As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I miss the OP scarecrows.

I keep losing crops because i forgot they got nerfed. I try to fill in the gaps but always something slips through. I thought there was a patch that added the ability to see their coverage, or was that a mod?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    A fun end-game goal could be if you could buy out the old Joja building and property and build some improvements for the town.

Like, set up a chicken farm for Shane to run, or buying Penny a house, etc.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I keep losing crops because i forgot they got nerfed. I try to fill in the gaps but always something slips through. I thought there was a patch that added the ability to see their coverage, or was that a mod?

I haven't played since last February or March. Did they nerf the scarecrows with that big content patch, then?

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    How long do you lose your tools when they get upgraded? I have to do a crazy amount of watering as it is and need that copper can!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    How long do you lose your tools when they get upgraded? I have to do a crazy amount of watering as it is and need that copper can!

The day you drop it off and the next day.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

One full day. That is, if you hand over the tool on Day 1, Cliff works on it for Day 2, and you can pick it back up on Day 3.

So for watering cans, one way to do it is wait for rain to be forecast for tomorrow, water all your crops today, turn in the can, go pick it up the day after and do your watering then. Alternately, do your watering on the 27th (as needed), hand over your can, pick it back up on the 1st.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I believe it's two days after you bring it in. I remember my way of upgrading my water can was to check the weather forecast. If it was going to rain the next day, I'd water everything that needed it and then turn it in to get upgraded. It'd be out of commission the next day, but it wouldn't matter because of the rain. And then the day after that you can pick up your new watering can once the shop opens.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    You can also time it for the end of the month

water crops on day 27 and then give watering can to clint

collect crops on day 28, no need to water since everything will die when season changes

plant new crops on day 1, collect can from clint, water crops

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

I haven't played since last February or March. Did they nerf the scarecrows with that big content patch, then?

When the game first came out they had like, a 20 tile radius. Got dropped to about 8 in one of the early patches because you could basically cover the entire Tofy's MegaFarm Agricorp complex with 2 or 3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, re tool upgrades. The entire town shuts down on the day of a festival, even if it's not during the hours the festival takes place, so don't schedule your pick up or drop off for one of those days.

Also Clint is terrible at multitasking, so you can't process geodes or buy ore while he has one of your tools.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

One full day. That is, if you hand over the tool on Day 1, Cliff works on it for Day 2, and you can pick it back up on Day 3.

So for watering cans, one way to do it is wait for rain to be forecast for tomorrow, water all your crops today, turn in the can, go pick it up the day after and do your watering then. Alternately, do your watering on the 27th (as needed), hand over your can, pick it back up on the 1st.

Cool will do that. This is my first summer and i'm on day 22 and we have had zero rain.

I need to hit the spa to even complete my watering for the day because of the size of my garden.

• Options
    Yeah, the watering can is probably the most important first upgrade, since after you get your garden hoed it's your biggest consistent stamina drain.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    I love my forest farm - having access to hardwood early and not having to go to the Secret Woods was a major boon. However, I'm now running into some space concerns since I feel like I have so little farmable areas.

Any tips for maximizing space on the forest farm while still keeping up a barn and a coop with space for animals to roam? I know they aren't the most efficient for $$$ but I'm not giving them up!

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Yeah, the watering can is probably the most important first upgrade, since after you get your garden hoed it's your biggest consistent stamina drain.

I did not realize crops die when the seasons switch (spring to summer) over so i am heavily invested in corn right now.

Rows and rows and rows of corn.

Watering takes me till 3 p.m.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I use the forage seeds to reduce my stamina drain on the first of every season to nil. Starting at 6 days before the end of a season I start planting any empty spots with forage seeds. Then when the next season rolls around, instead of hoeing I just need to scythe a dead plant away, which takes not stamina. Sure it takes stamina when you hoe to plant the seeds, but you can spread it over a few days so the drain is more manageable.

It's a massive boon for spring especially, and it also means that upgrading your hoe can be your last priority, as you don't need it upgrades at all.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

I did not realize crops die when the seasons switch (spring to summer) over so i am heavily invested in corn right now.

