As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Come For Advice, Stay For the Coil Whine.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    the 1060 is $250 MSRP, the 960 launched at $200 MSRP
    The 1070 is $379 MSRP, the 970 launched at $300 MSRP
    The 1080 is $650 MSRP, the 980 launched at $550 MSRP

And this doesn't include the founders edition Tax.

The Titan X is $1200, the previous gen Titan X was $1000. I barely count it because it's not a mass market card, but the increase is there too.

I'm not sure how anyone can say that nVidida didn't increase prices for this round, even before you take supply shortages into account.

You're comparing a super lackluster generation to a hugely well regarded one. Each of these cards punches well above its weight and is more directly comparable to the prior gen card one or two steps up in the hierarchy. Additionally, only the 9XX series was priced this low (again, mostly because it was a lackluster update over the 7XX series), so this is much more a regression to the mean, and you're still getting a much better deal for your money than the 9XX series offered.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Inflation I suppose?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I just better be able to find a RX 480 for $240 by Christmas!

The 4GB (which is actually 8GB) RX 480 for $200 is such a stupid good deal. As much as I shy away from the very idea of reference cards I would have grabbed one of those in a heartbeat if I could have gotten my grubby little hands on one. $240 is still a really good deal, but being $10 away from a 1060 makes the decision significantly less cut and dry. Normally I could just wait and see how the aftermarket 480s stack up with the 1060s but my 280x is dying so I'm sort of under an invisible time limit.

I'm just afraid that my choice is basically going to be "1060 for DX11/OpenGL or 480 for DX12/Vulkan" and then we're back in the 90s again when we had the OpenGL/3DFX divide and you had to look at what games you were playing and what they supported before buying a GPU.

I'm kinda worried that Nvidia is going to just stomp async compute and Vulkan into the ground under the heavy boot they call Gameworks and we'll be looking at tesselationgate 2.0 over the next couple of years.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    twmjr wrote: »

It's a TN panel and the A01 version had bad issues. Seems to have been fixed in A02 version. I think the main reason this is half the price of a Acer Predator or ROG Swift is that it's a TN panel vice IPS.

Assuming you don't mind TN panels and you can get a A02 or A03 (maybe BB will let you open the box in the store if you do in-store pickup?), it's a pretty good price.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

The 4GB (which is actually 8GB) RX 480 for $200 is such a stupid good deal. As much as I shy away from the very idea of reference cards I would have grabbed one of those in a heartbeat if I could have gotten my grubby little hands on one. $240 is still a really good deal, but being $10 away from a 1060 makes the decision significantly less cut and dry. Normally I could just wait and see how the aftermarket 480s stack up with the 1060s but my 280x is dying so I'm sort of under an invisible time limit.

I'm just afraid that my choice is basically going to be "1060 for DX11/OpenGL or 480 for DX12/Vulkan" and then we're back in the 90s again when we had the OpenGL/3DFX divide and you had to look at what games you were playing and what they supported before buying a GPU.

I'm kinda worried that Nvidia is going to just stomp async compute and Vulkan into the ground under the heavy boot they call Gameworks and we'll be looking at tesselationgate 2.0 over the next couple of years.

Nvidia crushing aysnc before it gets a fair go would be terrible, but sadly plausible.

On the upside, there's been a few high profile instances of devs gushing about it* so I think things are safe for now.

*(eg one of the head DICE fellas said a while back that if he could make the base system requirements for this year's autumn release DX12 he'd do it in a heartbeat, but it's not feasible yet )

I might have put in an order for a Sapphire Nitro RX480 so we'll see when that turns up, kind of excited to get a fresh video tech, everything else I've had has been a re-working of an older chip so getting in on the ground floor is new territory for me.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Actually 8 you say? Have a link or want to explain that? I don't need 8 at all, but I'll probably get it anyway and first I've heard 4 is actually 8. Cheaper is better if that's true.

• Options
    Actually 8 you say? Have a link or want to explain that? I don't need 8 at all, but I'll probably get it anyway and first I've heard 4 is actually 8. Cheaper is better if that's true.

The first release of 4GB reference 480s were just 8GB cards with half of the VRAM locked by the BIOS. You can reflash the BIOS from an 8GB 480 to get access to the extra 4GB of VRAM.

