As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Podcast Thread Podcast Memorial Podcast thread

19495969798100»

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Like I don't think you did it on purpose but using that term implies, heavily, that the reason people don't like gita's work is because she's a woman, because that's where the term comes from

its just loaded language at this point, thats all

I mean, I would argue that part of the reason people (and I include myself in this) react so strongly to gita is because she is a black woman and we are socialized to view opinionated black women differently from opinionated white men, but that's a whole different conversation

and based on some of the horrible shit thats popped up in her twitter feed that she's had to deal with you're 100% correct, people in general ARE way harsher to her because of that. I am absolutely convinced that's the case.

But I don't think that that shade needs to be thrown around in here the second someone says they don't like Gita's opinions. There's a LOT of personalities we discuss here and a lot of them that people in this thread have strong opinions about, for many different reasons. I don't think its fair to assume that people in here, on a very progressive forum, immediately are being dismissive of her because shes a black woman. If we can't have open discussion then the point of a forum is pretty significantly hindered.

That doesn't mean that being a member of this forum gets you a pass, of course. If someone is using bigoted language or phrasing? Hell yeah, light them up. But Inquisitor was literally like "actually I really liked her article except this one bit" and the response was to use some language that implies his reason for it is bigoted and... that just really didn't sit right with me!

You're an awesome dude though Kilroy I like you a lot and I definitely don't want this to be an argument or fight, I just wanted to get that off my chest thats all.

I definitely understand where you're coming from, but I think you somewhat misinterpreted the point I was trying (and clearly failed) to make

I wasn't trying to throw shade at Inqui because I thought he was being misogynistic. I was trying to say that when someone says "this thing seems to happen a lot," I think it's kind of silly to respond with "here is one time when it didn't, so you're imagining things"

obviously what I should have done was take the time to write that instead of trying to be clever between bites of toast

Being misunderstood because you tried to be pithy instead of straightforward. Aka the Bagel Gambit.

all we can do is play the cards you deal in the post, mon ami. c'est true, non?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I would say my experience with dark souls mostly involved patience and observation and then sometimes giving up and looking at a guide

I like how with dark souls it seems to almost encourage this kind of community approach to solve certain problems.

The way I look at it is very much a game about overcoming anxiety because that's certainly a thing it helped me with.

And sometimes with anxiety and other issues it certainly is good to know when it is appropriate to seek help, and that it doesn't always make the experience of achievement any less real.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DON'T GIVE UP, SKELETON

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    sometimes, instead of facing a problem head on, it's better to throw poison grenades over the door

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Like I don't think you did it on purpose but using that term implies, heavily, that the reason people don't like gita's work is because she's a woman, because that's where the term comes from

its just loaded language at this point, thats all

I mean, I would argue that part of the reason people (and I include myself in this) react so strongly to gita is because she is a black woman and we are socialized to view opinionated black women differently from opinionated white men, but that's a whole different conversation

and based on some of the horrible shit thats popped up in her twitter feed that she's had to deal with you're 100% correct, people in general ARE way harsher to her because of that. I am absolutely convinced that's the case.

But I don't think that that shade needs to be thrown around in here the second someone says they don't like Gita's opinions. There's a LOT of personalities we discuss here and a lot of them that people in this thread have strong opinions about, for many different reasons. I don't think its fair to assume that people in here, on a very progressive forum, immediately are being dismissive of her because shes a black woman. If we can't have open discussion then the point of a forum is pretty significantly hindered.

That doesn't mean that being a member of this forum gets you a pass, of course. If someone is using bigoted language or phrasing? Hell yeah, light them up. But Inquisitor was literally like "actually I really liked her article except this one bit" and the response was to use some language that implies his reason for it is bigoted and... that just really didn't sit right with me!

You're an awesome dude though Kilroy I like you a lot and I definitely don't want this to be an argument or fight, I just wanted to get that off my chest thats all.

I definitely understand where you're coming from, but I think you somewhat misinterpreted the point I was trying (and clearly failed) to make

I wasn't trying to throw shade at Inqui because I thought he was being misogynistic. I was trying to say that when someone says "this thing seems to happen a lot," I think it's kind of silly to respond with "here is one time when it didn't, so you're imagining things"

obviously what I should have done was take the time to write that instead of trying to be clever between bites of toast

Being misunderstood because you tried to be pithy instead of straightforward. Aka the Bagel Gambit.

all we can do is play the cards you deal in the post, mon ami. c'est true, non?

Stupid argument happening? It not you. It Bagel.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

all that weed you been lordin over done and slowed your reaction time

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    more like SlowLordVegeta

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I have committed the gravest of sins: posting something that had already been posted

My entire bloodline shall forever be tainted by this mistake and I can never erase this stain

• Options
    abiding by the code of "puff puff pass out, wake up way later, post something everybody already seen"

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
  • Options
    r0PJZBa.jpg?2

Ah, playing god, I see.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Dark Souls taught me you can really whip a game disc out a window if you get the wrist just right

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Dark Souls taught me you can really whip a game disc out a window if you get the wrist just right

as the incomparable geddy lee said, "if you choose not to play dark souls, you still have made a choice, to better yourself and learn something"

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Since I am about to replay Mass Effect 3 for the first time since it came out, I remembered that Brad Shoemaker gave it his personal GOTY for 2012 and I looked up his list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4yClf3NeDA

Sometimes Brad puts his foot down in a way that I can't help but respect

In the middle of all the insane bullshit swirling around that game, he goes "no, fuck all that, that is still my favorite experience I had with a video game this year and you can't yell at me into not loving it"

Brad didn't play Mass Effect 3 until after the Leviathan and alternate ending DLC came out, so he got a different perspective on the game than the rest of the office/internet. He literally never played the version of the game that everyone flipped the fuck out over.
    David_T wrote: »
    now imagine i reposted that, except replace "gita jackson" with "dan ryckert", if it helps

I mean, that's also not true.

Sometimes Dan is brought up in the context of his actions, his deplorable, deplorable actions, and not just his opinions.

His deplorable, deplorable opinions.

Dan also does funny/enjoyably stupid stuff, which gets posted about a lot too.

• Options
    while true (brad playing after leviathan, etc), the alternate ending DLC didn't really fix a lot of people's issues with the ending, nor did it smooth over or really change the general opinion people have of ME3

I actually like the alternate ending a little less, but I don't find the end of ME3 to be as horrible as most anyhow

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    tumblr_o4k316mKbz1qeuiqyo1_250.gif

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I would say my experience with dark souls mostly involved patience and observation and then sometimes giving up and looking at a guide

so you learned that sometimes you have to rely on the help of others who have come before you

I also learned that helping other people gives me an incredible amount of satisfaction.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

so you learned that sometimes you have to rely on the help of others who have come before you

I also learned that helping other people gives me an incredible amount of satisfaction.

Praise the Sun!

• Options
    r0PJZBa.jpg?2

Ah, playing god, I see.

Apparently I'm the only one who read that as GiantBomb going all Weird Science on Mario...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    and on the 8th day, god made mario

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Oh goddammit

*sigh*

I might be Team Ibex now.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    brother

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    what's the other team? I haven't seen anyone declare for team not ibex

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    There is Team Ibex and Team Not Yet Ibex

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    and on the 8th day, god made mario

and God said unto Mario, "You may eat of the fruit of any tree in this garden, but of the skinny mushroom you shall not eat, for it makes you look like a total fucking dirtbag."

This discussion has been closed.