As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]Break a leg!

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    So I'm looking to start sparring soon. Most places online seem to recommend 16oz. gloves for sparring, but I am a small person and I feel like 16oz gloves will be gigantic pillows strapped to my hands. I currently have 12oz gloves for pads and bag work (and probably should've gone for 10 but they didn't have any at the store). What's the lightest I can reasonably go?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I sparred with 12 oz gloves when I did Muay Thai and I'm a bigger fellow. Ask your trainer, though. Should be some sort of a gym policy on the matter.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Bare knuckle or bust
    Kimbo 4 eva

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    So I'm looking to start sparring soon. Most places online seem to recommend 16oz. gloves for sparring, but I am a small person and I feel like 16oz gloves will be gigantic pillows strapped to my hands. I currently have 12oz gloves for pads and bag work (and probably should've gone for 10 but they didn't have any at the store). What's the lightest I can reasonably go?

We require all our guys to spar with 16's, for most people I think it's probably fine unless you're REALLY tiny. If you have real solid control for light sparring you're kinda fine with whatever, there's people I'll spar with 4oz gloves with super light kinda flow/MMA sparring that I'd be cool with smaller gloves and there's some people that just brawl ((which I've had issues with before myself)) where 16s are a must. General rule is 16s at most gyms.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    Also do you guys spar with head gear? I actually like sparring without more, sounds a little crazy but I've gotten way way fewer concussions without head gear, people tend to see the headgear and take it as a sign they can tee off while without they're more careful. Risk is black eyes or a broken nose but I worry a lot less about those and more about concussions these days.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    Also do you guys spar with head gear? I actually like sparring without more, sounds a little crazy but I've gotten way way fewer concussions without head gear, people tend to see the headgear and take it as a sign they can tee off while without they're more careful. Risk is black eyes or a broken nose but I worry a lot less about those and more about concussions these days.

There is headgear available to use but most people don't spar with it. I think the amateur fighters only spar with it when they have a fight coming up that mandates wearing it just so they get used to it. People at my gym tend to spar really light from what I've seen so far.

Forget it...
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea you'd need to ask your trainers, that's a gym dependent thing not something you can just ask us about.

AT my gym the rule was over 160 you had to use 16oz under 160 you were allowed to wear 12oz.

I preferred the 12 so I always stuck with them. Felt liek I could move around a lot smoother.

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    They are stacking the shit out of 202
    In the UFC 202 main event, Nate Diaz looks to repeat his March win over Conor McGregor in a welterweight rematch, and in the co-main event, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson faces Glover Teixeira. Also featured on the card are welterweight matchups between Demian Maia and Carlos Condit and Rick Story and Donald Cerrone.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    In the UFC 202 main event, Nate Diaz looks to repeat his March win over Conor McGregor in a welterweight rematch, and in the co-main event, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson faces Glover Teixeira. Also featured on the card are welterweight matchups between Demian Maia and Carlos Condit and Rick Story and Donald Cerrone.

Cerrone 9-1 since 2014 with an overall record of 30-7

Rick Story 3-1 since 2014 with an overall record of 19-8

*shrug*

steam_sig.png
  • Options

There is headgear available to use but most people don't spar with it. I think the amateur fighters only spar with it when they have a fight coming up that mandates wearing it just so they get used to it. People at my gym tend to spar really light from what I've seen so far.

Always a really good sign when you have active fighters but the sparring is very light and controlled, means more technical fighters. Hope you have fun man. Been a bit since I did a lot of striking, had a real nasty concussion awhile back.

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular

Cerrone 9-1 since 2014 with an overall record of 30-7

Rick Story 3-1 since 2014 with an overall record of 19-8

*shrug*

Cowboy just keeps getting better and better over time, but I can't see how he beats one of the grindiest guys in his division when everybody knows wrestling is his biggest weakness.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    They're building Cowboy at welterweight. Maybe we get Condit vs Cowboy if shit works out.

Also, Rick Story is ripe for intercepting knees.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Update to the Ryan Jimmo hit and run, they've arrested the two guys in the truck who ran him over.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/2016/06/30/arrests-made-in-hit-and-run-death-of-former-ufc-fighter-ryan-jimmo.html

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Christ, seems like it was a heat of the moment thing done by two kids. Feck!

• Options

Always a really good sign when you have active fighters but the sparring is very light and controlled, means more technical fighters. Hope you have fun man. Been a bit since I did a lot of striking, had a real nasty concussion awhile back.

Yeah, I really like this gym. Handful of amateur fighters and a couple pros but everyone mixes with everyone and is super nice and helpful. There's no ego or bro-culture at all which is fantastic. And the owner/head instructor is all about keeping things as authentic as possible. Respects when entering and leaving the gym, at the beginning and end of every class, and the beginning and end of every drill. ...He also likes keeping the gym 'Thailand hot', though, which I guess works for some but goddammit I am from the north I was not built for this heat.

Anyway, I passed my phase 2 test the other day, checked with one of the instructors and am now waiting for a shiny new pair of 14oz Twins to come in from Thailand. Just gotta get my mouth guard and then I'll be all set to start sparring.

Forget it...
  • Options
    Sounds awesome man. If you don't mind me asking how long have you been training and what did the phase 2 test have you doing? I'm actually in the process of helping rewrite our Thai boxing curriculum so just wondering what other places do and all

• Options
    Sounds awesome man. If you don't mind me asking how long have you been training and what did the phase 2 test have you doing? I'm actually in the process of helping rewrite our Thai boxing curriculum so just wondering what other places do and all

I've been training since January. I believe people are eligible to test for phase 2 after 3 months, and if you come into the gym with a lot of martial arts experience right away I think you can test earlier. I put it off because I wasn't happy with my kicks for a while. My switch still sucks but my dominant kick is getting pretty decent.

