As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your multi OP [movies] n golden globes thread

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I just realized that Fury Road was the first media I've seen in a long time where the badass and capable female wasn't completely reduced to a either a macGuffin, lesbian, doting love interest, or helpless damsel in distress.

Star Wars did this too. I hope it's a trend that catches on.

bring back young justice

I liked how

Young Justice s2 spoilers
    M'gan becomes like the most dangerous member of the team, and her reckless use of her psychic power scares the hell out of everyone that's seen her use it.

you get that in season 1

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I just got out from a showing of The Witch. And it is a tremendous film that I feel is going to be very divisive. I haven't seen a horror film (at least released in mainstream theaters) in so long that had no interest in being fun or being clever or playing with form. It is just an early American folktale told horrifically straight. And as a folklore nerd...I loved it.

Though for all of its historical accuracy I can't for the life of me figure out how they had access to electric sheers to trim their goats. Those dairy goats were damn show ready.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Caught up on Marvel stuff over the weekend:
    Thor 2: was alright. Liked it better than the first one, but still lukewarn. I think those are just Not For Me
    Cap Winter Soldier: awesome, just awesome,
    Guardians: good (I think it's safe to say that pretty much all Marvel movies are at least 'good'), but I am not nearly as enthusiastic about it as many seem to be. Was alright. Didn't hate it. Whatever. Had some good bits.
    Age of Ultron: liked it a lot, even though Ultron's design and mannerisms irritated me (I expected something more robotic, not as personality-driven)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I just realized that Fury Road was the first media I've seen in a long time where the badass and capable female wasn't completely reduced to a either a macGuffin, lesbian, doting love interest, or helpless damsel in distress.

curious as to why "lesbian" is on this list of things to be reduced to

• Options
    edited February 2016

Probably because of the media stereotype of lesbians being basically masculine to the point of absurdity.
    e: basically caricatured butch lesbians, who DON'T TAKE NO GUFF FROM NO MAN

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

Probably because of the media stereotype of lesbians being basically masculine to the point of absurdity.

Okay, but that's being reduced to a crass media stereotype, not being reduced to a "lesbian" which is a real thing actual people are and not an inherently negative one.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    And that has to be explicitly spelled out for you to consider that is what is being said?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Goatmon wrote: »

Star Wars did this too. I hope it's a trend that catches on.

bring back young justice

I liked how

Young Justice s2 spoilers
    M'gan becomes like the most dangerous member of the team, and her reckless use of her psychic power scares the hell out of everyone that's seen her use it.

you get that in season 1
    Only a little, and the scary stuff wasn't intentional.

It's in S2 when she gets really reckless with it.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

edit: I'm also curious how they are going handle the Major's sexuality in Ghost in the Shell.
    The major went full cybernetic before puberty. On the one hand, she's seen with several partners in what appears to be a poly relationship in the comic, but then the movies (from what I've seen) and the shows play up a relationship with Bato that seems to go beyond respect and teammates.

Need to watch the newer series to more information.

What I'm saying is that there's a lot of good ways the studios could go with this, and many ways that will promote the same reactions as M. Night's Last Airbender.

The best way to handle it is to keep her professional and not bother padding the run-time with unnecessary, gratuitous love scenes, a fault which frankly the original material suffered from.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    el_vicio wrote: »
    And that has to be explicitly spelled out for you to consider that is what is being said?

No, but why not word it in a way that doesn't imply being a lesbian is a negative thing? Even if that's not what was intended, there are enough things out there that do intend to convey that message without adding things that inadvertently do. I feel it's worth pointing out there are better ways to say that.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I may have over-read into it, but one message/scene I always liked in Young Justice regarding M'gann was
    Everyone accepting her M'gann form as who she truly is because that's who she is inside, and accepting that it wasn't her fault she was born how she was, and letting her be who she feels she is.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I may have over-read into it, but one message/scene I always liked in Young Justice regarding M'gann was
    Everyone accepting her M'gann form as who she truly is because that's who she is inside, and accepting that it wasn't her fault she was born how she was, and letting her be who she feels she is.

I mean, that scene is really important and a big reason why the show is so popular with girls

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm failing to remember why, but had the thought that strong hetero female characters were avoided but strong lesbian female characters were embraced, tying their strength to their sexuality rather than their character.

