As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars [Galaxy of Heroes]. Why Yes, Kylo, You Can Be on Vader's Team.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    there are so many other characters that demand attention.
    ...it never fucking ends, man.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    So I finally unlocked Wedge yesterday (after I realized that I had his Cantina battle unlocked already). Now I am trying to level him up and gear him. I know he works well with Lando (which I already have at 7 stars) - anyone else he synergizes particularly well with?

Biggs. I think Wedge's unique says something like 'if Biggs is present, he gains these bonuses too", and Biggs has an attack that calls one extra ally, or if Wedge is present calls Wedge and one extra ally, so it can do some good spike damage.

Yes if wedge is present biggs gains the ability to group murder a target of choice every couple rounds.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, the rate of release is way faster than the rate of growth. It is pretty much impossible to keep up with.

Just pick some favorites and work on those.

I've been playing since day 1 launch and there are still some original roster characters that I don't even own. So yeah. It never ends, and you will never be caught up.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Besides, I just hit lvl 75 - so I guess 10 more to go. Right now I am pretty content with what I have. So far its pretty fun.

• Options
    It has gotten much better in recent months. I was ready to quit a while ago, and for a period of time I was just logging in, collecting daily currency and then buying shards and logging back out.

But I've actually been playing again. A lot of the recent quality of life changes they have made, plus their new character distribution method are way better.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    their new character distribution method are way better.
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you'll need to elaborate on that one for me, por favor. I may not be thinking about the same thing as you are. Personally, I'm pretty annoyed at what they've been doing with new toons. "Hey, we're so nice, we're giving you a FREE character! Aren't we awesome? And what's better, you ask? Why, all you need to do to increase the star rating is visit our super convenient store and spent crystals for the immensely slim chance to win a bunch of shards (really, you're only getting a few per pack). If you don't have any, you can quickly go to the tab to purchase crystals using real, hard earned cash!"

And the fact that these new toons have such OP abilities so as to make the whales even stronger than they disgustingly already are... I get it, those asshats fund your game and you're luring them in like moths to a flame, but I really hate it.

I enjoy new toons, but I'd appreciate it if they at least made an effort to make them farmable, even if it was one very high-level battle.

FWIW: many of the QoL changes are really super nice.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    The collector in me is happy they are at least giving me a 3 star character as opposed to nothing like with Jyn Erso

I understand they aren't all that powerful, but at least I have them.

• Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    their new character distribution method are way better.
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you'll need to elaborate on that one for me, por favor. I may not be thinking about the same thing as you are. Personally, I'm pretty annoyed at what they've been doing with new toons. "Hey, we're so nice, we're giving you a FREE character! Aren't we awesome? And what's better, you ask? Why, all you need to do to increase the star rating is visit our super convenient store and spent crystals for the immensely slim chance to win a bunch of shards (really, you're only getting a few per pack). If you don't have any, you can quickly go to the tab to purchase crystals using real, hard earned cash!"

And the fact that these new toons have such OP abilities so as to make the whales even stronger than they disgustingly already are... I get it, those asshats fund your game and you're luring them in like moths to a flame, but I really hate it.

I enjoy new toons, but I'd appreciate it if they at least made an effort to make them farmable, even if it was one very high-level battle.

FWIW: many of the QoL changes are really super nice.

We have basically had 4 iterations of character releases. I will go over each, and why I think the newest one is best.

Type 1: Packs only: Sometimes they release characters and they are only available in the 540/2099 cost random packs. This is a terrible system because it relies entirely on RNG.

Type 2: Yoda and Emperor Palpatine: This system has both pros and cons. The pro is that an entire character all the way up to 7 stars is available if you are equipped for it. The con is that if you are not equipped for it, you are left feeling bitter and hollow, and you have to wait 2-3 months for another chance at the character. The first time the Emperor event showed up, I was literally only able to unlock a 2-star version of him because I had literally no rebels at that point. But then I busted my ass and had a full 7-star rebel squad the next time he cycled through. Not a great system though, since there was so much time and frustration in between.

Type 3: Their PVP Tournaments. This system was the worst, because if you didn't have enough Ally Tokens, you might as well not even participate, period. Because you would come away with only 5 shards and no character at all. And if you did have the Tokens to put in a decent showing, you probably only came away with like 15-25 shards and you were still unhappy. Only the whales and top tier people actually got characters out of this distribution type.

