As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] punch your friend in the face if he spoils Civil War [NO SPOILERS]

Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast,be kindRegistered User regular
edited April 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
captain-america-vs-iron-man-civil-war.jpg

Civil War! The worst kind of war! A war of friends, family. And poorly written comic arcs. Some cool panels tho!

Captain America: Civil War is out May 6th (or in the much more patriotic land of the UK, April 29th!) and is for all intents and purposes another Avengers film, cause hot dang is there a large cast of cool guys punching each other in the goddamned face this time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43NWzay3W4s

In the aftermath of the Avengers accidentally creating a genocidal super robot and blowing up an entire city, the world powers finally decide maybe it's time they follow some rules. Cap disagrees. Also friendship.

But if you don't wanna wait that long for some superheroes, we also have...

CbgoyruWIAEOPRt.jpg-large-1-726x400.jpeg?5f3411

DAREDEVIL SEASON 2! Since 2016 is apparently the year of superheroes wailing on each other, we've got The Man Without Fear vs The Man With More Bullets Than Is Strictly Necessary.

https://youtu.be/m5_A0Wx0jU4

https://youtu.be/2Cn3DVV0LHY

Still too far away? I gotcha buddy;

agents-01-435-top-152022.jpg

Agents Of SHIELD, the littlest TV show that could, returns for the rest of Season 3 on March 8th!

https://youtu.be/Jg8DfC0FvWg

Aw yiss.

Oh brilliant
Dark Raven X on

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    The countdown is on for Daredevil on March 18.

The whistle of the Civil War Hype Train echos in the distance.

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always excited.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Initial impressions from early test screenings say its Captain America 3 and not Avengers 2.5.
    Further, my sources tell me that the movie doesn't pull any punches in the third act, and that if Marvel execs had been concerned about the film going dark places, these stellar test screenings have alleviated all those fears. So if the test screening audiences are right we're looking at a movie at least as good as Winter Soldier, which could be argued as the best Marvel movie yet.

Bolding is my emphasis. The Marvel movies desperately need some sort of weight to them right now. The whole "nobody is dead forever" thing is wearing a bit thin because it feels like there are absolutely no stakes.

I feel that is great, because while AoU was a better commercial success, it never had the more somber and gritty tones that the Captain America films had. Also, TWS was a much better film than AoU.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Initial impressions from early test screenings say its Captain America 3 and not Avengers 2.5.

I feel that is great, because while AoU was a better commercial success, it never had the more somber and gritty tones that the Captain America films had. Also, TWS was a much better film than AoU.

Having just re-watched both films again last week, I have to agree. I did enjoy AoU but TWS is actually a really solid movie in its own right whereas AoU is merely an entertaining popcorn spectacle.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    On rewatch, I realized that Age of Ultron feels most like it was a midseason two-part episode of the Avengers show.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Having just re-watched both films again last week, I have to agree. I did enjoy AoU but TWS is actually a really solid movie in its own right whereas AoU is merely an entertaining popcorn spectacle.

AoU stands on the shoulders of previous Marvel films, whereas TWS (with about 10 minutes of additional background) could function as a solo movie.

I think the Cap films are the best of the bunch, I liked TFA, Avengers, and TWS as a Captain America storyline more than any other set of films in the MCU. I think people gave TFA a harsh break when it first appeared, but with later knowledge the film has actually gotten better with age. Especially with the Peggy Carter series.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    On rewatch, I realized that Age of Ultron feels most like it was a midseason two-part episode of the Avengers show.

Age of Ultron is the middle child. It advances the overall arc of the MCU in unspectacular but important ways.

It's a necessary movie for the entirety of the series. It's also fairly enjoyable and, to be honest, can be considered a minor miracle that a 2nd act managed to be that good.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

AoU stands on the shoulders of previous Marvel films, whereas TWS (with about 10 minutes of additional background) could function as a solo movie.

I think the Cap films are the best of the bunch, I liked TFA, Avengers, and TWS as a Captain America storyline more than any other set of films in the MCU. I think people gave TFA a harsh break when it first appeared, but with later knowledge the film has actually gotten better with age. Especially with the Peggy Carter series.

