As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars [Galaxy of Heroes]. Why Yes, Kylo, You Can Be on Vader's Team.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Damn it now I feel stupid for upping not darth mauls rarity because he has a high power level but is not actually that damaging!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Well I finally 7 starred Grevious. I honestly have no idea what I should do with him. He's like the embodiment of the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

• Options
    Apostate wrote: »
    Well I finally 7 starred Grevious. I honestly have no idea what I should do with him. He's like the embodiment of the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Good lord man.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I just read on reddit that
    The GW teams you will face on each node is a random team with a specific power value that is a % of your current GW power (the prevailing theory is that it's the sum of the power of your top 5 characters). Here's the % for each node:
    60%
    62.5%
    70%
    61%
    62%
    95%
    75%
    76%
    100%
    85%
    105%
    115%
    EDIT: some people get easy node 12s because there doesn't exist a team that is 115% more powerful than their team (if the highest team possible is 57,500, then as long as you have 1 more power than 50,000 you will get the bugged/easy node). It's likely that some people also get a bugged node 11, but they probably post about it on their guild forums instead of here.
    Huh... I don't think it means what he think it means. I've faced a 55,000+ power team with my top 5 being 42,564 power. That being said, I should be facing no more than 48.949, but that doesn't happen often. It's usually 50,000+. And my 11 is actually more towards the 115% that person is talking about.

Still, it's a good theory.
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do wonder with galactic war, is that like someones pvp team or just a randomly assigned team from someones peeps? Sometimes I've fought teams no way someone uses in any pvp context.
    I'm pretty sure it is someone's PVP team. Before going in, you'll see a name above the squad, along with a number to the left. I'm fairly certain that is the player's name and their level.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Huh... I don't think it means what he think it means. I've faced a 55,000+ power team with my top 5 being 42,564 power. That being said, I should be facing no more than 48.949, but that doesn't happen often. It's usually 50,000+. And my 11 is actually more towards the 115% that person is talking about.

Still, it's a good theory.

Its possible the numbers are constantly being tweaked, but there was enough corroboration behind that post that it can't be that far off.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Makes me want to start trying to keep track. I already have a spreadsheet going with numerous tabs full of data.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only serial spreadsheeter in games like this

• Options
    Huh, stumbled upon this gem: http://www.crouchingrancor.com/

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Is anyone in guild having an issue with a few members that just flat out aren't helping the guild, as in always getting the top spot and never donating but asking for gear all the time? We're trying out new rules to limit them for the better of the guild, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had some success with doing this? Some of us voluntarily get minimal damage for some raid (effectively sitting out) to allow the lower guildies the chance at better gear, but these two guys are flat out being dicks about everything and then telling the lower members that they aren't working hard enough. Hell, one of these jerks told me the other day that I should do what he does and never donate, because that's why he has higher geared toons. Was kind of floored by that. To make matters worse, these two are officers, so us other officers are trying to tactfully handle this.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Needs a bit more context.

Are you working on difficult enough content where them dealing high damage is valuable? Like, Heroic Tank, where even if they're being selfish/dickish, they are necessary for loot in general?

Note: I am not excusing this behaviour, simply inquiring about the realities of the situation.

Also, while in general I'd frown on anyone explicitly asking for gear but not giving it away, that would also depend on what is being asked for? There are a bunch of people in my guild who are regularly asking for the shit that we *all* need, which frankly I don't cough up very often, in part because I rarely get much of it when I ask either. I try to give away 'something' each day, but it helps when someone is looking for something I have hundreds of, or at least can be farmed up in a challenge. For that reason I rarely ask for actual 'rare' gear, usually white and green tier gear that we usually need a bunch of, but really isn't that hard to get, it just saves me a little energy rather than dedicated farming. Getting 1 Sienar Holo Projector salvage is (RNG permitting) more expensive (in energy) than a MK1 BAW Armor Mod, despite needing a gajillion of the latter. Both are in demand, but a single one of the latter is less of an 'ask' than the former, at least from my perspective.

It's commendable to have people sitting back to help catch up, but it sounds like what you're dealing with is whether or not it should be Actual Enforced Policy, or just a gentleman's agreement. Either way, it seems like something that might either require determining if this is something worth giving them the boot over (if you have that clout), or leaving over, or just a venting situation and hopefully they either see reason some day.

