As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOP Primary: Mass Hysteria

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited March 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
What-is-Super-Tuesday-2.jpg

The Polls say: Drumpf, Drumpf, and more Drumpf

We welcome our new Drumpf overlords.

Be polite. No conversations what aren't on topic and such and whatnot. Eat at Arby's.

Atomika on

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I was promised blackjack and hookers.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular

This is an election year. You will be promised a lot of things.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

I've got the best blackjack there is, just you wait

And the greatest hookers in the world

they're gonna be yuge

biggest hookers you ever saw

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So who is make or break on Tuesday? I can't see either Cruz or Rubio getting out, regardless of the outcome.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Kasich is probably in until Ohio on March 15, hoping there is a surprise jump for him in most states while Cruz falters in the south and Carson tanks in Florida. I have no idea what is going on over in Dimension Carson.

Absalon on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    So who is make or break on Tuesday? I can't see either Cruz or Rubio getting out, regardless of the outcome.

I think you can call the GOP. I think the Democratic side is close to done, but Sanders could still take a serious bite out of Clinton. The media is calling it after South Carolina, but this is the same media that has been declaring Rubiomentum for weeks.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

I've got the best blackjack there is, just you wait

And the greatest hookers in the world

they're gonna be yuge

biggest hookers you ever saw

I once stabbed a hooker with a knife and hit her on the head with a hammer. Then I went down to the blackjack table, where these guys cleaned me out. But then I got seventeen straight flushes in a row. Then they recognized me and were happy, and stopped the game to give me my money back.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    Kasich is probably in until Ohio. I have no idea what is going on over in Dimension Carson.

In Dimension Carson, he's already President.

sig.gif
  • Options

Cruz and Rubio need big delegate wins if they hope to make up any ground. Cruz may pull some in Texas, but likely little else. Rubio's best shot was in Florida, where he's currently about 20 points back.

Honestly, if this thing turns out like I expect, everyone should be effectively mathematically eliminated except Trump.

Will that stop Rubio or Cruz? No idea. It wouldn't surprise me if they kept going. Cruz, in particular, gets off on banging his head against a brick wall.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I think you can call the GOP. I think the Democratic side is close to done, but Sanders could still take a serious bite out of Clinton. The media is calling it after South Carolina, but this is the same media that has been declaring Rubiomentum for weeks.

Yeah, the Media is all about the Rubes.

• Options
    Richy wrote: »
    Kasich is probably in until Ohio. I have no idea what is going on over in Dimension Carson.

You want to see human tragedy? Google dive back for press articles about Carson before he started running for president.

It's like if the Dalai Lama won the lottery and blew it all on hookers and yachts. Never before has a man lost so much respect in so little time.

• Options
    If anything, the establishment might be prodding Rubio to stay in after Tuesday just to drink Cruz's milkshake. Scuttlebutt now says that Washington thinks they can at least play ball with Trump, but Cruz is both an idiot and an ideologue.

• Options

You want to see human tragedy? Google dive back for press articles about Carson before he started running for president.

It's like if the Dalai Lama won the lottery and blew it all on hookers and yachts. Never before has a man lost so much respect in so little time.

Meh. Pretty typical for any neophyte who jumps to the big leagues without being vetted first.

Carson fell apart like a cornbread turd the second anyone gave him the side-eye.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    they're basically calling the dem side for the same reason they said rubio was the 'real' winner: the outcomes vs. the polls. SC was even more in clinton's favor than expected and sander's needed that momentum. likewise rubio outperforming polls matters for a bit, right up until it doesn't anymore (which will be tuesday most likely, unless he outperforms expectations by a lot in several states)

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    One thing I don't understand. Everyone says Cruz is hated across the aisle, that no other senator will work with him or endorse him.

And that he's responsible for the government shutdown.

How are both these things true at the same time? How can one senator alone with everyone against him shut down the government?

sig.gif
  • Options
    One thing I don't understand. Everyone says Cruz is hated across the aisle, that no other senator will work with him or endorse him.

How are both these things true at the same time? How can one senator alone with everyone against him shut down the government?

He wrangled up a coalition of morons before everyone figured out how big a piece of shit he was. Then when the leadership saw what a turdbasket he was, they cast him out of their good graces, and that's when Cruz thought his best response was to start working against his own party.

• Options
    I mean, I can see Rubio staying in to be "next" if Republicans still care about that anymore. Cruz just has too much hate going on to pull that off, I think.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    If Cruz wasn't so hated, everybody would have consolidated around him after he won Iowa and the race would be still sort of competitive.

