As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guys, Let's Make A Roguelike! (Community Roguelike Creation)

• Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    vhzod wrote: »
    So how does making a community game over a forum work exactly?

Everyone yells ideas out in a thread, then someone makes their own mini community forum so they can discuss things, but then there's no executive decision making and everyone disagrees and aren't willing to compromise and so everyone makes their stuff work how they want too so that it doesn't fit, or noone can figure out what to do, and it eventually dies from apathy.

Or atleast I think that's the standard practice.

piL on
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thats what I was expecting.

vhzod on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, I know I'm way late to the party, but I've always thought it would be awesome to have a roguelike (or any other game) where you start off as a normal dude, but can collect and combine robotic parts and end up being a super-mecha or somesuch. Like IVAN's limb material system, but more AWESOME.

For example, say you find a helmet, and two arm parts, combine the three with a motor, and you have powered arms anchored by your head (higher than average strength requirement or you'll rip off your own head on a critical failure roll).

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I want to see something in an office building.

Like, mission 1, go make some copies.

-edit-

Yotes your sig is hypnotizing.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I'm watching it, waiting for the part where he goes back in time. It's inevitable!

Centipeed on
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think I have exactly the same chair as that sig. EDIT: And Posture.

vhzod on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

-edit-

Office building... filled with zombies.

Steam punk zombies.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    JJ wrote: »

-edit-

Office building... filled with zombies.

Steam punk zombies.

Well thats a given. That's where your humor comes from. Putting characters or creatures someplace out of their element. A zombie office could be in hell or limbo or something. Or maybe the zombies won. Humanity is dead. Nothing left to eat. So they go back to their old jobs.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't want to derail this potentially awesome thread, but if you like the sig pic, please steal it and spread it all over the Internet. That's what the author and subject of the gif wanted.
    MuddBudd wrote:
    Well thats a given. That's where your humor comes from. Putting characters or creatures someplace out of their element. A zombie office could be in hell or limbo or something. Or maybe the zombies won. Humanity is dead. Nothing left to eat. So they go back to their old jobs.

Zombie office romance?

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yotes wrote: »
    Zombie office romance?

Zombie dating sim? It could be huge in Japan.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Heh, it would be pretty cool if it was centered around an office building.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think we have a winner.

Complete randomly generated quests like "Collect a fax from downstairs" or "See me in my office in 10 minutes" while fighting off hordes of zombies and mutants!

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Does that mean like... you're the only living human working in that place?

And your bosses are like some kind of demons or stuff who hired the zombies cos they were cheap. And they're giving you shit cos you're not getting along with your co-workers.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DeepQantas wrote: »

And your bosses are like some kind of demons or stuff who hired the zombies cos they were cheap. And they're giving you shit cos you're not getting along with your co-workers.

Nah, it should be a completely normal office, except for massive zombie hordes trying to kill you and your co-workers.

The more I think about this idea the more I like it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Nah, it should be a completely normal office, except for massive zombie hordes trying to kill you and your co-workers.

Yet to keep with a humorous aspect, zombie coworkers act like their everyday selves! They're just evil because you know, zombies are innately evil.

What if you could/are a zombie?

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know what would be nice, a seperate inventory/menu/charecter sheet window. So you could look at both the map, and your charecter progression at the same time.

The main problem with roguelikes is created by the combination of a desire for complexity, with limited graphical resources. Often a desire arises to express all possible information on screen when in fact clickable popup info windows with further information about a tile would be far clearer.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I absolutely love the idea of it being an office building infested with evil, but instead of being tasked to destroy the evil you simply have to go about your job whilst dealing with evil in the process. So the end goal isn't to defeat the evil and save the world, it's to get a promotion.

Instead of delving down into dungeons you're delving up and down the office building. It fits so well.

DO IT! DO EEEEET!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yet to keep with a humorous aspect, zombie coworkers act like their everyday selves! They're just evil because you know, zombies are innately evil.

It's not humorous to battle off vicious flesh-eating corpses while trying to accomplish everyday tasks in your otherwise-normal 9 to 5 job?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

It's not humorous to battle off vicious flesh-eating corpses while trying to accomplish everyday tasks in your otherwise-normal 9 to 5 job?
    That is of course, but give a zombie a suit and a tie, then see what happens.

Though SPI's got a great take on it.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I absolutely love the idea of it being an office building infested with evil, but instead of being tasked to destroy the evil you simply have to go about your job whilst dealing with evil in the process. So the end goal isn't to defeat the evil and save the world, it's to get a promotion.

Instead of delving down into dungeons you're delving up and down the office building. It fits so well.

DO IT! DO EEEEET!
    Score would be based on how much money you have at the end of the day, primarily through your salary, which is raised and lowered based on your performance when doing quests. You could also supplement it by collecting pocket change, or you could spend the change on food at vending machines and cafeterias for health.