My guild has been pretty chill, but it's not without issues. We have a fairly simple system for raids, and sometimes people get out of line, and we've had to take a fairly hard stance and give people the boot if they break that agreement. The guild leader also started off kinda soft on people being MIA, 'oh they might be on vacation' or whatever, when we had people MIA for like 3-4+ weeks. Nowadays, if someone is gone for more than a week without notice, they're at risk, and at 2+ without a forwarning, I'm probably giving them the boot.

Too much content in the game (raids, guild challenge rewards, etc) rely on regular active members. Unless someone has been with the guild longer than I have, going MIA for 2 weeks is just dead weight holding us that little bit back, let alone when it's 3-5+.

Even then, it's so weird how inactive some people are. Our last Tank Takedown (Normal) still took a day or two, yet we only had 37 people who collected rewards. That's money being left on the table, utterly wasted.

I mean, I don't want to be one of those "you MUST submit 600 points worth of personal raid tickets per day, and give a screenshot as evidence" types of guilds, but fuck, we often hit around the low 20's. Launching a couple less raids a month adds up. We'll never be a big dog, but we'll be forever held back by that kind of thing.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Just tossed out a few ally invites to peeps who have codes listed in this thread ... You know, in case you get an invite and you have no idea who it is. It's this guy.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    This Empire event is a pain. 8 stages in one go. Without some kind of healer that's rough. I beat the first tier but the second one is wrecking me.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    This Empire event is a pain. 8 stages in one go. Without some kind of healer that's rough. I beat the first tier but the second one is wrecking me.

The only things that got me through the second tier were hefty amounts of luck and Wedge as a leader. He lets your team heal from crits. The rest of my lineup was Ackbar, Stormtrooper Han, raid Han, and Lando.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Cleared the first, I think I might even be able to do the second if I moved all my best mods to the Rebels/Fives (none of my other clones are anything to write home about), but I'm just glad to have that achievement cleared and to have gotten some shard shop fodder.

• Options
    Dashui wrote: »

The only things that got me through the second tier were hefty amounts of luck and Wedge as a leader. He lets your team heal from crits. The rest of my lineup was Ackbar, Stormtrooper Han, raid Han, and Lando.

Yeah no Wedge or Ackbar for me. Haven't leveled them up yet.

• Options
    This event has finally convinced me that I really shouldn't be neglecting Lando. I thought Biggs/Wedge/Leia/STHan/Ackbar would suffice, but no, that dapper scoundrel just hits too many people too hard not to build up.

So begins the long climb.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Quick question on GW. I am now lvl 52. I have never finished a GW table, because inevitably on the last nodes a team will appear that just wrecks mine. I have just today gotten Lando, so I expect to get a little farther now - but how long does it usually take to acutally finish a table and get the achievement?

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Quick question on GW. I am now lvl 52. I have never finished a GW table, because inevitably on the last nodes a team will appear that just wrecks mine. I have just today gotten Lando, so I expect to get a little farther now - but how long does it usually take to acutally finish a table and get the achievement?

I've been beating them consistently since like lvl 30. It helps to have 2 viable teams. Then for the last node, if you need it, have a stable of garbo characters to send to their death to absorb the initial volley of skills.

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    GW is based off of the power of your strongest 5 characters. If you are too top heavy, you're going to get rolled. You need to even out the power of at least 3 full teams before GW starts getting easy. Some people have a single team so OP that it doesn't matter, but most do not.

• Options
    Yeah, I've been having a better time clearing the GW lately than I did for a few months there (they started fucking with the GW mid last year, and it took a while for things to settle down), but once in a while I'll get a team composition that's just unmitigated bullshit. Like, stacked with 9-11k power characters, with synergy that really should add another couple thousand, and decked out in gear that makes mine look like a starter kit.

I throw the best half dozen teams I've got and another half dozen or more in random garbage to eat up skills and turn meter and if I'm lucky I kill one character off.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Forar wrote: »
    Needs a bit more context.
    Are you working on difficult enough content where them dealing high damage is valuable? Like, Heroic Tank, where even if they're being selfish/dickish, they are necessary for loot in general?

