As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SCOTUS]: Super Fun Happy Times Edition

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Also Garland was a qualified choice but he wasn't like the next RGB. It isn't really an equivalent exchange.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm going to advise against making any deals with people who don't believe in the concept of Good Faith. This is a terrible idea.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Centrist wankery is always a trap.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Yes, let's solve the problem of the republicans stealing a nomination by giving them two nominations. That sounds like a great deal.

The concept of the court being apolitical has obviously been dead for a good long while, but this would certainly be an interesting way to set fire to that particular corpse of an idea.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Here's the only deal I would accept:

You install Garland first, right now. Then one of the conservative judges can retire (NOT KENNEDY), and we'll install your guy. So Thomas, Alito, Roberts take your pick.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    Here's the only deal I would accept:

You install Garland first, right now. Then one of the conservative judges can retire (NOT KENNEDY), and we'll install your guy. So Thomas, Alito, Roberts take your pick.

this has to be contingent on Thomas going

Gorsuch > Thomas for sure

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    (this is all pie in the sky though, any deal sets even more horrible precedents, plus it's impossible to make deals with dishonest hypocritical liars)

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Here's a deal: they get Gorsuch in Scalia's seat, RGB picks her own replacement.

Here's another deal: they don't get to pick anybody, fuck them.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The deal worked on the West Wing because they had a hard right and a hard left justice replacing a hard left and a hard right justice. The goal was to avoid filling the court with nothing but centrist moderates.

But Garland is already a centrist moderate (whom the Republicans suggested). It's a crap deal.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The deal worked on the West Wing because they had a hard right and a hard left justice replacing a hard left and a hard right justice. The goal was to avoid filling the court with nothing but centrist moderates.

But Garland is already a centrist moderate (whom the Republicans suggested). It's a crap deal.

I don't recall what the situation was like in the 90s but does anybody look at SCOTUS now and think that the problem is that there are too many moderates?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Okay, so maybe I'm misreading the assumptions here, but that says that Garland would get a nomination.

... what if he doesn't get confirmed?

"ooops, now we have Gorsuch and need someone else" and the obvious next candidate in line is the conservativiest conservative that ever conserved.

This feels like a trap, though presumably I'm not the only one with that reaction.

Udall suggests that the resignation be contingent on Garland's confirmation. It's a good idea and if it happened, I would be satisfied.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Okay, so maybe I'm misreading the assumptions here, but that says that Garland would get a nomination.

"ooops, now we have Gorsuch and need someone else" and the obvious next candidate in line is the conservativiest conservative that ever conserved.

This feels like a trap, though presumably I'm not the only one with that reaction.

Udall suggests that the resignation be contingent on Garland's confirmation. It's a good idea and if it happened, I would be satisfied.

I don't agree that setting the precedent that SCOTUS nominees are political tools deals should be made over is a good idea.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Also I don't for a split second trust an elected Republican to hold up their end of the bargain at this point.

• Options
    Well the plan as laid out does have Garland on the Court before the hypothetical nominee would resign so there isn't an obvious FU point ahead of that. I guess they could always move to impeach after the fact.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So it would basically be:

Withdraw Gorsuch
    Re-nominate Garland
    Confirm Garland
    Someone else resigns
    Re-nominate Gorsuch
    Confirm Gorsuch

I can't imagine such a deal making it through the GOP.

As I heard somewhere once, if you're a thief you suspect everyone else is stealing from you. They'd be counting on the Democrats to backstab them after Garland was on the bench

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    It's at least a novel approach ... or would have been if it hadn't been on a TV show.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

That doesn't sound like something you can actually do, though. Whoever resigns has to resign before anybody can be confirmed, right?

If not that would be a different ridiculous problem whereby Congress could nominate and confirm people and have them, like, waiting in the wings for a seat.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    i'm pretty much entirely resistant to the idea of rewarding the Republicans' bullshit obstruction and thwarting of their responsibiities with any form of compromise at this point, to be honest

we tried compromise across the board in Obama's first term and it just made them double down on their bullshit

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i'm pretty much entirely resistant to the idea of rewarding the Republicans' bullshit obstruction and thwarting of their responsibiities with any form of compromise at this point, to be honest

we tried compromise across the board in Obama's first term and it just made them double down on their bullshit

Let's say you're the Senate Minority Leader.

What is your goal for SCOTUS noms? What does your preferred process look like, given that we can't go back in time?
    What actions can you take in service to the goal?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

What is your goal for SCOTUS noms? What does your preferred process look like, given that we can't go back in time?

