As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The GOP Primary Thread: Beyond Thunderdome

19596979899101»

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Trump in 2000
    The new interim head of the Reform Party, Pat Choate, described Mr. Trump as a "hustler" last night, and said he had never believed that Mr. Trump had any interest beyond promoting himself and a new book that happened to be published at exactly the time he started his light schedule of campaign travel.

....Mr. Trump painted a fairly dark picture of the Reform Party in his statement, noting the role of Mr. Buchanan, along with the roles of David Duke, a former leader of the Ku Klux Klan, and Lenora Fulani, the former standard-bearer of the New Alliance Party and an advocate of Marxist-Leninist politics. "The Reform Party now includes a Klansman, Mr. Duke, a neo-Nazi, Mr. Buchanan, and a communist, Ms. Fulani," he said in his statement. "This is not company I wish to keep."

Trump February 28th, 2016
    TAPPER: Will you unequivocally condemn David Duke and say that you don't want his vote or that of other white supremacists in this election?

DONALD TRUMP: Well just so you understand, I don't know anything about David Duke, OK?....I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists....

TAPPER: Would you just say unequivocally you condemn them and you don't want their support?

TRUMP: Well I have to look at the group. I don't know what group you are talking about, you wouldn't want me to condemn a group that I know nothing about....

TAPPER: The Ku Klux Klan?....I mean I'm just talking about David Duke and the Ku Klux Klan here.

TRUMP: I don't know any — honestly I don't know David Duke. I don't believe I've ever met him. I'm pretty sure I didn't meet him, and I just don't know anything about him.

Donald Trump refuses to condemn the KKK

People who like Trump read this as Donald Trump refuses to dance to Jake Tapper's tune.

But unlike Republicans, you can expect Hillary to be beating his ass with this from day one.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Preacher wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    Who knows what he'll do?

I approve of him saying "Medicare and social security is cool" but that isn't a predictor of anything.

I want him to be the nominee because I think Rubio could beat Clinton handily while Trump would likely lose and his taking the nomination would completely change US politics for the better, albeit after a period of chaos.

Hahaha yeah and Marco was the real winner of the primaries so far, come on Rubio trips on his dick about literally everything.

Rubio is faltering because the GOP primary base is completely nucking futs. The MSM hates Clinton and Rubio is a smooth worm who's worked at his debating skills, while Clinton is a worse campaigner than a politician.

Absalon on
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, I don't see this "Marco would, like, totally win". He's a guy that is about to get smoked by Trump for a lot on his own state.

Trump IS the more "electable" of the GOP field.

TryCatcher on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Rubio is a better campaigner than politician mainly because it would be hard for him to have been a worse politician.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Rubio's "debating skills" is to get a handful of prepared statements ahead of time and to run them into the ground. It works well enough when there are 5-10 crazies on the stage and the spotlight is only on him for a few minutes a night. He'd get pulverized in a real one-on-one debate in the general.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Rubio's "debating skills" is to get a handful of prepared statements ahead of time and to run them into the ground. It works well enough when there are 5-10 crazies on the stage and the spotlight is only on him for a few minutes a night. He'd get pulverized in a real one-on-one debate in the general.

It doesn't work well enough either. Like, at all.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I mean..."well enough" compared to the standard set by Jeb or Christie or Carson.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Christie shredded him though.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Who knows what he'll do?

I approve of him saying "Medicare and social security is cool" but that isn't a predictor of anything.

I want him to be the nominee because I think Rubio could beat Clinton handily while Trump would likely lose and his taking the nomination would completely change US politics for the better, albeit after a period of chaos.

Hahaha yeah and Marco was the real winner of the primaries so far, come on Rubio trips on his dick about literally everything.

it'd be awesome if some of the posters in this thread were correct, we could just wrap the whole thing up right now

unfortunately we all know that's not the case. Rubio is the only inspiring candidate on the GOP stage but it gets little time to shine while defending against or attacking trump. kasich tries but it doesn't come across like Rubio.

idk about handily but he scares me the most. it seems apparent that a large amount of people out there think he's the most electable. if you don't think any of them can ever beat hillary, awesome, and I hope you're right.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    I mean..."well enough" compared to the standard set by Jeb or Christie or Carson.

So, ok-ish until someone notices him? That's the Carson standard.

• SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Plus, again, Marco is being drawn into a primary that's all "You so ugly" and "You such a pussy" lame stand up routines. Even if he comes out on top, I'm not sure how you pivot from that into well mannered statesman. Dude is opening speeches with a Trump piss-pants joke for goodness sake.

SarcasmoBlaster on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

He'd have done great in a year when everyone was following the script.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

Carson? That's the GOP Primary Standard. You're "the one" until you get your shot, then you melt under the focused attention. Bachmann, Santorum, Cain, Carson, Cruz... (even more hilarious that Jeb didn't even get to that point).

Delzhand wrote: »

Carson? That's the GOP Primary Standard. You're "the one" until you get your shot, then you melt under the focused attention. Bachmann, Santorum, Cain, Carson, Cruz... (even more hilarious that Jeb didn't even get to that point).

One of the chief reasons Trump crept up on everyone was that it just seemed like another clown's turn in the spotlight. It wasn't really until the votes started coming in that reality dawned.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I should add that for Hillary to lose PA she would have to pull a Milliband and the whole map would look pretty ugly.

The AFL-CIO declined to endorse Clinton, partially because the leadership were split between her and Sanders but mostly because the vast majority of the rank and file were for Trump. That's worrisome when it comes to Pennsylvania and Ohio.

This is the second time you've said this without posting a link for a pretty important claim. I cannot find things to back this up, and none of the stories about it mention anything about it.

And basically if Latinos go 80-20 driven by Trump's hatred and Clinton is as strong with the African-American community as South Carolina indicated (and when the President starts campaigning for the Democratic nominee...) the GOP has to win something absurd like 70% of the white vote nationwide to be competitive. That's simply not happening.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Whites in Wisconsin were stupid enough to reelect Walker again and again. And this will be the first election after racism was declared a non-factor in voting regulation and standards by the supreme court.

Absalon on
    edited February 2016
    Wrong post.

TryCatcher on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Whites in Wisconsin were stupid enough to reelect Walker again and again. And this will be the first election after racism was declared a non-factor in voting regulation and standards by the supreme court.

If he got 65% of the vote I might be concerned. Especially with general election year turnout.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I should add that for Hillary to lose PA she would have to pull a Milliband and the whole map would look pretty ugly.

The AFL-CIO declined to endorse Clinton, partially because the leadership were split between her and Sanders but mostly because the vast majority of the rank and file were for Trump. That's worrisome when it comes to Pennsylvania and Ohio.

This is the second time you've said this without posting a link for a pretty important claim. I cannot find things to back this up, and none of the stories about it mention anything about it.

And basically if Latinos go 80-20 driven by Trump's hatred and Clinton is as strong with the African-American community as South Carolina indicated (and when the President starts campaigning for the Democratic nominee...) the GOP has to win something absurd like 70% of the white vote nationwide to be competitive. That's simply not happening.

New York Times did a pretty big story on the phenomenon. I've seen mentions of union member support for Trump other places, as well.'' As for the "vast majority", I'll admit that came from a tweet earlier in the week by a journalist, so sourcing could be better.

I wish I had your confidence on the general election.

This discussion has been closed.