As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] - Skynet defeats Korean guy in an abstract strategy game. The end is nigh.

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    In terms of pinning and suppression, I was looking for a mechanic that allows people to act or move under fire but punishes them if they expose themselves to fire

Probably just gonna allow characters with guns to fire on reaction if someone moves out of cover or attacks from cover, and make firearms pretty lethal.

I don't know if this qualifies as "pinning", but in Earth Reborn you can "interrupt" when someone activates near you or crosses your LOS. So one way to abstract that into squad combat would be to allow the non-active player to interrupt to deny movement if that movement would cross LOS. Perhaps though a skill test or spending some resource.
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    That's a great game.

Oh, I meant to ask... was this from me mentioning Blue Moon? Because I'm wrapping my head around it and I wondered what makes it great.

What makes it really great is the back-and-forth mindgames once you and your opponent each become familiar with your decks. After you've played a few times, you have a pretty good idea of what your opponent is capable of, so it becomes a game of cat & mouse trying to bait out their strong cards at the right times.

Just an update on this -- my wife and I got to play some Blue Moon, and we both really like it, my wife especially. She really appreciates that it's easy to learn, easy to set up, quick to play, short turns, and no direct conflict. We've enjoyed Netrunner in the past, but having three toddlers has necessitated something a little shorter and lighter. Although she did ask me to put the Mimix deck far, far away because of... obvious reasons.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    In terms of pinning and suppression, I was looking for a mechanic that allows people to act or move under fire but punishes them if they expose themselves to fire

Probably just gonna allow characters with guns to fire on reaction if someone moves out of cover or attacks from cover, and make firearms pretty lethal.

Yeah a strong overwatch mechanic like that should produce the results you want in terms of people behaving in a way that is wary of gunfire.

I'd just say probably throw some kind of upper limit on it or something to make sure one dude with machinegun can't lockdown 3+ alleyways and 15+ people at once or whatever and you should be fine.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    That's pretty much how Infinity works.

If you see them, you get an overwatch shot.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Council of Blackthorn should actually ship in august, as advertised.

I read the rules again the other day. I'm pretty hopeful

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Huh. That's... out of nowhere. New AGOT board game, The Iron Throne.

...It's funny, I was sitting there reading the article, thinking, "Man, this sounds like a reskinned Cosmic Encounter..." and then I re-read the start of it, and it totally is.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

...It's funny, I was sitting there reading the article, thinking, "Man, this sounds like a reskinned Cosmic Encounter..." and then I re-read the start of it, and it totally is.

Literally the only thing I read was the caption "The Lannister player reveals the top card of the event deck, which indicates he should make a challenge against the Stark player" and immediately thought Cosmic. :+1:

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636

What an odd decision.

Also having only 25 powers versus cosmic encounter's base 50 + expansions makes it rather pointless.

Inquisitor wrote: »

What an odd decision.

Also having only 25 powers versus cosmic encounter's base 50 + expansions makes it rather pointless.

Maybe? But it probably doesn't have to worry about upsetting legacy fans by *having* to have every power ever in it, and can focus more on making better or easier-to-understand powers.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Council of Blackthorn should actually ship in august, as advertised.

I read the rules again the other day. I'm pretty hopeful

It's a slight delay from their last estimate though. I was signed up to get my copy at GenCon, and that doesn't look possible any more :(

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yeah a strong overwatch mechanic like that should produce the results you want in terms of people behaving in a way that is wary of gunfire.

I'd just say probably throw some kind of upper limit on it or something to make sure one dude with machinegun can't lockdown 3+ alleyways and 15+ people at once or whatever and you should be fine.

Definitely important; it's a hidden movement Alien style game, so I'm gonna have a light mechanic for ammo that will restrict overwatch shots and also considering having a facing/aim direction mechanic

The guy pointing his assault rifle down a corridor can wound or kill one or several people if they come down that hallway but can't fire in other directions on reaction, though he can see movement

Evil Multifarious on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I can't imagine the LED lights would ever work well either.

Just remember that's 60 of the KS finishing, NOT the product being delivered. All they have to do is go radio silent for a bit and no bad info would be released.