I think I was trying to remember the last time I saw media portraying a hetero woman capable of action who had husband/partner.

Actually, that might have been me hating several lazy tropes concerning writing empowered women and getting them mixed up.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    There's not really anything in Fury Road indicating that Furiosa or any of the wives are hetero.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    There's not really anything in Fury Road indicating that Furiosa or any of the wives are hetero.

That's the best part.

Their abilities and capabilities are not tied to their sexuality! :D

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

edit: I'm also curious how they are going handle the Major's sexuality in Ghost in the Shell.
    The major went full cybernetic before puberty. On the one hand, she's seen with several partners in what appears to be a poly relationship in the comic, but then the movies (from what I've seen) and the shows play up a relationship with Bato that seems to go beyond respect and teammates.

Need to watch the newer series to more information.
    Admittedly I've only seen the first season and half of the second season, but my impression of the Bato/Motoko relationship was that it was very much one-sided. Bato 100% had it real bad for her, but she seemed to view him in a mostly professional context. I think she is portrayed as being very much aware of his feelings though, and even uses them to her advantage in the season finale of Stand Alone Complex (using Bato's genuine distress at her 'death' to make it look convincing).

I did see the first movie as well, but I kind of view that as an alternate universe from the show. The Major seems to have a very different personality when comparing the show and the movie.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm failing to remember why, but had the thought that strong hetero female characters were avoided but strong lesbian female characters were embraced, tying their strength to their sexuality rather than their character.

I think I was trying to remember the last time I saw media portraying a hetero woman capable of action who had husband/partner.

Actually, that might have been me hating several lazy tropes concerning writing empowered women and getting them mixed up.

I think I know what you're talking about

It bothers me when the woman who has what might be considered a more "masculine" profession or hobby is a lesbian, as though no straight woman would ever do or be those things

Not to say that there aren't lesbians who are those things, but there are also ones who aren't

It's one of those stereotypes that feels reductive in multiple ways!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

I think I know what you're talking about

It bothers me when the woman who has what might be considered a more "masculine" profession or hobby is a lesbian, as though no straight woman would ever do or be those things

Not to say that there aren't lesbians who are those things, but there are also ones who aren't

It's one of those stereotypes that feels reductive in multiple ways!

What I am trying to say is that I have often had the feeling that roles for women always seem to come with an asterisk.

Fury Road and Star Wars did not give me that feeling, and that made me happy.

• Options
    I saw Creed today

It was fucking rad, haven't been that impressed by a movie in a long time

The only thing I would have changed is
    he should have won. I know that in all the best Rocky films he loses, and winning isn't what makes those movies triumphant, but they really built up that antagonist to be a shitbird, and they built up the crescendo of that fight to the point where a knockout seemed like the only way to achieve true catharsis

And then he doesn't do either!

Kind of not a fist-pumping ending, really

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I saw Creed today

he should have won. I know that in all the best Rocky films he loses, and winning isn't what makes those movies triumphant, but they really built up that antagonist to be a shitbird, and they built up the crescendo of that fight to the point where a knockout seemed like the only way to achieve true catharsis

There was no way in hell he should have won that fight. Adonis had been in one actual fight ever, and he was up against the friggin world champion. The fact he even managed to knock the dude down was fucking amazing.

• Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    I saw Creed today

There was no way in hell he should have won that fight. Adonis had been in one actual fight ever, and he was up against the friggin world champion. The fact he even managed to knock the dude down was fucking amazing.
    Oh like logic of that kind has any place in a Rocky sequel

If you're going to do it at least execute on that knockdown more, give me some slow mo or something, it felt like his triumph just sort of came and went almost immediately

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    I saw Creed today

Oh like logic of that kind has any place in a Rocky sequel

If you're going to do it at least execute on that knockdown more, give me some slow mo or something, it felt like his triumph just sort of came and went almost immediately
    The triumph was people actually taking him seriously. That fight brought him from 'Apollo's unwanted kid' to 'crazy talented future champion.' He won that fight by not getting immediately clowned, though he came pretty damn close. If he'd actually won that fight I would've liked the movie a lot less.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ava DuVernay will be directing A Wrinkle in Time for Disney, with the script from the screenwriter of Frozen.

