As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Totally looks like Torian running behind her though.
    Yep, carrying that gun he shoved in the Mantis' stash-locker when he joined up. Nice to see he didn't leave it behind when he left the ship.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Yep, carrying that gun he shoved in the Mantis' stash-locker when he joined up. Nice to see he didn't leave it behind when he left the ship.
    Well I figure since Scorpio learned how to use a rifle in 5 years time, Torian could have remembered how to use one.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

So is he gonna
    be ranged DPS now?

You know, like the story said he was before he joined up and was inexplicably melee?

• Options
    These Commanders share chests are trolling me with dupes.

How long is it actually going to take before I get a pair of agent dreadguard pants? I'm up to 4 torsos now.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

How long is it actually going to take before I get a pair of agent dreadguard pants? I'm up to 4 torsos now.

Dreadguard pieces seem *fairly* common, but there's always that bad streak where you're not getting the one piece you want.

The pieces I've had the hardest time getting are the top teir, which I can't remember the name of.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Dreadguard pieces seem *fairly* common, but there's always that bad streak where you're not getting the one piece you want.

The pieces I've had the hardest time getting are the top teir, which I can't remember the name of.

I currently have a smattering of everything, but that one agent outfit is so close to completion! Given how not-close everything else is I have no real reason to expect the one set to complete soon.

It's just painfully close to complete, whereas nothing else is anywhere near.

• Options
    So that Eternal Champion thing is kind of a bad joke, huh?

I don't mean in terms of challenge; I think some players will finally get that hard as balls content they've been longing for since KotFE came out, plus appropriate bragging rights in the form of achievements that only the really good players can get. Solo 5 at-level group-flashpoint-difficulty boss fights without dying? In less than 15 minutes? In all classes? Yeah. There's gonna be some people showing off the Eternal Champion, Eternal Legend, Sprint Legend, or Deathless Champion title for years to come.

At least I hope they're that proud of it, because for them to be that good and that geared there is not a chance in hell they're going to find any use for any of the non-cosmetic rewards they're getting. Woof. Half-assed cosmetic gear, some decorations, and items with ratings they probably left in the dust in November.
    On the bright side getting Bowie back isn't that hard if you have even moderately good equipment.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Guess that's some more achievements I'm not getting!

• Options
    The weapon tuning not being part of the collections interface unhelpfully means the rarity of said item is unknown.

• Options
    Two things I realized today.

1) Gaunt Rennow could be played by Wentworth Miller.

2) For chapter 14,
    I hope Akaavi is also present with the Mandalorians, assuming they ever plan on bringing her back in-story.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'm planning a big time Star Wars weekend. Got the 200%XP going and I'm off Saturday-Monday, so my ass will be blitzing the 4 stories I've got to finish up, figuring out who I want to run through KotFE and trying my hand at elder champion stuff.

And the re-release of Surge just hit my area, so I'll be chugging that like a fiend and partying like its 1999.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Hmm, I don't know if they updated it for when it went live or if I just didn't notice this at first. You can apparently redo the Solo versions of the mission as many times as you like.
    That, at least, means that you don't have to wait 4 weeks or be ridiculously good to get Bowie; you can just do the first X number of fights Y number of times (e.g., the first 5 fights get you 3000 influence with him, so you "only" have to do those 4 times. I don't know how much lesser numbers of fights get you).

EDIT: Each of the first 5 fights nets you 764 influence.

And gear really does make a huge difference. I died the first time I did fight 5, but that was probably on my poorest-geared character (Ruffian Scoundrel) to make it to that part of the game; a lot of 208 gear still on her, though she did have the two 220s you can buy from bringing your department heads to level 20 influence. I needed to pop a Heroic Moment but I just squeaked it out in my second time, knowing the mechanics.

On another character (Concealment Operative, so arguably the worse spec), I cruised through all five of the first fights, and even managed to last a good thirty seconds on fight 6 (whereas with the Scoundrel, I was down in half that). Basically the only thing on him not 216 or better is the mainhand barrel. It's not out of the realm of possibility that if I were any good at managing defensive cooldowns and such I could win that fight as-is.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Whelp my Origin account was hacked by Russians so that shut down Star Wars even though I have an account key.

Origin: The service that no one wanted that doesn't do anything but fuck you over.

Russians: Still technically not as bad as Isis so I guess there's that.

Posted this in the STO thread by mistake so I moved it here.

To update: Reclaiming my origin account was surprisingly easy and it looks like EA has learned that two factor is a thing that exists so at least this won't happen again. Star Wars account still locked of course. Supposedly they will get back to me "within three days" which isn't really acceptable for an account that was never actually compromised when the compromized Origin account was resolved in less than an hour.

I tried calling them again and the guy said their servers were down and to call back in an hour. So I will. I'm not having this "we'll get back to you" nonsense.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    To update: Reclaiming my origin account was surprisingly easy and it looks like EA has learned that two factor is a thing that exists so at least this won't happen again. Star Wars account still locked of course. Supposedly they will get back to me "within three days" which isn't really acceptable for an account that was never actually compromised when the compromized Origin account was resolved in less than an hour.

I tried calling them again and the guy said their servers were down and to call back in an hour. So I will. I'm not having this "we'll get back to you" nonsense.

If you're not a subscriber, Bioware account support for TOR basically boils down to "whenever the fuck we feel like it."

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

If you're not a subscriber, Bioware account support for TOR basically boils down to "whenever the fuck we feel like it."

Not only am I a subscriber I buy cartel coins and shit. I am a good customer and do expect to be treated like one.

• Options
    This morning while trying to do a 16m Xeno story mode, we ran into a weird problem where about half the raid was in a different instance. For one half, Xeno had been cleared. For the other half, he hadn't.

Has anyone seen anything like that, or is this a new bug, like the one that lets you zerg him even on hard mode?

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    This morning while trying to do a 16m Xeno story mode, we ran into a weird problem where about half the raid was in a different instance. For one half, Xeno had been cleared. For the other half, he hadn't.

Has anyone seen anything like that, or is this a new bug, like the one that lets you zerg him even on hard mode?

Sounds like someone in your party was using a quantum computer

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, I'm puttering through the Imperial Agent story, quite enjoying it so far. Enough to sub for a few months, anyway.

But I have questions!

Such as: is there a decent guide for newbies somewhere? Halfway through Chapter One, I'm starting to feel like I could optimise my play a bit.

Such as: I have cartel coins! What do I buy?

Such as: how might I set a custom appearance? I'm sure I'm looking right through the option.

Such as: these group raids - I did one and it was fun, but are they really worthwhile?

Such as: do I want to start an L60 character for KofFE, or finish my Agent first?

• Options
    Finish the Agent's story and if this is your first character to reach end-content, go through the Rise Of The Hutt Cartel and Shadow Of Revan stories (including it's four-FP prologue) first before starting Fallen Empire. You'll feel more invested in Fallen Empire's story if you know what's come before.

Plus people around here will probably toss rocks at you if you forgo the Agent's story to skip right on over to KotFE.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    But I have questions!
    TOR Community and Dulfy usually have the answers. As do the people in this thread.
    Such as: is there a decent guide for newbies somewhere? Halfway through Chapter One, I'm starting to feel like I could optimise my play a bit.
    Con't remember one. The game usually changes enough that guides get outdated pretty soon.
    Don't bother with a rotation/priority guide until you're level 61. Even if you have the skills, they don't proc/behave the way they do at lvl 65, so you use them differently at lower levels.
    Maybe try to keep an eye on how your skills change as you level up ('K' key by default).
    My personal tip, try out PvP. Then keep doing the PvP daily. You'll get a fair understanding of what your skills do, and how to position yourself in fights, yadda, yadda...
    But you'll als get enough War Zone commendations to get yourself a great set of gear when you reach level 65. A set that bolsters greatly in the Group Finder, and will generally serve you well in the end game.

Plus, SWtOR PvP can be great fun.
    Such as: I have cartel coins! What do I buy?
    Rocket boost.
    Such as: how might I set a custom appearance? I'm sure I'm looking right through the option.
    Don't remember, but Dulfy does.
    Such as: these group raids - I did one and it was fun, but are they really worthwhile?

Since you're only partway through Act I, I'm guessing you're talking about the 4-player dungeons (Flash Points).
    The earlier ones offer some story/lore. Achievements, and maybe some decorations. Nothing that you desperately need gear-wise. Some of the gear can look nice, but you can always return if you find a piece of gear you like.
    Do them if you feel like you want some 4-player PvE.

At lvl 50 (?) you'll get access to raids (operations), which are 8-/16-player PvE content that has some gear with better stats and bonuses. (As well as achievements, decorations and cosmetic stuff/mounts/pets.)
    Such as: do I want to start an L60 character for KofFE, or finish my Agent first?

Like Owenashi said, what you have there is probably the best story in the game.
    Only reason to pause it for some lvl 60 KotFE action is to get access to the content that's locked behind KotFE progression.
    Which isn't much. The alliance missions and their companions. The Star fortress. Eternal Championship.
    And the KotFE story. Can't think of anything else.
    PvE content like Raids (Operations) isn't locked behind KotFE, only levels. Same with PvP.
    So do what you feel like ... as long as it involes finishing the Agent story. ;)

Not sure if any of this helped, either way, just ask away.
    And tell us your stories.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Could it be the phase was set wrong? Set to 8 man instead of 16 man?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

We tried setting it a bunch of different times--the phase was correct.

• Options

That's weird. I've never seen that before myself, luckily. I hope I never do.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

That's weird. I've never seen that before myself, luckily. I hope I never do.

Could it be that the leader of the second group (or whoever from that group entered first) was past that boss?

I feel like I've run into something similar, but j basically stopped raiding right around when Dread Fortress came out.

I really really need to check out the last couple of updates. I don't think I've done anything past Makeb...

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I'll also suggest, Croaker, that if you start a Republic character later you run them through the storylines of the base game, Rise Of The Hutt Cartel and Shadow Of Revan again. Bioware put enough differences in the stories to warrant a playthrough at least once on both factions. Rise Of The Hutt Cartel is a pretty good example as the Republic and Empire player-characters go to Makeb for different reasons and causes.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Apparently the game updates yesterday included new emails.
    Two from an "Avus Dayne" to the Outlander, one of which is a love poem written to Vette, and one of which has the subject DO NOT READ PREVIOUS MESSAGE and is written to the Commander.

If you're most classes, it ends with, "If you *did* read it...do you think I have cahnce?"

If you're a Sith Warrior who's romanced Vette it ends with "I didn't realize you two were involved. Please don't crush my windpipe."

I thought that was a nice touch.

EDIT: In terms of completeness of story. Dude's original email is pretty creepy.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    FYI, armor unlocks are 50% off again--if you've got some gold outfits you've been waiting to unlock, now's the time to do it!

• Options
    FYI, armor unlocks are 50% off again--if you've got some gold outfits you've been waiting to unlock, now's the time to do it!

Also, some items that were not unlockable previously are now unlockable - mainly things like the HK mask that they turned off the legacy bind on, and the underwear set that you buy from the cartel reputation vendor.

• Options
    So is TOR down for everyone else?

• Options
  • Options
    Wow! They're letting you kill LOTS of people here.
    I didn't go through with it, but that you can kill Satele Shan is disappointing--it means she's no longer going to be playing a role in the game.

And you can kill Angry Cat! Dang!

• Options
    edited May 2016
    So is
    Akaavi going to be in chapter 14?

Because if not, that's kind of annoying. I know she wasn't very popular, but this is the perfect chapter for her to be in. And the last chapter showed you can have two companions in a single chapter--quite well, actually.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    June's gonna be twice the fun for SWTOR players according to a dev-post on their forums.
    SWTOR.com wrote:
    Can confirm, both Chapter 14 and 15 are coming in June. As a note, this means that if you are a subscriber on June 1st, you will get early access to both Chapters.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I find the Koth hate in this thread fascinating. The fact that he admires Valkorion and rejects your vision of the Emperor as evil is telling. It's proof Valkorion is more than Sith, because he built a stable and prosperous empire who's force users are neither Jedi nor Sith. Further, he actually managed to inspire loyalty in his own people, something that is anathema to the old empire. There's a duality between Vitiate and Valkorion, they appear to be completely different beings, yet they aren't.

So maybe that's why you guys hate Koth, because he has a legitimate reason to idolize a world eater. That and he tries to steal:
    The Gravestone, which is an automatic death sentence.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    I find the Koth hate in this thread fascinating. The fact that he admires Valkorion and rejects your vision of the Emperor as evil is telling. It's proof Valkorion is more than Sith, because he built a stable and prosperous empire who's force users are neither Jedi nor Sith. Further, he actually managed to inspire loyalty in his own people, something that is anathema to the old empire. There's a duality between Vitiate and Valkorion, they appear to be completely different beings, yet they aren't.

So maybe that's why you guys hate Koth, because he has a legitimate reason to idolize a world eater. That and he tries to steal:

He knows full well the guy's a world eater and his response is "Well, he was always good to zakuul"

I don't hate him because he supposedly has "legitimate" reasons for loyalty I hate him because he knows how many died to bring him Zakuul...and he doesn't care.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Well, I tried to do Eternal Championship stuff as a healer. It only took about 5 fights for it to turn into a total clusterfuck of constantly trying to babysit Nico to stand in the right place. Yeah, thanks but no thanks.

• Options
    I think it boils down to a 'you don't know him like I do' mindset Koth has. He's known Valkorian all his life as a decent guy and it's hard to think of him the same way the player does. It'd be like British people being told that Winston Churchill was a cannibal or Americans being told that Obama visits KKK rallies on the weekends. And before she's mentioned, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons why they wrote in some animosity between him and Senya is because it's easier for him then to ignore any 'actually, they sorta got a point on how bad Valkorian is' comments from her.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular

He knows full well the guy's a world eater and his response is "Well, he was always good to zakuul"

I don't hate him because he supposedly has "legitimate" reasons for loyalty I hate him because he knows how many died to bring him Zakuul...and he doesn't care.
    It's more than a little unreasonable to expect Koth to just up and turn around on his feelings about Valkorian. It would also be absurd for him to concede the point so early into the story. There's an excellent opportunity for character development if Koth came to the realization that Valkorian was a horrible monster. Being surrounded by all those people from the core worlds could snap him out of his hero worship. Having him straight up agree with the main character, without any growth, would make me hate him.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Keep in mind they are also trying to sell Valkorian as some sort of 'gray' force user.

Who regularly committed genocide.

Gray.

• Options
    Not so much gray as colorless, maybe?