People really underestimate what Captain America accomplished. It made a character that was practically a pop culture punchline into a relatable guy and managed to place the character and costume in context in a way that makes it seem natural that he's still wearing it several movies later.

The movie was an okay action adventure. I'd watch it again if it came on TV. But the movie's real mission was getting audiences to like and accept Captain America, and it succeeds completely at that.

• Options

People really underestimate what Captain America accomplished. It made a character that was practically a pop culture punchline into a relatable guy and managed to place the character and costume in context in a way that makes it seem natural that he's still wearing it several movies later.

The movie was an okay action adventure. I'd watch it again if it came on TV. But the movie's real mission was getting audiences to like and accept Captain America, and it succeeds completely at that.

Yes.

The fact they even took potshots at the original costume without it being a huge WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE WOMP WOMP WOMP moment was brilliant, especially because it made absolutely perfect sense.

Not like that other Captain America movie.

• Options
    I have much less of a problem than other people seem to with the idea that the Avengers films are just big blockbusters that unite the characters from the solo films for a big spectacular battle against a super dangerous bad guy. I don't particularly care if there isn't a really meaty story. I realize this bugs a lot of other people though.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

It should also not go unnoticed how much of that is due to Chris Evans absolutely knocking it out the park, even if he doesn't get the kind of recognition that is say RDJ is Tony Stark I see commonly thrown around (and now people saying Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool seems to come attached to that).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I have much less of a problem than other people seem to with the idea that the Avengers films are just big blockbusters that unite the characters from the solo films for a big spectacular battle against a super dangerous bad guy. I don't particularly care if there isn't a really meaty story. I realize this bugs a lot of other people though.

Yes, I agree. The Avengers films should be the denouement of the Phase. They should just wrap things up and kick the storyline forward to the next Phase.

I just don't think AoU did it as well as the first film... and it felt a little shallow after seeing TWS and even IM3. I think Whedon went against the way things were headed and tone was shifting in the MCU, where things are starting to ramp up and all the pretty facades are falling.

I'm in no way saying it was bad. It was one hell of a ride. It's still better than the majority of superhero films in existence and I can't see that changing.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    TFA was a bunch of amazing characters in a mediocre film. I respect it, and parts of it are great, but it's the rewatch I've enjoyed the least because of the drudgery that is the final act.

But it was worth it for giving us TWS and (presumably, fingers crossed) Civil War.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    TFA was a bunch of amazing characters in a mediocre film. I respect it, and parts of it are great, but it's the rewatch I've enjoyed the least because of the drudgery that is the final act.

But it was worth it for giving us TWS and (presumably, fingers crossed) Civil War.

See, I didn't think it was that bad. At the very least I'd put it above IM2 and either Hulk.

I mean, opinions and all, but it's got some really clever moments, and the ending with Peggy was genuinely touching (though not as heart-rending as the scene with Peggy in TWS).

"Go, I can swim!" - I actually cheered at that part because I fucking hate that trope.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

For me, that's the part where the movie falls apart. I would have forgiven a lot more of its flaws if I felt they had stuck the landing with Ultron.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I could be mistaken, but isn't Age of Ultron the only MCU film where a superhero actually dies during the events of the film?

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I could be mistaken, but isn't Age of Ultron the only MCU film where a superhero actually dies during the events of the film?

The death of a barely-known, unfleshed character really doesn't ring as upping the "stakes". It feels like a temporary character in a TV show dying the only episode they're in to spare the more well-known character. It DID establish a rule that the good guys can get offed, though, and that isn't simply reserved for bad guys.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »

For me, that's the part where the movie falls apart. I would have forgiven a lot more of its flaws if I felt they had stuck the landing with Ultron.

I didn't mind it, but I can only wish we got the movie they were advertising in the first trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeOjFno6Do

• Options
    edited March 2016

The death of a barely-known, unfleshed character really doesn't ring as upping the "stakes". It feels like a temporary character in a TV show dying the only episode they're in to spare the more well-known character. It DID establish a rule that the good guys can get offed, though, and that isn't simply reserved for bad guys.

