As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

El Debate Demócrata Octava: Yes, Another One

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited March 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
Details, please.

It's 8:30pm EST on Univision or stream via the Washington Post.

Why is this one important?

March 15th is the primary for Florida, which has over 200 delegates at stake. While the polls are heavily in favor of Clinton, Florida isn't winner-take-all for Democrats, so Sanders has a chance to diminish that victory. If Clinton's victory is large enough, then it could crush the Sanders insurgency next Tuesday.

Where?

Miami, Florida

What's the focus?

Given Univision's hosting of this debate, I would wager that immigration and similar issues relevant to Hispanics are going to take up a fair chunk of time.

Who is moderating?

Maria Elena Salinas, Jorge Ramos, and Karen Tumulty

Tonight's Players

XQrUPVH.png
I wish there were more to say this thread, but it's literally been like four days since the late debate, and very little has changed. The most notable thing for Clinton is the surprise loss in Michigan last night. It likely means Clinton isn't done yet with this primary, but it probably doesn't make her any less inevitable. It's really hard to say if her loss in Michigan was at all related to Sunday's debate, but it's probably too soon to really analyze it and change anything to begin with so I dunno. She'll probably just stay the course since it's the safer option and highly unlikely that her enormous lead in Florida is at any kind of risk.

9QfdFz2.png
Sanders had a really good Tuesday, which may spur him to work it overtime tonight. I mean, at the very least he'll be a bit more aggressive like he was Sunday since, hey, why not? His previous debates didn't exactly set the world polls on fire, and it's not like Sanders has a lot to lose here, so I wouldn't be surprised if he really starts putting on the heat. One interesting thing will be how Sanders approaches minority issues tonight. Florida is too big to say that African American votes aren't important, but there's also Florida's considerable Hispanic population. Black voters are what helped Sanders win Michigan, from what early analysis I'm seeing, and if he wants to have any hope of doing decently in Florida he again needs to win those votes.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Any radio options?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    ...Does Mr. Sanders have any real path forward at this point?

Like, NYC is more or less out of the question for him. So... how many states would he have to win to compensate for both his current shortfall + the fact that Clinton will be taking NYC?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Like, NYC is more or less out of the question for him. So... how many states would he have to win to compensate for both his current shortfall + the fact that Clinton will be taking NYC?

What gives you the impression that Clinton will be taking NYC?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The thing is that superdelegates aren't set in stone, so if they sense that Sanders is the more popular candidate then they may switch votes and that could be an upset. It's unlikely, but Obama did do something similar when people assumed SDs would help Hillary lock up the 2008 primary.

But the important thing to remember is that Sanders is looking beyond the primary, and he wants to get Clinton more leftward and basically disown some of her corporate ties. He's probably going to use any excuse he has to stay in this thing so long as the traveling circus that is the Republican Primary makes the democrats look downright civilized by comparison.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I could see Clinton or her staffers invoking a Sanders loss to argue that D party voters have decisively rejected blah blah blah blah whathaveyou

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Currently polling has Clinton at 55~ percent, and Sanders at 34~ percent. That's a rough hill to climb (...and I assume Mrs. Clinton would have a stronger ground game in places like NJ / NYC, given the dominance of the financial & legal sectors in those cities? Granted, NYC also has a relatively large union presence I suppose).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Currently polling has Clinton at 55~ percent, and Sanders at 34~ percent. That's a rough hill to climb (...and I assume Mrs. Clinton would have a stronger ground game in places like NJ / NYC, given the dominance of the financial & legal sectors in those cities? Granted, NYC also has a relatively large union presence I suppose).

Not to mention that she represented the state in the Senate and the Clinton Foundation headquarters is in Harlem.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

Isn't that the same hill he had to climb in Michigan though?

Sanders is particularly good at getting young voters to vote. It could easily turn to be another surprise victory for him.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Seth MacFarlane's damning support for Sanders

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Okay, they were saying this started at 8:30, now the site says 8:45 but they're still fucking around with fluff pieces.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Okay, they were saying this started at 8:30, now the site says 8:45 but they're still fucking around with fluff pieces.

looks like its about to get going now.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    "Yes another one" is perfect

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

That's one statewide poll. Clinton will probably do quite well in Long Island/westchester, because that's where the olds with money are. They aren't as numerous in NYC itself.

Her ground game in NYC itself hasn't really manifest itself yet.

• Options
    It'd be hilarious if they actually conducted the debate in Spanish

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    I was really hoping for the anthem in Spanish.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That's a hot outfit. Terrible acoustics.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    To be fair, did we actually do the anthem at debates in OTHER election years?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    OMG will you just start the bloody debate already!!!

• Options

That's one statewide poll. Clinton will probably do quite well in Long Island/westchester, because that's where the olds with money are. They aren't as numerous in NYC itself.

NYC is also majority minority and Clinton has dominated urban areas. I'm sure Sanders will do fairly well upstate and in Western NY but I see no reason to believe he can be especially competitive in NYC itself

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Tempted to change the title to EL DEBATE DEMOCRATA OCHO

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Wow. The English interpreter is only barely louder than the moderators.

• Options
    Tempted to change the title to EL DEBATE DEMOCRATA OCHO
    tumblr_kw4933xVq31qz92vfo1_500.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Clinton's opening was a little less polished than normal.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

Has anyone's? North Carolina primary is March 15, and I have seen almost no signs, stickers or billboards. I'm kind of out of the TV and radio loop, though.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I really don't like the "What went wrong in Michigan?" question.

Quid on
  • Options
    Moderator demanding an apology from Clinton over Michigan lol. Then asking Sanders if he can really win. Narrative over policy

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Oh good, good. More time dedicated to e-mails.

• Options
    And Clinton tells the mod to piss off about the e-mails already.

• Options
    Clinton giving no fucks about how tired she is about the emails.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    These questions are terrible.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bernie has learned to steer clear of the whole emails issue, good for him.

• Options
    "Is Donald Trump a racist?"

Clinton is strongly implying but not saying yes. Dunno why she's dancing around it.

• Options
    Huh. Sanders is avoiding out and out saying it too.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Huh. Sanders is avoiding out and out saying it too.

Probably because it would be throwing him red meat.

• Options
    Yeah I wish at least Sanders would have come out and say it since he has nothing to lose.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I think there's likely polling that shows outright calling someone racist plays badly, especially in advertising where it can be made to be seem like they are playing the race card.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    there's really no reason to say it out loud right now. it's unlikely to gain either of them any extra support and will only fire up his supporters. let the GOP continue to devour itself for now and then smack him with the label in the general.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    A fucking lot of people consider accusations of racism to be worse than actual racism

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    I think there's likely polling that shows outright calling someone racist plays badly, especially in advertising where it can be made to be seem like they are playing the race card.

There's this really nasty cultural trend of calling someone racist is a bigger faux pas than actually being racist.

Yeah, I don't know why.

• Options
    I don't get why the follow-up is why Sanders voted for the Bill in 2013 which had the same guest worker provisions if that was the basis of his opposition

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
This discussion has been closed.