I'm not sure if they changed that/done a new revision or not yet, but it's the other reason (outside of price) why the 4GB cards have been selling out so quickly.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ah, binning, right. Don't think I'd trust that myself, but worth a shot if you're so inclined.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    It's entirely possible that those cards had half the vram locked out because it was faulty.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

The first release of 4GB reference 480s were just 8GB cards with half of the VRAM locked by the BIOS. You can reflash the BIOS from an 8GB 480 to get access to the extra 4GB of VRAM.

I'm not sure if they changed that/done a new revision or not yet, but it's the other reason (outside of price) why the 4GB cards have been selling out so quickly.

I feel like that cannot last. It'd be nice if it did, but it cannot.

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    bowen wrote: »
    twmjr wrote: »
    Did this get posted yet? Titan X details

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10510/nvidia-announces-nvidia-titan-x-video-card-1200-available-august-2nd

All yours, for only $1,200! aka what I spent building my PC...

hm

nice and all

not sure if I would've paid $1200 for it

$900 for sure though

Yow, didn't think they'd release the titan that fast. Wonder how far out the ti is.

edit: typo

ICUb on

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Synthesis wrote: »

You'd be surprised.

minor incident on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    It's entirely possible that those cards had half the vram locked out because it was faulty.

Well, that's half the idea behind binning in the first place. If your 8gb chip is faulty on half its memory there's no reason not to sell it as a 4GB.

• Options
    It's possible, but the 4GB boxes are just 8GB boxes with a 4GB sticker slapped on them, and supposedly when they were showing off the cards before release to people in the industry they were just using one card and switching BIOSes back and forth, so who knows.

Could be binning, could just be that it's cheaper to just build 8GB cards and adjust supply between 4GB and 8GB at retail as needed than setup two different manufacturing chains.

• Options
    Could be binning, could just be that it's cheaper to just build 8GB cards and adjust supply between 4GB and 8GB at retail as needed than setup two different manufacturing chains.

Odds are it's a good bit of both.

• Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Found this on the WCCFtech website, MSRP's have typically hovered around the $350 range, and we were spoiled with a $299 MSRP on the 970. Taking the current price gouging due to high demand / low volume out of the equation, I don't think the MSRP pricing has been out of whack, especially if you consider how long the price has been stagnant and not been increasing with inflation. Something had to break the cycle, and it was likely the ultra performance on the 10xx series cards that emboldened them to seek a higher price.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-official-msrp-299-nonreference-models-retail-329349/

The Titan series cards have always been $Texas, and will continue to shock and awe forevermore.

MSRP for the GTX 970 was $329, not $299 at launch.

WCCFtech is NOT a reliable site for gpu news. Even recently they reported Polaris would launch in April, that the RX480 would rival the Fury X at launch and could easily be overclocked to over 1.5ghz, and that the GTX 1060 would come with a 256bit memory bus. It's not surprising that they can't even correctly quote a launch price.

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    The Samsung 4K monitor I bought on eBay turned out, predictably enough, to be a bust--it was far from "like new" (scratches all over the bezel, some paint worn off on the stand, electrical tape over the LED light weirdly enough). Going to begin the eBay return process (since the seller marked it as no returns--my fault for going with the auction considering the seller posted no photographs either).

In the meantime, time to find a good new monitor on Amazon.com. I really want to test my GTX 1080 on something besides my living room television.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

don't underestimate the power of a single assembly line. way cheaper to differentiate the cards in software than have a separate line creating a separate card just for a few cents worth of video memory hardware per card.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

don't underestimate the power of a single assembly line. way cheaper to differentiate the cards in software than have a separate line creating a separate card just for a few cents worth of video memory hardware per card.

True. I imagine they'd be more vigilant about pushing back against the BIOS change, but I have no idea how that'd work.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The Samsung 4K monitor I bought on eBay turned out, predictably enough, to be a bust--it was far from "like new" (scratches all over the bezel, some paint worn off on the stand, electrical tape over the LED light weirdly enough). Going to begin the eBay return process (since the seller marked it as no returns--my fault for going with the auction considering the seller posted no photographs either).

In the meantime, time to find a good new monitor on Amazon.com. I really want to test my GTX 1080 on something besides my living room television.

You folks buy hardware used?

That seems like a spectacularly bad thing 95% of the time.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Us folks took "Like new" at its word. :?

