As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [American Political Media]: The People Who Shape The Political Landscape

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

Looks like someone...

(•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

...called Sean Hannity.

Enc on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Issues. Like actual policy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Oh! I thought it meant issue as a verb. As in like, give coverage

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Fucking process stories...

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    To be 'fair', it's hard to devote any time to the issues when you spend 92.6481% of the time to Trump.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    "Oh the fact that this is from Weiner will make people shrink away from it". That's adorably naive:

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    "Oh the fact that this is from Weiner will make people shrink away from it". That's adorably naive:

Love how they have a pic of Hillary looking at him like she's going to light him on fire.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

...oh fuck y'all, Clan Murdoch.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Dickileaks. DICKILEAKS.

Shut it all down, we're done here.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Dickileaks. DICKILEAKS.

Shut it all down, we're done here.

"Stroking gun".
    "Sext probe".

If nothing else, whoever did that cover had a ton of fun doing it.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Holy crap, everyone. "Murphy Brown" is coming back into syndication next year. Which is incredibly shocking, given it's heavy use of copyrighted music and 80's topical humor.

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2016/09/antenna-tv-adds-9-sitcoms-in-2017-holy.html

For those who are too young to remember, "Murphy Brown" was basically "The Newsroom" in sitcom form.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I hope they get Dan Quayle to comment

Dan...Quayle...now thats a name i haven't heard in a long...time

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    So, Donna Brazile is out:
    CNN says it is "completely uncomfortable" with hacked emails showing former contributor and interim DNC chair Donna Brazile sharing questions with the Clinton campaign before a debate and a town hall during the Democratic primary, and has accepted her resignation.

Hacked emails posted by WikiLeaks show Brazile, whose CNN contract was suspended when she became interim DNC chair over the summer, sharing with the Clinton campaign a question that would be posed to Hillary Clinton before the March CNN Democratic debate in Flint, and sharing with the campaign a possible question prior to a CNN town hall also in March.

In a statement, CNN spokeswoman Lauren Pratapas said that on Oct. 14, the network accepted Brazile's resignation.

"On October 14th, CNN accepted Donna Brazile’s resignation as a CNN contributor. (Her deal had previously been suspended in July when she became the interim head of the DNC.) CNN never gave Brazile access to any questions, prep material, attendee list, background information or meetings in advance of a town hall or debate. We are completely uncomfortable with what we have learned about her interactions with the Clinton campaign while she was a CNN contributor," Pratapas said.

In a tweet, Brazile thanked CNN and her now former colleagues there.

"Thank you @CNN. Honored to be a Democratic Strategist and commentator on the network. Godspeed to all my former colleagues," she wrote.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    So nebulous not even used question bad. Direct campaign shill you and Trump pay for? Perfectly fine.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    But Lewandowski? No, no, he's fine.

• Options
    Remember though our media is liberal.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Love how they have a pic of Hillary looking at him like she's going to light him on fire.

Now we will truly see whether Hillary Clinton has an elite cadre of assassins on hand.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Preacher wrote: »
    So nebulous not even used question bad. Direct campaign shill you and Trump pay for? Perfectly fine.

Not going to argue that Lewandowski needs to go too, but you really don't see an issue with sharing debate question info to only one of the candidates and not all/none?

LostNinja on
  • Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

Not going to argue that Lewandowski needs to go too, but you really don't see an issue with sharing debate question info to only one of the candidates and not all/none?

She didn't even do that. Like this is acorn level bullshit alleging Brazil did something she didn't even do.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

She didn't even do that. Like this is acorn level bullshit alleging Brazil did something she didn't even do.

I'm just going by the first link in the article TryCatcher shared, and if that's true, she did. If you are going to share a topic of a town hall question with a candidate, it should have been shared with both, or neither.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

I'm just going by the first link in the article TryCatcher shared, and if that's true, she did. If you are going to share a topic of a town hall question with a candidate, it should have been shared with both, or neither.

Quoting myself from an older Pres Election Thread
    Ok, I'm going to do something a bit crazy here.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/wikileaks-email-hack-clinton-donna-brazile-229609

Here's the "leaked" question:
    "DEATH PENALTY 19 states and the District of Columbia have banned the death penalty. 31 states, including Ohio, still have the death penalty. According to the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, since 1973, 156 people have been on death row and later set free. Since 1976, 1,414 people have been executed in the U.S. That’s 11% of Americans who were sentenced to die, but later exonerated and freed. Should Ohio and the 30 other states join the current list and abolish the death penalty?"

