As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA members in the Military

• Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Chair Force here.

Love it. Suggest it to anyone. Just, uh, try not to get a shitty job.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    quiz461outcome1.jpg

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    Captain UglyheadCaptain Uglyhead Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    guys if you are in the military

do they train you on video games or not like how the tv people say

or is it like simulators

i bet it is simulators

augmented with, y'know, real actual training

Captain Uglyhead on
    Spiderweb Software makes fun, reasonably priced games for PCs and Macs. Big demos, too!
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm in the U.S. Coast Guard but then again i think we're not very mlitary.

please tell me you're kidding.

oh be quiet you. By just reading your screen name and your icon and sig I can tell you're some kind of military weirdo.

The way I have seen things run in the CG compared to Navy and the Army the CG is a silly bunch but we make more sense as "homeland security"

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I used realistic simulators for M-16, M-4, M-203, and M-9 training. Ie: I had a mock gun and had projector screens around me and had to shoot at legal targets while avoiding non-hostile ones. Of course, we do more security/law enforcement then the other branches so I never did the squad-based sims that the Army/Jarheads have.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    Sgt EversmanSgt Eversman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

oh be quiet you. By just reading your screen name and your icon and sig I can tell you're some kind of military weirdo.

Grandpa on my dad's side was 1Lt. on a WWII minesweeper in the pacific. On my moms, a Marine. My brother just got back from his last tour in Iraq with 3rd MEU. (Technically a navy corpsman, but for all the action he saw he might as well have been a marine)

Sgt Eversman on
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    We have a new VR boat room on my base sorta. It has a mock bridge of the new boats we're getting and has 3 huge screen outside the windows that project boaty stuff. You see guys running around and boats in the distance that require either assistance or destruction.

In basic I trained on a driving a boat simulator. It was very laggy and I got tk'd by a beach.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Grandpa on my dad's side was 1Lt. on a WWII minesweeper in the pacific. On my moms, a Marine. My brother just got back from his last tour in Iraq with 3rd MEU. (Technically a navy corpsman, but for all the action he saw he might as well have been a marine)

well there you go. I for one was walking to Subway to get a sandwich and saw a CG recruiter next door and said aw fuck it and went and joined up because I got tired of being a lifeguard at a retard/senior citizen pool. The YN1 there then bought me a sub. I sure showed him.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sgt EversmanSgt Eversman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I gotta say man that is not exactly a classy way of saying why you joined the CG.

Sgt Eversman on
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome.
  • Options
    Eastern GlowEastern Glow Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    One time I got so drunk in college I woke up and found myself in the middle of the Sahara fighting Arabs in the French Foreign Legion.

Eastern Glow on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    No I guess not. But boy howdy does it get the instructors pissed when I tell them my story. All the instructors are all hard for the guard here. Which is good I suppose since you would want true believers to teach the new generations.

Also like to call myself a modern American mercenary but I don't know if thats the right term. You see my plan is to get my new training, finish college all on the CGs dime and get out. In return they can use me to take out the trash or scrub dishes and fix their phones and network issues.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I gotta say man that is not exactly a classy way of saying why you joined the CG.

wtf

wtf is wrong with you

you want him to weave some heroic tale about how he decided to defend his country by keeping the homeland safe because he has 20 generations of coastal defense in his lineage blah blah blah

being in the military is just a job like any other, except that you might die doing it; someone has to do it

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm in the Navy and Shorty was or is.

altlat55 on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I used realistic simulators for M-16, M-4, M-203, and M-9 training. Ie: I had a mock gun and had projector screens around me and had to shoot at legal targets while avoiding non-hostile ones. Of course, we do more security/law enforcement then the other branches so I never did the squad-based sims that the Army/Jarheads have.

what the hell would a realistic simulator for the 203 be like

do you hold an m-16 and it goes "poo"

so have you actually fired all of these weapons?