Given that the penalties on eBay towards sellers are even hilariously disproportionate, it wasn't that big a gamble. More of an inconvenience. I went ahead and began the return process.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

True. I imagine they'd be more vigilant about pushing back against the BIOS change, but I have no idea how that'd work.

you underestimate how little they give a shit

they make no guarantees that the cards will be unlockable, and they don't lose anything if you get lucky and your 4GB turns out to have been just fine to bin for 8GB. In the mean time prices skyrocket for 4GB cards because people want to roll the dice.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

you underestimate how little they give a shit

they make no guarantees that the cards will be unlockable, and they don't lose anything if you get lucky and your 4GB turns out to have been just fine to bin for 8GB. In the mean time prices skyrocket for 4GB cards because people want to roll the dice.

IIRC they have said that if you fuck your card attempting a BIOS change then you are SOL when it comes to warranty coverage though. But yeah, they've not attempted to debunk the rumours (or facts in some cases). To be fair, most people who are going to be both A) on the pulse enough to know about it and B)Savvy/Crazy enough to attempt it are also those that are less likely to give a shit about warranties anyway, but still.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

My current rig, I bought the Mobo used. Everything else was new or got carried over.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

Funny you should say 95%, because these used Xeon E5-2670 CPUs I'm looking at are going for 95% less on ebay than they cost in retail.

At that point, who cares about warranty ;-)

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Kashaar wrote: »

Funny you should say 95%, because these used Xeon E5-2670 CPUs I'm looking at are going for 95% less on ebay than they cost in retail.

At that point, who cares about warranty ;-)

zero chance those are xeon parts, almost zero chance it isn't even an intel part.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Just saying, used isn't always bad!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Having the RX480 hit at $200 and the GTX 1060 hit at $250 is awesome for people who buy used stuff anyway, since once supply stabilizes on the new GPUs the secondhand price for R9 series AMD cards and 900 series Nvidia cards is going to drop like a rock.

Buying used AMD GPUs hasn't really been a super great idea over the past couple of years due to so many of them being ran at 100% power for months at a time in cryptocurrency mining rigs, but other than that there's nothing wrong with buying used hardware as long as you're ok with sacrificing a warranty for the reduction in price.

• Options
    PineappleLovePineappleLove Registered User regular
    Hey guys,

So almost home from deployment, going to be picking up one of these once I get home as a present to myself https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0173PEX20/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35DEC7JPVNP2J&coliid=IFRIEAR27ZFKH&psc=1

I feel like an idiot but is 3840 x 2160 16:9? I currently have a 21:9 Ultra Wide monitor but I'm getting sick of not every game supporting 21:9.

Also on that same note I have 980 SLI's.. at one point should I upgrade? The only card I think would be worth my while is a 1080 but been doing a lot of reading and it looks like 980 SLI and 1080s are about on par with eachother

Thanks guys

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Hey guys,

So almost home from deployment, going to be picking up one of these once I get home as a present to myself https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0173PEX20/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35DEC7JPVNP2J&coliid=IFRIEAR27ZFKH&psc=1

I feel like an idiot but is 3840 x 2160 16:9? I currently have a 21:9 Ultra Wide monitor but I'm getting sick of not every game supporting 21:9.

Also on that same note I have 980 SLI's.. at one point should I upgrade? The only card I think would be worth my while is a 1080 but been doing a lot of reading and it looks like 980 SLI and 1080s are about on par with eachother

Thanks guys

There is no reason to upgrade from SLI'd 980s yet, even for 4K. I'd imagine there will be an 1180 next year that would make more sense for you.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    krapst78 wrote: »
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Found this on the WCCFtech website, MSRP's have typically hovered around the $350 range, and we were spoiled with a $299 MSRP on the 970. Taking the current price gouging due to high demand / low volume out of the equation, I don't think the MSRP pricing has been out of whack, especially if you consider how long the price has been stagnant and not been increasing with inflation. Something had to break the cycle, and it was likely the ultra performance on the 10xx series cards that emboldened them to seek a higher price.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-official-msrp-299-nonreference-models-retail-329349/

The Titan series cards have always been $Texas, and will continue to shock and awe forevermore.

MSRP for the GTX 970 was $329, not $299 at launch.