Rows and rows and rows of corn.

Watering takes me till 3 p.m.
    The funny part of this is that corn will survive the summer to fall transition because it is a multi-season crop.

And also not a terribly great one.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I generally do not upgrade the watering can. It's pretty easy to get quality sprinklers by mid summer, at which point the can is irrelevant. I use the Spa in early summer up until I get sprinklers to deal with the energy cost of watering, and can generally make 5/10 levels in the mines with the time remaining.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I generally do not upgrade the watering can. It's pretty easy to get quality sprinklers by mid summer, at which point the can is irrelevant. I use the Spa in early summer up until I get sprinklers to deal with the energy cost of watering, and can generally make 5/10 levels in the mines with the time remaining.

I can't ever find enough coal to smelt any ore!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

It drops in abundant amounts when you hit the ice strata of the dungeon.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I can never make it to the dungeon because I'm busy/tired from watering. I cannot get sprinklers because I need coal from the dungeon etc...

In the fall or my next rainy day I will take a few cracks at it. I'm around L18 now.

Edit: Thanks for the advice!

Disco11 on
  • Options
    When you're running through the mines, be on the lookout for mine carts and backpacks. They generally have 6-10 coal in them. Geodes give coal pretty often, too.

camo_sig2.png

• Options

I can never make it to the dungeon because I'm busy/tired from watering. I cannot get sprinklers because I need coal from the dungeon etc...

In the fall or my next rainy day I will take a few cracks at it. I'm around L18 now.

It sounds like you may have overextended yourself farming wise. You're really meant to do a balance of things between farming, exploring the dungeon, fishing, and socializing with farming taking up the most but not all of the time.

If you're doing that much farming early though, you may be making enough money to buy coal and ore directly from Clint for at least the lowest tier of sprinklers though that won't help with the refined quartz you need for the middle tier ones.

But also keep an eye for the trader in the wagon in the forest who shows up on Friday and Sunday. Sometimes she has sprinklers available.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options

It sounds like you may have overextended yourself farming wise. You're really meant to do a balance of things between farming, exploring the dungeon, fishing, and socializing with farming taking up the most but not all of the time.

If you're doing that much farming early though, you may be making enough money to buy coal and ore directly from Clint for at least the lowest tier of sprinklers though that won't help with the refined quartz you need for the middle tier ones.

But also keep an eye for the trader in the wagon in the forest who shows up on Friday and Sunday. Sometimes she has sprinklers available.

Never even knew about the trader!

I totally overextended myself but now I have a good cash base to build on for the fall so hopefully I can dig a bit deeper into the dungeon.

Trying to diversify and just finished the chicken coop but i think that's as far as I am going to go for a while with animals.

• Options

Never even knew about the trader!

I totally overextended myself but now I have a good cash base to build on for the fall so hopefully I can dig a bit deeper into the dungeon.

Trying to diversify and just finished the chicken coop but i think that's as far as I am going to go for a while with animals.

The other thing to watch for on the trader is a void egg. That will be useful to hatch when you get the upgraded coop.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It's also possible to get free void eggs... VIA STRANGE AND MYSTERIOUS METHODS. *magic fingers*

I agree with upgrading the watering can first, but tbh I give it the first upgrade and then focus on the ax and pick. If you are balancing your daily activities well, you can craft standard sprinklers pretty damn early, and I find that to be a much better investment than another watering can upgrade. They're not very good sprinklers compared to the other types, and yet:

--Not too costly, allows early spamming of crops, which means no time investment on watering (but still some on harvesting, natch)
    --Gives you more time for scavenging/fishing/mining/lumberjacking
    --Lets you focus on ax/pick upgrades for better materials and accessing new areas earlier

At least that's how I did it on my second playthrough, and the returns in both time and money were tremendous.

Don't forget to tap those trees ASAP! You need that resin for kegs, son! Kegs is how you become a gazillionaire!