If they are IR LEDS and there is an IR camera watching the table and doing the computations it could work quite well. Kind of like the stuff CastAR people have shown off.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Fellow board game nerds, I'm looking for some examples of good, simple mechanics for suppression/pinning in war games, especially at the individual soldier level. I'm just fiddling with an idle game idea and looking for inspiration. inquisitor

@Evil Multifarious I haven't played it but lindybeige did some intro videos for a minis based WW2 game that looks very interesting with its mechanics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO81x71xaqk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ilgb2aky2U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9__1Q0mjTqU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ulzMZD5eTM

he also has some nice vids about making terrain and buildings and such

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    If they are IR LEDS and there is an IR camera watching the table and doing the computations it could work quite well. Kind of like the stuff CastAR people have shown off.

Way too complicated.
    The LEDs will work best if they are superfluous to the gameplay, and just sort've a shorthand way of checking for visual obstruction by a terrain block.

Sokpuppet on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I've always been interested in Cosmic Encounter, but not enough to pull the trigger. I remember it having a more... comedic? atmosphere? The Game of Thrones reskin seems like it could work, if one is less interested in the CE expansions and more interested as a GoT fan.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is not a tough product to figure out: FFG has no products that target the Game of Thrones fan that is only a casual boardgamer.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've always been interested in Cosmic Encounter, but not enough to pull the trigger. I remember it having a more... comedic? atmosphere? The Game of Thrones reskin seems like it could work, if one is less interested in the CE expansions and more interested as a GoT fan.

It's a really dated game that survives on good will alone.

That said it sells well, so it makes sense once you've ticked off a risk, monopoly and trivial pursuit reskin

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I didn't really have any nostalgia or good will for Cosmic Encounter and I think it works fine?

Like it's a bit of a pain to set up and explaining the hand mechanics can be a bit of a pain but it's still a fun game that plays pretty quick and works as the dumb fight fest it was meant to be.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Cosmic Encounter is the only board game I can think of that manages conflict without blame--there don't have to be hard feelings or vendettas after an attack because the game dictates who attacks who. That alone makes it uniquely accesible to players who don't like directly competitive experiences.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    My issue is that it massively overstays it's welcome. Rather like Munchkin. If you could confine it to under an hour it would be fine.

Everybody getting to four points is fun as you play with powers and victimise other players. And then the game grinds to a halt until you happen to draw a card or cards that lets you win or you give up and share a victory between all but one of you.

I've played half a dozen games with two distinct groups and this describes every one.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    My issue is that it massively overstays it's welcome. Rather like Munchkin. If you could confine it to under an hour it would be fine.

Everybody getting to four points is fun as you play with powers and victimise other players. And then the game grinds to a halt until you happen to draw a card or cards that lets you win or you give up and share a victory between all but one of you.

I've played half a dozen games with two distinct groups and this describes every one.

The fact that you consider a shared victory to be giving up is where your outlook and Cosmic's differ. The game flows much better if you don't care who's crossing that finish line with you as long as you get there.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

I went through a dark period where I was stuck with a group that LOVED this game and this describes every single one out of dozens.

In addition to the crazy anti-climatic endings, it seemed like one of those games where you could determine the winner right at setup (if you could see everyone's cards).

MrBody on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    My experience with it is that, generally speaking, it's always two people winning. The one whose turn is looks at the table, thinks of the cards he knows are available, and offers a winning pact to the person he feels has the best chance of letting him win. Then they go in, and if it works they win together, and if not the next turn the next guy does the same thing. Never actually seen a solo victory in that game.

Steam ID: Right here.

The fact that you consider a shared victory to be giving up is where your outlook and Cosmic's differ. The game flows much better if you don't care who's crossing that finish line with you as long as you get there.

It's certainly possible that the game just doesn't mesh with how I play games.

End the game at any cost is not a mindset I'd have for a game I could enjoy.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It's not end the game at any cost. It's win the game as quick as you can and don't consider other people winning with to lessen the experience. As long as you didn't lose it's all good.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Cosmic is great! But not everyone has it or digs the theme. This seems like a cool idea even if it's something I don't have interest in. Because cosmic is great and I have it.

But what's the big deal?

can you feel the struggle within?
    Drascin wrote: »
    My experience with it is that, generally speaking, it's always two people winning. The one whose turn is looks at the table, thinks of the cards he knows are available, and offers a winning pact to the person he feels has the best chance of letting him win. Then they go in, and if it works they win together, and if not the next turn the next guy does the same thing. Never actually seen a solo victory in that game.

