As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Out of interest has anyone tried Splatoon in handheld mode yet? Might give it a go in the final test fire. Bit worried that I might have to use stick aiming for it to be practical. (And for me not to look like a crazy person if I ever play it in public)

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It turns out I'm actually pretty good at Splatoon, I think.

zcRPKzL.jpg
    vPkfl1g.jpg
    dzKGqdv.jpg

This image encapsulates the evening I had pretty well:

AuPUaMO.jpg

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    oiPgRPTl.jpg
    I would have rather he not thrown but I appreciate the commitment to the bit

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I had some good rounds and some bad ones but I really enjoyed the testfire.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Out of interest has anyone tried Splatoon in handheld mode yet? Might give it a go in the final test fire. Bit worried that I might have to use stick aiming for it to be practical. (And for me not to look like a crazy person if I ever play it in public)

Played 3 test fires in handheld mode and played great.

I mean, it ran good. I pretty much sucked but still...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Played the testfire entirely in handheld mode using motion controls, it's my first time playing splatoon, and my posted scores speak for themselves. It controls amazing and doesn't look weird. Just make sure you turn the sensitivity waaay up. I was getting trounced until I set it to -3. When I set it to -4 I started going 12-0, 10-0 etc.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Last night I was dominating but tonight not so much. My reflexes were off and I just wasn't feeling it. Off night. Also about 3/4 of the way through started having connection problems so gave up. Oh well, goodbye Test Fire! I knew ye somewhat well.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I was able to play in each of half of the 4th (US afternoon) and 5th (US evening) testfire sessions today. Used the Splattershot and Splat Duelies about half the time each, and played with the Joy-Con Grip. Having played a year's worth of Splatoon 1 and gotten (barely) up to A+ rank, Splatoon 2 feels natural, like coming home. X/B retraining aside, I didn't have any problem getting back into things. I did fairly well, winning most of my matches or at least topping the team's area covered, but that's probably because I was able to exploit the lack of game sense carried by new Turf War players.

Still, I experienced quite a few disconnects, especially in the afternoon session. And some of my matches definitely had other connection issues, where I ambushed another player but didn't get a kill registered even after loads of hits. Not something I'm really worried about, however. I'll look forward to the game's release this summer.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I was able to play in each of half of the 4th (US afternoon) and 5th (US evening) testfire sessions today. Used the Splattershot and Splat Duelies about half the time each, and played with the Joy-Con Grip. Having played a year's worth of Splatoon 1 and gotten (barely) up to A+ rank, Splatoon 2 feels natural, like coming home. X/B retraining aside, I didn't have any problem getting back into things. I did fairly well, winning most of my matches or at least topping the team's area covered, but that's probably because I was able to exploit the lack of game sense carried by new Turf War players.

Still, I experienced quite a few disconnects, especially in the afternoon session. And some of my matches definitely had other connection issues, where I ambushed another player but didn't get a kill registered even after loads of hits. Not something I'm really worried about, however. I'll look forward to the game's release this summer.

Had the same thing happen re: hitting people a ton and them not dying. The weird thing is no other lag was noticed, just that.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Splatdown (The paint roller ultimate where you jump up then land with an aoe paint attack) can be used mid super jump to make the blast activate when you land. That ability just got 300% more awesome.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Played the final hour in handheld mode. It worked really, really well.

I also tried out the charger and roller once - I did better with them than expected, but I'm still a shooter guy. Played the rest of the time with the Splat Dualies and I've definitely gotten a feel already for the size of its ink tank and made better use of the curling bombs. Still need to figure out the best time to use the special and definitely need to get a better hang of rolling.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Splat dualies are my jam:
    g1W2afG.jpg
    Ls5zQiI.jpg
    TKDsSHW.jpg
    hb7SfzQ.jpg
    dfz1L8W.jpg

Not bad for a noob.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Big fan of them dualies!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      LindLind Registered User regular
      Wifi is bad where I got my tv so I played mostly handheld or tabletop mode. But got to finaly try it out on the big screen so to speak in the final hour. So much better when you can actually see stuff :)

Not that its bad in handheld or anything but i much prefer my TV. Now to get some USB Lan adapter or something.

• Options
      Did anyone figure out a faster way to super jump than THREE BUTTON PRESSES?!?

• Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      Mblackwell wrote: »
      Did anyone figure out a faster way to super jump than THREE BUTTON PRESSES?!?

I can press those 3 buttons faster than I can awkwardly stretch my thumb over to a touch screen. I don't miss the old method at all.

• Options
      Then don't stretch your thumb? Just tap with your finger. Either way less awkward than alternating button pushes.

Not sure why they don't allow you to just press the D-Pad when the map is up, or hold A and press the D-Pad to jump without the map.

• Options
      Tapping with your finger would take way longer than stretching your thumb over though

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    • Options
      Then don't stretch your thumb? Just tap with your finger. Either way less awkward than alternating button pushes.