Note: I am not excusing this behaviour, simply inquiring about the realities of the situation.

Also, while in general I'd frown on anyone explicitly asking for gear but not giving it away, that would also depend on what is being asked for? There are a bunch of people in my guild who are regularly asking for the shit that we *all* need, which frankly I don't cough up very often, in part because I rarely get much of it when I ask either. I try to give away 'something' each day, but it helps when someone is looking for something I have hundreds of, or at least can be farmed up in a challenge. For that reason I rarely ask for actual 'rare' gear, usually white and green tier gear that we usually need a bunch of, but really isn't that hard to get, it just saves me a little energy rather than dedicated farming. Getting 1 Sienar Holo Projector salvage is (RNG permitting) more expensive (in energy) than a MK1 BAW Armor Mod, despite needing a gajillion of the latter. Both are in demand, but a single one of the latter is less of an 'ask' than the former, at least from my perspective.

It's commendable to have people sitting back to help catch up, but it sounds like what you're dealing with is whether or not it should be Actual Enforced Policy, or just a gentleman's agreement. Either way, it seems like something that might either require determining if this is something worth giving them the boot over (if you have that clout), or leaving over, or just a venting situation and hopefully they either see reason some day.

My guild has been pretty chill, but it's not without issues. We have a fairly simple system for raids, and sometimes people get out of line, and we've had to take a fairly hard stance and give people the boot if they break that agreement. The guild leader also started off kinda soft on people being MIA, 'oh they might be on vacation' or whatever, when we had people MIA for like 3-4+ weeks. Nowadays, if someone is gone for more than a week without notice, they're at risk, and at 2+ without a forwarning, I'm probably giving them the boot.

Too much content in the game (raids, guild challenge rewards, etc) rely on regular active members. Unless someone has been with the guild longer than I have, going MIA for 2 weeks is just dead weight holding us that little bit back, let alone when it's 3-5+.

Even then, it's so weird how inactive some people are. Our last Tank Takedown (Normal) still took a day or two, yet we only had 37 people who collected rewards. That's money being left on the table, utterly wasted.

I mean, I don't want to be one of those "you MUST submit 600 points worth of personal raid tickets per day, and give a screenshot as evidence" types of guilds, but fuck, we often hit around the low 20's. Launching a couple less raids a month adds up. We'll never be a big dog, but we'll be forever held back by that kind of thing.
    We tried Heroic Tank and got our asses kicked, so we've been doing Normal Tank with rules to limit damage so everyone can participate. Our rules for that are everyone must attack in P1 or else wait until P4 to attack, and only 1 squad per phase in P2-P4 in order to let everyone get a chance to rank. We instituted the mandatory P1 rule because people (mostly the two dicks in question) refused to attack in P1 because they wanted to wait for P2, and then those two would tear up almost all of P2 and P3 by themselves and leave everyone else behind. It was total garbage, so we created a rule specifically to limit those two and force people to cooperate in P1.

Heroic Pit is creamed in about 35 minutes, so we've been tweaking rules even further to limit damage, mostly by saying anyone with 7-star Han cannot exceed 400k dmg so that everyone else can get caught up on 7-star Han and the gear from higher ranks.

You are absolutely correct about what people are asking for. The core of us officers keep reminding people to stop asking for things like Mk 3 Stun Cuffs, because everyone needs hundreds of them. The gear these two clowns keep asking for are harder to obtain, but they barely give anything (between 0 and 2). The fact that they are light years beyond 80% of the guild and are officers pisses a good amount of people off. They ask for about 30 pieces of gear a week, but donate maybe 7 a week. Then toss on that they have flat out said the reason why people are not caught up to them is because those people donate... *shakes fist*

They definitely don't care about reason. They were socially pressured into sitting out one of the raids, that is until the new 400k limit was instituted and they recanted, saying that's all they'll do. Several of the officers (including me) have been keeping an eye on these two and it's becoming increasingly obvious that these two are only in it for themselves. The only thing keeping these guys in the guild is that they are by far the heaviest hitters. They complain about people not being up to their standards, but aren't willing to help out, so it makes you wonder why they are even in the guild.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Yeah. From what you describe, it sounds like they could probably find a home in another guild, but it'd likely be one with A) more stringent requirements, B) people who are to them as they are to most of the other guild members in the current one, or C) all of the above.

Why put in effort and take risks when they can just throw their weight around/take advantage of people in the group they're already in?

Doesn't sound like there's a lot of good/easy answers there.

• Options
    You're saying almost exactly what another officer has been saying. Oh well...

On a side note, I may not be able to finish this event. I thought I had a strong enough Rebel team. It may not be that way.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Wiggs combo helped this a ton. last time I could not dent it this time I got past it pretty easily. Scarif soldier helped a ton too he died about 6 times during it due to being a bit underleveled.

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    I am increasingly detesting any play time with the fleet/ship stuff. It just feels so slow and tedious, but I feel I have to try because they provide another valuable resource for some character shards.

• Options
    Cobell wrote: »
    I am increasingly detesting any play time with the fleet/ship stuff. It just feels so slow and tedious, but I feel I have to try because they provide another valuable resource for some character shards.
    Yeah, the ship battles are waaay too long

I just auto all the ship stuff right now because I am solidly sitting at sub-500 rank until I can unlock Slave I and promote a few more of my ships.

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    This event has finally convinced me that I really shouldn't be neglecting Lando. I thought Biggs/Wedge/Leia/STHan/Ackbar would suffice, but no, that dapper scoundrel just hits too many people too hard not to build up.

So begins the long climb.

My rebel team all have Gear level 9, level 85 with mods fully leveled (mostly health based) and that second "event" is impossible for me. My team is Wedge(L), Biggs, Lando, Leia, Stormtrooper Han. My journey always ended on that 4th battle out of 8. I just can't see how they say this one is for level 80. Even with 85 with not so bad gears and mods, I couldn't get close to complete it.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options

I just auto all the ship stuff right now because I am solidly sitting at sub-500 rank until I can unlock Slave I and promote a few more of my ships.

Yeah the ship things are like super long, and even when you are going to win they take forever to finish.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular

I agree with this. I think part of the "slow" part is that you can get up to 4 reinforcement. It's painfully long and you add those capital ships animation and it's just horrible. I basically only do 1 sometimes 2 fights on the ship side to make sure I keep my current "rank" bracket to get 1250 shards. Like most of you, I've been using them to mostly gear my guys. My guild is relatively low level so we can't even do the highest Rancor Raid (the one with Han's shard) and it takes us 2 weeks to finish the lowest tank one.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    I'm still enjoying the Ships segment. I agree that they take a while, but it's still pretty fun. I'm working on trying to get up to the Zeta challenge, which will take some time considering I went Rebel-heavy and don't have enough Imperial ships. Once I get that unlocked, I should be able to start amassing resources, me thinks. I try to do 3 a day, but it depends on my free time.

• Options
    The capital ship animations need to be much faster, and the reinforcements could be toned back a bit. Yes, I've had an epic comeback or three from the brink of defeat, but damn, 8 v 8 fights (in total) is a bit much. At least most arena fights have a clock of 5 min and even without much auto'ing mine are usually done in 2-3, but even with considerable auto'ing I've had fleet fights go 5-6+. Won one yesterday with literally seconds to spare.

It's not the worst game mechanic ever, but it is in desperate need of a Quality Of Life adjustment or three.

• Options
    I think it used to be 5 minutes when Ships launched, but they extended it further because a lot of people couldn't finish in time. I also believe that they did speed up some of the animations, but I agree that the capital ships need to be sped up more. It's not as painful as the original AAT animations, but still bad.

• Options
    Looked up a video from around the launch of ships, I'm seeing 7:30 on the clock, and I don't recall it ever being less than 7 min, but I've also never put a ton of time into it either. As in, I usually do 1 or 2 fights to maintain my easy seat on the charts, and I don't think I've ever done more than 3 or 4.

Our mileage will vary (I know some top tier Squad Arena people have to play on auto all the time, otherwise they can't complete), but needing to go 5-6+ minutes just for one daily (and aiming for a victory that is) is a bit excessive.

Agreed on it not being as excessive as the AAT, but there's room for improvement.

The animations and effects are nice a few times, but as the weeks and months and possibly years go by...

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Is anyone in guild having an issue with a few members that just flat out aren't helping the guild, as in always getting the top spot and never donating but asking for gear all the time? We're trying out new rules to limit them for the better of the guild, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had some success with doing this? Some of us voluntarily get minimal damage for some raid (effectively sitting out) to allow the lower guildies the chance at better gear, but these two guys are flat out being dicks about everything and then telling the lower members that they aren't working hard enough. Hell, one of these jerks told me the other day that I should do what he does and never donate, because that's why he has higher geared toons. Was kind of floored by that. To make matters worse, these two are officers, so us other officers are trying to tactfully handle this.

For Rancor we have unlimited damage in phase one, but no transition to phase two allowed, no posting damage for an hour. Then, it's 200k damage max, but you can't participate in other phases if you swung in one.

Then for AAT it's unlimited in phase one and two, no posting damage for an hour, if you swing in the one you can't swing in the other. If you swing in phase one or three for unlimited, you have to post a screen shot to line to prove you didn't break the rules.

Then after 24 hours it's zerg.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I just hope my guild eventually moves to the Heroic AAT and it's not a clusterfuck. With the (admittedly considerable) changes, we're manhandling the new Normal one, and I'd like to at least take a stab at the Heroic to see where we get. If we run out of gas in P3, obviously we have a ways to go, but if we at least make it close to finishing, that'd be great in and of itself.

But if nothing else, people are falling off a little. As noted before, we're not one of those "600 contribution per day or GTFO" groups, but the Last Log In list does have a few people in the 5-12 days gone range, which is that many fewer people sharing gear, adding to daily challenges, etc.

Yeah, I now that if people don't force close the app, it'll happily claim your last log in was a day ago despite you being online that very minute, but when you get to the week'ish range, either the phone or the app should've required a re-log in at some point.

And that's the sticking point, because we need warm bodies, and they need to be active, and kicking out our longest missing member to pick up some level 81 player who puts in a week of play and then disappears for a week isn't really progressing us any closer.

Just a little venting.

• Options
    The way they have the guilds now is in general kind of a mess. The fact that numerous guilds have to have all these house rules and resort to hard scheduling is a problem they need to fix as it can cause significant burnout. It sounds a bit silly but they need to integrate some kind of scheduler and rules system if they don't want to change the way the raid rewards are currently structured. Something that is in the game itself so people don't have to do on the fly math.* It would just auto kick you out when you've done all the damage you are allowed.

Also someway for guilds to recruit and players to find guilds in game would go a long way to addressing some issues as well.

*I hate to sound like adding games features is simple but there is no excuse not giving the player a running damage counter since that's the entire objective of the raid and what determines their rewards.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I just hope my guild eventually moves to the Heroic AAT and it's not a clusterfuck. With the (admittedly considerable) changes, we're manhandling the new Normal one, and I'd like to at least take a stab at the Heroic to see where we get. If we run out of gas in P3, obviously we have a ways to go, but if we at least make it close to finishing, that'd be great in and of itself.
    It will eat you alive, spit your corpse out, resuscitate you, hook your genitals up to a car battery, shock you still your dead, bring you back again, then rip off your nipples and douse you in lemon juice before it finally has had it's fun and pushes you out an airlock to watch you turn inside out while simultaneously freezing and burning to death.

It's brutal. But in another sense, it gives you a sense of how far away you are from actually beating it. We tried once shortly after launch and haven't given it a second thought since. Normal P2-P4 go so amazingly quick without rules. P1 is still giving most a tough time and most people will avoid it without rules.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Okay, since we don't have a thread for Force Arena (I think), I need to complain here. Cassian can get fucked.

• Options
    Okay, since we don't have a thread for Force Arena (I think), I need to complain here. Cassian can get fucked.

Well if you saw the movie...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2017

We've been talking about it in the Android games thread.

If you are having problems with Cassian (or Luke for that matter), use Energy Pike Trap and kill them with ease. Cassian doesn't do a ton of damage, but it gets overwhelming when he does it over and over from a million miles away. Instead, bait him or wait till he crosses midfield and then drop an Energy Pike trap and some troops on him. He dies sooooo fast.

ObiFett on