As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Archer: *Now* it's done

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    EDIT: Current season spoilers ahoy:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/44245/-archer-goes-1920-s-p-i-for-next-season

I like the sound of this.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Very real spoiler in that link related to the end of the season.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Fucking horrible idea. Might as well skip everything but the last episode and wait another goddamn year.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Don't hold back.

Tell us how you really feel.

:-P

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Fucking horrible idea. Might as well skip everything but the last episode and wait another goddamn year.

What if it's funny?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Wait a minute. So if the upcoming season is set in
    The 1920s?

Archer: Bootlegger?

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Next Season Speculation based on Spoiler:
    I wouldn't be surprised if after investigating the murder of Woodhouse in his dream for an entire season, he wakes up in the finale having figured out something key regarding the real Woodhouse's disappearance.

Or, since Woodhouse's original voice actor passed away, perhaps they'll decide the real Woodhouse is also dead and have Archer's dream be how he works through this realization and dealing with it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I think that could be pretty good.

speculation
    Considering the framing, I don't think the premise lasts the whole season.

Fencingsax on
  • Options

What if it's funny?
    I want to see what happens next with Archer, not an entire throw away season of 'what if' episodes that do nothing to further the cast at large in the best setting they've had since the original following what was a really excellent season.

I figured the best way out of that finale was to just have Archer in a coma, and getting in his head there would be fine for a two part premiere or even another three part in between seasons special, but not a whole damn season.

This can be salvaged for me if the episodes have scenes outside of Archers head as the rest of the cast is doing whatever it is they're doing and the plots of the story inside Archers head is altered in real time on occasion by the things the rest of the cast say to him at his bedside when visiting him with the things they'd say or confess to him in that condition.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'll take funny over plot advancement in my comedy cartoons.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

What if it's funny?
    I want to see what happens next with Archer, not an entire throw away season of 'what if' episodes that do nothing to further the cast at large in the best setting they've had since the original following what was a really excellent season.

I figured the best way out of that finale was to just have Archer in a coma, and getting in his head there would be fine for a two part premiere or even another three part in between seasons special, but not a whole damn season.

This can be salvaged for me if the episodes have scenes outside of Archers head as the rest of the cast is doing whatever it is they're doing and the plots of the story inside Archers head is altered in real time on occasion by the things the rest of the cast say to him at his bedside when visiting him with the things they'd say or confess to him in that condition.
    Yeah, this season could be "redeemed" if Archer can still actually hear everyone talking around him and it affects what he experiences in the coma.

And maybe possibly help Archer get through his Mommy issues.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    fake spoilers to lower expectations in preparation for massive hypestorm?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Loot Crate this month was an Archer jackpot!
    q3m6z0111pcf.jpg
    j196w5ed8wd5.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Archer set to end after season 10
    "Can a show go on too long?” Milazzo asked, wondering out loud if Reed and his business partner Matt Thompson ever discuss the end of the hit show.

“The plan is to end Archer after season 10,” Reed blurted out. “I don’t know that anybody has talked about that, but that is definitely my plan — to do eight, nine and 10. They’re going be each shorter seasons of just eight episodes, and then wind it up.

“I was gonna end it after [season] eight, but then I had sort of a brain explosion of a way that I could do three more seasons and really keep my interest up. So, the three seasons that are coming up are gonna be pretty different from what has come before, and they’re gonna be different from each other.”

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Right on. Archer's been great and I'm willing to give a watch to whatever they put out, but it makes me happy they have a plan to end it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Right on. Archer's been great and I'm willing to give a watch to whatever they put out, but it makes me happy they have a plan to end it.

I'm fine with the shorter seasons too. It's felt like a few episodes each season have been time fillers not up to par with the rest of the season.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    honestly I kinda feel like it's already run 'too long.' It still manufactures the funny from time to time but a lot of the interactions between characters are well-trod territory at this point and there's little real development of anybody (like, the archer/lana/mallory love triangle that's really the heart of the show seems to be in story-limbo and has been for a while.)

maybe knowing an end date will tighten stuff up for them, although that spoiler about the next season doesn't really lead me to think that

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Sounds like the next three will be further wacky reboots.

Which is fine with me.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I dislike the reboots. At least the private eye one was mostly the same as being spies. But the cocanine one was pretty bad over all and this new one doesn't sound like it will be great either.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    It probably ends with the cast in a homeless shelter.

And then they burn the homeless shelter at the end of the episode.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I dislike the reboots. At least the private eye one was mostly the same as being spies. But the cocanine one was pretty bad over all and this new one doesn't sound like it will be great either.

A big part of why the private eye theme worked is that it gave legitimate reasons for all the cast to go into the field and not just Archer, Lana, and Ray. It gave opportunities to give the whole cast more depth. In contract, the cocaine season reduced a bunch of characters to one note jokes that got old quickly.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm hoping that in this new season we'll get to explore Archer's neurosis and possibly have some revelations and character growth.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

A big part of why the private eye theme worked is that it gave legitimate reasons for all the cast to go into the field and not just Archer, Lana, and Ray. It gave opportunities to give the whole cast more depth. In contract, the cocaine season reduced a bunch of characters to one note jokes that got old quickly.

For as much as I looked forward to Season 5, this is why it is unwatchable for me. Pam was literally insufferable that season. Watched each episode once and never again.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    This thread reminded me I somehow missed Season 7!

The description of the Myrtle Beach incident had me dying

edit: what a shitty way to end the season

Xaquin on
  • Options
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Didn't they say that last year too? And then it didn't happen.

sig.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Didn't they say that last year too? And then it didn't happen.

Quite possibly more concrete now given the message at the end of one of the promo clips.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Trailer! (Sorry I can't link directly)

Starts April 5. And apparently they really, really mean the FXX move this time.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    It seems from the Ending of Season 7, now Season 8
    Archer is probably in a Coma the entire year, and probably dreaming about this 40-50's era he and the crew are in?

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So I expect reports on whether this new season is any good.

• Options
    when does it start?

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    As silly as the dream state is, I'm super duper ok with the fact that Archer post season 4 is basically "Adam Reed gets bored and expresses his various cinematic fantasies through a single medium."

I don't think this show would be the same if they'd just stuck with ISIS this whole time.

Also, the Season 7 dreamland needs to have some GE Toaster laying around at some point with the word "Milton" on it.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    when does it start?

In 53 minutes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That was ...alright. Because they're not all working together you can't get the throwing jokes at a wall chemistry of the full cast.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    That was ...alright. Because they're not all working together you can't get the throwing jokes at a wall chemistry of the full cast.

I feel like it will get there eventually.

They had to set up the premise. Hopefully next week they can really take off with it.
    Taking our barry's legs again made me laugh a bit more than I am proud of

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thread title is wrong again! No longer no longer back!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I hope the setup isn't the only scene we get by his bedside.

I'm sure this side story will be entertaining but it's still going to be really annoying if we don't get actual plot development from last year until next year.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    They will probably go back and forth over the course of the season