Most of the people I've played with haven't been into shared victories on a philosophical level, so almost all of our games are solo ones. If you have a group that's really into shared victories, this seems like a likely scenario, but it's also one of the reasons most of the cosmic players I've met and payed with kind of look down on shared victories and don't play with them as a goal.

Cosmic is all about the shared wins, but even more all about feigning a shared win and then using a crazy combo of powers, cards and tech to betray everyone at the last moment to win solo.

Apparently there won't be an expansion for Forbidden Stars due to the license expiring

And the designer has confirmed he had already started work on an expansion with Tau, Necrons, Tyranids and Dark Elder.

Bums.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Apparently there won't be an expansion for Forbidden Stars due to the license expiring

That... wasn't a very lengthy license. Or is it not for this game specifically, but FFG's license for 40k games in general? Because that would be big news.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

And the designer has confirmed he had already started work on an expansion with Tau, Necrons, Tyranids and Dark Elder.

Bums.

Goddamn. That's sucks. That's a real good game.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Man one day I will win a game of Splendor against my wife. One beautiful day...

I can't begrudge her really, I do tend to win a lot of the games we play. Still though, literally the only time I've ever won Splendor is when we were both so drunk it barely even counts as playing the game.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

That... wasn't a very lengthy license. Or is it not for this game specifically, but FFG's license for 40k games in general? Because that would be big news.

From what I was able to dig up, apparently they have to renew every year. And I'd assume GW didn't want to renew because they're getting back into board games again with the new Warhammer Quest and Blood Bowl coming back, and that fits their patterns historically, so yeah. Kind of sucks.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Games Workshop remains, as always, really bad at this, and only hands out the licenses for a year at a time.
    The only thing that shows up on the "FFG upcoming" page for GW licenses is Conquest packs and some reprints, so probably they only kept the card game license. :/

Man, the Starcraft board game just can't catch a break.

antherem on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Guess I'd better get a copy while I can...

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Man one day I will win a game of Splendor against my wife. One beautiful day...

I can't begrudge her really, I do tend to win a lot of the games we play. Still though, literally the only time I've ever won Splendor is when we were both so drunk it barely even counts as playing the game.
    I played Splendor for the first time on Thursday. It was a lot of fun! Definitely on my short list to purchase.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited July 2016
    antherem wrote: »

Games Workshop remains, as always, really bad at this, and only hands out the licenses for a year at a time.
    The only thing that shows up on the "FFG upcoming" page for GW licenses is Conquest packs and some reprints, so probably they only kept the card game license. :/

Man, the Starcraft board game just can't catch a break.

I do wonder if they're trying to get away from some of the uncertainties that "unstable" license-holders can cause and trying to focus more on their own stuff and companies they work better with. The Star Wars stuff seems to be doing well for them, so Disney doesn't really seem to be messing with them. And they've been working with the AGOT setting since 2002, so I'd guess they've got a good working relationship.

I wonder how much stuff they want to do with GW stuff gets rejected, and if they're feeling restrained by it and if it's worth doing at all. We'll see in a couple of weeks here.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Reorganized primary board game shelf. There are two secondary ones- one for primarily smaller stuff and another for just overflow. This is where most of what we play most often should live.

s9rdxN5l.jpg

I also threw away all the now vestigial boxes for x-wing stuff. I kept the core boxes since they're nicer, but all the other stuff was really just taking up space since they were just empty now.

• Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Neither of them do.

... what the hell was I playing, then? I had a ... British Paratrooper squad, each one controlled separately. Been way too long since I played it!

Probably Sniper (SPI) or Firepower(AH)

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    We played an impromptu match of Dead of Winter!

As with all early plays of a board game, we handily won it, before one of us (me) thought that it was too easy, looked up the rules again, and found out we were doing something wrong. The trophies are being recalled as we speak.

Broken rules:
    - Player turns go the left, but the First Player Knife goes to the RIGHT.
    - The chemist who makes bombs at home that kills zombies (with an action die) has to attack (use a regular (4+) action die).
    - I forget if we're playing the shotgun wrong.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    So it turns out that in Rebellion you can capture Luke, encase him in carbonite, interrogate the carbonite for the location of the rebel base, then convert the carbonite to the dark side.

I'm not sure how that works out in an in-universe sense, but it was pretty funny when it happened.