Not sure why they don't allow you to just press the D-Pad when the map is up, or hold A and press the D-Pad to jump without the map.

So your solution is to take one of my hands off the controls completely? How is that better?

• Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Couldn't you only super jump from spawn? If so, it doesn't matter how you're holding the controller.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      MNC Dover wrote: »
      Couldn't you only super jump from spawn? If so, it doesn't matter how you're holding the controller.

Nope, you can super jump any time. Not always safe though.

• Options
      One of the two examples they gave in the lobby is that the down arrow is always mapped to jump back to spawn

CD World Tour status:
    • Options
      Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
      Splatdown (The paint roller ultimate where you jump up then land with an aoe paint attack) can be used mid super jump to make the blast activate when you land. That ability just got 300% more awesome.

Yikes. That combined with Stealth Jump would quickly become OP in ranked.

• Options
      edited March 2017
      Dirty wrote: »

So your solution is to take one of my hands off the controls completely? How is that better?

Because if you're using that hand to do a bizarre three button combo sequence that hand is useless for general gameplay anyway, and it's less cumbersome than the aforementioned sequence which literally requires you to use both hands instead. The current setup on Wii U allows me to continue moving and dodging for cover while selecting where to jump.

Mblackwell on

• Options
      Mr Khan wrote: »

Yikes. That combined with Stealth Jump would quickly become OP in ranked.

Not sure it'll be op. It's a high risk move since you need to jump into combat. Also part of the reason why it worked so well in the testfire was people could see where I'd land and assume it was a free kill. People will learn better with time.

• Options
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Big fan of them dualies!

I was very bad with the Dualies.

Very Very Bad.

• Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      For people new to this game, know that there will be a ton of different weapons in the final game, and probably more introduced in free content updates.

Sloshers and Splatlings:

XbwNHc6.png

Just a freakin' bucket full of ink, and gatling guns.

Two kinds of brushes, thin and thick:

43KSnWt.png
      YPHaN0D.png

These essentially played like rollers, but were different enough to be minor gamechangers. The thin brush at least is a very thin line of ink but REALLY fast and the in-your-face melee swish was a killer.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      Entaru wrote: »
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Big fan of them dualies!

I was very bad with the Dualies.

Very Very Bad.

Every time I picked dualies someone on my team dropped

CD World Tour status:
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      Other than the dodge roll, the Dualies are essentially pretty normal shooters, so I found them pretty easy to get used to.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • Options
      Maz- wrote: »
      Other than the dodge roll, the Dualies are essentially pretty normal shooters, so I found them pretty easy to get used to.

For some reason I performed much better with the standard shooter.

Of course 1 hour is not enough to know, long term, anything about what I would and would not be good at.

• Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      Bukkit is life, bukkit is civilization. They're basically shotguns, flank someone and give them a face-full of bukkit buckshot.

It was confirmed on the Japanese twitter that the Octobrush and Ranged Blaster was making a come-back for Splat the Second as well.

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
      Looks like the .52 Gal and maybe the Nozzlenose as well.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    • Options
      Pretty sure the devs said in interviews that every previous weapon will return, but potentially with changes.

• Options
      edited March 2017
      Oh man I forgot about the blasters.

I hate those. They feel so ineffectual.

pop pop pop

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      Blasters definitely always took some getting used to, and were probably better at objective maps like ICREAM and Splat Zones. They never were really great at actually inking up the place, but if you need to hold ground or restrict movement or just murder peeps, they're a great tool to have.

The big thing is learning to feel out where the maximum range for the shots go, since you want to have it detonate in the air above the ground around your target (if you don't hit them directly with it). If the blasts hit the ground without popping, they don't explode and so are incredibly disappointing.

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      edited March 2017
      The testfire has me fiendin for more Splatoon, sucks that we have to wait until summer. I so regret selling my Wii U now.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Looks like some changes were made to The Reef between the Switch event a couple months ago and the Test Fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScF1loTnjB4

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      edited March 2017

I did notice myself getting splatted more often unexpectedly. Honestly. I did still have fun but there was a number of times it happened where someone wasn't really near me.

Edit: Another thought I had, that I hate about the new maps (particularly The Reef) is that there are very few available inkable walls. It forces you to stay on the ground quite a bit, and go around areas instead of through. It's a pretty significant gameplay style change that felt a bit frustrating.

Mblackwell on

• Options
      I did notice myself getting splatted more often unexpectedly. Honestly. I did still have fun but there was a number of times it happened where someone wasn't really near me.

I don't think that's how it works. We're still talking fractions of a second here, it's not like someone shot at your location 2 seconds ago and you die randomly. It's more a smoothness issue.

• Options
      edited March 2017
      Er, it's updating at 12fps. And yes I've played enough Splatoon (and other online shooters) that I can tell when my death is/was "off".

Mblackwell on