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ZeroFill wrote: »

what the hell would a realistic simulator for the 203 be like

do you hold an m-16 and it goes "poo"

so have you actually fired all of these weapons?
    The 203 sim is more like one of those little practice driving screens for golfing. It measures the angle and strength that a bean-bag strikes the screen and calculates it out.

Yea, I've fired all of those plus the 60 and 249 in the sandbox. Mortar and claymore qual'd too.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    what the fuck would you do with claymores in the air force

hide them under people's office chairs as a practical joke?

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yea dude, you're not really up on what the AF does over in CENTCOM nowadays, are you?

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I saw the classic M-16 being fired at a target 100 meters away, and then the TAR-21 being fired at a target 100 meters away. The TAR blew the M-16 out of the fucking water.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Eastern GlowEastern Glow Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Topic: America spends more money on its military budget than the other top twenty countries put together.

Question: Is it really admissible for us to have such a large military budget when we can't even afford our population to have free healthcare, free higher education, or better environmental standards. Does the US really have it's priorities straight?

Alternate question: Dry and rough or wet and messy?

Eastern Glow on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yea dude, you're not really up on what the AF does over in CENTCOM nowadays, are you?

If you're talking about area security and individual augmentee duties, then that's all under Army control and not really an air force deal

just like the Navy's Inshore Boat Units and Riverine Patrol Units over there, doesn't make everyone Marines

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I saw the classic M-16 being fired at a target 100 meters away, and then the TAR-21 being fired at a target 100 meters away. The TAR blew the M-16 out of the fucking water.

I can't say I care for the M-16 but it's perfectly capable of killing people

We use M-14s quite a bit but they're heavy to carry on watch, and 50% of the people who use them can't hit a damn thing with it

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

If you're talking about area security and individual augmentee duties, then that's all under Army control and not really an air force deal

just like the Navy's Inshore Boat Units and Riverine Patrol Units over there, doesn't make everyone Marines
    Yea, but that doesn't mean they just toss us the equipment and say "go have fun, figure it out on your own".

I never, not will I ever claim to be a groundpounder. As much as I respect those two branches, I did my time on the ground over in the sandbox and I'm proud to be back at homestation supporting them from the comfort of my desk.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Topic: America spends more money on its military budget than the other top twenty countries put together.

Question: Is it really admissible for us to have such a large military budget when we can't even afford our population to have free healthcare, free higher education, or better environmental standards. Does the US really have it's priorities straight?

well

we could spend less, but the first place money would come from would be paychecks and R&D

and personally I already don't get paid enough, let alone the fuckers on their 4th tour in Iraq...and without keeping somewhat technologically ahead/with of the rest of the world (we're nowhere near on the forefront) we'll eventually become ineffective over time

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    natelukenateluke Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not to be on topic or anything, but I was USMC, then medical said get out.

nateluke on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Medical wrote:
    :arrow:

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i can't be in the military

my grandfather would be crushed

Homeless on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    my father's entire family was in the military

i am forbidden, however

it is a strange thing

he is afraid of

1. me going and getting killed in wars he thinks are bullshit
    2. the army turning me into a killer and me taking to it like a fish to water (like my uncle!)

Pony on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm in the Desu Brigade

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm in the Desu Brigade

6th regiment, the so-called "Lucky ^____^"

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    no i mean my grandpa is dead

he was a marine and had like a million stickers everywhere and stuff

Homeless on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm in the Desu Brigade

6th regiment, the so-called "Lucky ^____^"

haha, good god

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    semper desu

Homeless on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    my father's entire family was in the military

i am forbidden, however

it is a strange thing

he is afraid of

1. me going and getting killed in wars he thinks are bullshit
    2. the army turning me into a killer and me taking to it like a fish to water (like my uncle!)

so what are canadian casualties looking like so far

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Homeless wrote: »
    semper desu

pls die slowly

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Homeless wrote: »
    semper desu

desu leads the way

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    desu whale brigade. ^____________________^

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was in the navy.

Sort of.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Take it to D&D, ya pussy.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho