As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Browsers stop working after a few hours.

thecatchxxiithecatchxxii Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker here. I've searched around for an answer to this, but so far I've been unsuccessful. Hopefully one of you guys can help.

After my PC has been on a few hours, both Firefox and IE will stop opening new links. The browsers themselves are still responding, but when I click on the links (or enter an address in the bar) nothing happens.

In Firefox, the progress bar will flash really quick, but nothing will change in the window. When I click on my quick link buttons, they press in and click, but it won't pull up the page.

In IE, I'll get a page cannot be displayed error.

Now, I know that it's not my internet connection because xfire, AIM, and MMORPG's still function perfectly when the browsers aren't. The only program that doesn't want to function when this happens is Steam. The whole thing is really odd.

I've made sure I have the latest version of both browsers. I've reinstalled Firefox (even clearing out the stuff in My Documents), I've checked my router settings, made sure Windows firewall wasn't enabled... I really can't think of what it is.

If anybody can shed any light on this, the assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time, guys.

Edit: Ack, I guess I should mention that disabling and enabling the connection does not fix the problem. The only way to get the browsers working again (that I've found) has been to restart my PC.

Ender+Eleven.png
thecatchxxii on

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hey, this has been happening to me too

wish I had advice .... I've just been restarting =/

Xaquin on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, hopefully not, but maybe you've got a spyware or virus infection. Have you scanned for either?

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I've scanned for both with numerous programs. It doesn't seem to be either.

thecatchxxii on
    Ender+Eleven.png
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    In IE, I'll get a page cannot be displayed error.

Go to tools --> Options --> Advanced tab --> uncheck "Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages"

This might give you an error that's a little more helpful than "Cannot be displayed".

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This could be a problem with a memory leak.
    I've had this problem before with several of the newer (5.*) versions of AIM when they remain open.

I thought it was my browser for the longest time, but it was AIM.
    If this is happening for you in both IE and Firefox, it seems unlikely both are happening at the same time and is a browser issue.

What version of AIM are you using? Perhaps try an older version?

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    To be honest, I don't run AIM all that often. I sometimes have Xfire up. I do have Lord of the Rings Online running a lot, though.

thecatchxxii on
    Ender+Eleven.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    When it happened again earlier, I tried turning off the 'Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages' and I still got the same error. It also happened twice tonight. The second time it happened, I didn't have any programs running other than Firefox (for a period of 3'ish hours).

thecatchxxii on
    Ender+Eleven.png