Your cubicle could serve as a home base where you can rest for free and drop off any valuable items that you can't carry with you. Initially space would be extremely limited, but you'd eventually be able to upgrade to a series of successively larger offices as the game progresses.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ZombieOffice.png

See? Awesome.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

See? Awesome.

They need suits and ties, maybe someone in a casual Friday getup. ;D

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

See? Awesome.

Zombies don't like ties.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

See? Awesome.

Zombies don't like ties.

Collared shirts then?

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Reverse the roles, perhaps?

A zombie corporation trying to survive in the marketplace. You play a zombie drone worker, trying to do your job (quests), advance and get promoted (level up), which leads to new tasks, while dealing with everyday office drama (sidequests) and fending off those pesky human zombie hunters who persist in shooting the sheeyt out of you and your colleagues...

Bosses could be actual bosses, defeat one to get promoted, and today's lunch in the cafeteria is always brains...

I don't know. There might be something here. :)

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How about this?

In a traditional roguelike as I understand it, YOU go into THEIR dungeon and kill them all and steal their shit.

Now if you ask me thats not sensible.

How about THEY are coming into YOUR place and attacking YOU.

Imagine it, you live in zombieapocalypseland, in the last bastion of living humans like in that film i forget the name of, something of the dead probably, and OMG ZOMBIES HAVE BROKEN THRU THE WALL! They're everywhere! Somebody activate the defense system! So your job is to get to, fix and activate the internal defense system thus destroying the zombie incursion. Works like a standard roguelike in a way, but instead of heading down, you head inwards, towards the centre of the city?

Or, combining it with the totally awesome office of the dead setting, how about your office is under attack from zombs and you need to get to the roof to escape in the boss's helicopter, armed only with a red stapler and a laptop (2 handed blunt)? Use a zombie plague or something and all the zombs can be ex-coworkers.

malerik on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    malerik wrote: »
    How about this?

Or, combining it with the totally awesome office of the dead setting, how about your office is under attack from zombs and you need to get to the roof to escape in the boss's helicopter, armed only with a red stapler and a laptop (2 handed blunt)? Use a zombie plague or something and all the zombs can be ex-coworkers.

Personally, I'd rather use a powerstrip. Perhaps, with the use of crafting skills, you could ghetto-rig the stapler on to a glove and use it as a punching weapon? 'Mining' screws out of the cubicle frames and putting them through the powerstrip, thus making a flail?
    I wonder what Zetetic will think of what's become of this thread. He really liked the fantasy/steampunk thing.
    Fending off dwarven zombies with a steam-powered staple remover?

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    My assumption would be that the player is, in fact, a zombie as well.

And through an e-mail glitch you have discovered something. Your corporate bosses are hoarding the most precious thing on earth. The last edible human brain. Not only that, it's a big juciy one, like, Stephen Hawking or something. Something that would give a zombie enormous power and wealth. You've decided to get it.

Now, since the humans are all gone, the zombie food supply would be animal brains. Not as tasty but hey, what can you do. This is their currency too. So, a chicken brain is small currency, whereas a cow brain is large bills.

They would basically have supplanted humanities role in the ecosystem. They still need to farm and such to raise animal brains. Brains could be actively traded on the stock market. Basically, any mindless job that humans do, zombies would. Art and such would be a bit harder for them.

The quest itself would be getting promoted or whatever it takes to reach the top floor of the office building and maybe become the CEO. At which point you can figure out how to get the brain away from the board of zombie directors. (who haven't eaten it because they are fighting over who gets it)

Roshin has the right idea here.

P.S. Glad I amused everyone.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ooh! ooh! combine the dwarves and the zombies!

Dwarf company being overrun by a zombie plague!

wait.

no. sorry no I don't like that.

Stick with the real world setting i think, using real world office supplies as weapons.

Cricket bat that some guy keeps in his locker can be the ultimate weapon (shaun of the dead)

Red staplers mysteriously cause fires!

You can beat up the printer!

you can use a walkie talkie to communicate with the fat black police sergeant outside then drop some c4 twenty stories, causing FBI agents in helicopters to come after you!

or something.

malerik on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    And through an e-mail glitch you have discovered something. Your corporate bosses are hoarding the most precious thing on earth. The last edible human brain. Not only that, it's a big juciy one, like, Stephen Hawking or something. Something that would give a zombie enormous power and wealth. You've decided to get it.

Ah, that's a good idea. Really good. :)

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hehe anyone else in this thread play Harry the handsome executive? Best office based swivel chair adventure game ever.

I prefer the idea that it's a normal office building, normal management, normal staff and normal jobs and objectives for you, but the place just happens to be overrun with monsters. But the management doesn't actually care and they demand that you get on with your work, despite the fact that between you and the fax machine are several zombies feasting on your coworkers or that the photocopier is possessed by an ancient demonic force, or that the basement has been taken over by pirates etc etc etc.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    My assumption would be that the player is, in fact, a zombie as well.