Type 4: This is our current system. They've done it a few times now. With the Nihilus/Sith guys, right now with the Phoenix Squadron guys, and as I recall there was one other distribution prior to Nihilus that used this system but I don't remember what it is. So this is just a tiered difficulty system, where you clear the stages and you earn shards. Everyone can participate, and the highest tier is not very difficult so the barrier of entry is low. On top of that, everyone is pretty much guaranteed a character. Really, the only problem with this system is further advancement on the characters after you unlock them. As in right now there is no future hope of advancement. (Not really. Those mega expensive shard packs don't count).

So there isn't a good distribution system, but I'm happiest with type 4, because at least I'm getting something for it without months of waiting and frustration in between.

• Options
    Oh, well when you put it that way, I sound like a whiny little shit. You make a good point.

...as a mostly F2P player, I still reserve the right to complain.

• Options
    I am not yet at a point where I complain. And I am F2P too. But right now I havent reached top level yet and have enough toons to advance to keep me busy.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Oh just become jaded and join our whine party!!!

(I jest. Keep up the optimism. I need it to cancel out my bitterness.)

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Christ on a cracker, even at 3-stars, the Sith Trooper is bullshit.

• Options
    Yeah I want him very badly at 7 stars.

My "perfect team" is Emperor, Vader, Maul, Sith Trooper, and Nihilus, all at 7, all doing that Sith thang.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    They need to add a new ship: Wedge Antilles' Tie Fighter, piloted by Ewok Scout.

• Options

My "perfect team" is Emperor, Vader, Maul, Sith Trooper, and Nihilus, all at 7, all doing that Sith thang.

So I know i'm quoting myself here, but thinking about raising the Sith Trooper (and Nihilus) to 7 brings us back to the shard distribution discussion. I said that I am in favor of their current method of putting out new characters. Basically everybody gets a 3-star hero for free for participating in the event.

But that's where it stops right now. Those 1299 shard packs are not a real solution for more shards. Especially since I've never heard of anyone getting more than 5 per back. The whole 5 to 30 thing is a big fat lie.

Now that I have Nihilus and Sith Trooper, I want to raise them. But I can't. And that's where the current system breaks down. They need to immediately get those characters into circulation after the event. We will have the same problem with the Phoenix Squad after this event is over. We'll have 3-start Phoenix dudes with no way of raising them. And what good is that? Nothing. Why release characters that nobody wants to use because they aren't competitively viable.

It's doubly frustrating because many events and some other content are locked by star-count. So sorry if you don't have enough dudes with 7 stars to complete the final phase of some events. And good luck raising dudes because you can't.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular

So I know i'm quoting myself here, but thinking about raising the Sith Trooper (and Nihilus) to 7 brings us back to the shard distribution discussion. I said that I am in favor of their current method of putting out new characters. Basically everybody gets a 3-star hero for free for participating in the event.

But that's where it stops right now. Those 1299 shard packs are not a real solution for more shards. Especially since I've never heard of anyone getting more than 5 per back. The whole 5 to 30 thing is a big fat lie.

Now that I have Nihilus and Sith Trooper, I want to raise them. But I can't. And that's where the current system breaks down. They need to immediately get those characters into circulation after the event. We will have the same problem with the Phoenix Squad after this event is over. We'll have 3-start Phoenix dudes with no way of raising them. And what good is that? Nothing. Why release characters that nobody wants to use because they aren't competitively viable.

It's doubly frustrating because many events and some other content are locked by star-count. So sorry if you don't have enough dudes with 7 stars to complete the final phase of some events. And good luck raising dudes because you can't.

I've probably mentioned this before but that's the generally standard roll out for these kinds of games. The player is introduced to the new character and then is basically given the early low power version. They can then immediately use real money to boost them up via packs. Sometime later the character is made available to buy with gems and then finally in the next cycle they become farmable for everyone. It's the choice of the player whether they want to buy them early or wait for them to become farmable.

In a few months you'll I'm sure you will be able to farm the Sith Trooper and DN. Now whether they will still be the dominators they are now only the devs know.

I know that's not what anyone wants to hear, especially the FTP players, but that's the way they are doing it.

• Options

Keep in mind that I played a bunch back when the level cap was 60, and have only been back for a few weeks: my opinion is worthless here, I'm just sharing something I read.

