As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goodbye to Gametrailers; Hello to Easy Allies!

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited March 2016 in Games and Technology
So Gametrailers just made this tweet.

Apparently Viacom sold Gametrailers to Defy at some point, and I guess Defy has decided to drop them like a bad habit. YouTube is probably to blame for this, as you really don't need a dedicated place for trailers when even indie devs can have a YouTube channel. And high-profile trailer reveals on Twitch likely didn't help matters, taking away the potential for exclusives.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Seems pretty sad. Looks like it happened pretty abruptly for the people working there.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, if you check the main site there is absolutely zero news about it as if nothing happened.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Seems pretty sad. Looks like it happened pretty abruptly for the people working there.

That shit should be fucking illegal

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Kind of saw it coming when Defy picked them up and the updates to the site started to crawl. But I'm going to miss their video reviews.

Really hoping those folks land on their feet. There's some talent there that needs to be picked up.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Aww, pants and drat. I've been visiting GT on and off since '2003. :(

I hope the GT Time podcast continues in some form. Lots of people saying Patreon.

Mandatory Update was amazing.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    This sucks. I always enjoyed their reviews and it was one of the few sites I still visited with any frequency.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I loved alot of their content, the retrospectives and their invisible walls podcast thingy when it was good

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Oh right. We should probably get on downloading those retrospectives and such now if we want to keep them around.

Edit: or not. Looks like it's all still fucked up from the transition.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I found out about this because Screw attack posted their old intro reel. I hadn't really associated Screw Attack with Game Trailers, as I think the last time I ever did anything with GT was.. god, 2007 or 2008?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if you check the main site there is absolutely zero news about it as if nothing happened.

The site has been a mess for a while now, Defy Media's tech team completely fucked up the transition to the new site (and video player) and never bothered to fix it.

This is some really shitty news. I remember going to their site really frequently back in the day, because that's where almost all the big trailers would go up first. Youtube and Twitch killed that but I thought they'd done a great job over the last couple of years (basically since Satterfield left) of transitioning over to a personality based site. The Final Bosman, Huber Hype, GT Time, Mandatory Update and some of their other stuff (stream, retrospectives, etc) were all pretty fantastic shows that I feel should've been far more popular than they were, but sadly, they just didn't have the backing from Viacom or Defy to really take advantage of that.

Fingers crossed the crew manage to stick together and come up with a new website. E3 will be a lesser show this year without Kyle's chair standing or Huber's crying.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I question why they even bothered transitioning or even picking up GT if they planned to shitcan the whole thing so quickly.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The staff should try for a Patreon or something. Worked for Greg Miller (or seems to have?) and Jim Sterling. Might have to be a core group though, I doubt one fund source could cover them all.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Damn this sucks. Really liked a lot of the people who worked for GameTrailers. Also going to miss their reviews.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    That is horrible news. Gametrailers was a site I used to frequent alot. Their reviews were top notch and I used to watch the Wiicast and screw attack stuff there.

Hope everyone lands on their feet.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I wasn't a big consumer of game trailers, but holy hell it sucks all the dick that their entire world just was ripped out from under them without warning.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Never a huge user of GT, but damn the way it went down. Not sure who Defy is, but they seem like real assholes. There are right ways and wrong ways to go about things, and this was clearly the wrong way.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I question why they even bothered transitioning or even picking up GT if they planned to shitcan the whole thing so quickly.

Yeah, I don't know either. They bought it, gutted it (fired two thirds of the staff, stopped working with Keighley) and I guess they thought they'd retain the same viewership while a skeleton crew worked themselves to the bone. Seems like they had no clue what they were doing.
    The staff should try for a Patreon or something. Worked for Greg Miller (or seems to have?) and Jim Sterling. Might have to be a core group though, I doubt one fund source could cover them all.

Kinda Funny earn $75k a month between their two Patreon accounts. So yeah, I'd say it's worked out pretty well for them.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Their video reviews were tops. Well-edited and informative.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Damnit. I always tended to prefer their viewpoints when looking at reviews, and their quality was top notch.

Just...Damnit.

Edit: And who the hell pulls this kinda shit on a Monday?!?

Farangu on
  • Options
    Kinda Funny earn $75k a month between their two Patreon accounts. So yeah, I'd say it's worked out pretty well for them.

