As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guys, Let's Make A Roguelike! (Community Roguelike Creation)

12346»

• ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    The protagionist is effectively invulnerable, but must still be able to lose the game and must still grow in power through it
    Man what? Half the fun of roguelikes for me is having my character get killed in bizzare and interesting circumstances.

Dwarf Fortress. I just wandered into a Dark Fortress in adventure mode, and was slaughtered by a pack of ravenous goblin children.

Goblin CHILDREN. I had a crossbow, and shot the first one through the lungs, so he fell over. Shot the second one and actually blew her arm off. Then like four more grabbed onto me, dragged me down, and a goblin with a sword showed up and cut my damn hand off. Then my leg. Then the goblin chlidren bit me to death.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Artheleron wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    The protagionist is effectively invulnerable, but must still be able to lose the game and must still grow in power through it
    Man what? Half the fun of roguelikes for me is having my character get killed in bizzare and interesting circumstances.

Dwarf Fortress. I just wandered into a Dark Fortress in adventure mode, and was slaughtered by a pack of ravenous goblin children.

Goblin CHILDREN. I had a crossbow, and shot the first one through the lungs, so he fell over. Shot the second one and actually blew her arm off. Then like four more grabbed onto me, dragged me down, and a goblin with a sword showed up and cut my damn hand off. Then my leg. Then the goblin chlidren bit me to death.

I enjoy fortress mode so much I never get around to playing adventure mode.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Prophetavius VProphetavius V __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    An Earthbound-themed roguelike.

Your a kid, asleep in your home, suddenly a meteorite crashes. Gigas. Now a randomized journey begins. Modern day setting. Cities. Deserts. Icelands. Time Travel. Swamps. Strange characters. Party members allow for squad based combat like in Dwarf Fortress. No limits on how many party members you can have. Low res graphics. Save the world. Or die trying.

Prophetavius V on
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    oh man. whichever one of you assholes brought up dwarf fort and got me hooked should blow me.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Prophetavius VProphetavius V __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    oh man. whichever one of you assholes brought up dwarf fort and got me hooked should blow me.

how is dwarf fortress these days

Prophetavius V on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I left for a few days, have we gotten anywhere with this?

Sceptre on
    edited May 2007

FUCK!

EDIT: I've started a new game of fallout 2 (I think this will be like my 20th playthrough) to try and cure the DF addiction.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

It's going through a massive overhaul right now. There hasn't been a playable update in months, but there's an ever-increasing changelog that you can view if you want. When all the dust settles, Fortress mode will allow you to build on multiple levels instead of everything being on the same level. In addition, mountains will have shapes instead of just being cliff faces.

jothki on
    edited May 2007
    jothki wrote: »

It's going through a massive overhaul right now. There hasn't been a playable update in months, but there's an ever-increasing changelog that you can view if you want. When all the dust settles, Fortress mode will allow you to build on multiple levels instead of everything being on the same level. In addition, mountains will have shapes instead of just being cliff faces.

pleas stop

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jothki wrote: »

pleas stop

My god.... should have sent a poet....

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.