As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Did anyone see those cosplay chicks?

• TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Jinx FD wrote:
    I'm going to agree with Val... It was a lot of fun meeting RedMachineD. It was cool to know a name from the forums and be like "oooh! That's who you are! cool!" ... and even without knowing the name, the cape was pimp as hell.

Then I'm going to go and agree with Brookelyn. It would be fun to host a party since we missed out on the last one. **starts collecting consoles and tvs in anticipation** You're all going down in Mario Kart 64, biznitches! ;) I'm just kidding, I can't back that up... yet.

One thing that got me was all the geeks that were very obviously flirting with the Frag Dolls. I can't pretend I didn't think it would happen, but come on. They are hot girls that play games, they have the pick of any guy that does or does NOT play games. I doubt they would date anyone at PAX over anyone they already know in real life, and I'm also willing to bet that most of them already have boyfriends.

Yes, it is my dream to one day have a girlfriend that actually likes to play games, as it is most of ours. I just couldn't find myself in the position to hit on them as much as other people did at PAX and on the forums.

TrainwreckX on
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    meh, i don't really want a girlfriend period because i'm a bitter old man

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Guy gamers have always flirted with girl gamers. It one of those natural evolutionary relationships, like peanut butter and jelly. I think both sides take it in stride and have fun - just so long as it's not serious. I can say that, though, since I didn't collect crowds of guys like the tourney girls. If there's one thing I learned this weekend, it's this:

If guys flirt with girl gamers, they'll trip over themselves flirting with the ones who can kick their ass. Now we just need to get so many girls playing that we're as common as guys. :) If that doesn't make both sides happy, there's no hope for world peace.

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
    edited September 2004
    Borfase wrote:

Borfase, this quote is for you:
    "A girl is no substitute for a Playstation 2."

A friend of mine has that shirt. :)

EDIT: ... because I'm a moron, I'll just have two posts instead of one tidy edited post. :/

Jinx on
    linkstick.gif
    edited September 2004
    Jinx FD wrote:
    Jinx FD wrote:
    Guy gamers have always flirted with girl gamers. It one of those natural evolutionary relationships, like peanut butter and jelly. I think both sides take it in stride and have fun - just so long as it's not serious. I can say that, though, since I didn't collect crowds of guys like the tourney girls. If there's one thing I learned this weekend, it's this:

If guys flirt with girl gamers, they'll trip over themselves flirting with the ones who can kick their ass. Now we just need to get so many girls playing that we're as common as guys. :) If that doesn't make both sides happy, there's no hope for world peace.

EDIT:
    Borfase wrote:

Borfase, this quote is for you:
    "A girl is no substitute for a Playstation 2."

A friend of mine has that shirt. :)

i actually used to own that shirt. it has been lost in the many moves i've done.

Borfase on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Yeah, I saw someone with that shirt at PAX, and someone else at the bus station in Sacramento wearing it... I personally dont like the shirt, mainly because I dont like playstations...heh.. I play my Xbox and Gamecube a hell of alot more.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited September 2004
    I'm plotting to steal that shirt... even though it wouldn't have the same effect if I wore it. :(

Jinx on
    linkstick.gif
    edited September 2004
    i don't even care about consoles right now, all i need is my GBA SP and warcraft 3.

Borfase on
  • terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Jinx FD wrote:

That's funny, cause for me, assuming that I actually were to date a girl who played video games. I'd actually prefer a girl who could beat me 9 times out of 10 so I wouldn't have to let her win and I would get better by playing against her.

As far as flirting goes, I hope I never came off as flirting to the girls I talked to there since there was a certain level of excitement in me when I did talk to them. I mean for me I was just hyped about meeting a female that liked games, the same ones I liked to even more of my surprise(generally I hear girls lean more towards puzzle games, The Sims, and a few really unique ones are into RPG's, etc). It was the novelty of the whole situation so naturally I was really excited. I could hold conversations with them about something I was really interested in and they were really interested in, I could crack obscure jokes about Drake of the 99 Dragons, and they'd get it and crack one back. I really had no real interest in the girls because nothing at all could ever come of it since I live on opposite sides of the country and I'm the date the girl I might want to marry type. I did however want to make new friends and become friends with a few of them even if all we did was chat on IM. It did give me hope that maybe somewhere, tucked away deep in the bowels of NC there lies a girl similar to the ones I met at PAX that is meant for me. One can only hope. Here girls are all like "boys and their silly games, won't they ever grow out of it", due mostly to the predominent southern culture.

