As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Game Thread where we discuss genre name semantics

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
This is Rogue, a cult classic turn-based RPG set in a procedurally generated dungeon.

Rogue_Screen_Shot_CAR.PNG

Rogue has inspired a whole genre of imitators, which are often known for simple ASCII text characters being used as graphics, procedurally generated dungeons that are different every time you play the game, and often notorious difficulty arising from an inability to save any progress in the event of a game over. Some of the more famous examples of these Rogue-like indie games include Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, NetHack, and approximately half of Dwarf Fortress (the other, more famous half is more of a Sim Ant style god game). Also lots of others I don't know as well so you should probably post them yourself, dear reader.

More recently roguelikes have themselves been inspiring a new generation of indie games, with real graphics, and Steam store pages. This new generation often incorporates the most fun elements like highly replayable procedurally generated levels into other types of gameplay than "turn-based RPG," while ditching or moderating the more hard-to-sell traditional elements such as permadeath and ugly text graphics. So then a dilemma arises: what do we call this new breed of games with elements from roguelikes? Do we expand the scope of the old term to include these new games, or derive a new term for them such as roguelikelikes or roguelike-inspired? THE DEBATE IS ON.
The correct answer is roguelikelikes.

BahamutZERO.gif

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Is Mayonnaise a roguelike

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Is Mayonnaise a instrument
    No, Patrick.

Mayonnaise is not an instrument.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    that was the joke he was making, yes

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Humour is subjective.

• Options
    So how about those traditional roguelikes!
    They're pretty hard!
    I've played something approaching 1000 games of dungeon crawl stone soup and I have yet to win the game once, I think I am just bad at them actually.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I am a big fan of roguelikes on my phone.

I think the do a quick run, win or lose, nature of them make them perfect for a phone.

I like Hoplite and 868-Hack. Do folks like any others?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    I think Castle of the Winds is the first roguelike I ever played and also only roguelike I've actually won.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I have a lot of fondness for Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Nina, even though I never beat it.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    In the end, aren't we all just playing the roguelike of life?

• Options
    Wikipedia's list of roguelikes page is informing me that toejam and earl was possibly the first roguelikelike. I've never played toejam and earl.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    My first roguelike was

Well, technically it was Shiren the Wanderer for DS but I thought that game was dogshit

Then I played Fatal Labyrinth on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and it was pretty enjoyable

Then I played Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon and it was really good!

Then I played uh...Spelunky, which I think is terrible, and Rogue Legacy, which is awesome, and apparently they are roguelikes or not, depending on who you ask

My exposure to roguelikes is kinda small but so far I'd say I'm pretty warm to the genre

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    My mother played a shit-ton of Rogue back on our first PC.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    my first roguelike was pokemon mystery dungeon for the DS

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    My first Roguelikelikelikelike was Nethack.

broken image link
  • Options
    don't let the roguelikelikes grab you or they'll eat your shield

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I can't wait to play the hot new roguelike that comes out tomorrow, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4

• Options
    Wikipedia's list of roguelikes page is informing me that toejam and earl was possibly the first roguelikelike. I've never played toejam and earl.

that's an accurate description

it actually had an innovative dynamic split screen system for co-op play, too

then in the second game it switched to a 2d platformer

and then in the third it switched to being a bad game

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    My first Roguelikelikelikelike was Nethack.

yesssssssssss

I had a teacher introduce me to that game.

She was a pretty damn cool teacher.

Nethack is one of those games where the devs, over the course of the game's decades-long-lifetime, have thought of virtually everything you can possibly think of to do with any item or combination of items.

It can be really fun if you don't mind the ASCII interface. And dying. A lot. Like, all of the deaths.

My favorite modern roguelikelike, Spelunky, is probably the hardest game I own It probably took me like 2,000 deaths to kill King Yama, but I'll be damned if I didn't beat that fucking game. Eventually. After many tears.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So uh

http://kotaku.com/amazon-releases-its-own-game-engine-for-free-1757995787

Amazon just put out its own game engine, based on Crytek's, that is entirely free to download, use and make profits from. The only fees are if the game uses the engine's tools to use Amazon Web Services for multiplayer/online features.

That seems

Pretty huge

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Is Russian Roulette a roguelike?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    There's no way I won't have brand new indie darling roguelike Firewatch spoiled to hell and back before I get to play it, is there.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Is Minecraft's hardcore mode a roguelike? Is it even a roguelite?

Also I think Dungeons of Dredmor is a pretty cool roguelike.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Someone needs to religiously check PSN for me so I know when I can buy Firewatch

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Is Hexcells:Infinite a Rougelike?
    It doesn't have a fail state, but it is procedurely generated and doesn't have progress between runs.
    Is it a Roguelike if I throw my computer out the window each time I make a mistake?

discrider on
  • Options
    And what about that new Doom-clone coming out, Doom.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yes, I would like to hear how the new game Doom, based on the hit film 'Doom', turns out to be.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm skeptical, they didn't even get the Rock

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Jeez, Unravel is a pretty game.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »

Pretty what?
    Good?
    Enjoyable?
    Roguelike?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Yes, I would like to hear how the new game Doom, based on the hit film 'Doom', turns out to be.

I snorted so loudly I woke my wife up in the other room.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

Pretty what?
    Good?
    Enjoyable?
    Roguelike?

Pretty game.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

I can't see anything about Unravel now without thinking of how hilariously awful that Kill Screen article @ThatDudeOverThere linked on Twitter is. Or at least I think it was tdot.

(Ps TDOT you're good at Twitter)

rhylith on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    don't let the roguelikelikes grab you or they'll eat your shield

daxgs79do6c8.jpg

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I hate Like-Likes so goddamned much

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »

I can't see anything about Unravel now without thinking of how hilariously awful that Kill Screen article ThatDudeOverThere linked on Twitter is. Or at least I think it was tdot.

it was! and thank you!

I'd never heard of kill screen before last night, but between that article and this one, I'm ready to dismiss it altogether

• Options

I can't see anything about Unravel now without thinking of how hilariously awful that Kill Screen article @ThatDudeOverThere linked on Twitter is. Or at least I think it was tdot.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I can't see anything about Unravel now without thinking of how hilariously awful that Kill Screen article ThatDudeOverThere linked on Twitter is. Or at least I think it was tdot.

it was! and thank you!

I'd never heard of kill screen before last night, but between that article and this one, I'm ready to dismiss it altogether

I believe Kill Screen started a Kickstarter to start producing a print version?

And then a bunch of writers came out to talk about how they freelanced for Kill Screen and they never paid them

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Yeah Kill Screen has fallen out of favor rather quickly with the games criteria community

• Options
    I'm REALLY good at photoshop

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

it was! and thank you!

I believe Kill Screen started a Kickstarter to start producing a print version?

And then a bunch of writers came out to talk about how they freelanced for Kill Screen and they never paid them

Wooooow fuck that. I kinda wish I had just typed the headline now.

This discussion has been closed.