As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Come For Advice, Stay For the Coil Whine.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    What's a reasonable monitor to pair with a 1070? I looked for a site that has recent picks, and came up with this site. So maybe entry-level 1440p fits my profile? I'm not a twitch gamer at all, and am building this PC mostly for VR. Their recommendation is the Acer G257HU -- reasonable? It's $260 at Amazon, which is about half what I'd mentally budgeted.

That monitor doesn't have G sync, which is... important? It reduces screen tearing, which I've never personally witnessed (1070 scheduled to arrive tomorrow despite sitting at Fedex for the last 24 hours) but apparently is a bad thing. The price premium I've seen for G sync monitors is around $200 extra.

I'm not sure it's worth buying a high refresh rate 1440p monitor without GSync/Freesync, so that's an important point to consider.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    MSI 1070 and a sweet 1440P monitor are now on their way!

Please let me know what sort of frame rate hit you get jumping resolutions - I have a 1070, and as much as I'm loving the framerate boost, there is a 37" 1440p monitor that has been calling my name since I saw it...

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Please let me know what sort of frame rate hit you get jumping resolutions - I have a 1070, and as much as I'm loving the framerate boost, there is a 37" 1440p monitor that has been calling my name since I saw it...

Never mind - in my sleep deprived state, I got my numbers mixed up and just remembered I have a 970. :x

Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't get the monitor anyway ?

Would the monitor play a game in 1080p if I needed to reduce the resolution to keep the framerate up ?

I'm drooling at the thought of Civ 6 in 1440, as well as games like Fallout 4, even if it means the framerate dropping back down to 30 or so.

This would be until I get a 1070 post-Christmas.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Never mind - in my sleep deprived state, I got my numbers mixed up and just remembered I have a 970. :x

Would the monitor play a game in 1080p if I needed to reduce the resolution to keep the framerate up ?

I'm drooling at the thought of Civ 6 in 1440, as well as games like Fallout 4, even if it means the framerate dropping back down to 30 or so.

970 should be able to handle 1440p@60hz. Should stay steady at 60fps for most games.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

I'll do what I can. Monitor doesn't come for another 2 days and vid card comes tonight, so I should be able to baseline today/tomorrow. Any specific games you're interested in checking?

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    What's a reasonable monitor to pair with a 1070? I looked for a site that has recent picks, and came up with this site. So maybe entry-level 1440p fits my profile? I'm not a twitch gamer at all, and am building this PC mostly for VR. Their recommendation is the Acer G257HU -- reasonable? It's $260 at Amazon, which is about half what I'd mentally budgeted.

If it's mostly for VR then don't spend the extra money on gsync. That monitor will do you well.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    The monitor I ordered was the 25 inch G257HU, so I'll let you know how it does with a 1070. I mostly play strategy games as well, so 144hz etc. wasn't a huge priority initially.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So I have a question
    for some reason my diablo 3 mouse for the last month would just turn itself off and then 75% come back after 10 to 20 seconds
    But it's been doing it ever so more lately a few times it took the keyboard with it
    I have no idea why other than I just feel it's time to replace it
    What would be a good mouse to get? I am just looking for wired since I have had bad experiences with wireless

And why is my current mouse doing that?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If it's a wired mouse that keeps shutting off, then yeah, unless it's just not seated properly ( or the port itself is bad for some reason) then it likely needs replacing.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So I have a question
    for some reason my diablo 3 mouse for the last month would just turn itself off and then 75% come back after 10 to 20 seconds
    But it's been doing it ever so more lately a few times it took the keyboard with it
    I have no idea why other than I just feel it's time to replace it
    What would be a good mouse to get? I am just looking for wired since I have had bad experiences with wireless

And why is my current mouse doing that?

Amazon has a sale on the Logitech G402 today
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LZVNWIA/

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I'll do what I can. Monitor doesn't come for another 2 days and vid card comes tonight, so I should be able to baseline today/tomorrow. Any specific games you're interested in checking?

Have you got Civ 5 ? I'd love to see how much of the map you see in 1440p...

In terms of framerate, how about Fallout 4 ?

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I am looking at giving my computer a slight facelift. Nothing fancy. I've had it for 4ish years and the only thing I've replaced is the hard drive (and upgrading to windows 10).

My Puter:
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.160223-1728)
    MOBO: Z68XP-UD3
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
    HDD: Seagate 2TB SSHD
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W
    Case: Sentey Arvina
    I was thinking of replacing the graphics card for something in the $200 range. Would any of Nvidias 900 cards work with my computer? Should I also look into getting a new processor or has there not been a significant enough improvement in that area?

