As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Return of the King

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see big hero-guy Link as a side-character, like one of those dumb goron-heroes, or Impa.

I would play The Legend of Deku.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Random note. Was just watching the Link's Awakening DLC trailer again. Noticed one of the screens awarded a heart container for Marin. THANK GOD. For once they did it right. I had a feeling they would based on the way they were distributing it the same in all countries but still it's a relief to have confirmation Marin will actually have a reason to be played (and I assume the Pegasus Boots for Linkle as well). Mentioned it before but one of the things I hated about the Wii U DLC was how none of the new characters had any interaction with the Adventure Mode maps which meant it was kind of pointless to level them except "for fun" since most missions required you to use someone else. Was glad with Legends fixed this for the existing maps and glad to see they are continuing to do that.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Awakening DLC Review: None of Marin's attacks involve her turning into a seagull, 0/10, would not buy again.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Awakening DLC Review: None of Marin's attacks involve her turning into a seagull, 0/10, would not buy again.

Technically she should only turn into a seagull if she dies :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Technically she should only turn into a seagull if she dies :3

Technically she shouldn't be able to summon the Wind Fish without dying, yet here we are.

Joking aside, she's pretty good. Easily my favourite water type.

Edit: I changed my mind. 10/10, DLC of the year.

WVW69jWZ4R4CkearI3_zpsbwzytnh0.jpg

TamerBill on
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen this on here and it is very interesting theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJg4D26QrEU

It would also lend credence to the fact that the map always seems to be a bit off. That darn Goddess is moving sh!t around when we aren't looking ... no fair.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "Technically" that seagull is pretty lively for a dead bird. Nerds.

Do DLCs that add adventure-maps increase that fairy-count when you beat them?

• Options
    Do DLCs that add adventure-maps increase that fairy-count when you beat them?

They do.

Speaking of fairies, the free fairy they gave out is actually found normally on the Koholint map, so it just saves you catching it.

• Options
    Spotpass-fairies don't count towards the limit, either. That's an advantage.

• Options
    Spotpass-fairies don't count towards the limit, either. That's an advantage.

I've heard conflicting reports about that, actually. Some people are saying that getting a spotpass fairy just increases the limit by one, same as an adventure clear. Haven't tested it myself, so I don't know which is correct.

• Options
  • Options

Huh, I assumed Linebeck was a shoo-in. If it's Spirit Tracks Zelda I guess we can expect a Phantom-based moveset?

• Options

Huh, I assumed Linebeck was a shoo-in. If it's Spirit Tracks Zelda I guess we can expect a Phantom-based moveset?

I guess, but... I mean, the Dominion Rod is literally already that :(

• Options

I guess, but... I mean, the Dominion Rod is literally already that :(

I'm thinking more transforming into a phantom for the duration of attacks, sorta like Midna's wolf.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    On the plus side, at least we aren't getting Hilda.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    jothki wrote: »

I didn't think we would. Zelda's costume change is practically identical. Would have been weird. She doesn't look different enough I think.

Warlock82 on
  • Options

I didn't think we would. Zelda's costume change is practically identical. Would have been weird. She doesn't look different enough I think.

These are the designers who gave us neither Groose nor Lineback. My standards for them are fairly low.

• Options

These are the designers who gave us neither Groose nor Lineback. My standards for them are fairly low.

Linebeck baffles me. Groose I think is oddly not very popular in Japan, at least, that is the impression I've gotten. I think they would have done him in Legends but wanted to focus on the handheld titles, which makes sense.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I fucking hate Linebeck. I remember I even wrote "Linebeck sucks" on the map in Phantom Hourglass.

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    I think you'll find that Linebeck, in fact, owns.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Linebeck looks like he's huffing a can of spray paint whenever you're not looking.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    If they did as well with Linebeck as they did with Tingle, he'd be lovably hateable. Tingle's victory animation alone...

Speaking of characters that I hate, does anyone know how to do anything useful with Tetra? Her moveset feels like it would work well if she was older and had a different artstyle, but as it is her stubby little limbs cripple it.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Trying out Marin, wished they incorporated more of her singing theme for her moves. Should have been Crazy Tracy representing Link's Awakening for max WTFs.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Linebeck looks like he's huffing a can of spray paint whenever you're not looking.

Whatever he was doing his family was exiled to the boonies of hyrule for it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Speaking of characters that I hate, does anyone know how to do anything useful with Tetra? Her moveset feels like it would work well if she was older and had a different artstyle, but as it is her stubby little limbs cripple it.

