As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley - Join us. Thrive.

MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNBREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
edited March 2016 in Social Entropy++
Do you ever find yourself down in the dumps about modern life? Everything is just so stressful and busy all the time, you never get a chance to relax and appreciate the great outdoors. Well you're in luck, your grandfather just died. No wait, come back! He went peacefully (I think), and he left you the deed to his farm. That's right, you're movin' to Pelican Town in Stardew Valley!

Main_Logo.png

What's there to do in Stardew Valley? Well, there's farming. Grow all kinds of crops across the four seasons. Cultivate (see what I did there) relationships with the various townspeople, and even bone some of them, regardless of gender! There's a guy that looks like Fabio, that's kind of funny, although most of the guys in the game look like total goobers.

There's also a very, very, very deep mine that seems to have mysterious and spooky monsters lurking within. And you can fish!

Unfortunately there's some conflict in good ol' Pelican Town. The once-rad community center has fallen into disrepair and the basically Wal-Mart Crossed With Coca Cola company Joja Corporation is trying to move in on their turf. Will you work with the weird little forest spirits to restore the community center or be a tool of THE MAN and join Joja Corp? It's up to you! But seriously, don't join Joja Corp.

Look, basically it's Harvest Moon But Not. It's real good, and surprisingly addicting.

Anyway, it's a real fun game and a lot of people here are into it. I'll add more to this post when I've got a bit more time.

Stardew Valley Wiki

Moriveth on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I LOVE JOJA CORP. JOJA MART IS WHERE I GO FOR THE BEST PRICES AND VALUE. JOJA COLA IS SO REFRESHING. JOJA.NET IS MY PORTAL TO THE LATEST NEWS AND CELEBRITY GOSSIP, IT'S JUST SO MUCH FUN.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I hear they give out coupons!
    For real, Morris is a nerdo

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ELLIOT YOU ASKED FOR THIS FUCKING FISH NOW OPEN YOUR GODDAMN DOOR AND TAKE IT

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Seriously what does Elliot do

all I see him do is stare across the bridge and then go back inside his house

oh my god

is Elliot a heroin addict

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I like harvest moon games and I bet I would like this. Wish it was on 3ds!

• Options
    Oh god, Elliot's schedule on the wiki
    Daily routine is the same unless it's raining, in which case, he'll be a shut in.

Sunday

12:00 PM -- Emerges from cabin, presumably with hangover, to stand around on the beach and gaze wistfully at the ocean

1:30 PM -- Feeling the fresh salty wind blowing in from the ocean wasn't going to cure his poor decision-making on Saturday night, he returns to his cabin to cry himself back to sleep

3:00 PM -- After a catnap and a hot shower, he returns to the bridge to stare wistfully across the river

6:00 PM -- Bored of contemplating life on the bridge, he returns to the cabin for more brooding

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday

11:30 AM -- Emerges from cabin after an ungodly amount of sleep and makes his way towards the river, standing just south of Leah's cabin

6:00 PM -- After an spending an obscene amount of time staring at the river, he returns to his dank bachelor pad on the beach for further brooding

Thursday

11:30 AM -- After another night of sleep-brooding, he resurfaces and heads to Pierre's, where he stands and broods at one of the shelves

5:30 PM -- After ensuring the produce feels properly brooded at, he returns to his cabin on the beach

Friday

3:00 pm -- Emerges from cabin and heads towards bridge, where he stares wistfully across the river

6:00 pm -- Leaves bridge and heads back to cabin for mass amounts of brooding

Saturday

11:30 AM -- Leaves his cabin to go brood at the side of the river near Leah's cabin

6:00 PM -- Returns to his cabin for further brooding

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Seriously what does Elliot do

all I see him do is stare across the bridge and then go back inside his house

oh my god

is Elliot a heroin addict

elliot is farming for nature's own cure all

crystallized methamphetamines

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I went into Joja Mart one time and thought it was creepy and left and never went back in

Forest spirits for liiiiiiiife

I really, really dig the splotches of darkness around the edge of the metaphorical frame in this game. The encroaching corporate force; Shane getting drunk alone on the lake pier in the middle of the night, ruminating about his life's failures; Pam having some pretty obvious alcohol issues; Linus being homeless and struggling to get by and dreading winter. The fact that some folks are Dealing With Some Shit makes everything feel a lot more vibrant and alive, since that's how life is.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Also the bits of light pushing back the darkness. Like Gus helping Linus out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    I LOVE JOJA CORP. JOJA MART IS WHERE I GO FOR THE BEST PRICES AND VALUE. JOJA COLA IS SO REFRESHING. JOJA.NET IS MY PORTAL TO THE LATEST NEWS AND CELEBRITY GOSSIP, IT'S JUST SO MUCH FUN.

I fished a Joja Cola out of my pond* and drank it and for a few days I woke up with half energy. Coincidence? I think not.

