As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Indie Comics You Should Be Reading 2016

2»

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Criminal's anniversary issue was great, easily one of the best entries in a series that has been strong throughout.

Switch #3 was good ol' fun.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    I dropped The Discipline. #3 just still hadn't grabbed me. On the other hand, I picked up the first issue of Weavers, which while not rock-my-socks-off is solid and could prove quite interesting.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    So the opening bit by Kim Kirsch in Island #7 was my complete jam. Just a beautiful wordless (well in human language) set of scenes of day to day alien life. Very little in the way of a straight narrative but such a comfortable form of world building that I'm all about. An alien travel brochure.

It fit very well into what I would consider "hangout comics" which is what I would consider a lot of Brandon Graham's work. These wonderful breezy comics that are more a vibe than a story. Where you kinda just wanna drop in, live in the world for a bit and just hang out.

Gah. Island is an embarrassment of riches.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    I have read Weird Detective #1. And it is good. Dark Horse has been doing this thing where it runs most of the first issue in installments in Dark Horse Presents and then pitches the new series, presumably hoping to hook an audience that way. Sneaky, but effective. DHP itself has been doing well - I wasn't so sure about the Tarzan angle, but it's been surprisingly fun.

Also following Cinema Purgatorio, currently on issue #2 - honestly, I liked Code Pru better, but it's early days and as a no-hold's-barred anthology comic it's sort of the grown-up, edgy version of DHP. Like what kids in the 90s imagined they'd grow into after seeing Henry Rollins. Lot of great ideas, but each so short you're left wanting more.

Final thoughts: The Control. We've been getting some really good crime comics lately with stuff like The Fix, but this is better. Much better, actually. Almost Howard Chaykin-ish, but less tongue-in-cheek.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    ...and so, G. I. Joe vs. Transformers has ended. It was magnificent.

Also, I really enjoy the comic adaptation of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    Satan Sodomy Baby II is out - basically, Eric Powell's catharsis over how bizarre and stupid the world has gotten, covering everything from the death of Macho Man Randy Savage to the Manara Spider-Woman cover to (of course) Donald Trump's nomination. Story-wise, the first one was much better, and I guess I was hoping to see the Goon in this one too, but for what it is...it's kind of nice to get a peek into the uncensored mind sometimes, but it's not really something I'd re-read.

On the other hand, Powell's Hillbilly #1 is excellent, and I want more of that!

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Not sure if I'm in the right thread or not, but I went a-googling a few days ago to see when I could expect more Uber goodness.

I found a kickstarter (I think linking to them is forbidden so I won't just in case) for the next lot which has a pledge level that comes with the first 5 volumes in a slipcase as well as digital copies of the first 6 issues - was about to tell my fiancee I'd found my birthday present when I saw how shipping outside the US added about 40% to the price.

Sad face.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    So, make a friend in the US, have it mailed to them, and they mail it to you. Takes a little longer, but costs less.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    Booting this back up because life is getting interesting again...

Peepshow, which is part of a new hard crime line, came out last week and is really rocking my socks for reasons unrelated to the nipples on display. I really dig the art aesthetic and the writing for some reason; it's less silly than The Fix and yet more fun than Control. It reminds me of The Last Days of American Crime, but more slick and relaxed - both good things.

Britannia is a quasi-occult detective/horror yarn set in ancient Rome - different aesthetic to Caligula, which I think is a good thing. First issue was a little light on plot and heavy one exposition, but it's really just set-up and I'm kind of digging the worldbuilding.

The Josie and the Pussycats issue of Afterlife with Archie was very solid; I really like how they keep finding new twists on an old favorite - this is a lot more daring than anything being put out by the Big Two these days.

Demonic - I picked up the third issue, but it might be my last unless it gets more interesting fast. Great visuals, okay storyline; there's still some mysteries to be revealed, but I'm not sure it's worth the wait to see what they are.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I've really been pleasantly surprised by Afterlife with Archie.

steam_sig.png
  • Edward CharetteEdward Charette Registered User regular
    better late than never. Would surely start off one by one before 2016 would pass.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Motro is a neat comic. The vibe very much fits in with the stuff that's generally in Island, but spun off into a full book. Kinda like a fantasy version of Prophet, where it's just nonstop inventive weirdness and you go along for the ride. Plus the art is great.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Empowered: Soldier of Love #1 was a good laugh. And the guest art is good.

I wish Adam Warren's stuff came out faster.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    New Empowered release at least has been announced.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy