As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    The stories of hackers does hurt my enthusiasm for the game, even though it'll probably never affect me directly. It still does affect lots of little things in the game like auction prices and the like, and I suppose if I ever tried to get into world boss killing and some dude just wiped out the entire group to take the loot for myself, I'd likely consider walking away from the game completely at that point.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I've been playing the trial for a few days and I like it so far, but I think the inventory space is going to be a no-sale for me. I don't like that a pay-for-it-once game seems to be leaning so heavily on a cash shop for such a vital (to me) feature.

edited June 2016
    Inventory space is limited at the beginning, and you can buy more through the cash shop, but you generally should never have to.

There are several quests in the game (many related directly to the main story) which expand your inventory by 1 or 2 spaces at a time, until you end up with a pretty expansive inventory. Plus of course you can have multiple alts for the purposes of 'mules'. On top of that, each of the major towns and cities (and several smaller ones) have storage warehouses where you can keep stuff for long-term storage. This also includes shipping your items between the towns for a pretty small fee. Those storage warehouses start out small at first, but using contribution points (which you earn by completing quests for NPCs), you can buy houses and assign them to storage, increasing your warehouse by quite a lot.

Outside of all that, you earn loyalty points each day you log on, and those points can be spent for further increasing your inventory space.

Toxic Pickle on
    Thanks, I knew about the quest rewards but didn't realize the town storage wasn't universal.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Saving this here for later when I'm not behind a firewall...

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/92143-siege-warfare-manual/

26904.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Been playing this. It's fun but I don't think I can seriously commit to it until they show some signs of making the move to eliminate the processing energy cost. The official word is they included it to keep people from leveling processing and so forth too quickly, but the side effect of that is that the economy is bonkers. It's insanely easy to stockpile vast quantities of base materials and then it just sits there. Most of it can't be sold and you quickly run out of energy to process it, and of course the experience gain from the "low level" processing is extremely low so you don't want to waste energy doing it but since that applies to everyone else too there's very little mid-level market because people can't sell stuff for the "true cost" of energy spent on processing. And of course any money you can make at any of this at any level is dwarfed by the money you could make just by grinding mobs.

Instead of a robust sandbox game it feels more like a grindfest with sandbox window dressing. They want you to just grind, it's far more lucrative than anything else. If you want to focus on the 'life skills' side of the game that mostly means afk fishing while your energy regenerates, and that's just sad.

Now don't get me wrong, the crafting is a lot of fun. You're just so sharply limited in terms of how much time you can spend doing it. And no matter how fun it is you can't help but be let down knowing that any money you make selling finished items is a tiny fraction of what you could have made slaughtering mobs and just vendoring loot drops.

Even having the max base number of alts dedicated to doing the most truly useless tasks like grinding wheat or filling river water bottles so you don't waste your mains precious energy on unskilled tasks this still winds up resembling a facebook game in many ways than a true sandbox. So much afking.

edited June 2016
    Yeah processing gets pretty tedious, but generally you can have workers assist you in the process, which does save lots of energy.

For example with ore, you can have workers mine the ore, which then puts it into your warehouse (of whatever town the workers came from). Then (as best as I've been able to figure) you have to spend your own energy turning that ore into melted shards (I think). However, once you've got the shards, you can use workers to process the shards into ingots which are generally what is used both for crafting and sale.

This does not completely mitigate the issue, and also does nothing for the fact that the items you create aren't worth much and there are far superior ways to earn money. Also of course, you need to spend energy creating food (beer) for your workers to have energy. I personally don't craft to earn money, but to make stuff for myself (like tools and gear) so that's not really an issue, but I can see the issue.

Ultimately, I think the issue with BDO is that there's no community. You never have to talk to people, trade with them, group with them, or anything else until you are forced into PVP at the end-game. The AFK thing only worsens this problem because now the people you see often aren't even there. I'm still enjoying it a bit, mainly leveling and breeding horses, but I've found that, like so many others, I'm rarely actually *playing* the game.

