As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Return of the King

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I remember working at retail during the Infinity/Skylanders war in 2014. Once you go into depth about how the Infinity figures work (this one works in this set, these are toy box only, here are some coin power-up things, etc) and then tell them that all Skylanders figures work in the most current game, the sales for Skylanders toys were a no-brainer. If Disney's system wasn't needlessly complex, their IPs would have pulled them into Skylanders type sales.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    But amiibo have that same problem, no? There's no game that uses all amiibers, each one has a use but not necessarily for the game you want.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    True, but Amiibo aren't built around a game. They're an accessory to a platform of Nintendo games, with different purposes and uses.

Skylanders is a game (now series of games) built around using the toys.
    Infinity is a game (with essentially required updates to new versions) built around using the toys.
    LEGO Dimensions is a game built around using the toys.

Amiibo are accessories to a whole bunch of different games, and none of the games require the toys. It's definitely an interesting angle. I wouldn't much care for a Super Smash game where if I wanted to use a different character I had to buy the Amiibo. Or Mario Kart, etc, like you do with Skylanders Superchargers. (I think, I see vehicles but I haven't actually played the game)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    But amiibo have that same problem, no? There's no game that uses all amiibers, each one has a use but not necessarily for the game you want.

Technically a couple of games give you rewards no matter what amiibo you scan for it. Pokkén is a recent example; it doesn't even care if the amiibo are pokémon or not. Only the Shadow Mewtwo card does anything specific.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I remember working at retail during the Infinity/Skylanders war in 2014. Once you go into depth about how the Infinity figures work (this one works in this set, these are toy box only, here are some coin power-up things, etc) and then tell them that all Skylanders figures work in the most current game, the sales for Skylanders toys were a no-brainer. If Disney's system wasn't needlessly complex, their IPs would have pulled them into Skylanders type sales.

And then 4.0 was supposedly going to let you use any figure on any playset, so of course Disney gives it the axe >:[

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Amiibo also has the benefit of being Nintendo characters, who have infinitely more character than anybody else, making it easier to buy the things solely for the figure itself.

I bought the Squid Sisters to put on a shelf because they're awesome, and they're never going to be used in any serious fashion.

I'm not buying a figure of Lightcore Pop Fizz because... who the fuck is Lightcore Pop Fizz?

Disney Infinity in theory should have scratched that same itch. Figures of Luke, Black Widow, Rocket, and so on? But I couldn't get fired up on them. Amiibo are to blame again though, because I look at that shelf and while the first thought is "these are fucking awesome", the second thought is "Never go down this rabbit hole again".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    My wife owns several Infinity figures and we have never owned any edition of the game. :)

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I've got three (Iron Man and the Wreck-It Ralph 2-pack; just need Phineas, Perry, Elsa, and Hulkbuster and I'm good), and don't own the game, either.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    My wife and I tried playing Infinity 2 and absolutely hated the controls, the camera, and everything. Really turned us off the game. The fact that there as no backwards compatibility was a huge turnoff, too.

Amiibo are different because you just use them to unlock things, basically.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    What kind of monster takes their Amiibo out of the box?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I bit the bullet and took most of them out to scan for Mario Maker. Wasn't worth it at all.

However I was careful and kept all the boxes intact and you'd almost never know they were opened.

But long term I want them out of the box anyway in a nice wooden display case.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    What kind of monster takes their Amiibo out of the box?

If you're not planning on selling them then it makes no difference and you get to not look at a bunch of ugly cardboard and plastic.

• Options
    I like how the boxes look. Better for stacking/dusting, too.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    I hope you won't take it personally but whilst the idea of collecting figures at scale is already a bit tough for me to understand, doing that whilst keeping/displaying them in their boxes is something that starts to really mess with my head.

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    For memorabilia and collector's items there's really no other value scale to measure stuff by. If you aren't meant to actually do anything with it besides appreciate its existence there's just not much of a yardstick.

edit: I think it's enhanced with Miibs because they're a consumer-level thing. They're not like an exceptionally rare or old thing where you can only hope to find one that has had few owners and still has some of the accessories.
    There's no instruction booklet or other bits to go with these things to help delineate what's the most ideal complete state, and they're everywhere, so with limited variety in condition and a whole bunch to choose from there's more emphasis than usual placed on the NIB thing.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    For the record, I don't keep everything in a box. Transformers I take out all the time. But for stuff that's more display than play? Different story.