*Which was really annoying because literally the day before I bought one from the vending machine in the Saloon for a quest for Caroline.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I've got real strong nostalgia for SNES Harvest Moon. This looks tempting

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I've got a billion more crops coming in in the summer

most of which are the kind that keep producing after you plant them, so that's cool

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    one thing I remember from A Wonderful Life, was(I'll just spoil it)
    The old man of town's wife died even though he was the grumpy shit, I really feel like that could happen with George/Evelyn

• Options
    I've got a billion more crops coming in in the summer

most of which are the kind that keep producing after you plant them, so that's cool

I made sure to set aside a third of the strawberry seeds I bought at the Egg Festival to plant on the first of spring so I could get a whole month out of them instead of just 2 harvests.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Corn is good for that too. Harvest them through Summer and Fall.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I have been waiting for this game for years. Honest to god like for probably half a decade at least. I just got a backpack, and now I'm looking to build a chicken coop and a kitchen upgrade!

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    Yeah, I gotta get me some corn. Need those multiseason harvests!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    fuckin' corn lobby

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I also really dig that there are mysteries scattered about. What's up with the little colored shrines? What's the deal with the statue behind the ancient log northwest of the lake? What's down in the sewer? Where does the bus go? What does it mean when a train comes through town? What's on the other side of that bridge, or that bridge? What I do with this thing from the bottom of the mines? Who's this guy, and how do I talk to him?

I've solved some of these, but not many. I love when a game makes me curious.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    If only I could get these chickens to poop their eggs directly into my mayonnaise machine.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I wanna know what the hell's up with that canyon east of the mine.

That does not look safe.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    God help me, there are WAY too many trees on my lot and it's going to take me YEARS to clear them all

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    God help me, there are WAY too many trees on my lot and it's going to take me YEARS to clear them all

You'll be thankful for all that accessible, free lumber come Large Barn time

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I'm in the process of chopping it down, but it's gonna take me a real long time. Maybe the winter will be good for that....

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    I want to upgrade my tools.
    Gathering basic stone/wood takes way too much time.
    I suppose I could just buy them from the carpenter lady...

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Upgrading 'em is great but you have to account for Clint having 'em a couple days

don't be like me and give your watering can to Clint and then realize woops you still need to water your plants tomorrow

Moriveth on
  • Options
    I got lucky and it rained while he had my can.

• Options
    Yeah, next time I'll have to schedule it around a rainy day so I don't make that mistake again. It didn't really hurt much, none of my crops died or anything.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Upgrading 'em is great but you have to account for Clint having 'em a couple days

don't be like me and give your watering can to Clint and then realize woops you still need to water your plants tomorrow
    When I did that I got another can in the mail with a note saying I had dropped it. Now I have two watering cans.

Anyone successfully raising animals? I can't figure out how grass vs hay works.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    nuka wrote: »
    I wanna know what the hell's up with that canyon east of the mine.

That does not look safe.

Its nothing nefarious

spoilers
    Once you complete the bundles for the bridge repair, it becomes a quarry, a nice place to get stone and various ore/gems and it respawns over time

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    I'm almost at the point where I can automate my watering at least. Thank you sprinkler system!

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I'm in the process of chopping it down, but it's gonna take me a real long time. Maybe the winter will be good for that....

winter is a good season for a)mining b) gathering resources for home renovations

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay fine I bought this

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Same.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

winter is a good season for a)mining b) gathering resources for home renovations

I used to the winter to get a barn and upgrade it, winter was good for that

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Okay fine I bought this

FARM

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRROTHERRRRRRRR

• Options
    captaink wrote: »

When I did that I got another can in the mail with a note saying I had dropped it. Now I have two watering cans.

Anyone successfully raising animals? I can't figure out how grass vs hay works.

To raise animals, a Silo is pretty much mandatory. Once you have one of those, any of the grass you cut on your property (the grass that looks like a cohesive field, not just random weed bushes) gets turned into hay.

If you don't have a silo, you'll have to buy hay from Marnie at 50G a pop. Seeing as a thing of mayo (made from eggs) sells for 50, that's a suckers game.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I went into Joja Mart one time and thought it was creepy and left and never went back in

Forest spirits for liiiiiiiife

I really, really dig the splotches of darkness around the edge of the metaphorical frame in this game. The encroaching corporate force; Shane getting drunk alone on the lake pier in the middle of the night, ruminating about his life's failures; Pam having some pretty obvious alcohol issues; Linus being homeless and struggling to get by and dreading winter. The fact that some folks are Dealing With Some Shit makes everything feel a lot more vibrant and alive, since that's how life is.

pam's only alcohol issues are that she isn't drinking enough alcohol

• Options
    also super super important
    YOU GET A BEAR STATUE LIKE THE ONE THE SALOON EVENTUALLY FROM THE LIBRARY REWARDS

• Options
    The fact that a single guy developed this entire game makes me feel like I should do more with my life.

...After I waste 80-100 hours playing his game.

This discussion has been closed.