As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [nfl] Was Who We Thought They Were

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I feel really bad for Aguayo. He's going to be scrutinized all year.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Yeah. I pushed the draft back and I think I'll make some crazy 6 team rosters for the hell of it.

Do you have a link to join? I'm interested in gifting everyone free wins.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    patriots are off to a good start and already down two oline guys. jimmy G better be practicing his quick release

Jars on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I feel like the stress is probably getting to him

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    At least Florida State kickers are used to going wide right.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Did my draft Saturday, was NOT happy with being stuck picking at 4. Julio should be cool but my initial plan was allen robinson/keenan allen/kelvy first three rounds and uh clearly that didn't work out, allen robinson got taken one pick before me at 20th overall. sumbitch

Julio Jones
    Kelvin Benjamin
    Doug Martin
    Desean Jackson
    Shit Taco AKA Laserface AKA Phil Rivers
    Delanie Walker
    Marvin Jones
    Matt Stafford
    Derrick Henry
    Alfred Morris
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins
    Laquon Treadwell
    Clive Walford
    Oakland D
    Travis Benjamin
    DeAndre Washington
    Roberto Aguayo
    Minnesota D
    Bert Flacco
    Terrelle Pryor

Probably went too hard on the WRs this year but damn do I not feel good about RBs past the tip top guys, and besides derrick henry and alfred morris are both gonna get solid amounts of carries imho.

It feels weird actually wanting oakland guys, they've sucked ass for so long

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    FUCK I forgot about the draft!

whew it got moved anyway.

rhylith on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm actually liking watching preseason, which I have never done before. it's not about the team winning or losing, but from a more personal view of the individual players trying to make a roster spot. nice change up from high stakes regular season games

that said the giants looked baaaaad yesterday

the preseason is fun because everything's made up and the points don't matter

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Preseason update: Bucs' 2nd round kicker fucked up the first PAT

Week 2 update:

im lovin it

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Looks like Vontae Davis is missing at least a month. Think I can name only 1 other guy on that defense, it will be brutal without him.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Someone randomly woke up to a naked Todd Marinovich in their backyard.

He had weed and meth on him apparently.... Not sure where though.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Downloading Madden cause I'm bored

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I was trying to buy it from my brother's house and PSN kept having issues, so I guess it'll wait until I feel like playing it.

• Options
    I have no interest in buying Madden right now. First time I haven't bought it in release day in... 10 years maybe

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    I have no interest in buying Madden right now. First time I haven't bought it in release day in... 10 years maybe

Same, last year wasn't anything special and the updates don't look impressive at all.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I really wish they had madden for pc.

• Options
    I just find I'd rather play The Show. I'm sure I'll get Madden eventually. Just not right away. I'm not jacked for football quite yet.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah that the only good baseball game is PS4 only bugs me. Oh well console bullshit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I might bite on Madden when it's $20 to $30

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm almost tempted enough by the upgrade to the commentary and the way that they'll be recording new stuff for specific match-ups. That's pretty dope.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Do you mean recently, or like 20 years ago?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    So my money league has transitioned to a keeper league.

We get 3 for 1 round up from pick position.

Mariota - 9th
    D Johnson (Arizona) 13th !!
    J Langford 13th

14 teama. Pretty dang happy with that.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Do you mean recently, or like 20 years ago?
    Recently.

I feel bad for that guy, his father was psychotic.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I still dont understand why they dont out madden on pc.

I feel like a ton of people would buy that

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    So my money league has transitioned to a keeper league.

We get 3 for 1 round up from pick position.

Mariota - 9th
    D Johnson (Arizona) 13th !!
    J Langford 13th

14 teama. Pretty dang happy with that.

That's pretty awesome

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options

Probably re-entering the draft next year. Hopefully the Chargers don't try to take him and do this bullshit again

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    They can't take him again in next year's draft, its one of the rules.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Dumbasses. I hope someone in the division drafts him and he gets to play against them for years.

• Options
    it always sounded like the problem is bosa, not the chargers. you can only give a rookie so much money he's gaining nothing

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    it always sounded like the problem is bosa, not the chargers. you can only give a rookie so much money he's gaining nothing

Not what I had heard...I had heard the Chargers are refusing to give him what is pretty much the standard deal for his draft position. Not that I can confirm that...but now I wonder what is true.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The two issues appear to be A. he wants his entire signing bonus up front, team wants to pay it over time and B. the team wants offset language in the contract, he doesn't. What's offset language you ask? Well: "Without offset language, the player is entitled to all of the money his original team was supposed to pay in his fourth season, and he can sign a new contract with another team and also earn all of that money." Both sides want what they want and what they want makes sense but generally the Chargers would have compromised on one or the other of those and it looks like they aren't. Dumbasses.

• Options
    The San Diego Chargers' best offer yet? It was rejected by former Ohio State Buckeyes DE Joey Bosa.

It included a signing bonus larger than any player has received in the last two drafts. And he would have made more $$$ than all but one other rookie in 2016.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    The Chargers are super cheapskates when it comes to rookie contracts. I'll assume it's their fault until proven otherwise. Their top picks constantly hold out on them.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Official Statement from Joey Bosa's representatives:
    It is unfortunate the San Diego Chargers have decided to manipulate facts and negotiate in the media. The team surely is not strengthening its relationship with Joey Bosa by taking this stance and making their position public.

We have decided that we will not engage in public negotiations or discuss numbers and/or terms in this negotiation.

We will say, that it is ironic that the team now takes issue with the timing of Joey’s arrival, since the Chargers unilaterally decided to remain silent for the first 14 days of training camp instead of replying in a timely fashion to the proposal we made on the eve of training camp on July 28th.