But now? This is over.

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Kasich is probably in until Ohio on March 15, hoping there is a surprise jump for him in most states while Cruz falters in the south and Carson tanks in Florida. I have no idea what is going on over in Dimension Carson.

At this point I'm pretty sure Carson is waiting for Trump to win the nomination, after which he'll stab Trump in an attempt to take over the title.

Unfortunately for Carson, Trump will be wearing a YUUUUUUGE belt-buckle, which will deflect the blow, proving that Ben Carson had been telling the truth this whole time. He will then proceed with decapitating a startled Ben Carson, whose last world will be: "NOT AGAIN!".

As Ben Carson's head rolls at Trumps feet, the Donald's rise to power will be complete.

trump_carson_highlander_roles_reversed_fixed.jpg

notdroid on
  • Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    If Cruz wasn't so hated, everybody would have consolidated around him after he won Iowa and the race would be still sort of competitive.

But now? This is over.

Predictwise and PredictIt are agreeing with you despite Trump being mentioned together with Mussolini and David Duke within 24 hours.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

There was a lot of saber rattling going on about it before he took the reins, and he's usually cited as being a large part of taking it too far instead of the 11th hour negotiation like they wanted.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Cruz and Rubio need big delegate wins if they hope to make up any ground. Cruz may pull some in Texas, but likely little else. Rubio's best shot was in Florida, where he's currently about 20 points back.

Honestly, if this thing turns out like I expect, everyone should be effectively mathematically eliminated except Trump.

Will that stop Rubio or Cruz? No idea. It wouldn't surprise me if they kept going. Cruz, in particular, gets off on banging his head against a brick wall.

On Maddow's program last week she presented some "back of the envelope math" from her people which stated that neither Cruz nor Rubio can actually secure the 51% delegates needed anymore, based on delegates already assigned and states where polling isn't even remotely close (landslide Trump states).

They can only drive it to convention, where it will likely be handed to Rubio but also cause a major GOP controversy that will damage voter faith in the party.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I should add that for Hillary to lose PA she would have to pull a Milliband and the whole map would look pretty ugly.

The AFL-CIO declined to endorse Clinton, partially because the leadership were split between her and Sanders but mostly because the vast majority of the rank and file were for Trump. That's worrisome when it comes to Pennsylvania and Ohio.

This is the second time you've said this without posting a link for a pretty important claim. I cannot find things to back this up, and none of the stories about it mention anything about it.

And basically if Latinos go 80-20 driven by Trump's hatred and Clinton is as strong with the African-American community as South Carolina indicated (and when the President starts campaigning for the Democratic nominee...) the GOP has to win something absurd like 70% of the white vote nationwide to be competitive. That's simply not happening.

New York Times did a pretty big story on the phenomenon. I've seen mentions of union member support for Trump other places, as well.'' As for the "vast majority", I'll admit that came from a tweet earlier in the week by a journalist, so sourcing could be better.

I wish I had your confidence on the general election.

You'll note a total lack of numbers in that story. There's no real evidence there that Democratic union members are moving towards Trump in a general election matchup. There's some evidence that white dudes will vote for Trump, but that's like every election.

Let's put it this way. An uninspiring but most of the time not comically racist super rich guy was beaten easily by a black incumbent President with 8% unemployment. Now Obama is a gifted politician, so that accounts for some of it, but a lot of it is demographics. It's very hard for Republicans to win right now.

The idea here is that the couple sops to populism and opposition to TPP will overcome an increasingly strong economy, institutional distrust, being utterly clueless (Clinton especially would make him look like a fool in debates), and of course all the racism. I do not buy it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I mean, I can see Rubio staying in to be "next" if Republicans still care about that anymore. Cruz just has too much hate going on to pull that off, I think.

Here's the race the Establishment expected to see:

1st place - Jeb Bush redeems the family name and affirms years of political wisdom that he is the "smart Bush." The polls show that he has a clear path to victory after Tuesday, but I think it is safe to call it now.

2nd place - Marco Rubio, Jeb's former protege, introduces personal drama and youthful vigor in the campaign. It has been a hard fight, with sore feelings on both sides, but he has done well on his inaugural run and everyone expects that Jeb and he will mend fences. Expect a powerful position for him in the Bush III White House. Rubio '24?

