As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo 2 + Lord of Destruction! Let's play this classic.

UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
hj1TJIY.gif

It's time for Diablo 2.

0B6BPWc.jpg

I was watching Games Done Quick this year and saw a speedrun of this game (archive here) and the nostalgia hit me hard. The sound effects, visuals, everything just drew me right back in. I had to play it again. And I thought I would invite others to play as well, because it's still a great game.

XLxpS93.jpg

To this day I'm impressed with all the patches this game got even really late in its life. 1.10 was incredible, a total rebalance to the game that added skill synergies and made a lot more playstyles viable. And there was the Uber Diablo event, then Uber Tristram, new runewords, finally respecs...good stuff.

PgKlAH9.jpg

Unfortunately, Diablo 2 never really entered the modern era in terms of availability. To my knowledge it's not on any game services like Steam or GoG. However you can buy it directly from Blizzard digitally for $20 ($10 for D2, $10 for LoD). Personally I dusted off the boxes and broke out the old discs. Install disc, play disc, cinematics disc...

I could include a lot more info in this OP to bring people up to speed, but that's dependent upon if anyone else wants to play. I'mma keep playing regardless. My favorite class has always been the necromancer, I'm a summoner currently at level 59, but I'll start a new guy to play with others. I could also help rush some people through normal, though I'm not a pro at the game, I don't have teleport or anything.

I play USEast, softcore, ladder. USEast is said to be the most populated/active server. I always play ladder too for the great runewords you can make. The new ladder season just started again back at the end of November so it's not getting reset again anytime soon. If more people want to do other things, hardcore, or offline modded, whatever, that's cool. We can just reminisce here too. But it's fun to have a group to trade with.

If anyone wants to play online I suggest standard rooms named for their difficulty:

PAnorm
PAnm
PAhell

Password: wang

Bots are still around and pretty bad, they will whisper you constantly while playing. You can type /o igw to ignore all whispers from people not on your friend list. (full list of game commands here)

Come kill Baal one last time!

4jtgHdz.gif

Important links:

Arreat Summit - really informative and comprehensive wiki-thing for the game that's been around forever

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    No Sporky. NO I WONT DO IT AGAIN

• Options
    edited January 2016
    urahonky wrote: »
    No Sporky. NO I WONT DO IT AGAIN

But thou must!

EDIT: It seems like nobody wants to play it! That is ok! I will click click click by myself. 8-)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    just fyi i reinstalled it off the blizzard shit a few days ago and it requires a bunch of fiddling to work properly full screen on windows 10

its some real ass tier shit

rip

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    that's a bummer as I'm installing it right now

it's hard to play when diablo 3 is right there but in d3 there's no class I want to play compared to d2 where I can't pick between several.

it's actually something that has slowed me down with Grim Dawn (which is a great game, it's related to Titan's Quest which I'm sure plenty of people have played, also great) where there is definitely lots of fun to be had but no classes grab me the way the druid or necro did in d2.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Druid and necro are my favorites too.

At least in Windows 7, I can't play full screen on 1920x1080 but if I maximize the window it gets as big as it can maintaining the aspect ratio, which is good enough for me. Rarely I'll mouse outside of the window and click on the desktop but not often enough that it's a problem for me.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    While not available on services, once you buy it on your account on Blizz's website, it is tied to your account and you can go get it again whenever. It's just not in their modern client/launcher. Its so weird to log onto battle.net and be reminded of a time where they would delete your character/account if you didnt log in every 30'ish days. Paid sub MMO's would do this too. Imagine dropping wow for 3 months and coming back and your characters are gone. Insanity, even 10 years ago!

I'm looking forward to the vague promise of a 'remastering' of this game that Blizz said they wanted to do.

Druid and necro for life! Used to love the speed of werewolves. Every D-clone I play now is just the slowest slog ever. (except the chicken build in d3 I guess)

(Lagmancers unite!)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Necromancer life. <3

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    This game deserves more love, but I'm guessing that will only start when Blizzard starts putting in some new stuff into the game. We know it's happening, but not when.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    This game deserves more love, but I'm guessing that will only start when Blizzard starts putting in some new stuff into the game. We know it's happening, but not when.

Um.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    BEHOLD! Diablo 2 has received its first patch in over 4 years! Patch 1.14a!
    Blizzard wrote:
    It’s been a long time coming, but today we’re releasing 1.14a for Diablo II.

This update focuses on system glitches introduced by modern operating systems. In related news, you can finally retire those old Mac PowerPCs. Included with the update is a shiny new installer for OSX.

We’ve also begun working to improve our cheat-detection and hack-prevention capabilities. There’s still work to be done, but we’re making improvements every day.

There is still a large Diablo II community around the world, and we thank you for continuing to play and slay with us. This journey starts by making Diablo II run on modern platforms, but it does not end there. See you in Sanctuary, adventurers.

Good job, Blizzard. There goes my weekend.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Whoa! Except, it doesn't sound like it adds anything fun. But nice that they keep it up to date on occasion.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Nothin' earth-shattering, true, but it is nice to not have to play the game in windowed mode anymore.

It's also really neat that they even bothered. This game's almost old enough to vote.

RT800 on