Spam C5 and C6 to clear out keeps. They have a vacuum effect, so they can hit a surprising amount of enemies. For captains you can launch them with C2 and juggle them straight into a C5.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Zelda Link Between Worlds being speedrunned right now on GamesDoneQuick.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Was trying to figure out what the heck Toon Link's Koholint costume was supposed to be in the new Link's Awakening DLC for Hyrule Warriors. Then I used it for a level and it was clear what the influence was :D
    WVW69jWrN-0Z4yHZKj
    latest?cb=20100413135606
    (it's hard to tell from the picture but his hat is a mushroom :P)

Edit: So I'm also thinking Young Link's is a weird reference to Prince Sable of all things:
    WVW69jW0r0E4R4izOw
    PdbFbA8.png

He isn't in this game (though Richard is), but Link's Awakening was built from the same engine as "For the Frog the Bell Tolls" which is the game he's from. I could be wrong, but I'm choosing to say that's what he represents :P A lot of these costumes are hard to place since Link's Awakening doesn't have a lot of official art and most characters are like, two colors (generally peach and red/blue/green/orange)

Edit: Random side note, looking on Google I stumbled on this which is amazing (Assume these are from the Link's Awakening Nintendo Power Player's Guide... I wish I owned that :( ):
    http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/super_retro_links_awakening_inspired_artwork

LA_art20.jpg

Edit 2: Oh damn. I tracked down a PDF of the Link's Awakening Guide and I honestly think they used some of these designs! The Sea Lily bell Marin uses is IDENTICAL to the art from that guide (which as far as I know, was created exclusively for that guide). The bell looks completely different in the manual and game. The Pegasus Boots art is also pretty close!

Edit 3: Hahahahaha, I finally figured out what Linkle's pink costume was a reference to:
    Christine_Photo.png

Edit 4: Yay, finally a good source for official arts (well, as official as strategy guides and such get):
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/historyofhyrule/albums/72157629221332745/page1

I think it's safe to say that Girahim is Richard. Cia is Evil Eagle (with nods to Grim Creeper who rides Evil Eagle). Agitha is Crazy Tracy I think. I suspect Tetra is either Madam MeowMeow or more likely, Martha (the Mermaid).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Sonuvabitch, apparently the Legends character pack (Linkle, Tetra, and ect.) and the Legends of Hyrule pack (aka the season pass including Marin and the other upcoming stuff) are finally available to buy as Wii U DLC.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Richard's fine on Koholint, so might as well put Sablé there.

Couldn't get a Marin-voice to even try. Listen to that semi-humming. Barely takes a tone.
    Just put in midi-beeps if you're gonna lame it out either way.

Ah, yes, that pegasus-stomping followed by the classic short-range high maneuverability.

• Options
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I understand why people didn't like Fi but I will be honest, I thought she(?) was pretty endearing. They definitely could have toned it down a bit or made it more of an on-demand hint system, but I never dreaded her appearance like some people seemed to.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    I certainly found her less annoying than Navi.

• Options
    I wonder, has anyone calculated the combined false negatives of Fi's predictions? I don't think she ever got one wrong, while if her probability estimates were accurate she should probably have gotten several wrong.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I like Fi. I don't like how Fi was used.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Side note, I've been looking through the art on that flickr page and there's some great Zelda 1 art in there. Some of these I almost wonder if they may have been inspiration for Breath of the Wild:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/historyofhyrule/albums/72157629221232021/page7
    6837933569_e32e210102.jpg 6837931837_a0876405c8.jpg

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I should check if I still have the Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past guides. Seeing that art again brings back so many memories.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    I just had a very interesting thought. What if at some point in the game you are allowed to play as Link before and during the events that lead up to him being put into cryostasis in BoTW? Most of the games have some sort of dual world mechanic ... so why not this one. I mean in some of those same games it was literally a pallet swap with a couple of slightly different areas. I say this because at the end of the trailer we see the world in chaos with fire and destruction everywhere and seemingly a possessed guardian getting the drop on Link. What if you could play THAT?

Then again with how huge this world seems to be that would be complete and utter gloriously magnificent MADNESS. And then after that FML!

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    You end the game, having saved the world, by going into stasis and being sent back in time to close the time loop so you can do it all again forever.

But they made a mistake in doing this, because then Link never dies, and thus can't be reborn for the next cycle, which explains why the hero never surfaced in one timeline.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Presumably he is reborn the same way as Aang, if the Hero's Shade is an indication.

• Options
    You end the game, having saved the world, by going into stasis and being sent back in time to close the time loop so you can do it all again forever.

But they made a mistake in doing this, because then Link never dies, and thus can't be reborn for the next cycle, which explains why the hero never surfaced in one timeline.

As Zelda says at the end of OoT, messing around with time without understanding the consequences is a terrible idea. Of course, she then proceeds to fracture the timeline for no apparent gain whatsoever, probably stranding Link and the version of Navi that knows him in entirely different timelines. So yeah.