This thread on Reddit is saying that stars aren't terribly important at the moment. Especially "Gear levels are more important now than ever before. Stars only increase health and damage really, and marginally at that. Utility and general survivability is in the gear, and possibility a greater extent the mods. But mods affect a higher gear level a lot more than a higher star level."

• Options
    Stars are important in PVE because they lock you out of doing PVE if you don't have enough stars. It's an artificial gateway.

In PVP where you can bring anybody you like, there stars don't matter nearly as much. And you can compensate (to a degree) for a lack of stars with superior mods and a high gear level.

Stars are just a flat stat multiplier. And going from one to the next is not a huge jump. Going from 1 to 7 stars, that is a big jump in stats. But going from 6 to 7 is not really that significant. Back in the "old days" a character was considered PVP viable around the 5-star mark.

But since they have all of these gated PVE events and missions where you have to have a specific amount of stars to participate, that makes stars important.

• Options
    Yeah I have almost entirely switched over from getting shards to farming mods and gear. There's a couple guys like Maul and Rex and the like that I'm slowly accumulating when they show up in the one of the stores briefly but otherwise it's all mods and gear.

• Options
    Well, that was anticlimactic.

Get Chopper unlocked, and Tier 2 is a battle against K-2 that rewards 1000 credits.

Still only 1 shard per day, depending on the log-in reward.

Oh, but they added the expected 5 or 30 shard pack. :rotate:

Doing the math, Chopper should be 3-star on the 31st, which would mean a week of the Tier 3 battle, whatever that may be.

• Options
    Right now I am leveling/gearing/modding Wedge and Biggs. Tried out the Wedge/Lando/Biggs combo in GW a couple of times. That is fun :)

• Options
    Yeah, my new goal is to get some variety in my viable teams (Rebel, Sith, Empire, Droid, Jawa, Scoundrel) up to at least 70 with the right type of mods and gear VI?--whatever the first purple level is.

Then start advancing again from there.

• Options
    VII is where purple starts, but those guys don't start getting viable until IX.

• Options
    Right, but I'm thinking (maybe incorrectly) about overall roster balance. I ODed on Jedi to get Yoda, and that really screwed things up.

• Options
    Right, but I'm thinking (maybe incorrectly) about overall roster balance. I ODed on Jedi to get Yoda, and that really screwed things up.

If you are you doing this to farm for mods or complete events that's okay. But for raids or arena work you're going to need to max them as much as possible.

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    Well, that was anticlimactic.

Get Chopper unlocked, and Tier 2 is a battle against K-2 that rewards 1000 credits.

Still only 1 shard per day, depending on the log-in reward.

Oh, but they added the expected 5 or 30 shard pack. :rotate:

Doing the math, Chopper should be 3-star on the 31st, which would mean a week of the Tier 3 battle, whatever that may be.

One of the people in my guild says the repeatable tier 3 reward is also 1000 credits. He said the first time completion was a single Omega.

• Options
    That makes me so mad because I assumed and planned like Tier 2 and 3 would each reward shards as well.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I've been stuck on one of those t8 gear tiers for a while now on Lando, where you need those round things that always require stacks of 20. And Lando had like 3 slots that needed those things, so I needed like 60 of them. Finally finished Lando T8, then I blitzed through T9 because I already had everything on that tier. And then I managed to also finish T10 with some focus farming on story missions for a couple missing pieces.

Lando just shot up to my #1 slot at 8136 power.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    I love thermal detonators on Biggs. What's that? You're going to go full TM because you got hit? By all means do so, because you have 2 thermal detonators on you, and here's another for safe measure.

• Options
    I've been stuck on one of those t8 gear tiers for a while now on Lando, where you need those round things that always require stacks of 20. And Lando had like 3 slots that needed those things, so I needed like 60 of them. Finally finished Lando T8, then I blitzed through T9 because I already had everything on that tier. And then I managed to also finish T10 with some focus farming on story missions for a couple missing pieces.

Lando just shot up to my #1 slot at 8136 power.

Yeah you can bump him up fast. Lando has surprisingly easy gear requirements at his upper levels.

• Options
    Ok, I know I said I wanted a guild that didn't treat the game like work.

But when less than half the guild has logged in over the last week...

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Ok, I know I said I wanted a guild that didn't treat the game like work.