WCCFtech is NOT a reliable site for gpu news. Even recently they reported Polaris would launch in April, that the RX480 would rival the Fury X at launch and could easily be overclocked to over 1.5ghz, and that the GTX 1060 would come with a 256bit memory bus. It's not surprising that they can't even correctly quote a launch price.

I'll admit I don't keep my ear that close to the ground with each individual news website, but I thought I could trust a website to at least list MSRP correctly. Evidently that was wrong, so I apologize. I only used it as an aggregate so I wouldn't be posting individual links.

I think my original point stands though.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I got my Noctua NF-A14s today. Amazingly very loud at 2000rpm, but went dead quiet when I switched them from DC to PWM. No bright red LEDs out the front anymore!

When I put in the final intake fan on the bottom of the case, I'll post final build pics.

• Options
    My Acer S277HK came in today. I have to say, I wish I went with this sooner and avoided eBay entirely. Unusual stand aside, it's a beauty of a IPS monitor.

I've mostly made the switch over to 4K. A few games I have lack UI scaling, but I have to say I'm really, really happy with it. Unsurprisingly, even with a GTX 1080 Skyrim still can't hit 60 FPS consistently in areas with lots of NPCs (then again, that's a CPU dependent game with an obscene number of graphical mods). I don't know if I'm ever getting into VR, but doubling your width and height resolution (and increasing your monitor from 23" to 27") makes an appreciable difference.

Once I get a proper 10 ft DIsplayport cable (my gaming case sits at the other side of the right-corner desk from my monitor), I'll be able to put it a proper distance from my eyes.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Hows general desktop usage? I've heard 4k isnt exactly the best for that kind of experience.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    Hows general desktop usage? I've heard 4k isnt exactly the best for that kind of experience.

Unless your objective is to go blind in 2 years, probably not without changing your settings.

Both Windows 8 and Windows 10 have some basic scaling functionality. That, combined with changing text, apps, etc. size to 200%, actually makes it completely usable. Normal "desktop" apps are more likely to have issue (for example, Photoshop CC was unusable--fortunately, it has a setting that doubles UI size elements), whereas Windows 10 apps always scale accordingly.

A lot of games simply don't have UI scaling, which is more problematic.

• Options
    yea apps have to be built with UI scaling in mind for it to work well. You see a lot of older apps look super fuzzy on a 4k screen with scaling on. And if you don't scale all the UI elements look like their about a quarter inch in size.

It honestly depends on what your day to day is. If most everything you use has good scaling, You'll probably fine. But if you spend 6 hours a day in an app that doesn't you're going to hate yourself.

• Options
    In my case I'm not doing anything like rendering, spreadsheets, or the like, so the objective is to recreate the 1080p sizes of various desktop elements on a bigger, denser screen (which is admittedly kind of wasteful on my part).

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »

A lot of programs are kind of wonky and bad at scaling, but most are getting better.

It's not awful anymore, but it's a step down, usability-wise from 1440p, which is basically perfect.

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    So this is a weird one.

The card I ordered is this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-gtx-1080-directcu-iii-oc-strix-gaming-aura-rgb-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-401-as.html
    Core Clock: 1784MHz
    £799

Got an email today:
    " We are emailing you today as we have had some information from ASUS Regarding the [Strix] that you have on pre-order with us.

They have informed us that there is still going to be a very short supply
    of cards for some time and they have sent to us a OC STRIX CARD with a
    more realistic clock speed than the card you currently have on order.

So If you are interested in changing over to this other card, please
    contact etc etc... however if you are still happy to wait that is not a problem."

The 'replacement' Strix is this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-gtx-1080-directcu-iii-strix-gaming-aura-rgb-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-409-as.html
    Core Clock: 1695MHz
    £799

They are still offering the G1 as another alternative: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-g1-gaming-rgb-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gv-n1080g1-gaming-8-gx-184-gi.html
    Core Clock: 1721MHz
    £679

I will actually only pay £619 whatever I get because that was the price at time of reservation, but what do you folks think I ought to do?

The ambiguity is whether the original Strix with its 1784 clock will now ever land. I'm tempted to go for the G1 after all but will I be short changing myself? If relevant, I am particularly interested in sound performance. I am confident these cards can run at max, but I want max and quiet, because I am a demanding bugger.

e: this nudges me to the G1... https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4n67p5/gigabyte_g1_gaming_gtx_1080_review_computerbasede/

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
This discussion has been closed.