terrix on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2004
    Sphyx wrote:
    I've personally never seen a video game booth at an anime con, but anyway.
    I'm a several year staffer at animexpo, the biggest anime con in the USA. Last year, one of our biggest sponsors was Gravity Interactive. http://www.anime-expo.org/sponsors2004.html If you're not familiar with them, they are the creators of Ragnarok Online (RO), a sickeningly cute MMORPG that I can't stand. We had multiple RO Panels, and a headache inducing RO tournament that lasted for hours. (my views are not those of AX blah blah blah, and I didn't mind having them there at all... I would just rather leave the RO events to AX staffers that care about RO)

There were some internal discussions about whether the decision to accept RO as a sponsor implied a change in focus for animexpo, but that is a large can of worms that I leave to the senior staff.
    Sphyx wrote:
    No one complains about the video game cosplayer because anime cons have the tendency to celebrate Japanese media in general, and not just focus on the animation side. It's figured that since anime stemmed from manga, why not throw some manga in. And hey, the fans do some great work drawing, comicking and writing, let's give them a slice of the pie as well. And anime fans and j-pop/j-rock fans are almost one in the same, let's get some j-rock/j-pop people involved and set up some booths. And we can't forget the weapons fans, so let's get some people to come set up a display of Japanese-style weapons, and some place with kimonos too. I've seen it happen at other anime conventions, and I'm sure some of you have too.

To take those one at a time:

1) Manga has always been closely intertwined with anime. Suggesting that manga has no place at an anime convention is absurd. The vast majority of anime starts as a manga.
    2) fan-created works about anime at a convention for anime fans... am I missing something, or are you claiming that a convention about anime fandom shouldn't include fan created works from anime?
    3) anime fans and jrock fans have surprisingly little overlap. A noticable number of the people who show up for jrock are there mostly for the jrock concerts, and only show up for a little of the other stuff. They're easily identifiable by their clothing, and you generally see them wandering around the convention aimlessly waiting for the next jrock event.
    4) The weapons booths are the bane of every anime con. The vendor hall at any convention tends to be open invite. If you pay your money, and don't disrupt the convention, you get your booth. The only reason they are there is because they have paid the several hundred dollars for booth space, and know that they will make it back during the first hour or so of con. The booths seek out the conventions, not the other way around.

Kimono booths are prevalent for the same reasons as weapons booths, except without the constant peacebonding requests, calls to security, and lines outside first aid. (whoever started the mock fighting with bokens this year, I'd like to smack around)

5) You do know that any popular fighting game gets an anime or manga made after it, right? Do you know that there are something like 3 Naruto video games by now? I've even seen Lord of the Rings doujinshi, though in this case I wish I hadn't.

As far as frag dolls go, I think everyone's big fear is that they'll be gaming's Anna Kournikova. Be the gaming's Maria Sharapova instead, and everyone will be happy. Win first, pose later.

Cosplay is not just about getting attention. As far as I can tell, the main appeal is to basically have another halloween or costume party, especially for the youngest crowd. Your typical cosplayer is having a lot of fun making their costume and meeting other cosplayers to show off their hard work. The rest of us, who probably don't even attend a costume party at around halloween, aren't exactly important to them. It's not for everyone, but neither is gaming. Show a little more respect!