*edit* Like would this one work for my computer, ZOTAC GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5? Or should I look for something even better?

Siska on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    For around $200 i'd get a radeon rx 480. Its going to be the best card at that price point.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    For around $200 i'd get a radeon rx 480. Its going to be the best card at that price point.

I'm pretty anti-AMD/ATI, but this is a true statement.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aaaaand now (almost) all the other video card manufacturers are following ASUS's lead. Every Geforce GTX 1080 (except for those made by EVGA) is now $50 more expensive (and evenly priced with the FE cards) than it was 48-hours ago.

Suddenly, a 1070 is looking better.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It's looking like I'm going to put off buying a new card until well after August at this rate. The only PC game I'm playing right now is Overwatch which my 7970 is handling completely fine at near max settings and 60+ FPS, and the only benefit the new cards offer me will be lower noise. As much as I'd like a 1080 the 1070 is looking to be a vastly better value overall once the prices stabilize at realistic prices.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Robes wrote: »

970 should be able to handle 1440p@60hz. Should stay steady at 60fps for most games.

Depends on the game and what other options you have on, really.

If youre gonna 1440p, a 980 would be a safer choice.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Cormac wrote: »
    It's looking like I'm going to put off buying a new card until well after August at this rate. The only PC game I'm playing right now is Overwatch which my 7970 is handling completely fine at near max settings and 60+ FPS, and the only benefit the new cards offer me will be lower noise. As much as I'd like a 1080 the 1070 is looking to be a vastly better value overall once the prices stabilize at realistic prices.

What are the prices for the 1070 supposed to be? I'm seeing an MSI, non-FE, that's in-stock at Newegg for $460...

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I placed a backorder at NewEgg a few hours ago for the EVGA 1070 (6173) for $440, and I just got an email that it's stock and will ship.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

What are the prices for the 1070 supposed to be? I'm seeing an MSI, non-FE, that's in-stock at Newegg for $460...

The MSRP for FE's is $449 and non-FE's are supposed to start at $379 and go up to depending on what Asus/MSI/EVGA/* want to price them at. In an ideal world they should all cost less than FE's, but I expected most with custom coolers to be in the $400-450 range. Right now everything seems to be $50 more than they should be due to supply and demand, but since I'm not desperate for a new card I can wait until the prices fall back down to sane levels. If that means September I'm fine with that. The longer I wait the longer I can save and come up with ways to justify the extra money for a 1080.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I think im gonna wait until the 1170s so I can get single card 4k.

I probably wont do that, but hey it sounds good right now.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

The MSRP for FE's is $449 and non-FE's are supposed to start at $379 and go up to depending on what Asus/MSI/EVGA/* want to price them at. In an ideal world they should all cost less than FE's, but I expected most with custom coolers to be in the $400-450 range. Right now everything seems to be $50 more than they should be due to supply and demand, but since I'm not desperate for a new card I can wait until the prices fall back down to sane levels. If that means September I'm fine with that. The longer I wait the longer I can save and come up with ways to justify the extra money for a 1080.

Ahh...okay. I had no frame of reference on what the price of the non-FE 1070s were supposed to be like. And since my 980 is running most things fairly well (I may not be able to run Ultra settings on everything, high looks pretty decent), I suppose I can hold my tech-lust at bay for a whiles longer.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Sometimes it feels like computers are psychic. This last week my current PC has given me a bunch of previously unseen errors, Firefox crashes, GPU driver crashes, etc. It's almost like it knows its replacement is sitting in the other room, waiting to take over as soon as I get my video card. Once I've got the new one in place and my important files transferred, it'll be time for a long-delayed wipe and clean reinstall.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Hey I got a free pc!

Monitor is really old, will probably need a new one.

The Processor is an amd athlon ii x4 630
    And I have 4 GB of ram (I'm guessing that I need to least double that)
    The gpu is a ati radeon hd 4200

I'm guessing I need to replace the processor and gpu as well?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    What's the motherboard? That's going to limit your upgrade options.

• Options
    It says HP p6654y, which googling takes me to a prebuild pc on HPs website.

I'm guessing I might have to open it up.

• Options
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

Would make a pretty good HTPC/light gaming machine. For anything more serious, you're better off building from scratch. There isn't really anything you can reuse or that is a path to a better CPU without a new motherboard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Looking at an upgrade with VR in mind. Excluding graphics card, how do people think this looks?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dBsycc

I can re-use current PSU and case. Planning on picking up a 1070 sometime after Xmas.