At this point, all we can do is continue to fight for a fair contract on behalf of our client, as we do for all of our clients. The Chargers can focus on trying to sway public opinion, but our focus will remain on our client and securing a contract for him that is fair and consistent with his draft position.

As always, don't believe owners' lies

By all accounts now, what happened was he wanted his entire signing bonus. They wanted to pay him $10 mil in Dec and the rest in March when the next league year starts. He eventually caved it down to 80% instead of 100% and they still wouldn't budge, just like they won't budge on wanting offset language

Bosa literally asked for something every other draft pick in the top 5 has gotten since the CBA in 2011 (signing bonus, guaranteed, not fucked with, and upfront) and the 2016 Chargers are the only team in the new CBA's history to not even accomplish that bare minimum.

He doesn't trust them not wanting to pay him every cent until the next league year because there's always a chance they cut him loose for any insane reason (there's no good/sane/not evil reason for why they wouldn't pay him, likewise for why they wouldn't keep him), and after they just drove fan favorite Weddle out of town on a rail even though he wanted to stay, AND pissed off fans (about to vote in November on whether or not to keep them btw) by trying to leave for LA, Bosa's the opposite of wrong for distrusting the Chargers.

17 of their 28 first round draft picks since Spanos got the team have held out. At some point, you gotta think the disrespect isn't coming from the picks.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    And if I remember right, he was fine with only getting one of the two, either the signing or the offset.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    they would have changed GMs a few times over that length of time. do they have a hiring clause for GMs stating they must lowball rookies or something

• Options
    Official Statement from Joey Bosa's representatives:
    It is unfortunate the San Diego Chargers have decided to manipulate facts and negotiate in the media. The team surely is not strengthening its relationship with Joey Bosa by taking this stance and making their position public.

We have decided that we will not engage in public negotiations or discuss numbers and/or terms in this negotiation.

We will say, that it is ironic that the team now takes issue with the timing of Joey’s arrival, since the Chargers unilaterally decided to remain silent for the first 14 days of training camp instead of replying in a timely fashion to the proposal we made on the eve of training camp on July 28th.

At this point, all we can do is continue to fight for a fair contract on behalf of our client, as we do for all of our clients. The Chargers can focus on trying to sway public opinion, but our focus will remain on our client and securing a contract for him that is fair and consistent with his draft position.

As always, don't believe owners' lies

By all accounts now, what happened was he wanted his entire signing bonus. They wanted to pay him $10 mil in Dec and the rest in March when the next league year starts. He eventually caved it down to 80% instead of 100% and they still wouldn't budge, just like they won't budge on wanting offset language

Bosa literally asked for something every other draft pick in the top 5 has gotten since the CBA in 2011 (signing bonus, guaranteed, not fucked with, and upfront) and the 2016 Chargers are the only team in the new CBA's history to not even accomplish that bare minimum.

He doesn't trust them not wanting to pay him every cent until the next league year because there's always a chance they cut him loose for any insane reason (there's no good/sane/not evil reason for why they wouldn't pay him, likewise for why they wouldn't keep him), and after they just drove fan favorite Weddle out of town on a rail even though he wanted to stay, AND pissed off fans (about to vote in November on whether or not to keep them btw) by trying to leave for LA, Bosa's the opposite of wrong for distrusting the Chargers.

17 of their 28 first round draft picks since Spanos got the team have held out. At some point, you gotta think the disrespect isn't coming from the picks.

Actually they moved up to 85% up front, according to this article: http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/8/24/12630504/joey-bosa-holdout-san-diego-chargers-still-about-9-apart

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    There's no way that whatever amount of money this actually will translate into is worth the 3rd pick in the draft.

Unless what you fundamentally care about is money and not competitiveness.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    The money is locked in, there's no negotiating the money, and its below market value by design, because top 3-5 draft picks up to Sam Bradford's draft were getting huge deals and were unproven so the NFL got the PA to agree to a wage scale because the it allowed the current players to negotiate something else that they wanted because guys already playing don't give a fuck about kids who haven't played a down yet. But he would be getting the money even if they did cut him because its guaranteed.

The sticking point has been that the Chargers wanted to split his guaranteed money between this league year and the next, and he wants his guaranteed money now. They also want him to agree to what's called offset language. Without the offset language, the Chargers could have a situation where, if they were to cut him before the 4th year of his deal, he would be able to play for any other team in the NFL while still getting paid by the Chargers, too.

This is a good breakdown of the situation: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-diego-chargers-joey-bosa-contract-tweet-draft-re-enter-holdout-length-offset-salary-082416
    Here’s the crux of the Bosa-Chargers showdown:

-- Bosa is owed $25 million. That’s what No. 3 overall picks get paid. Bosa can’t negotiate for more, and the Chargers aren’t getting out of paying that much.

-- The Chargers want to include offset language in the contract. Offset language would allow the team to not pay Bosa in the fifth year of his contract, should he be cut before then. Without the offset language, the Chargers could be on the hook for paying Bosa while another team signs him to another deal.

-- The Chargers want to break up Bosa’s signing bonus, which is worth roughly $17 million of the $25 million Bosa is going to be paid by San Diego.

-- There has not been a No. 3 overall pick since the new CBA has been ratified whose contract included both offset language and a split signing bonus.

The Chargers are using public relations to leverage a rookie to take an unprecedented deal. They’re calling him out on social media for turning down “best offers” and then making passive-aggressive statements like “we’ll restructure our offer since Joey will be unable to contribute for the full 16-game season."

And you wonder why that organization has found it so difficult to get a new stadium in San Diego.

Goose! on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    there is no Phil Simms in Madden 17

I have to buy this Madden out of principal

This discussion has been closed.