As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Is there going to be a new expansion? Have they said anything?

On an unrelated note, my main complaint about KoTFE/KoTEE is that the returning companions were horribly underused, and that my favourite character didn't return. Inq spoilers
    Lord Zash. Of course I kept her over that stupid Deshade.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Finished my class story on the warrior. Solid outing, up to chapter 3 on my operative, its funny seeing the interactions with republic story missions. Like on taris you visit two class story missions for republic classes in the knight and trooper.

Also having played a warrior up and an operative makes me appreciate my bounty hunter a lot more.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Finished my class story on the warrior. Solid outing, up to chapter 3 on my operative, its funny seeing the interactions with republic story missions. Like on taris you visit two class story missions for republic classes in the knight and trooper.

Also having played a warrior up and an operative makes me appreciate my bounty hunter a lot more.

So you like the BH better than the other 2? Story wise, gameplay, or both? Did you go LS or DS?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Gameplay mostly, though story the BH wasn't bad at all, they felt like a neutral presence in the story showing you the shitty sides of both republic and imperial. Light side.

But its mostly that on my BH I don't feel GCD issues. I went with the tank version of the class single blaster, can't remember the name, but its just a fun class where I never seem to be struggling to stay alive or kill anything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone have any tips for a Lv65 Juggernaut Warrior trying out the solo version of the Eternal Championship? I made it about halfway and felt the matches were taking almost forever. Maybe it's because I haven't played my Warrior in over a year but I felt I should have been killing these guys a bit quicker then I was. Is the fact that I'm level-boosted to 70 a clue I should wait till then to try it out properly?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips for a Lv65 Juggernaut Warrior trying out the solo version of the Eternal Championship? I made it about halfway and felt the matches were taking almost forever. Maybe it's because I haven't played my Warrior in over a year but I felt I should have been killing these guys a bit quicker then I was. Is the fact that I'm level-boosted to 70 a clue I should wait till then to try it out properly?

When they upped the level cap to 70 I tried on my well-geared 65 and had a lot of trouble. It's better to wait util 70 because those fights are hard.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm level 64 and still on Voss. I can't bring myself to actually start KotFE and skip all the stories lol, despite how much I just wanna get to them.

• Options
    I just do class missions and heroics, I stopped planet questing at all.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Same here, though that's just because I've done every other mission literally a dozen times.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

Same here, though that's just because I've done every other mission literally a dozen times.

Oh me too. Like there is no reason for me to do them, I've done them all.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Suggestions on LS vs DS for the other classes? I've done the SW and JC as light side. I was thinking DS agent (still trying to decide between the adv classes) and DS Inquisitor. I figure JK is probably LS, and I was thinking about starting off DS and moving to LS with a Smuggler.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    If you go DS inquisitor, I highly recommend choosing female and going the murderous psychopath route. Her voice is so good at it.

Smuggler is best played as neutral/pragmatic, in my opinion, although that is probably annoying now with the silly DvL thing. Sometimes a good guy/gal, but ultimately looking out for numero uno.

Agent can be fun either way.

Bounty hunter as "just do the job" similar to smuggler. If your client wants them brought in alive, you bring them in alive. If they want them dead, you make 'em dead.

• Options
    Yeah the non force characters really don't make sense to go strictly one over another.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Before I went for the alignment achievements I just tried to play characters as "reasonable brave people". The problem is a lot of LS/DS decisions don't really make sense as having a LS/DS option, so they tack a stupid one on, so most of my "canon" characters I play end up about 80/20 light/dark.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    If you go DS inquisitor, I highly recommend choosing female and going the murderous psychopath route. Her voice is so good at it.

Smuggler is best played as neutral/pragmatic, in my opinion, although that is probably annoying now with the silly DvL thing. Sometimes a good guy/gal, but ultimately looking out for numero uno.

Bounty hunter as "just do the job" similar to smuggler. If your client wants them brought in alive, you bring them in alive. If they want them dead, you make 'em dead.

Much like DS inquisitor (go female), male bounty hunter is wonderful for a "bring 'em in dead, never alive" run.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Playing a Trooper and following direct orders leads to making a lot of Dark Side decisions. Before leaving Coruscant I started to wonder if I was going to have to arrest or kill Garza eventually.

• Options
    edited January 2017

Isn't the DvL thing just contributing towards one side or another? Not sure I care too much about that for the stories as it seems tied in with Command Points.

Sounds like a plan. I was planning on Female Inquisitor as I heard that about the voice actress and I didn't like any of the male romance options. Though me and my roommate liked the idea of a large twi'lek sorcerer with a luxury skiff mount. The idea of him being driven around, barking orders and shooting lighting at folks seemed pretty hysterical.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    Any thoughts about the Agent advanced classes?

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Any thoughts about the Agent advanced classes?

If you really like the cover system, go Sniper. If you hate it, go operative. Don't select your advance class until you know, even if it hampers you a bit for 4 or 5 levels.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Sniper's fun though a lot of it is 'get behind your portable cover to use your abilities effectively'. If you're not down for being a ranged turret more or less, you may want to look into the Operative which requires a lot more moving around up close to the enemy so you can stick oversized 'knives' in their backs. Also, some Operative abilities require you having a limited-time buff called Tactical Advantage which a couple of other abilities grant.
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Don't select your advance class until you know, even if it hampers you a bit for 4 or 5 levels.

KotET changed things so that you have to pick your Advanced Class in character-creation. So no waffling as a vanilla Agent anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOpQGIfoCWM

Here's the Agent class-progression video Bioware made before the game was released. It's not 100% accurate anymore but it still gives a good idea how you're gonna play as either AC.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    My wife likes the sniper but finds cover super frustrating. I like the Operative because you're up there fucking shit up. I went the poison based operative, so I drop dots and just open up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    You only need cover for a few sniper/gunslinger attacks now. So there's that.

