As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] punch your friend in the face if he spoils Civil War [NO SPOILERS]

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I'm curious who they'll cast as Micro.

DD season 2 spoiler
    "Micro" was written on a disk that Frank picked up at the end of DD Season 2. Indications it'll be a non-person thing. Maybe a list?

Maybe. I hope not.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I feel like he went through enough character development in Daredevil that he could be an antihero protagonist now.

It's not as though antihero protagonists are some strange new thing. I don't think this is a serious concern at all. People sure love their Breaking Bad. They loved Dexter before it got dumb. Very few of the GoT characters are anything even resembling nice people.

People are already used to watching shows with bad people as protagonists. I struggle to see how people can laud a show like Sopranos and then turn around and say "ooh noes, a vigilante who kills people is a step too far, I have to go back to watching my other shows where the protagonists are murderous criminals".

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The great parts of the Punisher in DD weren't the bits where he was gunning down mooks from inside a plot invulnerability bubble, though. They were the parts that humanized him or built up his character, or scenes where he was clearly rather vulnerable even if he was also incredibly violent.

I don't think a series focusing on his enemies would work like that.

Even though I would eventually love a Superior Foes of Spider-Man Daredevil series.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    yeah, it will work great if he's an antihero. The concern is that they'll go the Dexter route of trying to turn him into the good guy.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Frank was the antagonist, but never the bad guy. He fits right into the anti-hero slot from the start.

It be interesting if Marvel did make a series about a villain like Breaking Bad.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Frank was the antagonist, but never the bad guy. He fits right into anti-hero slot from the start.

It be interesting if Marvel did make a series about a villain like Breaking Bad.

I would love to see a netflix series based on The Kingpin.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Too late, we already got to the outright quite obviously a bad guy bit with Kingpin with almost no wiggle room. He's just not 100% evil, just 90 with 5% variance for any given moment.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Frank was the antagonist, but never the bad guy. He fits right into anti-hero slot from the start.

I would love to see a netflix series based on The Kingpin.

I mean, Daredevil season 1 practically was.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    An episode or two from the criminals perspective would be pretty great though.
    Especially if it's some goons "first day"

• Options
    The series could follow police detectives Martin Soap and Molly von Richthofen after they're assigned to the Punisher case.

Maybe don't follow where Garth Ennis eventually took the characters, though.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

Mike Rowe

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ugh

• Options
    Wayne Knight was pretty perfect as Micro. Maybe they should just get him back.

Or I dunno. Luis Guzman.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

Wayne Knight.

• Options
    I'd be happy to see Wayne Knight reprise the role.

"Hello, Newman."

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I haven't even read many Punisher comics, but a small part of me has always loved this page all the same;
    8mi328w6acg1.jpg

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I've never been completely sure whether the sword gun was a product of winking self awareness or just aberrant mental processes on the part of the creative team.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Think about Netflix casting, it will probably be the fat Baratheon guy from Game of Thrones season 1.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I have never thought the punisher works particularly well as a protagonist, at least in 'regular' continuity. To make him sympathetic enough you have to somehow mitigate the fact that he's basically a serial killer, either by giving him a parade of truly irredeemable people to kill (becomes implausible after a while) or by giving him something else to do for long stretches (which can be fine, but also kinda makes him stop being the punisher.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Sword gun could come in handy if you were teaming up with a ninja.

Other than that, those are just dumber, bigger bullets.

• Options
    Sword gun seems more suited to Deadpool or Lobo than the Punisher.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Sword gun seems more suited to Deadpool or Lobo than the Punisher.

Pfft a gun that shoots swords would be way too tame for Deadpool.

Now, a shotgun that shoots rabid hamsters?
    px91kt62ybnb.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Two barrels but only one hamster?

Lame.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    A gun that shoots swords? Someone get Mac on the phone and find a way to make it shoot axes!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    That gun sounds like something Torque Flexington would commission.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

Lame.

Clearly he's saving the second barrel/hamster for someone else.

I mean, it's not like you can get double rabies.

... wait, CAN you get double rabies!?!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Added note to that Deadpool picture,

Corporate Vampire, was literal, he was fighting a squad of business suit wall street Vampires.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Added note to that Deadpool picture,

Corporate Vampire, was literal, he was fighting a squad of business suit wall street Vampires.

