As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cosplay questions

badreflexesbadreflexes Registered User new member
I'm new to attending events and I am interested in cosplaying. I'd like to cosplay a random Mother Base soldier and I was wondering about replica guns. I read the rules covering weapons and how if guns look real they aren't allowed. So I guess my question would be does anyone know where to find toy guns that would work or is there something I can do to show that they are in fact replica weapons. I'd prefer to not buy toy guns because I would prefer to go all out for my first cosplay.

Also if anyone has any cool cosplay stories or other things I should be aware of please share! The more information I get the better!

• Options
    SparkLowSparkLow Registered User new member
    Amazon have lots of toy guns. I have found a few really good ones in costume shops as well.

I found this new post that discusses Phen375.
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Another option is to make your own replica guns from EVA foam. Having done so myself, it's very gratifying, but also a lot of work. Cosplayers, such as Kamui and Punished Props, have tutorials and books to help you get started.

Happy crafting!

Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    Joe.EXEJoe.EXE Registered User regular
    The biggest thing I would be able to recommend as someone who's worked other conventions in the past, put a brightly colored tip on the end of the muzzle (like what you see on most toy guns with the orange tip) and make sure there's no trigger. I'm not the reigning authority on what props are approved and which ones aren't at PAX events, but if they have a peace-bonding station at PAX they should be able to tell you if your prop is approved or not.

On the subject of past cosplay related stories, I have some really cool ones and some really crazy ones.

Let's start with the crazy one first. Working on staff for conventions you get to hear, more or less, all the going on's at conventions. Apparently, a few years ago someone brought an actual gun, one that is capable of firing live ammo from it, to a peace bonding station. They tried to justify it being able to be peace-bonded because "Well, it doesn't have it's firing pin in it, so that should be fine right?" Needless to say that person got their badge pulled for security reasons.

One of the coolest cosplay props that I've seen at a convention so far would have to be a tie between a DJ Sona cosplayer and a Gajeel Redfox cosplayer. The DJ Sona cosplayer had made the skins turntable board and put actual lighting that transitioned through all of the colors. The thing looked stupid heavy but that's probably in part because the thing had speakers in it that played music. The Gajeel Redfox cosplayer also blew me away because he was built perfectly for the cosplay. He also took some metallic dark gray colored fake pearls, split them in half and actually glued them to his face! It was awesome to see.

I love every cosplay I see, though, because of all the effort and passion and pride I see that is put into their work.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    You might look into http://www.blueguns.com/

Our weapons check policies are pretty simple, and we will have weapon check stations where you can get it checked and tagged as safe.
    http://west.paxsite.com/safety-and-security#weapons-check-policies

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    AvaAva Registered User new member
    beker i am interested in visiting one of your station, can you please guide me with the process

• Options
    LedaBunnyLedaBunny Registered User new member
    Amazon have lots of toy guns. I have found a few really good ones in costume shops as well.

• Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Ava wrote: »
    beker i am interested in visiting one of your station, can you please guide me with the process
    Main lobby will have a weapons check booth. It's usually but not always part of the Info booth. Look for a weapons check sign when you arrive.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Weapons check is part of Info Booth now. During the morning rush we may have some roving enforcers as well doing it, but if you don't get checked by the time you get in the door, head to Info.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    dorkboatdorkboat Vancouver, WARegistered User new member
    I'm making a sword using 3-D printing right now, if I use a threaded steel rod in the interior as the stabilizing core, will I get reprimanded, or will it be fine as long as I'm not brandishing it and have it peace bonded? The entirety of the sword will be painted PLA, just a thin steel rod glues in the interior.

• Options
    XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Just use a carbon fiber rod for the core, it's what I've been doing to get around the "no metal allowed" and they're readily available on Amazon.

Also, if it's pointy enough or big and heavy enough 3D printed swords may still not be allowed. if the point is an issue, having foam that secures to the end helps with some cons but I'm not sure about PAX.

Xalara on
  • Options
    Drowning RabbitDrowning Rabbit New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I was thinking about bringing back my Biker cosplay for PAX East this year, however I saw some limits on face coverings for Cosplay?

I understand the need to wear a mask, I'm fine with that, but additionally, the cosplay has a motorcycle helmet that is worn as well. Is this a problem to wear the helmet to PAX this year?