*edit*

Ooh! Another tip! When you get around to building a couple of crab pots, keep at least a few in the ponds on your farm. They will occasionally spit out junk, including broken discs and broken glasses. SAVE THE BROKEN DISCS AND GLASSES. There is a machine that will turn them into refined quartz, which you will need for some advanced recipes later or can be sold. This is fer sher the easiest way to get refined quartz.

WordLust on
  • Options
    WordLust wrote: »
    It's also possible to get free void eggs... VIA STRANGE AND MYSTERIOUS METHODS. *magic fingers*

I agree with upgrading the watering can first, but tbh I give it the first upgrade and then focus on the ax and pick. If you are balancing your daily activities well, you can craft standard sprinklers pretty damn early, and I find that to be a much better investment than another watering can upgrade. They're not very good sprinklers compared to the other types, and yet:

--Not too costly, allows early spamming of crops, which means no time investment on watering (but still some on harvesting, natch)
    --Lets you focus on ax/pick upgrades for better materials and accessing new area

At least that's how I did it on my second playthrough, and the returns in both time and money were tremendous.

Don't forget to tap those trees ASAP! You need that resin for kegs, son! Kegs is how you become a gazillionaire!

Not enough copper bars. Have 2 x going on pine and a oak ATM.

Have a whole bunch of maples planted in a row just waiting for them to grow.

Also have a few fruit trees that I clearly underestimated the grow time on. are they worth it long term?

• Options

--Lets you focus on ax/pick upgrades for better materials and accessing new area

Also have a few fruit trees that I clearly underestimated the grow time on. are they worth it long term?

They don't really pay off until you've had then asking long enough to get whole month of production. But fruit every day with no watering is nice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Fruit trees each take one entire season to grow (they don't grow in winter), but after that:

--no longer require growth
    --no watering or other maintenance required
    --produce every day for an entire season
    --last forever

You get max profit from fruits from trees once you have kegs or preserves jars and can turn it into wine or juice or jam. I wouldn't get into trees right away, IMO. The description of the tree seeds tell you which season they will produce. You have to plan ahead for trees if you want to start getting returns on them asap. (For example, if the tree produces in spring, trees don't grow in winter, so plant that shit on the first day of fall or mid-summer.)

*edit*

Another tip for the mines and farming coal. Once you get a certain distance into the mine, it unlocks access to that area via the elevator. The floors of the mine randomly populate upon your entering them. So what I will do is find a floor of the mine where those little coal-dropping sprites appear, and I will pop into that floor and see if there are a bunch of sprites. If not? Exit the mine via ladder, immediately take the elevator back to that floor, then check: are their sprites? If not: repeat until I get sprites.

Basically there are a couple of floors in the mine where you can quickly force the floor to re-roll itself a bunch of times quickly until it maximizes your profit from it. I do this mostly for farming coal and later gold.

WordLust on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Smoogy wrote: »
    I love my forest farm - having access to hardwood early and not having to go to the Secret Woods was a major boon. However, I'm now running into some space concerns since I feel like I have so little farmable areas.

Any tips for maximizing space on the forest farm while still keeping up a barn and a coop with space for animals to roam? I know they aren't the most efficient for $$$ but I'm not giving them up!

Remember that one of the patches let you build buildings on areas that aren't farmable as long as it's still clear ground.
    :edit: and you can also axe away some of the bush things

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options

Fruit trees each take one entire season to grow (they don't grow in winter), but after that:

--last forever

You get max profit from fruits from trees once you have kegs or preserves jars and can turn it into wine or juice or jam. I wouldn't get into trees right away, IMO. The description of the tree seeds tell you which season they will produce. You have to plan ahead for trees if you want to start getting returns on them asap. (For example, if the tree produces in spring, trees don't grow in winter, so plant that shit on the first day of fall or mid-summer.)

*edit*

Another tip for the mines and farming coal. Once you get a certain distance into the mine, it unlocks access to that area via the elevator. The floors of the mine randomly populate upon your entering them. So what I will do is find a floor of the mine where those little coal-dropping sprites appear, and I will pop into that floor and see if there are a bunch of sprites. If not? Exit the mine via ladder, immediately take the elevator back to that floor, then check: are their sprites? If not: repeat until I get sprites.

Basically there are a couple of floors in the mine where you can quickly force the floor to re-roll itself a bunch of times quickly until it maximizes your profit from it. I do this mostly for farming coal and later gold.

Fruit trees do grow in winter, unless it was patched out. It's the normal (Pine, Maple, Oak) trees that don't grow in the winter.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

--last forever

*edit*

Fruit trees do grow in winter, unless it was patched out. It's the normal (Pine, Maple, Oak) trees that don't grow in the winter.

My bad! You could be right!

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    I spent an inordinate amount of time playing this weekend. My new max-upgraded house almost has a full cellar of casks aging starfruit wine now. Just about to hit summer Year 2 (second playthrough). I am loving trying to min/max as much as possible! Starting to work on a crystalarium farm in the quarry now too. All while building up my ancient fruit greenhouse, slowly but surely.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    I had no idea the mine carts in the mine had a bunch of coal in them.

1st day of fall and have a ton of work to do around the old homestead but with upgraded tools! My chickens are digging the little enclosure so they can self feed with grass and are laying eggs at a steady clip.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Man this game is straight digital crack. I'm nearing the end of summer and i find myself playing until 2am on work nights etc.

• Options
    So once you woo someone and get them to marry you... What exactly do they do?

Like, do they help on the farm?

• Options
    edited January 2017

-Sleep in the same bed as you ;-)

-Adds a small wing onto the bedroom of the fully upgraded house that is unique to the interests of whatever spouse you marry.

-If you talk to them every morning they will occasionally make you breakfast. A free quality meal that you can eat (or gift to someone else) without wasting any of your own ingredients.

-Will sometimes water some of your crops for you, but this is useless if you are using sprinklers, which most people obviously are.

-Changes the lines/interactions your spouse has with you at holidays/events.

-You can kiss/hug your spouse (I think it's supposed to be a hug, but it also kinda looks like a kiss so whatever one you think it is). If you repeatedly spam the kiss/hug command all at once, they get mad at you, though, lol.

-Eventually you will make babies, if you agree to it. You can keep the babies or sacrifice them to a dark altar.

-Figure out who your competition in town was before you married them, then eat the breakfast your spouse cooked for you in front of them like "mmmmmm, sorry if I look tired, I was up aaallll night, if ya know what I mean".

-Mostly just for fun, though

WordLust on
  • Options

Occasionally they'll have watered your crops by the time you wake up but chances are you already have a sprinkler system covering all your crops by the time you get married. They sometimes also give you food or coffee. There's a one time gift of the permanent stat boost when they're happy enough too.

And at some point you'll have a chance to make babies with your spouse. Creepy children who will never age past a certain point and remain trapped in their larval forms forever.

Also, your grandfather thinks you're a loser if you're not married after a few years.

Steam Profile
  • Options

-Adds a small wing onto the bedroom of the fully upgraded house that is unique to the interests of whatever spouse you marry.

-If you talk to them every morning they will occasionally make you breakfast. A free quality meal that you can eat (or gift to someone else) without wasting any of your own ingredients.

-Will sometimes water some of your crops for you, but this is useless if you are using sprinklers, which most people obviously are.

-You can kiss/hug your spouse (I think it's supposed to be a hug, but it also kinda looks like a kiss so whatever one you think it is). If you repeatedly spam the kiss/hug command all at once, they get mad at you, though, lol.

-Eventually you will make babies, if you agree to it. You can keep the babies or sacrifice them to a dark altar.

-Figure out who your competition in town was before you married them, then eat the breakfast your spouse cooked for you in front of them like "mmmmmm, sorry if I look tired, I was up aaallll night, if ya know what I mean".

Man... you think you know a game ...

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Your spouse will also eventually give you a stardrop (the item that permanently increases your stamina, not starfruit) if you get a sufficiently high affection - I've seen it described as 13/12 hearts, though the UI never shows more than 12 hearts.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Man... you think you know a game ...

TBF, I think that was a request from players, to be able to get rid of their children and go back to the single life, and it was just implemented in a "whimsical" way.