And that doesn't include their YouTube and Twitch monetization. Kinda Funny is doing just fine for themselves right now.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Did they jump on the eSports train? BTW, did they ever change the video player?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Never a huge user of GT, but damn the way it went down. Not sure who Defy is, but they seem like real assholes. There are right ways and wrong ways to go about things, and this was clearly the wrong way.

Defy is a shitty, shitty company. They also own The Escapist which rocketed down the shitter, bleeding talent and eventually welcoming the most unsavory elements of the gaming industry to their pages.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    That's a shame. Not a site I went to very often, but they put out a few good features that I remember watching.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not surprised. There have been plenty of signs since Defy picked them up that they weren't long for this world (broken site, layoffs), but it's still sad. They were my go-to source for game reviews, because even if I disagreed, they were always so good at getting all the info in there without bias that I could form my own decisions easily.

You'll be missed, GT.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    What an incredibly shitty thing to do to these poor people. It sucks that they can get away with this.
    Opty wrote: »

Defy is a shitty, shitty company. They also own The Escapist which rocketed down the shitter, bleeding talent and eventually welcoming the most unsavory elements of the gaming industry to their pages.

The Escapist is held together at this point with silly string and putty, which will instantly fall apart if their only draw left in Yahtzee ever decides to leave.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Surprised Yahtzee hasn't left. That guy could create a Twitch/YouTube empire of his own pretty quickly if he wanted to pump out the content. I'd watch him stream random games.

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    This is actually a damn shame. The quality of Gametrailers grew and always had good reviews. The Final Bosman was amazing stuff.

Something a bit suss about this all though. There is a tactic that lots of companies do; buy out rivals just to shut them down and this happening so soon comes off so soon after the buyout is sketchy as fuck.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    kinda hoping they can get their heads together and make their own shit like Giant Bomb did in a way.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have followed GT on and off pretty much since they started, I still remember watching trailers from their site during I.T class at school. The last year or so they have produced some of their best content backed by extremely talented people, Brandon Jones, Ben Moore, Michael Huber, Kyle Bosman, Ian Hinck and Elyse Willems, I hope they all find new work fast.

The patreon idea would be great, I'd love it if some of them still worked together In some way.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Aw, that sucks. I always liked Brandon Jones' work on the reviews, even if I pretty much stopped visiting GT a few years ago.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Well fuck. I only became aware of them at last year's E3 coverage, and found them to be incredibly informative and a joy to watch, and was just starting to browse more of their content & twitch streams.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    I loved watching their stuff, particularly Final Bosman, Mandatory Update, and Huber Hype, and they always did great reviews. I hope these guys can bounce back quickly with something new. They'd been reduced to core staff in the last few months and hopefully they can start a Patreon or something together under another banner.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Gametrailers is the one review site where I agreed with their views more often than not, so it's sad to lose that source of information.

Surprised Yahtzee hasn't left. That guy could create a Twitch/YouTube empire of his own pretty quickly if he wanted to pump out the content. I'd watch him stream random games.

He's not streaming, but he does play random games on his Youtube channel with his friend, including games he made. It's just one video per week, though.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Their retrospectives were fantastic, and once upon a time, when I thought E3 coverage, I thought Gametrailers. I haven't been a big viewer lately (especially after Keighly stopped producing content for them) but still a bummer they got dropped with so little warning.

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    Just finished watching their last stream

Gametrailers Final Stream - Back to Liberty City

The last 10-15 minutes were hard. Holy shit.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

He does play random games on youtube.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    It's been a long time since I've been round GameTrailers' way, but those guys saw me through the early years of the last generation. Particularly around E3 time when they'd always have the conferences and, well, trailers that came up.

I guess Funhaus are about to have to take on a tonne of interns.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    The last 10-15 minutes were hard. Holy shit.

Yeah... that was a real painful moment in particular there, when he looked up at the camera and said he'd never been unemployed before in his life. You could see he was scared.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VirtualVoltVirtualVolt Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    damn. the slow hemorrhaging of all traditional games media has really got me worried. whenever a story like this breaks, my first thought is "God that sucks for whoever frequents the site, and it's contributors" and my second thought is "Who's next?" It seems like only a matter of time until all the sites that we know and love will shutter their doors. Hopefully not Penny Arcade...

VirtualVolt on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

They probably give him a shit-ton of money, since he is the only reason the site even exists.

broken image link