Ultron was the chief problem with the film. Spader did a great job, but they did not spend the time to develop him as a sympathetic villain, and the wise-cracking clone army just wasn't intimidating. He's one character where they'd probably have had a tighter, snappier movie if they had gone closer to the comics version, where he is portrayed much more like something from a horror movie.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The town meteor thing was a fun idea but they should have moved some sfx money away from just copying the first films finale with another avengers vs horde army fight and used it on developing ultron, giving spader more lines, and making the concept of one ultron unit with just two or three spare bodies a terrifying threat.

Hell instead of having thousands of spare fodder bodies he could have had one designed to fight cap, one designed to fight hulk, one for Thor, and one designed to fight Hawkeye and widow while the original fights tony. Everyone starts losing until scarlet witch, quicksilver, and vision turn the tide.

Viskod on
  • Options
    I've watched TFA a couple times and I can't help but be bored during the second half of the film. It's just not very good. It's forgivable because the first half is exceedingly good, possibly the best realized superhero origin in film. Chris Evans is a great Cap/Steve Rogers and to me he embodies the character better than RDJ does Stark.

Because RDJ is actually way too likable compared to the comic character. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's definitely a good thing; I feel the same way about Hugh Jackman. Love Jackman Wolverine, hate comic book Wolverine. Love RDJ Iron Man, think comic Tony is a giant douche.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    The town meteor thing was a fun idea but they should have moved some sfx money away from just copying the first films finale with another avengers vs horde army fight and used it on developing ultron, giving spader more lines, and making the concept of one ultron unit with just two or three spare bodies a terrifying threat.

Hell instead of having thousands of spare fodder bodies he could have had one designed to fight cap, one designed to fight hulk, one for Thor, and one designed to fight Hawkeye and widow while the original fights tony. Everyone starts losing until scarlet witch, quicksilver, and vision turn the tide.

I like the version from the good Avengers cartoon, where he was just this cold, alien thing that could not only take on all of the Avengers single-handedly but appear to be an overwhelming force while doing so. That approach saves a lot of time on backstory and character development, if nothing else.

• Options

Ultron was the chief problem with the film. Spader did a great job, but they did not spend the time to develop him as a sympathetic villain, and the wise-cracking clone army just wasn't intimidating. He's one character where they'd probably have had a tighter, snappier movie if they had gone closer to the comics version, where he is portrayed much more like something from a horror movie.

Based on how they've constructed the MCU around it, this needed to be the movie where the Avengers failed, and failed big time, and Ultron needed to cause it. Instead the movie never really feels like it has any stakes. Ultron's true plan isn't made clear until over halfway through the movie and by that point we've seen his robot minions are entirely nonthreatening. The only hint of a threat we really get is Ultron's attempt to transfer himself into a superior Vibranium body (IE, the Vision) but the heroes foil him. Once we get to the showdown in Sokovia we never really buy that Ultron is going to get away with anything (since he hasn't so far) and all the robot fighting starts to just blur together.

I get that they wanted to contrast with Man of Steel's bleak tone, but all the marketing for the movie, and a number of plot points in the film (the team going into hiding at the cabin, the original team breaking up at the end) needed Ultron to do something truly horrific to make things fit. The Avengers foiled him from destroying the world, yes, but there needed to be a steeper cost. Sokovia probably should have gone the way of Slorernia in the comics, and it initially felt like that's where they were going.

• Options
    It's one of those "be careful what you wish for" situations. I could easily see the ending sequence to AoU having a darker tone with more loss of civilian lives but not after the outrage over MoS. That pretty much guaranteed the ending we got in AoU where nearly everyone was evacuated, even the freaking dog.

• Options
    It's one of those "be careful what you wish for" situations. I could easily see the ending sequence to AoU having a darker tone with more loss of civilian lives but not after the outrage over MoS. That pretty much guaranteed the ending we got in AoU where nearly everyone was evacuated, even the freaking dog.