Here's the question asked in the debate:
    "Secretary Clinton, since 1976, we have executed 1,414 people in this country. Since 1973, 156 who were convicted have been exonerated from the death row. This gentleman here is one of them. This is Ricky Jackson, wrongfully convicted of murder in 1975, he spent 39 years in prison. He is undecided. Ricky, what is your question?" said TV One's Roland Martin, who co-moderated the town hall with CNN anchor Jake Tapper, before introducing questioner Ricky Jackson.

"As stated, I did spend 39 years of my life in prison for a crime of murder I did not commit, and it was only through heroic efforts of the Ohio Innocence Project at the University of Cincinnati that I was ultimately exonerated and am able to stand before you today," Jackson said. "I came perilously close to my own execution, and in light of that, what I have just shared with you and in light of the fact that there are documented cases of innocent people who have been executed in our country, I would like to know how can you still take your stance on the death penalty in light of what we know right now."

So, let's go ahead and assume the worst here. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that Donna gave Hilldawg a heads up that there might have be a question about the Death Penalty in the next debate.

Who here is going to make the claim that Hillary didn't already have an answer to the question of "Death Penalty" prepared since, I dunno, the beginning of time and space?!

Gee, thanks Donna. You really saved Hillary's bacon on this one. No way she could have seen some variant of that question coming.

*edit* I mean, the only thing those two questions have in common is the cite the same "156" statistic and are about a really common issue.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I was looking at this one regarding Flint:

On March 5, Brazile — then a CNN commentator and now the interim chair of the Democratic National Committee — emailed the Clinton campaign with details on a question regarding lead poisoning in Flint, Michigan, the location of the CNN debate to be held the next day.

“One of the questions directed to HRC tomorrow is from a woman with a rash,” Brazile wrote in a March 5 email to Clinton’s senior campaign aides. “Her family has lead poison and she will ask what, if anything, will Hillary do as president to help the ppl of Flint.”

The next night, a woman named Lee-Anne Walters asked both candidates that question.

“After my family, the city of Flint and the children in D.C. were poisoned by lead, will you make a personal promise to me right now that, as president, in your first 100 days in office, you will make it a requirement that all public water systems must remove all lead service lines throughout the entire United States, and notification made to the -- the citizens that have said service lines,” the town hall attendee asked.

The emails released Monday come on top of previous revelations that Brazile leaked details of a different question, this one about the death penalty, to the Clinton campaign before a March 13 CNN town hall featuring both Clinton and Sanders. On Monday, WikiLeaks published more of that thread, featuring a newly released reply in which Brazile promises to send additional questions.

“I’ll send a few more,” she wrote, adding “Though some questions Roland submitted.” The mention of ‘Roland’ is an apparent reference to CNN’s Roland Martin, who was among the hosts of the March 13 event.

Asked about lead poisoning at the March 6 event, Sanders said he would task the EPA with testing all water supplies around the country and repairing water infrastructure.

Clinton answered as well: “I agree completely. I want to go further though. I want us to have an absolute commitment to getting rid of lead wherever it is because it's not only in water systems, it's also in soil, and it's in lead paint that is found mostly in older homes. That's why 500,000 children today have lead -- lead in their bodies,” she said. “So, I want to do exactly what you said. We will commit to a priority to change the water systems, and we will commit within five years to remove lead from everywhere.”

In her email, Brazile indicated that Flint was an important personal cause. “Folks, I did a service project today. It's so tragic. And what's worse, some homes have not been tested and it's important to encourage seniors to also get tested,” she said.

A CNN employee suggested that Brazile may have met the woman who was set to ask the question at the service project she references in the email, but it’s not clear if the person was Walters or someone else.

Shortly after news of the most recent Brazile emails posted, CNN announced they were “completely uncomfortable” to have learned Brazile had shared questions from their events, and had officially severed ties with Brazile, whose contract was suspended while Brazile acted as interim DNC chair.

"On October 14th, CNN accepted Donna Brazile’s resignation as a CNN contributor. (Her deal had previously been suspended in July when she became the interim head of the DNC.) CNN never gave Brazile access to any questions, prep material, attendee list, background information or meetings in advance of a town hall or debate. We are completely uncomfortable with what we have learned about her interactions with the Clinton campaign while she was a CNN contributor,” CNN said in a statement.

Martin did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/live-blog-updates/2016/10/john-podesta-hillary-clinton-emails-wikileaks-000011#ixzz4OgeQmJct
    Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

That seems like a lot of very specific information that she had no business sharing.