That will

Make a lot of money

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Ava DuVernay will be directing A Wrinkle in Time for Disney, with the script from the screenwriter of Frozen.

That will

Make a lot of money

*looks up synopsis*

Oh yeah

It even has something called a tesseract

Tie it into the MCU

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I sure hope it's a good adaptation. I love that damn book.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So, my best friend has his birthday this past weekend.

And I had to repay him for this...
    Zonugal wrote: »
    As a belated birthday gift my best-friend & roommate got me a collection of dvds.

He typically purchases these around an actor, so last year I got a whole bunch of Mel Gibson films which I was super jazzed about because I love old school Gibson.

But this year...

This year...
    • Big Daddy
    • Mr. Deeds
    • 50 First Dates
    • Click
    • Bedtime Stories
    • Grown Ups
    • Just Go With It
    • Jack & Jill
    • That's My Boy
    • Hotel Transylvania
    • Blended

And my exact reaction was something akin to this:

796e694ad32182b13a02839d7de1a7b3.jpg

So last night I gifted him his movies.
    • Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo
    • The Animal
    • The Hot Chick
    • Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo

And I warned him I can keep this up, and advocated that he take this as an opportunity to call a truce.

But he said nay! And he boasted that he can go worse than Adam Sandler.

And at that I told him I have in my back pocket an actor he despises, an actor who he fucking hates and I will unleash him come next February if he continues this war.
    Chris-Kattan-artist.jpg

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Send eachother copies of Jeff Dunham shows forever

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    A Wrinkle In Time is my narnia

so

please don't fuck up

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Fuck all y'all, Corky Romano is a charming comedy.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Is that Jimmy Fallon or Chris Kattan (sp?)

I can never tell them apart

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    there is room for a really good a wrinkle in time movie but it will be so easy to mess up

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

That will

Make a lot of money

So she walked out of the negotiation room for Black Panther, stood there for 3 seconds, and then walked back in to sign on for a different Disney movie

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Ava DuVernay is a very interesting, and competent, choice to direct it at least

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

That will

Make a lot of money

So she walked out of the negotiation room for Black Panther, stood there for 3 seconds, and then walked back in to sign on for a different Disney movie

Yes. Disney produces a lot of movies.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I'm more concerned about the disney side of it because madeleine l'engle's books are so weird in a way that isn't really easily marketable the way disney would want it to be

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    I'm more concerned about the disney side of it because madeleine l'engle's books are so weird in a way that isn't really easily marketable the way disney would want it to be

You mean like the part where the big message of a wrinkle in time is hard against the idea of a giant controlling entity that pumps out a bunch of people who all look and act the same?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So, my best friend has his birthday this past weekend.

And I had to repay him for this...
    As a belated birthday gift my best-friend & roommate got me a collection of dvds.

He typically purchases these around an actor, so last year I got a whole bunch of Mel Gibson films which I was super jazzed about because I love old school Gibson.

But this year...

This year...
    • Big Daddy
    • Mr. Deeds
    • 50 First Dates
    • Click
    • Bedtime Stories
    • Grown Ups
    • Just Go With It
    • Jack & Jill
    • That's My Boy
    • Hotel Transylvania
    • Blended

And my exact reaction was something akin to this:

796e694ad32182b13a02839d7de1a7b3.jpg

So last night I gifted him his movies.
    • Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo
    • The Animal
    • The Hot Chick
    • Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo

And I warned him I can keep this up, and advocated that he take this as an opportunity to call a truce.

But he said nay! And he boasted that he can go worse than Adam Sandler.

And at that I told him I have in my back pocket an actor he despises, an actor who he fucking hates and I will unleash him come next February if he continues this war.
    Chris-Kattan-artist.jpg
    https://youtu.be/lztwjgD10Yw

Every time someone mentions racist ass melly gibsons I think of this and smile.

• Options
    I think I more clearly remember a wind in the door than a wrinkle in time, actually

with angels and mitochrondria and then another level inside mitochondria and charles wallace is like the universe to them

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Man

I love Wrinkle in Time

its so fuckin nuts in a comic book sci fi way

• Options
    edited February 2016
    also, explicitly christian science fantasy

with those okeefe books being just regular old realistic fiction but in the same continuity as all the weird stuff

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.