Toxic Pickle on
    Yeah processing gets pretty tedious, but generally you can have workers assist you in the process, which does save lots of energy.

For example with ore, you can have workers mine the ore, which then puts it into your warehouse (of whatever town the workers came from). Then (as best as I've been able to figure) you have to spend your own energy turning that ore into melted shards (I think). However, once you've got the shards, you can use workers to process the shards into ingots which are generally what is used both for crafting and sale.

This does not completely mitigate the issue, and also does nothing for the fact that the items you create aren't worth much and there are far superior ways to earn money. Also of course, you need to spend energy creating food (beer) for your workers to have energy. I personally don't craft to earn money, but to make stuff for myself (like tools and gear) so that's not really an issue, but I can see the issue.

Ultimately, I think the issue with BDO is that there's no community. You never have to talk to people, trade with them, group with them, or anything else until you are forced into PVP at the end-game. The AFK thing only worsens this problem because now the people you see often aren't even there. I'm still enjoying it a bit, mainly leveling and breeding horses, but I've found that, like so many others, I'm rarely actually *playing* the game.

With your specific example, mining is gathering exp not processing, and melting the shards is the lowest (and thus lowest exp) step.

Then making the ingots, which is the better part of that equation, if you have workers do it you miss out on the better processing exp *and* workers cannot make more than one ingot per 10 shards so you're *really* losing out if you allow them to do that step.

The Russian, Japanese, and Korean versions of the game do not have energy cost for processing, and a lot of the recipes don't make any sense at all unless you have free processing. The energy investment to make the best pet food, for example, is completely fucking insane and is in no way a reasonable recipe if you have to pay energy for processing. It will always, always, at any skill level, be more efficient to make the lower kind of pet food because the better pet food requires oatmeal.

Oatmeal, by the way, is a worker food that no one will ever bother to craft because it is ridiculously energy inefficient compared to beer, which is easier to make and vastly more energy efficient.

So you work on improving your cooking only to learn that a lot of the "better" recipes are always worse.

That's not good.

Yeah I wasn't speaking of efficiency, just in terms of how I get things done because efficiency doesn't really matter in the long run unless for some reason you're trying to power level your skills... which I suppose some people do want to do.

I've not had much reason to care... I can make what I need for myself to keep my little empire going and my skills improve over time, even if not in the most efficient manner. For example, I let my processing alts regen energy offline, which obviously takes much longer, but I still tend to have plenty to keep the process going when I need to.

Power leveling is when you buy materials off the auction house and rapidly level a crafting skill or grind mobs en masse etc.

I'm talking about gathering your own materials, processing them, and making a finished good. You don't get enough energy to do very much of this. And that's lame. Wanting to focus on crafting isn't some sort of powergaming gambit, it's some people's preferred playstyle.

Per the patch notes we are getting energy-free processing tomorrow. Which will be nice, and was necessary. They've had enough time to let the true powerlevelers flex their epeen by getting master level crafting, now they can let everyone else play without having to go afk every half hour in order to play as a crafter.

That's good news; my trial ran out today and I wasn't going to purchase in large part because of that.

edited June 2016
    I'm stupidly excited for all the cool stuff I'm going to cook! I will start growing onions again so I can make oatmeal for my workers instead of beer. I will actually use all the chicken I farmed to make fine pet food!

I currently run three 7-plot gardens and have been growing top quality strawberries in two of them while trying to upgrade sunflower seeds in the third plot. Now I can stop spinning my wheels with that and go back to growing stuff to cook with.

Regina Fong on
  • tricontricon Registered User regular
    I'm stupidly excited for all the cool stuff I'm going to cook! I will start growing onions again so I can make oatmeal for my workers instead of beer. I will actually use all the chicken I farmed to make fine pet food!

I currently run three 7-plot gardens and have been growing top quality strawberries in two of them while trying to upgrade sunflower seeds in the third plot. Now I can stop spinning my wheels with that and go back to growing stuff to cook with.

Is the limiting factor with oatmeal not milk? I used them only to make my own organic feed for my pets but did not sell it on the market.

The patch notes are nice in more then one way. I like the Zerker buffs but after reaching now lvl 55 again with another char I will take a break from this game. I have zero interest to push any further without the awakening weapons. Will be back ~XMas, hopefully then with the new weapon toys, no dsync and the new KR lvl exp curve, enjoy. : 8-)

Milk is super easy to get. Park a newbie alt in the cow farm in Olvia. Spend maybe 10 minutes a day on that character doing nothing but milking. In a week, you'll have more milk than you'll every need.

26904.png
    edited June 2016
    Stupid wrote: »
    Milk is super easy to get. Park a newbie alt in the cow farm in Olvia. Spend maybe 10 minutes a day on that character doing nothing but milking. In a week, you'll have more milk than you'll every need.

Right, and onions are easy to get by the bushel if you garden (and I do). There isn't a single limiting factor that makes oatmeal (or cheese pie for that matter) energy inefficient compared to beer it's a cumulative effect. By eliminating one of those factors, in this case processing energy cost, the higher tier recipes are made viable. The lower tier ones continue to be fine if you don't want to be bothered with the more difficult to manage ingredients of course.

Regina Fong on
  • ky13ky13 Registered User regular
    Anyone else having connection issues?

Eternity_Sky-banner-4.png
    Hey, it's me, Teldra! Did someone say "greatsword"? [Eternity]
    ky13 wrote: »
    Anyone else having connection issues?

God yes. I get booted off sometimes and then there's some sort of a cookie issue and it acts like my account isn't recognized for about 10 minutes until it clears it.

The pre-Valencia update is happening now, servers down. Free processing and node wars!

AFK fishing has taken a big hit with mobile hotspots. Many sad fishermen in my guild.

• ky13ky13 Registered User regular
    Servers are totally SNAFU. Every few hours I was sort of "frozen" in time. And now I was just disconnected. This patch has issues.

Eternity_Sky-banner-4.png
    Hey, it's me, Teldra! Did someone say "greatsword"? [Eternity]
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Servers are back up. I really need to get back into this game...

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    I'm super excited about node wars. Do we have 10 people willing to play? It's been like only 2-3 people online (and they're AFK) everytime I look.

26904.png
  • BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I'm now back to playing pretty regularly with a few friends. I'm not on EVERY day but I'm playing a decent bit again

Getting aggravated that my guild only wants to run Mediah missions, where everything is just slightly too strong and you get pk'ed every two minutes. I'm just going to start ignoring guild missions.

• jimmyw404jimmyw404 Registered User new member
    Valencia is releasing tomorrow. How goes it on Orwen?

My guild, PRX, is doing well. We were one of four groups to take a region in the first round of sieges and are totally pumped for the Valencia content.

Well everyone is happy that the big guilds changed their icons away from juvenile meme crap, I can say that for sure.

• jimmyw404jimmyw404 Registered User new member
    I think everyone from ArcheAge was upset they couldn't release the juvenile meme crap in this game :D

So for anyone venturing into the desert it looks as though the heat stroke and hypothermia debuffs do not end on their own, so if you don't have purified water/star anise tea to remove the debuffs you will die if you go into the desert, period.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    So this thread appears to have ded'd, but if anyone even wants to look at the game anymore, there is this

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/106513-updated-in-game-accessibility-to-pearl-shop-items/&page=1

Even though they ended up putting a restriction on it, this is basically turning the whole thing into one huge lie. People were made to pay for the game to.... pay for the game. It is almost like the people bringing it over said "they want it to be b2p, well here you go spend money on the game. The reason? Lol"

That's a shitty move. But it would benefit me personally actually.. I play super casual, no pvp etc and I have no desire to sink cash into the shop, but I have tons of ingame cash so I could see picking up some pearl items that way. Would be nice have more than one pet!