Unknown User on
  • SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I can't really speak for most guys on the subject of flirting for a number of reasons, but I will say that I noticed a lot of dudes, at least in jest, going after the Frag Dolls. Can't blame them, but I can't join them either. I don't like flirting, even when I don't have a girlfriend, because I like serious relationships that I try to build through better friendship. On that note, I /love/ having tons of friends and generally surrounding myself with humanity. I have at least two of every major system so that I can throw down 8 player Halo or Double Dash at a whim, or take it online to make it 16.
    I don't know how many others are like this, but when I'm talking to anyone at all, I seem very excited. That's because I like to really get passionate about whatever I'm doing, and that passion translates into some very intense speech. If I happened to be chatting with a female gamer, she might get the wrong impression and think I'm taking a roundabout way to a pickup line. :P
    I guess maybe the best thing I can do is use an example my girlfriend so kindly explained for me. When she's playing a game somewhere and some guy starts blatantly flirting with her, she takes the compliment and reminds him that he's in a game, and she's got a perfect head shot lined up. Out of a game, she appreciates the attention, but like me, would much rather have a gang of friends than a relationship. We only work together because we're both silly romantics.
    For gamer guys that are looking for gamer girls in serious relationships, my best word on the subject is to invite girls you think may be interested in games to local gaming venues. If your town doesn't have a nice gaming venue, throw down a good ol' LAN party, or console party, and invite them to that. Make a friend first, then see if you're compatible beyond that first layer of gaming. My girlfriend adds that she would at least be flattered if someone invited her to a gaming event rather than the typical dinner/movie or concert, and that even if she had no interest she would appreciate the thought.

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
    edited September 2004
    Terrix, I couldn't say whether you were flirting or not. A lot of guys didn't. Most of the guys I talked to I didn't perceive as flirty, just really cool people to talk to. A lot of guys did flirt, though. I'm not saying they're terrible people for flirting, because it's a natural interaction between guys and girls. Most of them probably didn't even know it... I was once told I was a terrible flirt, and I had no clue I had been doing any flirting. I had thought I was just making friends...

short version: flirting is in the eye of the beholder, I guess? It's not a big deal either way. Non-gamer guys flirt with Non-gamer girls all the time, and gamers aren't a differen't species.

Jinx on
    linkstick.gif
    edited September 2004
    Jinx: Yeah, I was really self-concious about it while I was there though. A lot of the girls I met there did arouse a certain level of interest, but I was careful to keep my natural instinct to flirt with them under control the whole time and was never really sure if I was crossing the line. I was even self-consicious about asking two of you FD girls for a picture, while really I just wanted a picture to go with the memory of seeing this group at PAX, I was worried it would be taken as "he thinks we're hot and just wants a pic to take home to fawn over"....which was only slightly true. :lol: Same goes for just about every girl I met there, the thought occured at one point or another as whether or not I was coming off as some fanboy who was excited to see "chicks". I then put it out of my head as I realized I wouldn't see them again and I was taking pictures of cool guys I met while I was there as well, so it didn't matter. I had heard complaints in the past about girls going to events like that and having to beat off annoying guys with a stick who were constantly bothering them just cause they were an attractive girl and wouldn't just let them do their thing, I was trying not to cross the line to being one of those guys. Introducing girls into a previously male-dominated culture, particularly attractive ones, creates all sorts of awkward social situations where it hasn't been addressed what and what is not percieved as acceptable behavior towards girls, what is sexist, and what is not, what is the right way to approach a girl your interested in or when is it acceptable to do so or when you should leave her alone, or how you talk to her without coming off as flirty and just joking around and being interested in what she has to say. Then keep in mind a lot of these guys(including myself somewhat) lack any great deal of social experience to begin with outside their circle which didn't include women.

SquallSeeD31:
    Good advice, I actually know a girl I am interested in that might just need a push into the world of LAN parties, etc, as she already likes a lot of non-gaming things I'm into like LOTR and some anime, and was wondering what I could take her to other then the standard dinner and a movie. She lives in another city though. I throw my own LAN parties with friends so that won't be a problem. I am 85% sure she interested in me too but I was wondering if there was something more casual then a date I could bring her too that would let me get to know her better first.

terrix on
  • chef_socrateschef_socrates Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    ...I don't know if i've said it before but, in my experience, girl gamers aren't too hard to find. Girls who play FPS games are harder to find than girls who play RPG's, sure...but it's really not that hard. Maybe it's because some of you have been out of highschool for a while, or maybe it's just different here. I know for a fact it wasn'tjust my school where you could find girl gamers, i found some in all corners of the lower mainland. I have noticed the difference in finding girls who game in grade 8 all the way up to last year (grade 12) however. Shit, my own girlfriend managed to play FFX for 14 hours, sleep 6, then play for another 10. I geussgames are getting more mainstream, because they're getting prettier :P. I know, i love the old school, but i can't really find any other reason for so many more girls liking games.