3rd place - Ted Cruz, the evangelical's favorite candidate. He has pushed hard for a family values President in the White House, and his message has been headed by everyone in the race. He will be an important ally in the Senate for President Bush.

The rest of the GOP field - At home watching watching the race with the rest of America.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

The House is full of radical nutjobs like him, and they followed him.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

On Maddow's program last week she presented some "back of the envelope math" from her people which stated that neither Cruz nor Rubio can actually secure the 51% delegates needed anymore, based on delegates already assigned and states where polling isn't even remotely close (landslide Trump states).

They can only drive it to convention, where it will likely be handed to Rubio but also cause a major GOP controversy that will damage voter faith in the party.

I know. I love it. I love that Rubio's only tack now is a path that will without a doubt cause an unrecoverable schism in the party.

• Options

He isn't 100% hated in the House, where he is the shining leader of the crazy teaper minority. He has to hang out with house reps because he truly is without friends in the senate.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

There was a lot of saber rattling going on about it before he took the reins, and he's usually cited as being a large part of taking it too far instead of the 11th hour negotiation like they wanted.

For example, his "gamesmanship" in 2014 let Reid push through a large number of federal judiciary appointments, which has altered the lean of the federal bench.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited February 2016

If it goes brokered Trump will either go independent or a bunch of immigration zealots will stay home anyway, and Trump will spend months directing his herd to bray and scream at the GOP. It will be a gigantic, extremely well-covered shouting match where a big portion of the party will be spending all of its time calling the rest a bunch of traitors and "wetback lovers". It would be disastrous and demoralizing, if also energizing in some perverse way.

Absalon on
  • Options

I know. I love it. I love that Rubio's only tack now is a path that will without a doubt cause an unrecoverable schism in the party.

This would actually be the ideal scenario for Democrats.

Not a Trump nomination, but a Trump 45-49% majority leading to a convention in which Rubio was handed the nom by the party leadership. In this scenario, Rubio wouldn't be a tough candidate at all. He would be destroyed in the general by angry Trump supporters who would surely stay home in large numbers rather than vote for Rubio. That could also end his future Presidential aspirations, whereas if he is simply defeated here and Trump is defeated in the general, he will certainly show up again and possibly with the actual support of the base next time.

• Options
    This would actually be the ideal scenario for Democrats America.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Even if Rubio shot Donald Trump onstage at the convention and stole the nomination I don't think that Trump supporters would stay home and let Hillary walk to the White House.

I think we're going to see a Trump/Rubio ticket come out of the convention looking to pick a fight.

• Options
    Bunch of landslide Trump victories say that a brokered convention isn't happening.

Also, the establishment can always lay low, hope that Clinton wins, and then sell the Senate as a way to keep her in check.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Why isn't anybody talking about Kasich? There was a poll once where he beat Clinton by eleven percent!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    When was the last time either party picked a candidate that didn't have the majority of the votes?

• Options
    Would the establishment do that or take the loss and Trump this year to preserve the party as a whole?

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    Why isn't anybody talking about Kasich? There was a poll once where he beat Clinton by eleven percent!

The answer to your question is found below:
    30F40AFF00000578-3435583-image-a-40_1454812320808.jpg

• Options
    First, Trump disavowed David Duke when he was hanging around with Christie:

Second, Trump just has it too easy:

Bunch of tweets hitting Rubio right now.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Even if Rubio shot Donald Trump onstage at the convention and stole the nomination I don't think that Trump supporters would stay home and let Hillary walk to the White House.

I think we're going to see a Trump/Rubio ticket come out of the convention looking to pick a fight.

Then Clinton can just go with "Here's Trump raining shit on Rubio. Now he decided 'Little Rubio' is fit for the presidency, and Rubio decided to kiss the ring of the man he has called an idiotic scumbag for a sniff of power. Both are either lying hypocrites or has garbage judgment and no dignity."

Maybe Kasich. Maaayyybe Christie (bad favorables). Maybe some establishment darling governor or congressperson, or some popular minority conservative from who knows where.

Absalon on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I was thinking, all this trying to Trump it up is going to hurt Rubios image. He should of slowly slinked off a while ago, before he risked becoming Jeb! 2.0. 2020 should be his new target. Let Trump and Cruz fail, then run on a platform that the party has gone too far right and needs to get back to the center. That he will bring in the moderates while defending conservative values.

Or the Right could lose this year and go even further off the cliff in 2020. I swore after 2012 the lesson of "get back to the center" would of been learned.

This discussion has been closed.