If I remember right, the test was:

- shadowboxing from boxing stance
    - shadowboxing from thai stance
    - show closed & open boxing stance
    - show thai stance

On pads:
    - jab
    - jab cross
    - jab cross hook
    - dominant kick
    - switch kick
    - dominant knee
    - jab cross dominant knee dominant kick
    - dominant kick, clinch knee x2, spin out, dominant kick
    - lead leg teep

Defense:
    - inward parry vs jab cross
    - outward block vs looping hooks (for some reason the exact terminology is escaping me; you hit the inside of their arm with your forearm as they're coming in)

I might be forgetting 1 or 2 things but I think that's most of it. Everything on the pads was repeated about 3 or 4 times with one instructor watching and a 2nd holding the pads. The test sheet they gave beforehand mentioned demonstrating your ability to hold pads for all those things as well but I didn't have to do that, I'm assuming because I've been there for long enough and they've seen me in class.

Forget it...
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    A conference call happened today for UFC 200.

This line just struck me as hilarious for some reason. Brock knows what his gameplan is, that's for sure.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Hunto gonna get f5'd into oblivion

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options

I've been training since January. I believe people are eligible to test for phase 2 after 3 months, and if you come into the gym with a lot of martial arts experience right away I think you can test earlier. I put it off because I wasn't happy with my kicks for a while. My switch still sucks but my dominant kick is getting pretty decent.

If I remember right, the test was:

- shadowboxing from boxing stance
    - shadowboxing from thai stance
    - show closed & open boxing stance
    - show thai stance

On pads:
    - jab
    - jab cross
    - jab cross hook
    - dominant kick
    - switch kick
    - dominant knee
    - jab cross dominant knee dominant kick
    - dominant kick, clinch knee x2, spin out, dominant kick
    - lead leg teep

Defense:
    - inward parry vs jab cross
    - outward block vs looping hooks (for some reason the exact terminology is escaping me; you hit the inside of their arm with your forearm as they're coming in)

I might be forgetting 1 or 2 things but I think that's most of it. Everything on the pads was repeated about 3 or 4 times with one instructor watching and a 2nd holding the pads. The test sheet they gave beforehand mentioned demonstrating your ability to hold pads for all those things as well but I didn't have to do that, I'm assuming because I've been there for long enough and they've seen me in class.

It's so tough to figure out what to cover when and when to have tests for people and all that. People want a sense of accomplishment as they progress and also it's a turning point where curriculum steps up, we used to do a similar test with a pretty brutal conditioning section at the end.

• Options
    And that's really cool thank ya.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    http://mmajunkie.com/2016/06/brock-lesnar-responds-to-mark-hunts-ped-accusations-im-a-white-boy-and-im-jacked-deal-with-it
    Lesnar (5-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC), who returns to the octagon for the first time in more than four years against Hunt (12-10-1 MMA, 7-4-1 UFC) in UFC 200’s co-main event, said he’s not taking the criticism personally from anyone that believes he has or is abusing PEDs.

“I’ve been dealing with that my entire life,” Lesnar said on today’s UFC 200 media conference call. “I’m a white boy and I’m jacked. Deal with it. What do you want me to say? I’m a white boy and I’m jacked, deal with it.”

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Doesn't matter if you've got more roids than red blood cells in your swollen veins Brock. Hunto is still going to annihilate you.

• Options
    Get ready for this weekend, yo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vDE1mxWdiM

• Options

stipemiocicufc

Hey guys have a great 4th and be safe... God bless!!!!

also, i cant wait to see hunt knock brock dead

• Options
  • Options
    Man UFCs programming can be so goofy sometimes. I'll always be hyped about anything to do with Mark Hunt though.

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if you've got more roids than red blood cells in your swollen veins Brock. Hunto is still going to annihilate you.

i don't know how people think this is gonna happen
    hunt is gonna get taken dowb immediately and just be plain ineffective on the ground

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Really the only opinion you should listen to on CM Punk's debut right here

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/matt-hardy-cm-punk-ufc-prediction/

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    i hope taker shows up to beef with brock after he wins

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    Poor Mir, caught juicing finally and he's the victim.

• Options
    Here's Jones/Cormier 1 if you need a refresher before 200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jETFlZjABL0

• Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »

i don't know how people think this is gonna happen
    hunt is gonna get taken dowb immediately and just be plain ineffective on the ground

Hmmm, what's that smell in the air? I can't quite tell if it's the scent of sig bet, or chicken!

• Options
    Hunto is gonna murder Brock

• Options
    I'm not so in the bag for Lesnar that I'm calling a win for him.

But I think people are underestimating Brock's chances.

• Options
    Brock 4 eva

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Damn it, Jon.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/07/jon-jones-notified-of-potential-anti-doping-violation-ufc-200-main-event-with-cormier-off
    LAS VEGAS – One of the biggest rematches in UFC history has been scrapped just three days before the event.

In a blockbuster announcement, UFC President Dana White tonight said the UFC 200 main event between light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier (17-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) and interim champ Jon Jones (22-1 MMA, 16-1 UFC) is off the card.

White brought out UFC Vice President of Athlete Health & Performance Jeff Novitzky to say the promotion had been notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Association that Jones had been notified of a potential anti-doping violation.

The new main event will be the previous co-main event heavyweight bout between Mark Hunt (12-10-1 MMA, 7-4-1 UFC) and Brock Lesnar (5-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) , White said.

Dana White looks super happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6O9L32K4tY

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Of course this would happen.

Care more for the Fight Night Thursday than 200