But when less than half the guild has logged in over the last week...
    Our guild's focus is to ensure everyone contributes to overall progress while still enjoying the game. Us officers do extra work to make that a reality. Someone will always bitch about rules, but they are there to keep the greedy and lazy in line. We don't progress as fast as other guilds, but it's because we're not militaristic. We almost went that route, but another officer and I chimed in about how we can't support that, so we hashed it out and we're back to being more civil about things.

It's a touchy balancing game. On one hand, you don't want it to be a job. On the other, you don't want to become stagnant and not get anywhere; what's the point in playing if you just log in, click a few things, and that's it? To top it off, there are 50 personalities to manage. It's a tough task, more than some people realize.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    It's always tricky find a clan that fits your priorities, and sometimes you just have to bounce from one to the next until you find one that's closer to how you think things should be done. I'm kind of lucky in that most of my guild is people who I work with, or are attached to those I work with. We can easily talk to people on IM or offline and sort any issues out pretty quick.

• Options
    I'm in a work clan in this game. Which is fine. We're not the best, and we have had to fill our ranks with some randoms. Our recruitment policy is lax and it's extremely low key. But that works for me.

The worst clan experience I've had in a mobile game was in Clash of Clans about 2 years ago. I was in the same clan for a really long time. I was active, I got in all my attacks every clan war, and I was always one of the top 3 contributors in our clan wars. But for unknown reasons to me, one day I was just kicked out. No explanation given. I had a friend still in the clan, and I asked him to inquire. Their response to my friend was that I was using the wrong units in my attacks. Which is a load of bullshit because I was one of the top contributors. I got more stars per war than most of the rest of the clan. Obviously there were some closed-door politics going on and I got ousted. So now I don't play Clash of Clans. Which is fine.

• Options
    I just got a new clan. I posted on the forums something like "I can offer you 600 tickets daily, and a solid attempt at the daily guild activities, in return I want GK and HS shards." Got a lot of offers from guilds that don't run heroic raids, but now I'm in a guild with ~40 people active daily, getting double the guild currency of my last one, and got my first 3 HS shards yesterday.

• Options
    For a second there I thought the last battle with Zeb was gonna need strategery. But then he went and knocked out the last 3 guys solo.

So, they're probably expecting us to have multiple Phoenix Squad characters in order to get the synergies.

• Options
    I went in with just a team of AoE guys and auto-battled it. So I definitely did not use strategy.

I brought Emperor, Vader, Wedge, Lando, and Kylo. And I just turned on auto battle and let them do their own thing.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Now that we can see the full ability list for Phoenix members, a full team with Hera at the lead is going to be unstoppable.

Hera's leader ability: "Each Phoenix ally grants their unique ability to every other Phoenix ally" which means every character on a full Phoenix team will have:

Gain 20% (40% if < half health) turn meter whenever a Phoenix ally uses uses a special ability

Plus 4 of the following:

- 70% counter chance and Recover 25% health when debuffed
    - Recover 15% health at beginning of their turn and 15% protection whenever hit
    - Max Protection equal to +40% of Max Health and recover 15% (30% if debuffed) protection at the start of their turn
    - Gain +10% offense at end of turn, to a max of 40%
    - +25% crit chance and +25% crit damage

Thats insane.

Every character on the team gaining 15% health and 15% protection at the the start of their turn, 10% offense at the end of their turn, with a base of 70% counter chance plus they ALL GAIN 20% turn meter whenever an ally uses a special?!

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Now that we can see the full ability list for Phoenix members, a full team with Hera at the lead is going to be unstoppable.

Hera's leader ability: "Each Phoenix ally grants their unique ability to every other Phoenix ally" which so far means every character on a full Phoenix team will have:

Gain 20% (40% if < half health) turn meter whenever a Phoenix ally uses uses a special ability

Plus 4 of the following:

- Max Protection equal to +40% of Max Health and recover 15% (30% if debuffed) protection at the start of their turn

Thats insane.

Every character on the team gaining 15% health and 15% protection at the the start of their turn, 10% offense at the end of their turn, with a base of 70% counter chance plus they ALL GAIN 20% turn meter whenever an ally uses a special?!
    And it too can be yours for the small investment of several hundreds of dollars in Phoenix Squadron Packs.

• Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

Hera's leader ability: "Each Phoenix ally grants their unique ability to every other Phoenix ally" which so far means every character on a full Phoenix team will have:

Plus 4 of the following:

Thats insane.

And it too can be yours for the small investment of several hundreds of dollars in Phoenix Squadron Packs.

Too late now. Hera and Kanan are unavailable.