The goal would be to get a vote on Garland

• Options

resist and obstruct

that's how the senate minority is apparently supposed to act now

the two choices now are to go along with the Republicans or to not go along with the Republicans. if they're going to have de facto rule of the government, I'd rather they be resisted at every turn than simply acquiesced to

• Options

resist and obstruct

the two choices now are to go along with the Republicans or to not go along with the Republicans. if they're going to have de facto rule of the government, I'd rather they be resisted at every turn than simply acquiesced to

Eh. We don't have the numbers they did nor do we have the party line discipline. It is very unlikely meaningful opposition is something that could actually be accomplished.

They can showboat (and probably should from a PR standpoint) but it wouldn't accomplish much since they only have the final filibuster point where they have any even theoretical ability to obstruct.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Man, imagine if RBG agreed to resign after Garland gets a seat.

And then just didn't resign after Garland got a seat.

• Options
    no, the damage is already done, the Republicans have full control of the government and there is nearly nothing that can be done about it for at least two years

i see absolutely no reason not to make a show of resistance, futile though it actually is

i think this is straying off topic though

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Garland and Gorsuch sounds like the New Yorker variant of Goofus and Gallant.

I propose a series of humorous illustrations.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

resist and obstruct

Eh. We don't have the numbers they did nor do we have the party line discipline. It is very unlikely meaningful opposition is something that could actually be accomplished.

They can showboat (and probably should from a PR standpoint) but it wouldn't accomplish much since they only have the final filibuster point where they have any even theoretical ability to obstruct.

We have *more* than they did for quite a while.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    no, the damage is already done, the Republicans have full control of the government and there is nearly nothing that can be done about it for at least two years

i see absolutely no reason not to make a show of resistance, futile though it actually is

i think this is straying off topic though

I mean the pubs refused to move on it for 1 year, what's wrong with stalling for 2 more? :rotate:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

resist and obstruct

Which number are you referring to here?

Because last session they had us 54 senators to 46 (ish). Now they have us 52 to 48 (ish). So unless you're doing some sort of alternative facts thing here I do not follow what you mean.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

resist and obstruct

Because last session they had us 54 senators to 46 (ish). Now they have us 52 to 48 (ish). So unless you're doing some sort of alternative facts thing here I do not follow what you mean.

He means when we had a majority in the senate for Obama's first term.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

resist and obstruct

He means when we had a majority in the senate for Obama's first term.

When all of Obama's Supreme Court choices pretty much sailed through in roughly average time?

That seems like way more an argument for what I'm saying then.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    1. The GOP will backstab you every time.
    2. Trump ain't never going to go along with it. He makes "the best picks, the best people", and you will never convince him to put up Obama's guy.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Again, depending on who the retiree is in this scenario, it's a pretty bum deal for Dems anyway.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

That doesn't sound like something you can actually do, though. Whoever resigns has to resign before anybody can be confirmed, right?

If not that would be a different ridiculous problem whereby Congress could nominate and confirm people and have them, like, waiting in the wings for a seat.

You can have as many people on SCOTUS as you want so there would be no waiting in the wings, FYI. If somebody "betrayed" based on this deal it just results in a slightly packed court.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

You can have as many people on SCOTUS as you want so there would be no waiting in the wings, FYI. If somebody "betrayed" based on this deal it just results in a slightly packed court.

Existing law says SCOTUS is to have 9 members.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

Congress can't bind Congress; it isn't an enforceable law so much as document saying 9 is totes the standard number.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Congress can't bind Congress; it isn't an enforceable law so much as document saying 9 is totes the standard number.

"Can't bind congress" has never meant congress doesn't have to follow the law. It means congress can choose to change the law anytime it wants.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Once a norm is broken, it cannot be restored. Therefore Dems should not act as if the norm were still in place and should never allow a vote until the filibuster is eliminated.

It's also why you don't break the fucking norms, Mitch McConnnell.

• Options

"Can't bind congress" has never meant congress doesn't have to follow the law. It means congress can choose to change the law anytime it wants.

If they were required to have 9 justices, they would have already been in violation.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Also it worked on the TV show because it's a damn TV show.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Also it worked on the TV show because it's a damn TV show.

The show was overly optimistic when it was on the air in general. In the current climate it is laughably absurd during its most reasonable and honest moments. Sorkin is definitely not the model for the current system.

This discussion has been closed.