As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bizarre Steam Problem

muninnmuninn Registered User regular
So I am valiantly trying to install Dragons Dogma through steam on my computer, and am running into an infuriating problem.
My initial install and download had a problem and I had to stop the download (right at the end of it), clear the local data and start again.
But whenever I try to start a new download on this computer, following things happen:

1) the usual lengthy process of hard drive space allocation takes only a second or two
2) The download starts at 1Gb downloaded, instead from beginning
3) The download lasts less than 30 seconds at which point network activity drops out completely and the hard drive activity goes crazy, slowing my computer to a crawl.

I tried to empty download folder in steam directory manually, which didnt help. Other games in my library seem to download and install correctly so Dragons Dogma is the only culprit. Steam client is up to date.

Any suggestions?

• Options
    NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    Was the initial download you were doing a pre-load? If it was you might check the depotcache directory, and see if it has some 1gb and smaller files. Pre-load files are encrypted and I think that's where it put them for me, the network activity dropout and high HD activity kind of sounds like it might be decrypting. Could let it carry on or try deleting depotcache if there's anything in there.

• Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    Nathrak wrote: »
    Was the initial download you were doing a pre-load? If it was you might check the depotcache directory, and see if it has some 1gb and smaller files. Pre-load files are encrypted and I think that's where it put them for me, the network activity dropout and high HD activity kind of sounds like it might be decrypting. Could let it carry on or try deleting depotcache if there's anything in there.

That seemed to be a problem. Thanks a million!