As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Potential Thingness

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Potential Thingness

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    TrygylTrygyl Registered User regular
    As a kid, my brother and I used a ring of small stones (usually no more than the size of a child's hand) to denote where we buried things, essentially treasure spots with less red paint. Maybe a similar thing to here?

• Options
    Mister KojakMister Kojak Registered User regular
    That art is FANTASTIC.

• Options
    FriendFiveFriendFive Registered User regular
    I am dumb; I don't get it. Someone, please 'splain.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    They are playing "The Witness", which is a very devious puzzle game that gives you clues entirely through visual aids or references.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    SUDDEN ART SHIFT

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    They are playing "The Witness", which is a very devious puzzle game that gives you clues entirely through visual aids or references.

Possibly also a "Forest for the trees" joke since the last panel is a giant shining thing on a hill they seem to be ignoring.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    For reference, this is The Witness.

• Options
    Also the art in this comic is amazingly good. Really love this one.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Is that just Myst isle?

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Is that just Myst isle?

No, it's more like a series of mazes. On an Island.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Is that just Myst isle?
    Not literally, no. And I'll admit here I never played Myst (read two of the books). From what I know of Myst, The Witness isn't really like it. Sure you roam an abandoned island solving puzzles and it's kind of hard to do that and not reference Myst, but in the Witness they are all maze puzzles (solved in myriad ways). I think it has more in common with The Talos Principle than Myst, but The Witness does have an open world Talos Principle didn't really have.

• Options
    sandalwoodsandalwood Cartoonist New YorkRegistered User regular
    This made me so happy, haha

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I'm about 250 puzzles into The Witness and I cannot possibly gush enough about how much I love it.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    davec727davec727 Registered User new member
    edited January 2016
    Literally created a forum account just so I could say how ridiculously amazing this art is. I've read 'em all, and I've never just stopped and stared at a regular old three-panel like this before. Striking.

Oh, also, I will be getting The Witness now.

davec727 on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    The art in this comic is mimicking the art in The Witness, which is why it looks so good.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

this also pretty much applies to most RPGs and adventure games too. i can't count how many times i've investigated weird rocks in a Zelda game because they could mark a secret entrance or treasure or something.

spoiler warning: 75% of the time it's just rocks.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    The art in this comic is mimicking the art in The Witness, which is why it looks so good.

I mean, the artist here is also somewhat responsible. I could try mimicking the art of The Witness and it probably wouldn't entice such praise.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Bobart RobskyBobart Robsky Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The game is beautiful and all about perspective. Here is an example, a shot of the shore then flipped.

Edit: Young Frey informed me that my images were a little big for the forum, as per the rules I've made a handy-dandy link to replace them: http://imgur.com/a/gtHGy

Bobart Robsky on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    darleysam wrote: »

I mean, the artist here is also somewhat responsible. I could try mimicking the art of The Witness and it probably wouldn't entice such praise.
    I wasn't disparaging Mike so much as saying, "The Witness is pretty."

Edit: That said, if you or I tried mimicking the art, it would end up in failed mimicry. Maybe I should have more precisely stated it as: The art in this comic is successfully mimicking the art in The Witness, which is why it looks so good.

forty on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I am personally going to wait for the Witness to have proper Oculus Rift/Vive support, so that I can actually visit the island instead of merely peer through the window. This game was freaking made for virtual reality.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    darleysam wrote: »

I wasn't disparaging Mike so much as saying, "The Witness is pretty."

Edit: That said, if you or I tried mimicking the art, it would end up in failed mimicry. Maybe I should have more precisely stated it as: The art in this comic is successfully mimicking the art in The Witness, which is why it looks so good.

Sorry, yeah I couldn't tell what approach you were taking with that. Apologies!
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I am personally going to wait for the Witness to have proper Oculus Rift/Vive support, so that I can actually visit the island instead of merely peer through the window. This game was freaking made for virtual reality.

The speed at which I'm going, I'm probably pretty safe in still having most of the game to play when mine, and VR support, arrives.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    The Witness is really great. I've been pouring the hours into it every night I go home since it came out. I think the strip might be more difficult to appreciate if you haven't actually played The Witness yet, since there isn't really anything quite like it. Like, sure, there are adventure games and RPGs where there are rocks arranged in little patterns as a way of hinting that maybe there is a secret there, and maybe that causes you to see "hints" where there aren't any. That is SORT of what The Witness is like, but it's much much different.

It would be more like... imagine playing a game and you see a formation of rocks. It looks like it might be interesting or might mean something, but EVERYTHING looks like it might mean something. But you can't actually interact with the rocks in any way. But there are these little computers you can draw lines on. Maybe the rocks are trying to tell you how you are supposed to draw the line..??? Or maybe they're telling you how to NOT draw the line...??? Maybe the rocks ARE the line??? But only if you draw another line first and then look at from the second floor window of that house back there...??? WHAT DO THE ROCKS MEAN?!?!? *three hours later* Oh, they didn't mean anything. They're just rocks arranged in a pretty way.

• Options
    GrassHopperGrassHopper Registered User regular
    I'll have what @WordLust is having

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    I'll have what @WordLust is having

Have some The Witness!

• Options
    KherusKherus Registered User regular
    I've noticed that the pure quality of the art is hitting Disney-Like standards lately, (not to be disparaging, but to praise that each panel looks like a screenshot from a Disney movie complete with colour schemes ripped from Fantasia or something complete with shadow and expression) To add to that the fact that their comedy hasn't fallen short in all this time leads me to ask: when will we see a penny arcade animated feature? Like cyanide and happiness but, you know, with good looking drawings. I see this as a natural evolution of penny arcade when they decide to slow down. Once or twice a year they release an animated movie or short film in their dotage, reaping in even more merchandising like spaceball's Yoghurt predicted and getting ridiculously wealthy as is their due. Just don't sell out to Disney like Lucas did guys, Star Wars may have gotten better but it put a price on George's soul. (Although I guess if you had to put a price on souls, several billion ain't too shabby)