chef_socrates on
    edited September 2004
    terrix wrote:
    Good advice, I actually know a girl I am interested in that might just need a push into the world of LAN parties, etc, as she already likes a lot of non-gaming things I'm into like LOTR and some anime, and was wondering what I could take her to other then the standard dinner and a movie. She lives in another city though. I throw my own LAN parties with friends so that won't be a problem. I am 85% sure she interested in me too but I was wondering if there was something more casual then a date I could bring her too that would let me get to know her better first.
    That's actually a very interesting point that I'm glad you brought up. Not everyone shows their interest in games. My girlfriend, for example, is deathly scared of showing her interest in gaming because she fears being branded a social pariah, and doesn't think she can survive socially on gaming alone. That's fine, she's just shy. She does however have a serious interest in some less mainstream music. Taking her to a trendy coffee shop where a trendy independent artist was playing would score more points than hitting up the No Doubt concert. Likewise, I know a lot of girls who are all about Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and /games/, but they only really express their interest in LOTR or Star Wars. The answer there is definitely convetions! You can have a ton of fun at a convention. I don't know where you live, but nearly every major city in America has a sci-fi con, and there are some worth traveling for (Anime Expo, Comic Con). Most of these events have game rooms and room parties with consoles. I can't tell you how much fun I had playing DDR at a Sci-Fi con with a girl I had been looking at who seemed like a very inaccessible physics geek until she expressed her love for Dynamite Rave Heavy.

SquallSeeD31 on
  • Bat-Winged BoyBat-Winged Boy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    The funniest part about flirting with FragDolls:

Most the guys who could get away with flirting with gamer girls at PAX had enough class to avoid it.

Bat-Winged Boy on
    edited September 2004
    The funniest part about flirting with FragDolls:

Most the guys who could get away with flirting with gamer girls at PAX had enough class to avoid it.

YEAH LIKE ME

Borfase on
    edited September 2004
    Borfase has more class than Harvard. It's /tact/ he lacks. :D
    I still love you.

SquallSeeD31 on
    edited September 2004
    tact is for losers.

i have a reputation amongst everyone at school and my friends for being horribly blunt

Borfase on
  • Steve_HardOCPSteve_HardOCP Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Jinx FD wrote:
    short version: flirting is in the eye of the beholder,

it is easy for me to tell when I am flirting...I usually get PUNCHED in the eye of the beholder ;)

Steve_HardOCP on
    edited September 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    tact is for losers.

i have a reputation amongst everyone at school and my friends for being fabulously blunt

Fixed. You make bluntness sound like a bad thing. ;)

Jinx on
    linkstick.gif
    edited September 2004
    Jinx FD wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    tact is for losers.

i have a reputation amongst everyone at school and my friends for being fabulously blunt

Fixed. You make bluntness sound like a bad thing. ;)
    touche

Borfase on
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    And now for something completely different.

I just have to say, <edit>Firefly</edit> (the show) 0wns. That is all.

Edit: I'm dumb

Ninto on
    edited September 2004
    It does, I am so glad they have a movie coming out called Serenity. I watched the series on Netflix and will be buying it at some point. I also named my ship in Tradewars 2002 Serenity, just started playing that again haven't played since I was a sophmore in high school I think.

terrix on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    What the hell is Firefox? Unless your talking about Firefly, which does indeed kick ass, but ive not heard of this Firefox you speak of.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited September 2004
    Ugg, yeah I didn't even notice. No man, they had this series about the web browser which rules, its all I use now pretty much when I can get flash to work on it after upgrading.

I think we derailed it successfully.

terrix on
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Shush, it never happened. *whistle*

I now return you back to your regular programming.

Ninto on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Whichever one let me borrow their lighter is my favorite. Then again, I can't remember exactly who it was.

For some reason I think it was Valkyrie.

Yep, that was me and I can't tell you what a pleasure it was to meet you- you definately stuck out in my mind!

I was the one girls waterboy, you had the guy put me in the Rainbow 6 tourny just because of that.

Grath on
  • Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I'm so glad that I didn't flirt at all with any of the FD girls, especially Jinx.

*pants start on fire*

WTF??

*struck by lightning*

fuck...