Which is unfortunate, because they over-corrected and it damaged the narrative.

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Based on how they've constructed the MCU around it, this needed to be the movie where the Avengers failed, and failed big time, and Ultron needed to cause it. Instead the movie never really feels like it has any stakes. Ultron's true plan isn't made clear until over halfway through the movie and by that point we've seen his robot minions are entirely nonthreatening. The only hint of a threat we really get is Ultron's attempt to transfer himself into a superior Vibranium body (IE, the Vision) but the heroes foil him. Once we get to the showdown in Sokovia we never really buy that Ultron is going to get away with anything (since he hasn't so far) and all the robot fighting starts to just blur together.

I get that they wanted to contrast with Man of Steel's bleak tone, but all the marketing for the movie, and a number of plot points in the film (the team going into hiding at the cabin, the original team breaking up at the end) needed Ultron to do something truly horrific to make things fit. The Avengers foiled him from destroying the world, yes, but there needed to be a steeper cost. Sokovia probably should have gone the way of Slorernia in the comics, and it initially felt like that's where they were going.

I don't think they'd even need to go horrific. Just have a big fight where it is obvious that the Avengers are completely out-classed.

I imagine the big plan is to leave that scene to the fight with Thanos, though.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    They evacuated everyone (or mostly everyone. Gotta assume some not insignificant percentage did not make it) but they still wiped an entire city off the map. That's not a win! That's a draw, at best.

The tone at the end is one of victory, but it does feel like going forward, it's getting acknowledged as not the best of days.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    They evacuated everyone (or mostly everyone. Gotta assume some not insignificant percentage did not make it) but they still wiped an entire city off the map. That's not a win! That's a draw, at best.

The tone at the end is one of victory, but it does feel like going forward, it's getting acknowledged as not the best of days.

Yeah but it was a fake foreign city in a fake foreign country. The stakes just felt kinda weightless.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    See, I liked Cap 1 better than Cap 2 because it was good throughout, even the third act (whereas Winter Soldier falls apart in the third act). It did build up Cap and give him character and likability that subsequent movies removed just to replace with a stoic dismissive attitude. Plus it had The Tuc in it, The Tuc is an acting wave that lifts all boats. It copied Rocketeer very well since it was the same director and just fit perfectly into being a compliment to Iron Mans.

Really the only fault I had with First Avenger was them being complete pussies with regards to nazis. When they'll show the red armband but hide the actual swastika with camera angles (you see the whole armband once, in shadows, when Red Skull has the two nazis asking for a status report before he ptew ptews them with GI Joe lasers), it felt so scared to lose that super important chinese nazi audience. It was bad enough they just called it The First Avenger in Korea and Russia and other places, stop hating America, Disney.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Really the only fault I had with First Avenger was them being complete pussies with regards to nazis. When they'll show the red armband but hide the actual swastika with camera angles (you see the whole armband once, in shadows, when Red Skull has the two nazis asking for a status report before he ptew ptews them with GI Joe lasers), it felt so scared to lose that super important chinese nazi audience. It was bad enough they just called it The First Avenger in Korea and Russia and other places, stop hating America, Disney.

That's got to be marketing, remember the movie is trying to sell toys to kids and parents are leery buying toys for little Timmy with swastikas on it. This is not the 80's. I don't think China got the movie.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    I don't feel like TWS fell apart in the 3rd act at all. The Hydra infiltration and subsequent break-up of SHIELD was necessary, and the big fight at the end with Cap/Falcon/Bucky etc. was cool. The boardroom stuff with Widow/Nick/Redford was great and for that matter so was Sharon Carter/brave nerd guy etc etc.

• Options
    I don't feel like TWS fell apart in the 3rd act at all. The Hydra infiltration and subsequent break-up of SHIELD was necessary, and the big fight at the end with Cap/Falcon/Bucky etc. was cool. The boardroom stuff with Widow/Nick/Redford was great and for that matter so was Sharon Carter/brave nerd guy etc etc.