• Options

Wouldn't that mess up your routine more? Like you'd forget you weren't in cover and be like "Shit not in cover." And miss out on a rotation?

Not that I'm super good at rotations since it took till 50+ for me to notice the knife aoe attack spreads aoes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Wouldn't that mess up your routine more? Like you'd forget you weren't in cover and be like "Shit not in cover." And miss out on a rotation?

Not that I'm super good at rotations since it took till 50+ for me to notice the knife aoe attack spreads aoes.

Not a bit. The keybind for "go into cover" just becomes part of your rotation. When you're doing ops you often have to move anyway.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I used one of my tokens on the gunslinger so I've played around with that class and love it. So many pew pew's! Of course I was going to go gunslinger as my smuggler, so if sniper and gunslinger are really similar, I'll take a look at the operative.

• Options
    Sniper and gunslinger are literally the same class with different animations.

• Options
    Though I can say the anims can be a deal breaker. Like power tech and vanguard are the same class, but it took me a while to synch up with the BH powers vs the vanguard ones because of the anims.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Ah! The chart below has been helpful. I'd assume if they match up ie SW/JK burst DPS and burst DPS, they are pretty much the same class.
    7BC9B33.png

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I haven't played in quite a while, but stealth is the way and the light for skipping past boring trash mobs, unless you're going through the new storyline content where they made trash mobs pop you out of stealth anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »
    I haven't played in quite a while, but stealth is the way and the light for skipping past boring trash mobs, unless you're going through the new storyline content where they made trash mobs pop you out of stealth anyway.

Yeah it makes playing the shadow/assassin and operative/scoundrel really fun compared to someone who has to fight a bunch of stuff. Like I would only kill a one group in the general quest area to see if there was a bonus before I just noped right through.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    hmmm just realized the Bounty Hunter is pistol only. Now I'm thinking about going Sniper and switching from gunslinger to scoundrel, just so I don't play 2 classes with pistols (Gunslinger and BH). Or maybe I'm way overthinking this haha.

• Options
    hmmm just realized the Bounty Hunter is pistol only. Now I'm thinking about going Sniper and switching from gunslinger to scoundrel, just so I don't play 2 classes with pistols (Gunslinger and BH). Or maybe I'm way overthinking this haha.

Having two pistol classes at least lets you know what pistols sound good.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    If you play your BH as a powertech, you'll barely even use the pistol. Other then the basic attack, I think all the pistol abilities have been moved over to the mercenary spec. I spend most of my fights punching stuff and spraying around flamethrowers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I like the sound of that! Looked up a powertech, looks good. Just going to need a break between it and my juggernaut as they seem similar with in your face play styles.

I looked up the guns you were talking about earlier with the spinning parts and they do look awesome but it seems like they came in a cartel pack.

Just finished my Jedi Consular story line. That sucker is on a wicked curve, chapter 1 was sooo bad, 2 got better, and 3 was great. The companions were pretty good, not sure about all the hate for Theron, he wasn't too bad. Nadia reminded me of LS Jaesa for the SW, the conversations just sort of stop and it didn't seem to have much depth (at least playing a female main). All the other companions had some sort of post main story 'hey we're sticking around'.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I like the sound of that! Looked up a powertech, looks good. Just going to need a break between it and my juggernaut as they seem similar with in your face play styles.

I looked up the guns you were talking about earlier with the spinning parts and they do look awesome but it seems like they came in a cartel pack.

Just finished my Jedi Consular story line. That sucker is on a wicked curve, chapter 1 was sooo bad, 2 got better, and 3 was great. The companions were pretty good, not sure about all the hate for Theron, he wasn't too bad. Nadia reminded me of LS Jaesa for the SW, the conversations just sort of stop and it didn't seem to have much depth (at least playing a female main). All the other companions had some sort of post main story 'hey we're sticking around'.

You can buy them on the AH, starforged blasters are like 200k or there abouts on my server. I think they were a fairly regular drop.

You didn't mind Theron? Man that's, how? HOW CAN YOU NOT MIND HIM!?

Skadge remains the worst companion. Like holy shit I can't stand him. If someone said they liked him, I'd unfriend them immediately.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I minded Theran less when I started thinking of him as Space Krieger.

• Options
    To me it was just annoying as he was the only healer at the time, which meant I had him with me for the majority of my shadow play through, and he hates like any jedi stuff. He's a jedi companion that hates you being a jedi, he's a jedi buzzkill.

His "Did I tell you I was a pacifist" line grated me so badly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It's not so much he hates you being a Jedi but more that he can't scientifically explain how Jedis' Force powers work.

• Options
    With my Sage I always used Qyzen, so I didn't have to bring Theron with me. IDK to me he was a type of character you don't see in Star Wars too often. Egotistical genius inventor who lives in the basement of my ship with his holographic GF. I liked him more than Iresso who was really boring, generic solder person for the female to romance. I think at least 3 of his conversations started off with 'I like it here'. Maybe because I didn't romance him, I didn't get the better dialog.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    With my Sage I always used Qyzen, so I didn't have to bring Theron with me. IDK to me he was a type of character you don't see in Star Wars too often. Egotistical genius inventor who lives in the basement of my ship with his holographic GF. I liked him more than Iresso who was really boring, generic solder person for the female to romance. I think at least 3 of his conversations started off with 'I like it here'. Maybe because I didn't romance him, I didn't get the better dialog.

Nah. He's just there. Consular gets the worst companions, because none of them are good even if none them are Skadge.