Now, since the humans are all gone, the zombie food supply would be animal brains. Not as tasty but hey, what can you do. This is their currency too. So, a chicken brain is small currency, whereas a cow brain is large bills.

They would basically have supplanted humanities role in the ecosystem. They still need to farm and such to raise animal brains. Brains could be actively traded on the stock market. Basically, any mindless job that humans do, zombies would. Art and such would be a bit harder for them.

The quest itself would be getting promoted or whatever it takes to reach the top floor of the office building and maybe become the CEO. At which point you can figure out how to get the brain away from the board of zombie directors. (who haven't eaten it because they are fighting over who gets it)

Roshin has the right idea here.

P.S. Glad I amused everyone.
    You sir, yes, you, are a genius.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I wake up, and the thread's jumped two pages and everyone's talking about the various office appliances one zombie could rig together to stove another zombie's head in.

Fucking awesome.

The answer is, obviously, to use the (potentially simpler to make) office setting to start with, and then once everyone's happy with it I can move onto the steampunk setting as well, and continue to update both as long as anyone's interested. Since the only real engine difference between them is that the latter has a few more systems, and a different aesthetic. And frankly, I find the idea of using a cricket bat to thwack a coworker in half suddenly very pleasing.

Remember how I said we'd have a squad system? Yeah, well... You'll just go up to one of your coworkers and ask if they want to come down to level 16 with you because you have something really important you have to photocopy.

So I will get right on knocking up some Shaun of the Dead-esque sprites. Whether this game will get out of the office and into a wider city area, we'll just have to wait and see.

To address vhzod's concerns, well, this isn't a game made by committee. Those always, always fail because people are different and have a wide range of tastes and all want to make the best game they can, but never actually agree on what that is. This is a game made by one guy with an open mind and a whole forum community's worth of ideas backing him up. Which sounds good to me.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    PenguinSephPenguinSeph Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dude, again, loving the theme, but we have no engine or anything

The theme can change at a minutes notice. We need an engine so that we know what we can do.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh my god... This is so much more awesome than I could have ever imagined! Thank god for a community of middle class nerds!

I love the idea of running around with a +3 enchanted stapler of disembowelment. Ooh! And you could even have a fireman's axe somewhere in the building-

Break Glass in Case of Fire Emergency

- break glass
    but there isn't a fire emergency!

So, what? A one hundred story office building? You start at the first floor? If you dare, you can even travel down into the 100 stories deep basement levels? A one hundred floor main quest, and a one hundred floor optional quest. If you decide to travel down, you can discover the mystery of the infestation, and solve that. It might make for an interesting moral dilemma. Save the Earth! Or become rich!

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    ZeerusZeerus Registered User new member
    edited April 2007

I read this and first thing that popped into my head was two people having a normal conversation then a random zombie pops his head over the cubicle wall one guy turns and smacks the zombie in the head with a nearby fax machine and they continue their conversation normally

Zeerus on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For planning:
    http://dia-installer.de/index.html

For making it:
    http://www.freebasic.net/ or http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/windows/ and http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page (for multi-platform support)

For organizing the effort:
    http://www.phprojekt.com/

For great justice:
    move zig

MKR on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dude, again, loving the theme, but we have no engine or anything

The theme can change at a minutes notice. We need an engine so that we know what we can do.

That's what I'm working on right now. In fact, what I'm literally working on right now is the timing system. I have the limb damage system all on paper at the moment, we'll see how well the combat works out in practice.

But I'd say a theme is essential to create the engine. If you're doing a superhero roguelike then the combat will be wildly different from a serious roguelike set in a very realistic world. It affects the whole slant of the game mechanics. Not to mention all the extra systems which are directly tied into that world. Somebody playing a WW2 roguelike will not expect the Nazi commander to be casting fireballs.

Wait, that actually sounds kinda cool.

In addition, this is using a graphical interface, so it's not really a true blue roguelike. It's a kind of hybrid. That's why I'm focused so much on the sprites - I need to know what size tiles look good, pin down the exact resmolution, and flesh the mouse scheme out.

Speaking of which, the only necessary keyboard commands will be WASD for movement. Everything else right now will be handled by holding down the lmb and selecting an action from a radial menu - like the quick voice options that pop up when you press Q in Battlefield xxxx. I want your opinions on this scheme, though. Maybe it won't work out. It's an easy enough thing to change.

Expect some kind of awful-looking screenshots sometime tomorrow.

(MKR: thanks dude, there's some really nice tools in that list!)

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page (for multi-platform support)

dont mean to be annoying but yes pleaaaase

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was working on a roguelike in GameMaker, but I couldn't get anywhere :( . I just don't understand GameMaker >.<!

I'll post screenshots.

Edit:

untitled.jpg

rayofash on