Edit: this isn't a question of how much it helped Hillary, if at all, it's a matter of it being incredibly unprofessional on Brazile's part.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    She shouldn't have done if. If not because it's wrong but also because "what are you going to do for me" is the most obvious question in the history of questions.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    She shouldn't have done if. If not because it's wrong but also because "what are you going to do for me" is the most obvious question in the history of questions.

Yeah, I'm not arguing that it helped Hillary in any way whatsoever, just that it's not something a journalist should have done.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    CNN gets no respect from me for this firing. Brazille does this while she's not even on CNN contract, but they think it harms their integrity enough that when I they find out later they ask her to resign.

On the other hand, they HIRE A GUY BEING PAID BY TRUMP'S CAMPAIGN STILL AT THE TIME and leave him on staff all through the election season, despite confirmed sightings of him meeting with Trump backstage at rallies, etc.

CNN is a joke

• Options
    Who's defending CNN?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Who's defending CNN?

I came to post my opinion in this thread, I'm not calling anyone out or anything

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Oh okay. Agreed they're awful.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I can't be mad about Brazille. Should she have forwarded those questions? I can't even answer that question. Did her contract with CNN forbid it or not? Was there some expectation that the questions need to be secret? If so, who was giving the information to Donna, and when are they being fired?

As far as ethical questions go, this is a big fat *shrug*, especially when CNN still has misleading headlines about Comeygate and Corey Fucking Lewandowski on the payroll. They don't get to take the moral high ground unless they're planning on cleaning house.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My problem with CNN and all non-Fox American news networks is that they hire Team Blue and Team Red to repeat talking points at each other and pretend to be people worth listening to. The fuck I want to watch that for? Never will anyone say something worth a damn. So fire Brazile's ass or don't, it's still the same shitty format filled with worthless hacks.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    My problem with CNN and all non-Fox American news networks is that they hire Team Blue and Team Red to repeat talking points at each other and pretend to be people worth listening to. The fuck I want to watch that for? Never will anyone say something worth a damn. So fire Brazile's ass or don't, it's still the same shitty format filled with worthless hacks.

Relegating politics down to a spectator sport.

It's truly awful now.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

I concur. I am not sure real time with bill maher became the format for all news programs but it is super annoying. It is really hard to just turn on CNN as back ground like I used to because it is all just talking heads spouting talking points at each other non stop and spouting the utterest of nonsense back and forth.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    kaid wrote: »

I concur. I am not sure real time with bill maher became the format for all news programs but it is super annoying. It is really hard to just turn on CNN as back ground like I used to because it is all just talking heads spouting talking points at each other non stop and spouting the utterest of nonsense back and forth.

Bill Maher wasn't first. The McLaughlin Group was there before that. And I bet the format probably grew out of the old point/counterpoint segments news broadcasts used to have.
    Journalists James Fallows and ex-McLaughlin panelist Jack Germond opined that the show gloried too much in sensationalism and simplification, to the detriment of serious journalism. Ronald Reagan, while in office as U.S. president, once referred to McLaughlin and his group as taking the traditional Sunday morning talk show format of a moderator with a group of journalists and turning it into "a political version of Animal House."

It only went off the air two months ago.

Roundtable formats became the norm because they're cheap and easy. It's much easier to fill 24 hours with pontification than it is with information.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    It is an incredibly easy format to setup for any possible topic, there is no actual thought put into anything just insert Side A Opinion Spokesperson versus Side B Opinion Spokesperson with no value determination on either the Options being stated or the Ability of said Spokesperson to support it.

They have pumped Cheap and Fast forgetting the 3rd point of the triangle exists.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Talking heads arose as a major time filler at the same time that CNN and other major networks started closing foreign bureaus and laying off investigative journalists. Once the execs figured out that they could cut costs massively without losing audience share by filling their airtime with "experts" and reports sourced from local news/the Internet, it was all downhill from there.

I remember when CNN was primarily 30-minute blocks of reporting alternated with the occasional half-hour show like Crossfire. They'd break in for big stories, but the majority of the time was filled with reported segments. The only time you had commentary was during major events, and it would be stuff like a panel of generals explaining what was happening in a major battle in the war at the time.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    You guys realize the election is now a heated contest of the hot issues:

"Grab the Pussy"

vs

"Pull out the weiner"

right?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Just gonna drop this here. This is a "Proud Independent" who is also "Chief Political Analyst, ABC News".

Fuuuuuuuuuuck off.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    How are those two at all like each other?

This discussion has been closed.