Or should I put the £400ish aside and wait till I can add the extra money for the 1070 and buy it all then? Only reason I'm thinking about doing it in two steps is so I can move the current i3 and upgrade the PC in the spare room that's currently a Core 2 Duo.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Would make a pretty good HTPC/light gaming machine. For anything more serious, you're better off building from scratch. There isn't really anything you can reuse or that is a path to a better CPU without a new motherboard.

My friend has some decent parts he's to being me for free.

Well, at the very least I got a free case?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Look what came in the mail today! (spoiler'd for huge)
    nmmtf8t1qai6.jpg

anqce8k3p0zz.jpg

My new computer is now complete!
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Looking at an upgrade with VR in mind. Excluding graphics card, how do people think this looks?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dBsycc

I can re-use current PSU and case. Planning on picking up a 1070 sometime after Xmas.

Or should I put the £400ish aside and wait till I can add the extra money for the 1070 and buy it all then? Only reason I'm thinking about doing it in two steps is so I can move the current i3 and upgrade the PC in the spare room that's currently a Core 2 Duo.

Well if you're not going to be building until after Christmas, you should know that the new Intel Kaby Lake processors will probably be out by that point. Might save some dough on a Sky Lake processor or pick up the new hotness if you wait to buy, though the motherboard will still be compatible (Sky Lake and Kaby Lake are the same chipset).

Terrendos on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Alright, I asked earlier but didn't see any replies, so I'll ask again.

My computer speakers seem to be acting up, after a decade-plus of faithful service. Anyone have recommendations for speakers that are both affordable and deliver good quality sound?

• Options
    Sorry, the ones I use aren't made any more, and I'm far from an audiophile so I hesitate to recommend anything like that.

• Options
    So, 1070 doesn't fit and now my comp doesn't boot after replacing the 560. Fuck it, I'll fix it another day. New case is on the way.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Hey I got a free pc!

Monitor is really old, will probably need a new one.

The Processor is an amd athlon ii x4 630
    And I have 4 GB of ram (I'm guessing that I need to least double that)
    The gpu is a ati radeon hd 4200

I'm guessing I need to replace the processor and gpu as well?

So that's a socket AM3 motherboard, since it's a Athlon II X4 with DDR3. Theoretically you should be able to go all the way up to a Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition, which is roughly on par with the 1st generation Intel Core i7 "Extreme" CPUs. However, those still go for like $160+ on eBay and that motherboard probably won't give you full performance from that CPU, since it's likely a bare-bones budget board.

The X4 630 is roughly equivalent to early Core i5/Core 2 Extreme CPUs which means it'll still be relatively useful for gaming, but is nowhere near modern performance CPUs.

That motherboard does have a PCI-e x16 slot, so you can mount any modern GPU, but I'm guessing that the PSU will need to be upgraded to give you the appropriate wattage and connectors.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Still waiting for the replacement watercooler, which should arrive after I sleep... but couldn't resist starting to put a few things together already. And couldn't resist documenting it...

That new mainboard smell...
    newrig01.jpg

This is allegedly "the world's fastest consumer SSD".
    newrig02.jpg

64 gigs of RAM. Enough to load the entirety of DOOM from a Ramdisk - though in my case it'll probably see more use for crunching large photogrammetry datasets, and VFX simulations in Houdini. The regular dev stuff I do doesn't quite need it yet, but why skimp there?
    newrig03.jpg

And I can't wait to take this bad boy for a little spin:
    newrig04.jpg

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    making me wish I bought more ram when I built this machine. Don't cap out on 16gb that often, but I've done it.

And I'm far too lazy to remove my NH-D14 to drop 2 more sticks in.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I only have 8 and have thought about throwing another 8 in there, but at this point I think I'll just hold out until I decide to build a new system. So sometime around Kaby Lake/1080ti is what I'm thinking.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I find it sad I only know what my video card is because of Overwatch
    An AMD Radeon HD 7800
    I know I will have to replace it sometime soon

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    making me wish I bought more ram when I built this machine. Don't cap out on 16gb that often, but I've done it.

And I'm far too lazy to remove my NH-D14 to drop 2 more sticks in.

My old machine has 32gb, because I capped out the 16gb I had before a few times, which was a proper pain. Haven't capped out the 32gb yet, but I'm trying to future-proof this machine a bit ;)

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
This discussion has been closed.