So wacky. Ha ha.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »

Lame.

Clearly he's saving the second barrel/hamster for someone else.

I mean, it's not like you can get double rabies.

... wait, CAN you get double rabies!?!

You don't want to take any chances with literal corporate vampires.

Unload with both barrels.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

DD season 2 spoiler
    "Micro" was written on a disk that Frank picked up at the end of DD Season 2. Indications it'll be a non-person thing. Maybe a list?

Maybe. I hope not.
    Micro got a namedrop as one of Daisy's old hacker buddies in Agents of SHIELD.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I have never thought the punisher works particularly well as a protagonist, at least in 'regular' continuity. To make him sympathetic enough you have to somehow mitigate the fact that he's basically a serial killer, either by giving him a parade of truly irredeemable people to kill (becomes implausible after a while) or by giving him something else to do for long stretches (which can be fine, but also kinda makes him stop being the punisher.)

Nah, they could make it work. They already nailed the "sympathetic antihero" angle. I think the key to his own show would be making it a tragedy. Frank has to juggle his humanity and lingering desire for human connection with his obsession with murdering criminals. You root for him to succeed, but know he's going to fall to the darkness. He ruins whatever chance at happiness he might have, but at least he perforates some evil motherfuckers.

The only real pitfall is if you play him as a straight up hero, but I trust them not to go that way. They weren't afraid to make Matt a charismatic and likeable dumbass who does ethically questionable things and sabotages his own chance for happiness.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    They could go the Marvel Knights route and have him kill demons

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    he's only made sympathetic in season 2 via his interaction with the protagonist(s), though; you can make him sympathetic as long as his story is being told from the viewpoint of the characters he's bouncing off of (and that can't even be sustained forever, as at the end of season 2.) He could be the protagonist in a revenge tale, but 1) he (and thus the viewer) can't ever reach catharsis and 2) this version has already killed the people who actually wronged him.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    he's only made sympathetic in season 2 via his interaction with the protagonist(s), though; you can make him sympathetic as long as his story is being told from the viewpoint of the characters he's bouncing off of (and that can't even be sustained forever, as at the end of season 2.) He could be the protagonist in a revenge tale, but 1) he (and thus the viewer) can't ever reach catharsis and 2) this version has already killed the people who actually wronged him.

He'd have someone in his tv series, he always does in the movies and comics.

• Options

He'd have someone in his tv series, he always does in the movies and comics.

Of course. And honestly, this is a criticism you could just as easily make of Matt.

He would be pretty unsympathetic if it was just him and the bad guys, with no Foggy, no Karen, no Elektra, no Frank, no Claire...

It would just be him beating the fuck out of people and he would read as a straight psychopath.

• Options
    And Jessica Jones would be a drunk hooligan if she had no one to bounce off of.

Supporting casts exist for a reason.

• Options
    Jessica Jones could bounce off her internal monologue! ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Jessica Jones could bounce off her internal monologue! ;D

Internal monologues/voice overs is one thing that translates very poorly into live action. Anything more than occasional use becomes obnoxious or gives a strong 1980's comedy vibe.

Comics use them a lot, and it's great. Does not work in film.

• Options
    a lot of punisher comics are just interior monologue and shooting dudes; he has never had much of a supporting cast

what makes Murdock sympathetic is seeing his guilt; the supporting cast helps with showing that obviously, but it's still the most relatable part of the character and what makes him sympathetic.

what's relatable about the punisher? It isn't his (nonexistent) desire for human connection. Desire for revenge I suppose, but he got that already. Punisher's an outlet for our need to see retaliation against the people who break society's rules, but that's not really sympathetic if you make a whole character out of it.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    a lot of punisher comics are just interior monologue and shooting dudes; he has never had much of a supporting cast

what makes Murdock sympathetic is seeing his guilt; the supporting cast helps with showing that obviously, but it's still the most relatable part of the character and what makes him sympathetic.

what's relatable about the punisher? It isn't his (nonexistent) desire for human connection. Desire for revenge I suppose, but he got that already. Punisher's an outlet for our need to see retaliation against the people who break society's rules, but that's not really sympathetic if you make a whole character out of it.

This Punisher is nowhere near as emotionless as the comic book version. It's clear they've exercised their artistic license to adapt the character so there's no reason to assume they would revert to a straight comic book version of the character now.