As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Year Is 3029. All The World Is Ruled By The McElroy [Podcast] Empire.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    On the other hand, I am ALL THE WAY READY FOR TRUCKS NOW.

You're truckin' goddamn right you are.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJUr9Nr3zLI
    RED TRUCK IS BETTER THAN BLUE TRUCK

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    chat is broken

finally, the ideal giant bomb livestream experience

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJUr9Nr3zLI
    RED TRUCK IS BETTER THAN BLUE TRUCK

That entire TNT was magical.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Part of the creep factor is that it always takes the form of the most serial killer-ish version of "human tactile contact" ever. At least when the recipient is human. Petting Pokémon and stuff is fine because petting pets does kinda work like that and it's not weird. You don't pet a loved one. Cuddling doesn't work like that. Except when it's a sex thing but this is an entire defense of it outside of the "it's a sex thing" argument.

sig.gif
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I didn't even like the song that much, but Shazam proved utterly useless in identifying that techno-y bit.

Chat seems fine for me.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    pooka wrote: »
    I didn't even like the song that much, but Shazam proved utterly useless in identifying that techno-y bit.

Chat seems fine for me.

None of their songs are gonna be Shazam-able, they're all from a royalty-free library

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    You don't pet a loved one.

I know several people who would disagree

• Options
    Maybe it's just an uncanny valley thing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WE TRUCKIN'

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I never realized that rileigh looks so mad and sydnee looks so smug on their pod art

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Part of the creep factor is that it always takes the form of the most serial killer-ish version of "human tactile contact" ever. At least when the recipient is human. Petting Pokémon and stuff is fine because petting pets does kinda work like that and it's not weird. You don't pet a loved one. Cuddling doesn't work like that. Except when it's a sex thing but this is an entire defense of it outside of the "it's a sex thing" argument.

I agree with you about the whole creep factor thing, but to some degree, non-sexual petting can absolutely be a thing. Stroking hair, rubbing back/shoulders/feet/etc.

I mean, that's what I hear anyway.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Vinny finally has his racing wheel.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    I never realized that rileigh looks so mad and sydnee looks so smug on their pod art

I love their album art. There's a lot of great expression in those faces/posture. I believe their other sister drew it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    alex looks genuinely happy in a way that I don't think I've ever seen on gb before

• Options

I agree with you about the whole creep factor thing, but to some degree, non-sexual petting can absolutely be a thing. Stroking hair, rubbing back/shoulders/feet/etc.

I mean, that's what I hear anyway.

There's a difference between petting and rubbing/cuddling. Maybe it's just the aesthetics of it in games and an uncanny valley thing. Like if the cursor is a pointing finger I get the impression I'm just poking someone and what are you doing nobody likes to be poked like that.

(oh except like that poke me more like that senpai)

sig.gif
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Of course you poke pokemon.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The whole skinship thing is just odd to me because it's like, some weird attempt to make these digital characters more real but it's not? It's just a different control interface manipulating lines of code in a program?

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The whole skinship thing is just odd to me because it's like, some weird attempt to make these digital characters more real but it's not? It's just a different control interface manipulating lines of code in a program?

Well, everything is. So's heartfelt dialogue and meaningful character development and subtle facial animation.

sig.gif
  • Options

And movies are a bunch of pictures of people wearing other people's clothes

What's your point

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Well, everything is. So's heartfelt dialogue and meaningful character development and subtle facial animation.

Right but none of those things make the character anymore real to me.

It just makes them more entertaining, emotionally resonant, etc.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

And movies are a bunch of pictures of people wearing other people's clothes

What's your point

That it would be weird say, invent 3D movies so that your relationship with the characters in a movie would be more real when it is has never been real at all.

• Options
    Oh hey I actually have my first practical driving lesson tonight and I hadn't considered that this is kind of making me nervous just watching it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    in this year's goty video alex will not show up for work and they're going to go to his house and find him in his underwear VR trucking

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Okay but when people say "real" they don't literally mean make them flesh and imbue them with a soul

they mean those things you just said.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I think some people may find it more meaningful to do the skinship thing, to feel closer to the characters, when you don't? You seem to be making it sound like because you don't find it to make it more real to you that it means it's not real to anyone?

• Options
    Oh hey I actually have my first practical driving lesson tonight and I hadn't considered that this is kind of making me nervous just watching it.

Don't worry, cars are way easier! You'll do great! Good luck! :D

(Unless this is a practical driving lesson for like a trailer truck in which case good luck, seriously).

• Options
    Yeah I think the meaning of 'real' is implied to be something different than the traditional definition.

I'm not into skinship stuff at all but I can see how someone would be.

• Options

Don't worry, cars are way easier! You'll do great! Good luck! :D

(Unless this is a practical driving lesson for like a trailer truck in which case good luck, seriously).

Nope, car.

In the snow and ice because Canada and that's just my luck but first lesson is closed circuit so it shouldn't be TOO bad.

sig.gif
  • Options

Okay but when people say "real" they don't literally mean make them flesh and imbue them with a soul

Perhaps I am just having a hard time coming at this from the right perspective after having lived in Japan and the whole 2D girlfriend thing. Because these characters are very real to some people in a way that I personally do not really understand.

• Options

Perhaps I am just having a hard time coming at this from the right perspective after having lived in Japan and the whole 2D girlfriend thing. Because these characters are very real to some people in a way that I personally do not really understand.

Yeah I'd say taking it that far is a thing some people definitely do and yes that is also completely alien to me. I couldn't say how common that is in Japan versus here or how open people relatively are to admitting to it and stuff.

It's also part of what I find creepy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    are there skinship games that use the ps4 touchpad

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Yeah I'd say taking it that far is a thing some people definitely do and yes that is also completely alien to me. I couldn't say how common that is in Japan versus here or how open people relatively are to admitting to it and stuff.

It's also part of what I find creepy.

Just let me touch your face for fifteen minutes and you'll understand, Simben-Senpai~

• Options
    *takes notes* ask instructor what I do if my neck gets stuck staring at upper-right corner, how to change camera angles

sig.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The thing about the petting is that the digital anime man cannot reciprocate

Now petting a pokemon or something is okay because it's your pet, and pets are unable to reciprocate because they don't have hands so they have an excuse

But a human being, in the context of some kind of romantic relationship? It's completely one-sided affection, which even if you're not using it in a sexual context is still mega-creepo because cuddling/physical affection is usually a two-way street

It feels diminutive and creepy because you're treating another (fake digital anime) human being like a pet

In conclusion, god willing, the above words are all I will ever write about "skinship"

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    *takes notes* ask instructor what I do if my neck gets stuck staring at upper-right corner, how to change camera angles

Make sure to switch to cinematic camera when merging into traffic.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.