Storm Shadow on
  • TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    what would it matter if you did?

nothing wrong with building their self confidence.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    Yep, that was me and I can't tell you what a pleasure it was to meet you- you definately stuck out in my mind!
    Jinx FD wrote:
    I'm going to agree with Val... It was a lot of fun meeting RedMachineD. It was cool to know a name from the forums and be like "oooh! That's who you are! cool!" ... and even without knowing the name, the cape was pimp as hell.
    Aw, I'm touched. :oops:

On the issue of flirting, ya'll... I've been told I am quite flirtatious at times. (I'm not fucking kidding.) However, there is a RIGHT time to flirt and a WRONG time to flirt.

Examples of RIGHT time: At a club, at a bar, during a game of pool, at Denny's, etc.

Examples of WRONG time: During a fucking videogame convention.

This is just me talking, though; I didn't come to PAX to score with females, I came to play videogames and meet people in general. Considering the games I played and the people I met, I'd say I did what I came to do, and I shall return again next year to do the same.

Oh, and if the FragDolls have a party, I'll bring a keg. :^:

edit: Stormy, you so crazy

Red Machine D on
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Flirting is awsome when its fun and innocent. I know I do it to every girl I talk to with out meaning to (most times), I guess its just the way I am. Its people who consider groping to be flirting you need to watch out for.

SuperFlyTNT on
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Most girls think my constant jokes and comments are me trying to flirt when in actuality, it's just the way I am. Ask D or anyone else that hung out with me this weekend. If me making jokes was flirting, then I would've made one hell of a wrong impression on a LOT of people.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    sPider817 wrote:
    Most girls think my constant jokes and comments are me trying to flirt when in actuality, it's just the way I am. Ask D or anyone else that hung out with me this weekend. If me making jokes was flirting, then I would've made one hell of a wrong impression on a LOT of people.
    Admit it, you were trying to score a gay 3-way from me and Crash. :lol:

Red Machine D on
  • PatwarePatware Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    sPider817 wrote:
    Admit it, you were trying to score a gay 3-way from me and Crash. :lol:

Damn, and I missed out on this?

Patware on
    3rd place in Gamer Bling, with the Gamecube Controller medallion.
    (2nd went to the guy with a Virtual Boy.)
    (1st to that psycho with the zapper, controller, and Power Glove.)
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Considering the enviroment, PAX flirting was based more along the lines of singling out Eekers and only Eekers during 4 straight matches of Black Arrow. Or having them say you were the only person (er team) that gave them a scare during the tourney.

Sadly they are all atleast 5 years older than me. I become legal ( 18 ) in March!

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    arent they all like in their early 20s??

next year im determined to get a piggy back ride from one of them.

ill spontaneously jump on their back if i have to.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • seppuku FDseppuku FD Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    yeah, we're all somewhere in our 20s. you know, i honestly just felt like the guys i talked to were regular cool gamer guys. not guys trying to hit on me. 10 out of 10 times i'd rather talk to a stranger at a gaming convention than a stranger at a club (no matter how good looking!) :P

seppuku FD on
    1-Get a frisbee from the store or friend.
    2-Clean the Frisbee
    3-Put something slippery on it, like butter or cream
    4-Get really super pissed
    5-Fold Frisbee hard
    6-Insert Frisbee into mouth hard
    7-Push hard until you can’t see it
    8-Wait
    9-Die
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2004
    :o I didn't get to go to PAX this round, and from what I saw and read I sure do plan on going next round...

As for the Cosplay, I am happy to see that the pictures and comments on the cosplay were relative to gaming characters. I really did like the outfits in the pictures, and I hope there are more cosplaying people there next round. It would be interesting if they did mock matches, scenes, etc...

As for the Frag dolls... That's totally sweet. Like ninja sweet. I always wondered how many lady players there are out there, and am seeing alot more crop up at work (I test Xbox Games)... This alone is a sign that at least ladies who enjoy games are starting to flaunt their skills... AT PLAYING GAMES! >perverts, sheesh< heheheh

I can understand why Ubi has formed a paid group to promote female gamers online... Alot of the ladies I speak to at work feel intimidated by the harsh and abrasive language and attitude of alot of the other gamers online. I hear this from alot of male gamers as well, so it's definitly not just because they are girls or guys... People now and days tend to have this disconnected attitude with other people online, especially with large scale MMO games... But I hope this trend dies down into a more humble accepting attitude...

At least you should get alot more respect from this gamer than some of the others, no matter who you are...

Unknown User on
    edited September 2004
    cosplayers are the devil

the devil

Borfase on