As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forum Based Adventuring Companies

MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizardRegistered User regular
So I have had this idea cooking in my brain for a while now. Would there be any interest in organizing a type of Living World setting on the forum? The forum takes the role of the large scale adventuring guild and could post quests/bounties (simple encounters, one shots, etc.) and then the participating groups would take the bounties, run the encounters then submit reports to the forum. They would get gold/rep and buy things from the guild shop (be they magic items, or even things like lodges, followers, anything we could come up with.)

We could even take it so far as to having our own campaign setting. Start small with a town and the surrounding area then expand as needed from there.

Just brain-storming. But would something like that interest anyone else?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I don't get it. Are you talking some kind of RPG with DMs and rules and dice etc? Or just free-form collaborative narrative?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Yes, like Pathfinder Society or Living Greyhawk. We would decide on a system like Pathfinder or DnD, GMs and their groups would signup and register their parties with a name and characters.

For instance if you and your group would sign up and have a group name like "101st Emerald Scouts" then we would have listings of little one or two session quests or bounties. Example - "Meadow Hills Region - Owl Bear Sighting" then your group would run the session and the GM would report back with results like who died, who got the kill, etc. etc. Those results would be posted and your group would be 'paid' for the bounty.

That stuff would be tracked, you'd have a party "Account" for treasure, etc. and you could buy stuff from the company store, that we would have a running list. Like you get 1000gp from the Owl Bear bounty and your group decides to spend that money to buy Cure Potions and a new Sword for your Paladin from the company store.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So let me get this straight, the idea is that we on the forums run games all set in the same world, everything that happens in said games is cannon, and we build an epic world from our games?

I would be down. I'd like to suggest 13th Age as it's kinda popular right now (or at least there was some talk about it in the General RPG thread recently) but the One Unique Thing aspect of characters might need to be removed or not so literal in it's meaning to keep people from stepping on toes.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    So let me get this straight, the idea is that we on the forums run games all set in the same world, everything that happens in said games is cannon, and we build an epic world from our games?

I would be down. I'd like to suggest 13th Age as it's kinda popular right now (or at least there was some talk about it in the General RPG thread recently) but the One Unique Thing aspect of characters might need to be removed or not so literal in it's meaning to keep people from stepping on toes.

Exactly. Anyone on the forums can write a little one-or-two session quest/bounty and submit it, a group claims it, and runs the session. We could even track the bounties/gold/rewards/groups on a spreadsheet in a google doc.

Details of the world/setting we would come up with ourselves.

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular

Or maybe trade in the One Unique Thing for one that applies to the game world at large instead of the character?

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    You could also add them to a small private wiki over time, to flesh out the world-spaces and define areas more and more as people explore the boundries.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but haven't we talked about something like this before?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool idea, but it will take time and organization for it to be successful.

So, before people get super hyped, you might want to outline exactly how much time and effort whoever is organizing this is going to give on a weekly or monthly basis.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    No what you have is a setting where you start out in a city

You do all city quests, never leaving the confines

And then by level four or whatever you have to do your requisite sewer quest

Only what they don't know is that the sewers are an Escher-esque nightmare, and when things go sideways in that quest, they're going to be forced to come out of a different sewers access than the one they came in

And suddenly they're in an entirely different city, of a different culture and technological level

You see, all cities share the same sewer

All cities across all planes

There is only one sewer

Motion to make this the base setting

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG