As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Straightzi is the Settings Whisperer in the [Tabletop Thread]

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    First play of Widow's Walk gave us Internal Conflict, where the house turns into a corporate headquarters and all of the players become murder junkie interns of a Wolfram & Hart style organization, delivering coffee to the employees and trying to take out the competition for a promotion

It was excellent

Note: I posted this after I died. I was the second person to die in the game. Slightly more spoilery on the mission itself:
    Okay, so the traitor in this instance is the Chief Intern, and they have the power to order around the other interns - moving them to bad rooms, far away from other people, that sort of thing.

But the objective, regardless of who you are, is to murder everyone else. People will start losing sanity from failing to successfully deliver coffee to employees, and employees will start disappearing quickly, so it becomes a last person to go insane thing at some point.

It's very fun - I managed to murder the starting Chief Intern pretty quickly, but an item fucked me and put me at minimum stats, at which point the first time I failed to deliver coffee I got the axe as well.

It does have a problem when it gets down towards the end of the game though, as you'll probably have two tanks that are trying to take each other out. We have people with ten to fifteen successes on their attack rolls, towards the end, because they had so much stuff from all of the other dead players.

The notable thing that happened because of all that was, we used every tile. Every single room was explored by the time we ended the game. Which was a fun way to find out what a bunch of the new stuff was, but it did take like two and a half hours to play.

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    I've been watching jojo so now I'm down with elves being all freaks obsessed with beauty
    Every elf is some flavor of weird bullshit anime

Run a Fantasy Game where every generic fantasy race is specifically and explicitly a different styles/genres of animation.

Elves are Anime (Broken into Subraces for big creators. Wood Elves are high-spirited Shonen overachievers, high elves are aloof Hideyuki Kikuchi triangle-people.)
    Humans are 2D Disney royalty.
    Dwarves are Tex Avery hounddogs.
    Gnomes are whimsical 1920s Black-and-White oddballs.
    Goblinoids are Ralph Bakshi rotoscope nightmares.
    Halflings are Hannah-Barbera mystery solvers.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    DE?AD wrote: »
    I've been watching jojo so now I'm down with elves being all freaks obsessed with beauty

Run a Fantasy Game where every generic fantasy race is specifically and explicitly a different styles/genres of animation.

Elves are Anime (Broken into Subraces for big creators. Wood Elves are high-spirited Shonen overachievers, high elves are aloof Hideyuki Kikuchi triangle-people.)

Monsters are all like, awful 3D monstrosities and stop-motion

You're fighting against like Shreks and jerky movement Clash of the Titans Medusas

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    the only thing i have to say is I don't agree with elves being anime. Mostly in part because anime was based on disney originally, and also because it doesn't really match with some of the more "elves are old as balls" vibes. I would put them as like early animation, like pre disney.

touches back to their roots if you have them as monochrome and silent.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I don't know, elves looking eternally young yet being hundreds of years old is pretty anime.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Elves are nothing but shadow puppets

Specifically like those cool Thai ones that are hyperdetailed with translucent elements in order to include color

But a lot of their magic looks like more traditional black and white shadow puppetry

Lots of hand gestures as somatic components, especially for low level spells

M5eqJuJ.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I don't know, evles looking eternally young yet being hundreds of years old is pretty anime.

i am thinking more of them reflecting the media than ideas in the media.

which actually puts an argument for humans being Hanna barbara things, as it is the first animation style that was easy to manufacture to a high degree and kind of killed off all other animation styles of the era as they all started to adopt cell animation.

But then, people complain about aping tolkien and Humans Put an End to The Magical World is kind of a tolkien thing.

Melding on
  • Options
    however, it would also mean every human wears a collared shirt so they can turn their head 180 degrees without it looking too weird.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I know it's boring but I'd probably go with humans being humans, like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    So I played in the first round of our annual pathfinder tournament at the local university over the weekend. Was a blast as always... went for about 7-10 hours straight. There's a kind of western fronteir theme this year so we investigated some bandits, ambushed one of their parties to find out where their hideout was and then went on an extended minecart ride sequence into their layer that was a total shitshow of failure on our part and ended with us crashing airborne minecarts headfirst into the middle of the boss battle/ambush.

This year I'm playing *this* STR based melee Kobold paladin/bloodrager/fighter and hitting things with her giant (relative to a kobold anyway) religious book (which is a heavy wooden shield mechanically) because kobolds are the best and I don't care if I have a -4 str modifier, I'm doing it anyway.

zvv5dpmx8gsv.jpg

Her name is Koko and she's super fun so far. Dispite there being a pre-defined western-ish setting we had some latitude to come up with our own gods and as the only person in the tourney with the guts to play a kobold I had some additional room to customize their culture within the existing lore. So she's a paladin of the Ashen Eye, god of good and darkness, who hides innocents from evil and shelters them with her divine shadows, and is the eternal enemy of the Golden Maw, the evil god of light who burns all with his scorching radiance, and demands blind obedience from his followers.

Having inverted light = evil, darkness = good values has been hilarious so far watching people's characters be confused when I shout about snuffing out the light in our enemies hearts. Also having really positive cultural stereotypes for typical "Monster" races, as far as Koko is concerned, Orcs are known for their wisdom and advice, Kobolds are typically brave and strong warriors, that's just the way things are.

I'm looking forward to the next few rounds, it's been super hype so far.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Page 4 of this research paper has a table of tensile and compressive strengths of the sheep crab exoskeleton.

Now for somebody who knows physics to convert MPa to hammer blows.

See this is what i wanted.

Now if only i understood what any of this actually meant.

Ok from the paper, they list four mechanical values: E, Sigma, Epsilon, and Toughness. These mean as follows:

E is the Young's Modulus, and is a measure of how much stress it takes to deform the material to a specific distance in the elastic region. Usually it's given units of GPa, which is 1,000 MPa. Steels typically have a Young's Modulus in the range of 200 GPa. So, unsurprisingly, the crab shell takes a much lower load to deform. On the order of 1/400th of steel.*

Sigma is the stress at failure. This is a measure of how much load is actually required to make the piece fail. 316 stainless steel has a failure stress minimum of 585 MPa, versus the wet crabs at 30-32 MPa. So it's about 5% of the strength of steel.

Epsilon is the amount of deformation at failure in %. So the 6-7% value means that a 1cm specimen fails at 1.06 cm. Stainless steel has a minimum of 30%, but you don't expect a crab shell to be very stretchy and I'm surprised it's this high. As it's under 10% though, it is considered to be a brittle material.

Toughness is a measure of impact resistance. I'm used to it being in Joules and not MPa, and I don't have enough information available to convert.

So, what does this tell us? Well, crab shells are surprisingly resilient. If you look at the stress strain curves provided, you see that you have basically a straight line right up to failure. This is important because it means that the crab shell will have a lot of give compared to similar materials. However, when it fails, it won't do so gently; expect a catastrophic failure.

A good way to compare the crab shell to steel would be to normalize on density. Unfortunately, I could not find direct information on crab shell density (tons on population density, though!). So, I'm going to assume that it's similar in density to water. Water is 62.4 lb / ft^3, steel is 490 lb / ft^3. This means that if the crab shell has properties roughly within 1/8th of the steel properties, you can make equivalent armor.

Re-evaluating the above on this basis, you find that the crab shell has properties in the 1/2 to 1/4 range when normalized. So, you could make a decent set of armor to protect against primitive weapons, but it wouldn't hold up against iron or better weapons. This agrees well with historical context.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It's so weird to me that "studded leather" is a result of misinterpreting medieval and early modern illustrations

When it shows up in illustrations, it is a brigandine with steel plates underneath and the rivets are there to fix the covering material to the plates

• Options
    edited October 2016
    It's so weird to me that "studded leather" is a result of misinterpreting medieval and early modern illustrations

When it shows up in illustrations, it is a brigandine with steel plates underneath and the rivets are there to fix the covering material to the plates

My next D&D character is gonna wear studded leather armor and wield a flail and have a crocotta for an animal companion:

Crocotta.jpg

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Page 4 of this research paper has a table of tensile and compressive strengths of the sheep crab exoskeleton.

Now for somebody who knows physics to convert MPa to hammer blows.

See this is what i wanted.

Now if only i understood what any of this actually meant.

Ok from the paper, they list four mechanical values: E, Sigma, Epsilon, and Toughness. These mean as follows:

E is the Young's Modulus, and is a measure of how much stress it takes to deform the material to a specific distance in the elastic region. Usually it's given units of GPa, which is 1,000 MPa. Steels typically have a Young's Modulus in the range of 200 GPa. So, unsurprisingly, the crab shell takes a much lower load to deform. On the order of 1/400th of steel.*

Sigma is the stress at failure. This is a measure of how much load is actually required to make the piece fail. 316 stainless steel has a failure stress minimum of 585 MPa, versus the wet crabs at 30-32 MPa. So it's about 5% of the strength of steel.

Epsilon is the amount of deformation at failure in %. So the 6-7% value means that a 1cm specimen fails at 1.06 cm. Stainless steel has a minimum of 30%, but you don't expect a crab shell to be very stretchy and I'm surprised it's this high. As it's under 10% though, it is considered to be a brittle material.

Toughness is a measure of impact resistance. I'm used to it being in Joules and not MPa, and I don't have enough information available to convert.

So, what does this tell us? Well, crab shells are surprisingly resilient. If you look at the stress strain curves provided, you see that you have basically a straight line right up to failure. This is important because it means that the crab shell will have a lot of give compared to similar materials. However, when it fails, it won't do so gently; expect a catastrophic failure.

A good way to compare the crab shell to steel would be to normalize on density. Unfortunately, I could not find direct information on crab shell density (tons on population density, though!). So, I'm going to assume that it's similar in density to water. Water is 62.4 lb / ft^3, steel is 490 lb / ft^3. This means that if the crab shell has properties roughly within 1/8th of the steel properties, you can make equivalent armor.

Re-evaluating the above on this basis, you find that the crab shell has properties in the 1/2 to 1/4 range when normalized. So, you could make a decent set of armor to protect against primitive weapons, but it wouldn't hold up against iron or better weapons. This agrees well with historical context.

Though i lack the technical knowledge i am was coming to a similar position. Even ignoring the fact that if it was good armour turtle shells and horse shoe crab plates would have been used as armour once we got past stone weapons, even uneducated the numbers seemed to suggest that it didn't stand up to steel.

Luckily, being fantasy, this can be played with some. My thought reading this was thinking putting them int he range i would put mail armour, giving them pretty good cut protection but only so much against blunt and stabbing, and instead having their durability come from regeneration and ability to operate with missing limbs and what not better than humans. They are after all, mutant crabs, this could easily allow for much harder shells.

Holy shit, i just realized, this could be the setting's Leather armour. I wasn't going to use it as it was largely just a made up thing, but if you're fighting man sized crabs you're probably going to harvest what you can from it cause even a leather helmet deflects blows, full crab plate is going to be lighter than metal, and might just save your life.

Shit yeah this works really well.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Didn't actually get a chance to play with the betrayal expansion this weekend like I thought I would

Hopefully I can get people together this week

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    My next D&D character is gonna wear studded leather armor and wield a flail and have a crocotta for an animal companion:
    Crocotta.jpg
    Going for maximum historical accuracy. I like it.

• Options
    Jesus, that's actually macabre. imagine, you're rising to the surface with your clutch to attempt to claim the surface for The One True God, and meeting you there is a score of surface dwellers dressed in your dead, backed by literal skeletons (because Skeletons hate the boneless crabs and will help at any chance to repel them)

No wonder They Who Came From The Heavens wants them purged, these people are fucked up.

• Options
    Jesus, that's actually macabre. imagine, you're rising to the surface with your clutch to attempt to claim the surface for The One True God, and meeting you there is a score of surface dwellers dressed in your dead, backed by literal skeletons (because Skeletons hate the boneless crabs and will help at any chance to repel them)

No wonder They Who Came From The Heavens wants them purged, these people are fucked up.

This is pretty par for the course for minotaurs, admittedly

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Befriend the octopus people and have them join your Giant Enemy Crab skirmish

#SquidGoals

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

This is pretty par for the course for minotaurs, admittedly

do, people often fight minotaurs with skeleton allies?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Crocotta.jpg

those things exist in pathfinder and they are horrifying

just the most chaotic evil fuckers imaginable

• Options
    There is a crab species whose carapace resembles a samurai face mask

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I played Netrunner this weekend for the first time in like 5 months

Goddamn Netrunner is just too good

My only problem with it is I only got into it this year, which means I am absolutely buried in card possibilities, there is just so much shit in that game and I don't know how anybody "catches up"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I played Netrunner this weekend for the first time in like 5 months

Goddamn Netrunner is just too good

My only problem with it is I only got into it this year, which means I am absolutely buried in card possibilities, there is just so much shit in that game and I don't know how anybody "catches up"

Don't, would be honest advice

Get a few friends you like to play with, and stick to that

Catching up cold on the cardpool's gotta be a few hundo, easy

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm sitting tight hoping FFG do some magic for the L5R relaunch

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Oh really? That's fascinating!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

What about exoskeleton-skeletons

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Oh really? That's fascinating!

It looks like this from the inside

The canvas or leather is what keeps the metal plates in place - on the outside, you only see the rivets

The archers in this picture wear brigandines

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Vic wrote: »
    within a larger group, yeah assimilation makes the most amount of sense for the majority, though outside of that, it becomes a more complicated things. I would say should figure out if changelings have an assigned sex at birth or not. if they do, you can build out ideas from there, does it affect forms they take? if it does that mean they take to generalized gender roles of other cultures? if not, then does it matter outside of their base form?