Assuming the game survives this, that is.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    So this game is $10 right now, I picked it up, I have zero experience with it...here goes?

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    From the tone of this last page I wager BDO isn't a very sound investment even on sale. Which is sad.

I think $10 is a good price. The initial learning stage and sub-50s leveling are the most fun I had with it, figuring out trade routes, how node investing works, etc.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I think $10 is a good price. The initial learning stage and sub-50s leveling are the most fun I had with it, figuring out trade routes, how node investing works, etc.

Yeah I am having a good time with it so far, $10 wasn't a big investment, if I get a good few hours of entertainment out of it, or play it for a month I will have gotten my monies worth. The game still seems pretty populated too, so it isn't dead.

What exactly is it that everyone hates so much about this game, besides the decision to allow people to buy/sell cash shop items for in game silver?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    Speaking only for myself, it was the focus on end-game PvP that caused me to peter out on the game eventually. I know this might seem silly since the PvP thing was advertised from the get-go, but it was also advertised as having a strong policing system that kept griefing to a minimum and let people who wanted to focus on other things do that for the most part. More recent updates have all but killed that from what I heard, with player griefing becoming a very common thing, and the justice system being basically worthless.

I loved my time with BDO and honestly, I'd probably come back to it if they took away automatic PvP flagging at a certain level, and just let me continue focusing on trade skills and exploring how I like. It's the most fun I've had with an MMO since I quit WoW a few years ago.

What exactly is it that everyone hates so much about this game, besides the decision to allow people to buy/sell cash shop items for in game silver?

I don't hate this game, still on "break" until ~XMas. I think it's still a good game and if you play casual very enjoyable. It has a ton of quest, you can lvl up not only through combat and you have more things to do then most MMOs offer. The cut the lvl curve a few times and it should now be on pair with Korea so that you can lvl very easy to 56 after that you will hit a exp wall. For 10$ it's a buy but my guess would be it goes F2P over the next 6 month even in NA/EU..........

However if you play since beta you have a shitload on broken promises from Daum now Kakao games. The last one was to release the awakening classes every 14days over the course of few month and not "all" at once that really kills any kind of pvp balance. Have not seen a company since Star Wars Galaxies NGE that tries sp hard to piss off so many customers over a very short timespan. Introducing "pure" P2W elements with allowing selling shop items for $ into ingame currency via the AH, followed shortly with a new awakening release procedure that has a bad impact on the pvp side in game where you can kill anyone after lvl 46 that makes some classes even more powerful then others until the can get the own awakening weapons a few weeks or a few month later................

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Oh lord I didn't even remember that when I saw that thing about awakenings release schedule. They did say the whole reason they were waiting on them in the first place was to "keep it even" and release them all at once. So the wait was pointless.

Yeah that is some scummy shit.

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    So, bought this for 10€. Having fun, made some good cash from fishing already. Don't have a clue what to do with nodes etc. but trying to educate myself.

Got a free tier 3 horse with the daily login event thing that's going on right now. And other seemingly good stuff.

I think that I'll try to stick with crafting and trading stuff in this game, have no ambitions to become a great fighter or something.

The released in KR the last awakening weapon a couple days ago for the Wizard, to bad EU/US needs to wait 2 more month, thanks to the stupid decision to release them here in stages every 2 weeks. The last awakening class in KR until the release the next expansion and add the new 2h Dark Elf class, think in the way a Giant stands for the Berzerker.

Wizard
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnKQ8q4TsaE

vs.

Witch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llOhyPYlO_s

After the awakening the branch now into the own weapons/abilities and don't share them any longer over the base skills.

His "specialty" is, to turn young again :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kOvUsxADJ4

Overall gfx and skills wise it looks fun, the pet even have a much shorter cast time then the tamers and survive a puddle of water :twisted:
    You can get new 7 day passes here: http://www.mmogames.com/giveaways/black-desert-online-7-day-guest-pass-giveaway/

Now if I could only force myself to support them again ...........