As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Happy Rex Manning [chat]!

1899091929395»

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    what if you could press a button to hack all terrorist phones forever

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    They should just give dude his phone back and sit him in solitary until he can't resist checking Facebook, then snatch it back

aint he dead

aRkpc.gif
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ronya wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    imo whilst it's the case that "the Feds cannot crack an off-the-shelf device like a new iphone huehuehue" resonates amongst a certain crowd - largely the crowd we walk in - you have to be quite sheltered to think that it'd be popular beyond these circles, esp when the FBI is choosing to pick this fight over homegrown Islamists deciding to pew pew whatever

Yeah the choice of case with which to make an issue of it is not accidental.

That said, we've already moved beyond this stage, in terms of device security. New designs already make the assumption that is possible the manufacturer has been compromised so deliberately put breaking into the phone beyond their reach.

'tis always possible to legislate against such devices

mandatory backdoor legislation does not have to be universally effective; it merely needs to be good enough to keep them away from consumer devices

i'm not convinced such legislation would pass/be upheld given the current feelings towards surveillance

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    I swear the FBI is just being lazy.

Crack phone open.

Extract hard drive.

Copy the raw data.

Load a copy up in a VM and when it locks, load a new copy.

It's encrypted tho

Right, I'm just saying

if they haven't developed a comprehensive iphone vitrual machine and the ability to extract the raw data off of the drives and/or ROMs then it's their own damn fault.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Elldren wrote: »
    uuuuuugh

fuck video walkthroughs just give me text I want text where has all the writing gone ;-;

"HOW TO: do a simple thing"

*looks down at video length*

10:42 ?!

*clicks play*

"What's up everybody this is PlatformerJim569 bringing you another in my series of how to guides. Before we get into this: don't forget to click like and subscribe! Big shout to my sponsors at Xbox Controller Wraps dot com. Now as you know, in the year since this game was released,"

desc on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2016
    Think what you want of Snowden, his point is valid.

Swedish government bureaus already cannot use Gmail because security.

Echo on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    If we sacrifice a white, that should keep the new threads rising

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    They should just give dude his phone back and sit him in solitary until he can't resist checking Facebook, then snatch it back

aint he dead

yes

they are currently exploring using his fingerprint to unlock the device

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I was going to hang out with my former roommate who is visiting DC tonight but trains were apparently not leaving South Station and now he's driving and will probably never arrive because rush hour. Sad times.

...although I guess that gives me time to play League after work...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    "How to Fix X Problem in Windows 10"

*30 second ad*
    *45 second intro for some guy's shitty youtube channel*
    *one minute of captain lispy spitter fumbling through describing the problem*
    *30 seconds of filming his cat*
    *one minute of describing some irrelevant*

*Ludious punches the monitor and walks off*

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

aint he dead

look, i didn't go to cop school or nothin', but,

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    it's not a key though

A key to a locked door is essentially what they are asking for. They want the key to the filing cabinet and right now anyone can tell them to just fuck right off instead of giving them the key, and there's little they can do in response but fuck right off. They are essentially looking for a skeleton key to all filling cabinets so that no one can tell them to fuck right off anymore.

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 3.5

@Kana will create the new thread
    @Echo is backup

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    dkj9jkpt4amt.jpg

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    475067291_efQ2n-1050x10000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.