And so on in such a matter. If their sex is completely fluid then yo instead get a people whose sex and gender are probably closely linked, or maybe it's just a flight of fancy at all times.

In short, Changelings are complicated. And you should never let them believe they are the real version of someone they are impersonating.

I've been thinking about this quite a lot, because one of my game story ideas centers around a race of changelings. To my mind it would make most sense for sexuality and gender identity to work mostly like it does for humans only tilted towards pansexuality/genderfluidity, but there would also be issues around body identity in regards to their original body vs shifted forms. My changelings aren't exactly ugly in their original forms, but they are rather plain and gray, and lack most of the gendered characteristics of humans. Along with their sexual preferences and preferred gender, this could lead to some fairly complicated issues that would be (hopefully tastefully) explored by players pursuing romantical relationships with them. Living among humans and being a small (and fairly secretive) culture in that space, it would make sense for them to spend most of their time in human form, including during more casual romantic engagements. Some would be completely gender fluid, happy to favor whatever form their partner is most interested in, or shift as the mood takes them. Others would favor a gender, refusing to pursue a relationship with a person that would be so crass as to expect them to change to suit their preference. Others might insist that both genders are part of their identity and that people unable to find beauty in both sides of them need not apply.

I'd imagine that for most changelings the showing of their original form would be quite an intimate thing, since many of them would consider it unattractive due to the cultural standard for beauty being set by humans, and made all the worse by the fact that a changeling can look any way they like as humans, thus setting an even more unrealistic bar for attractiveness. I think a lot of interesting conversations could spring from that conflict, with the intended overall message being "what I was born as is part of me, but the real me is what I feel, and what I choose to be".

If any of this sounds offensive I'd love feedback on why btw, I realise that my own ideas about gender identity are far from universal.

I think that exploring those themes tastefully could not only add some interesting depth to your world but it could really add depth to the campaign as well. If I were you I'd be tempted to take those posts, take the source material on D&D and post them in a spoiler in the LGBT thread (or just a link to your posts/quotes) and ask for opinions. Hell, going down this rabbit hole almost makes me want to include changelings as a core race Olin my settings going forward just for the constructive questions that arise from them existing.

Edit: I think the tone and care taken to not make this idea a caricature or callous is pretty important.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options

What about exoskeleton-skeletons

while i'm sure it would work for normal necromancy, doesn't seem to do anything for Stableedpoison Swamp's pools of life.

• Options
    what about reverse skeletons, animated flesh parts with no bones or exoskeleton

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular

Ah yes, an ooze.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/skinsend

• Options

they're gross, is what they are.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    DE?AD wrote: »

Wild Elves are Go Nagai-esque berserkers
    Drows.... Harem anime
    Orcs are 90s XTreme western animation

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

As depicted here:

84753.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    You have crab people, how creative do you want to be on variations? Krill swarms as their pets, grand cities formed from barnacles, giant lobsters as their tough bruiser tanks and stomatopods for sneaky rouge crustaceans.

Their god is a sentient coral that has grown beyond the planes of existence

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    No, their God is the malfunctioning Ship's computer that crash landed in the ocean about a hundred years ago. The FTL drive is damaged and emitting strange radiation, which in turn mutated the local population and from them the crab people became the dominate.

the believe that when they have taken the surface and raised their god to land they will be rewarded.

in actuality, it's just a looping message to the support crew (which died on impact with the rest of the crew in cryo) to please pilot the ship to land so it can start waking the crew. However since they can't read the language, and it just shows the ship being moved to land, they assume it is their divine will.

What happens if they ever succeed? No idea. I imagine civil war and a redoubled hatred of the surface.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The ship is humongous, a capitol ship that cannot possibly be raised from its grave

The first children were the world snakes, who grew prideful of their size and power and thus failed to bring about God's will
    The second children were the whales, some of which realized that bringing God to the land would take it away from them and a civil war began. Thus failed to bring about God's will
    The third children rose to the surface on bags of gas, siphonophores of many different functions. They created great colonies on the surface and fought with eachother, forgetting their mission and were destroyed all at once. Thus failed to bring about God's will
    The fourth children had bodies of fish, but when they passed their knowledge to the Fifth children they lost their purpose. Thus failed to bring about God's will
    In the third age of the sun, the fifth child was destroyed by the god of fire
    The sixth children were born of the Tree of Life the Fifth children left behind, trying to bring the Third children back to life. Thus failed to bring about God's will
    We the seventh children possess advanced knowledge, and know God's will cannot be fulfilled. We can only hope it the mercy of death, and thus seek a way of splitting its soul from its body to bring its final rest

VRXwDW7.png
This discussion has been closed.