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I keep my lone amiibo (Ganondorf) right above my monitor where he can judge me.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    This is where I have my Amiibo displayed. I think it looks a tad better than them in the boxes. :)
    tllcdd3x1nf3.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2016
    urahonky wrote: »
    This is where I have my Amiibo displayed. I think it looks a tad better than them in the boxes. :)
    tllcdd3x1nf3.jpg

If I could mount shelves like that on my wall and had a glass(?) enclosure to keep dust out, I'd go that route as well.

Me, I just work with what I've got, which is the top of my desk.

Also, I love how you've got it and the case beneath it set up to look like a warp pipe. <3

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    Thanks! I should put 8-bit Mario above it.

https://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-baseball-bat-display-case/10174362.html is what I used for the Amiibo. It's a much better use than some wooden bat.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Ganondorf should be with the other Zelda characters but he was apparently all "nah, fuck that."

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    Ganondorf should be with the other Zelda characters but he was apparently all "nah, fuck that."

Oh great now I'll never unsee that.

I'll be fixing that tonight!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I was going to mention that too, because it was also bugging me the second I saw it. But I didn't want to be "that guy". :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Hm. After the minor disappointment that was Double Hookshot Dungeon the next round of TwiHard is actually pretty cool. It is weird how they shifted away from a very character-driven town/dungeon narrative in the late-game here and went with "aaaand here's the next dungeon I guess go get em kid" The amount of world-building and run-up has fallen off along with dungeon length/complexity.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Hm. After the minor disappointment that was Double Hookshot Dungeon the next round of TwiHard is actually pretty cool. It is weird how they shifted away from a very character-driven town/dungeon narrative in the late-game here and went with "aaaand here's the next dungeon I guess go get em kid" The amount of world-building and run-up has fallen off along with dungeon length/complexity.

That dungeon and the one in the desert were added late in development, if memory serves. The desert dungeon is great, that one... not so much.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Spot the hidden Mickey!

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Cross-posting this from SE++:

http://www.first4figures.com/component/option,com_myphp/Itemid,3/product,175

vertical.jpg

It's 25 inches tall. AND the water lights up.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That's sick as shit, but $480.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    That's sick as shit, but $480.

That seems reasonable for the size and the fact it lights up, but yeah, too rich for my blood :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SO

I'm now sitting on two zelda games where I've completed all but the final bits of story quest and have put off finishing to wrap up all the side quests. I'm worried I somehow botched the figurines in Minish Cap and I've got a bunch of bugs and poes and whatever else to collect in TPHD.

• Options
    SO

I'm now sitting on two zelda games where I've completed all but the final bits of story quest and have put off finishing to wrap up all the side quests. I'm worried I somehow botched the figurines in Minish Cap and I've got a bunch of bugs and poes and whatever else to collect in TPHD.

You may have. There were some bugs with missable figurines IIRC.

Also, the bugs in TP are super easy, you should just do them all. Poes are harder but the lantern helps a ton to be honest. There was always a single poe in the original I could never find. And there was absolutely no way to know which one I missed even with a guide to all of them outside of re-checking every single one...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    SO

You may have. There were some bugs with missable figurines IIRC.

Also, the bugs in TP are super easy, you should just do them all. Poes are harder but the lantern helps a ton to be honest. There was always a single poe in the original I could never find. And there was absolutely no way to know which one I missed even with a guide to all of them outside of re-checking every single one...

That's one of the things I hated the most about the collect-a-thons. You couldn't figure out which one you missed.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    A big reason I actually put in the effort to 100% complete Link Between Worlds is that it told you the general vicinity of the Maiamas/whatever were located. Made searching them a less fruitless effort. I don't mind doing some hunting and puzzle solving, but when the world gets really big and it can be ANYWHERE and there are no clues it becomes more of a chore than fun.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Yeah, TP actually had an amazing system with the fortune teller who would show you the location of a random heart piece you had yet to collect. So early on, not super helpful as there are TONS it can pick from and maybe you can't get it yet. Later tho? Only a few left, super useful in finding those last couple tricky ones. Don't know why they never brought this back.

• Options
    I'm fine with them not bringing them back because I hate real world fortune tellers. I was actually annoyed that there was a required quest with a fortune teller in SS.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    I'm fine with them not bringing them back because I hate real world fortune tellers. I was actually annoyed that there was a required quest with a fortune teller in SS.

The ones in video games are actually clairvoyant though not fakers

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RockinX wrote: »

The ones in video games are actually clairvoyant though not fakers

I know, but growing up in a country where they're hailed as something magical and totally legit makes me hate even fictitious fortune tellers.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I actually think having types of people you don't like would just make the game world feel more well-rounded. Sure, most of the people in Hyrule are honest, decent people, but they also have their equivalent to shady used car salesmen.