Yeah. The Winter Soldier is a well made movie, probably the most solid "film" Marvel Studios has made.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

Yeah but it was a fake foreign city in a fake foreign country. The stakes just felt kinda weightless.

there's a joke here about falling things and zero-g, but I'm too tired to figure it out

on-point, though, I disagree - it seemed like a pretty big deal to me that Ultron had decided to use Sokovia to cause a global extinction event; and a good thing that the good guys went out of their way to save as many people as possible.

The city, at least to me, is exactly as fake as any other city the MCU has shown.

And I guess it bothers me a bit that you'd care more if it had been a 'real' city, or (presumably) a fake city in a 'real' country.

What about Xandar? that's a fake foreign city in a fake foreign country on a fake foreign world.

• Options
    edited March 2016

I disagree.

If someone can make a talking trees "death" feel weighted then the objective reality of the thing doesn't really matter. We see New York get wiped in Cloverfield but nobody cares, but a CGI couple not being able to have kids in Up probably upped the share price of Kleenex a few percent. Half of the world dies in 2012 but nobody has ever cried for the loss of life in an Emmerich movie, while a talking rock puppet in the Neverending Story gives you the feels as he laments over his hands not being strong enough to save his friends.

It's all about how the connection is made with the audience. You don't need to be able to find it in Google maps... just your heart.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

People have this weird hangup about Hydra being meganazis or something, probably due to the imagery from the first film.

Well, I guess Captain America and Tony Stark are just megacapitalists.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

People have this weird hangup about Hydra being meganazis or something, probably due to the imagery from the first film.

Well, I guess Captain America and Tony Stark are just megacapitalists.

They are a Nazi splinter group. It wasn't imagery either - they were genuinely apart of Nazi, Germany before going rogue.

• Options
    Hydra subverting SHIELD worked without their kill everyone master plan, and it made Cap's stand against SHIELD mean more. Standing up to commie nazis isn't as difficult a stance as standing up to regular people who think they're doing the right thing but are unknowingly working down the wrong path.

And on the subject of Brave Nerd (TM), I wish they subverted that trope too like they did with the swimming kid in Cap 1 (which got the best laugh in the theater when I saw it and is in the top 3 of the best Marvel movie jokes). Skinny guy standing up to the tough guys, it was one of the go-to things on TNBC all the time, they should have just had Crossbones shoot him right there after he did that with some witty response. "My orders" or "it's been revoked" or "that's your cross to bear" (because he's Crossbones, guys!). Hell, you're going super evil for the ending, that just makes it more apparent. And then he kicks the SHIELD puppies in training on the way out.

But this subject has been repeated almost as much as Superman vs Zod in the DC thread so that'll be the end of that conversation, Cap sucks Iron Man rules Cyclops is the best out of everyone.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hydra subverting SHIELD worked without their kill everyone master plan, and it made Cap's stand against SHIELD mean more. Standing up to commie nazis isn't as difficult a stance as standing up to regular people who think they're doing the right thing but are unknowingly working down the wrong path.

And on the subject of Brave Nerd (TM), I wish they subverted that trope too like they did with the swimming kid in Cap 1 (which got the best laugh in the theater when I saw it and is in the top 3 of the best Marvel movie jokes). Skinny guy standing up to the tough guys, it was one of the go-to things on TNBC all the time, they should have just had Crossbones shoot him right there after he did that with some witty response. "My orders" or "it's been revoked" or "that's your cross to bear" (because he's Crossbones, guys!). Hell, you're going super evil for the ending, that just makes it more apparent. And then he kicks the SHIELD puppies in training on the way out.

But this subject has been repeated almost as much as Superman vs Zod in the DC thread so that'll be the end of that conversation, Cap sucks Iron Man rules Cyclops is the best out of everyone.

Jesus Christ. I'm glad you aren't calling the shots at Marvel. No, the movie wasn't relentlessly heartless and cynical. Which is a good thing.

• Options
    If I was calling the shots at Marvel every movie would be Mini Marvels and Pet Avengers, so that's your loss!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The Caps orders guy was the best hero of the movie. :)

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!