As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Old thread, go to new thread!

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I would kill for an in depth single player in the Overwatch universe. The shorts are fantastic. The characters have life. The bits we get are just great. I want to see so much more of it.

I don't know how that would work. Balancing a campaign for all the heroes would be impossible and if it just focused on one hero, a lot of people would be disappointed they don't get to play as their favourite.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I know what turned into Overwatch wasn't the MMO they worked on, but I'd play an Overwatch MMO.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I know what turned into Overwatch wasn't the MMO they worked on, but I'd play an Overwatch MMO.

Really gives me that ol' CoH vibe.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I would kill for an in depth single player in the Overwatch universe. The shorts are fantastic. The characters have life. The bits we get are just great. I want to see so much more of it.

I don't know how that would work. Balancing a campaign for all the heroes would be impossible and if it just focused on one hero, a lot of people would be disappointed they don't get to play as their favourite.

They'd probably have to design the campaign so that you were switching heroes every mission, or at most have each mission give you like three set heroes to use and let you switch between them over the course of the mission in response to different situations.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I like how Overwatch members shown in the short are mostly over 30
    atypical from the usual "teenager piloting mech" fare
    unless you count D.VA I suppose

Lots of cool details in the short. I especially like Winston's ape movements.
    Pretty obvious Hearthstone screenshot on Winston's computer but there's also a Warcraft screenshot in the flashback!
    London, Dorado, Numbani are all mentioned in the ticker tape
    View of Earth is not your typical N.American focus, but on Africa. (Though the Earth should be much smaller if seen from the moon)
    A whole bunch of the current roster are not considered Overwatch agents it seems. And there's a 2nd Omnic crisis?

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I like how Overwatch members shown in the short are over 30
    atypical from the usual "teenager piloting mech" fare
    unless you count D.VA I suppose

I mean....you can't get much more stereotypical "teenage piloting a mech" than D.Va....

Not unless you want to go infringing in Gundam territory.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So this may be borderline, so PM me and I'll delete this. Will the cross-game items be via a code? If so, I'm willing to work with/pay someone for the Mercy Wings and, potentially, the baby Winston pet.

However, I'm willing to bet that it's all tied to the game key, based on how this type of stuff has worked for other similar offerings.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2016
    Nope, tied to account. No keys.

Echo on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    there seems to be a bug with that youtube video, it clearly has winston in it but not mei? hello is this thing on

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    A whole bunch of the current roster are not considered Overwatch agents it seems.

The character bios have already revealed not everybody in the game is a member of Overwatch, some of them are pretty clearly villains/antagonists: Obviously Reaper, but also Widowmaker, Junkrat, Roadhog...

Then you've got Hanzo who is basically a ronin... you've got the two robot guys who are just sort of wandering around doing their own thing... Zarya is military, Pharah is a private security firm chief...

I'd say maybe half the overall roster at most is/was actually Overwatch-affiliated?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    A whole bunch of the current roster are not considered Overwatch agents it seems.

The character bios make it pretty clear not everybody in the game is a member of Overwatch, some of them are pretty clearly villains/antagonists. Obviously Reaper, but also Widowmaker, Junkrat, Roadhog...

what is this outrageous racism

the australians are clearly HEROES HEROES I SAY

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

The character bios make it pretty clear not everybody in the game is a member of Overwatch, some of them are pretty clearly villains/antagonists. Obviously Reaper, but also Widowmaker, Junkrat, Roadhog...

Australia, as everyone knows, is populated entirely by criminals.

• Options

Australia, as everyone knows, is populated entirely by criminals.

cryingkoala.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That drop bear is a about to pounce- look at the danger indicator from his eye. Clear giveaway!

Why am I not in the beta!!!!

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I for one wish to know more about these stock characters and their fate as well, especially if they go into fleshing out a singleplayer campaign somewhere down the line.

488W936.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

Oh. My. God.

Thanks for putting something in my head I know I will never see. I think you just gave me depression.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular

They'd probably have to design the campaign so that you were switching heroes every mission, or at most have each mission give you like three set heroes to use and let you switch between them over the course of the mission in response to different situations.

It could probably work similar to Fall of Cybertron where each level is pretty custom tailored to each character's unique gimmick.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

Oh. My. God.

Thanks for putting something in my head I know I will never see. I think you just gave me depression.

I'm sorry, but now we can suffer together

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Interesting how some of the heroes in that last montage are a completely different art style than the others.

A lot of them look like rendered models, but there's a handful of the more dynamic-looking ones that have actual art.

I'd bet those are the ones we should keep our eyes out for in regards to who might be making it into the game eventually.

• Options
    In the group photo, I know that's Widowmaker on the right before she was turned, but is that Reaper on the left? I didn't realize he was former Overwatch.

• Options
    1435714357 Registered User regular
    Yeah. I think you can get his Overwatch skin by pre-ordering or something?

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    In the group photo, I know that's Widowmaker on the right before she was turned, but is that Reaper on the left? I didn't realize he was former Overwatch.

Looks to me more like Pharaoh's mom.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah IIRC wasn't widowmaker not an operative prior to her brainwashing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

She was the wife of an operative.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/19809396/

It's a lengthy(though interesting) read, but yes Reaper was Reyes, and Soldier 76 was Morrison. (second from left)

Their original looks are available as skins in the Origins edition.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »

Looks to me more like Pharaoh's mom.

Oh okay. I remembered she'd been brainwashed and saw a sniper rifle and figured that was her.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

She was the wife of an operative.

yes exactly

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Pharah and Junkrat games tonight were amazing, along with one good King's Row defense as Soldier 76 and a Nepal stage one with an all Junkrat +1 Lucio team win. I'm definitely getting a better sense of what classes I like and what ones I'm not so hot with/dislike. I might be in the minority of not liking Mei (playing as her or fighting her) for example, though I do hear a lot of people in voice chat wishing they'd nerf her (which I disagree with for the most part).

Night like this make me more and more likely to want to buy this game closer to launch.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

It's a lengthy(though interesting) read, but yes Reaper was Reyes, and Soldier 76 was Morrison. (second from left)

I'm a little bothered by how this story plays out as the home-grown, all-american kid from illinois is the good guy and the kid who grew up in in urban LA is the bad guy that blew everything up

obviously there may be more to the story, since the narrator in this article isn't omniscient, but reyes turning into reaper doesn't say good things about his character

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Neither does Morrison turning into Soldier 76, really.

Their conflict was an ugly thing, and what happened to both of them is the result of it.

• Options
    I do understand what you mean, though.

That really is an unfortunate implication.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I'm a little bothered by how this story plays out as the home-grown, all-american kid from illinois is the good guy and the kid who grew up in in urban LA is the bad guy that blew everything up

obviously there may be more to the story, since the narrator in this article isn't omniscient, but reyes turning into reaper doesn't say good things about his character

Listening to the pre-fight chatter, it sounds like Reaper's "death power" is the result of a semi-failed experiment on Mercy's revival technology.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    I thought they fixed the orb stacking

all I saw was that some abilities from other characters can remove the discord orb now

It was from two patches ago I think http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20742695178
    Zenyatta
    * Orb of Harmony and Orb of Discord will no longer stack with each other
    * Transcendence
    * * Ultimate charge cost increased by 25%

Developer comments: Zenyatta’s “orb stacking” could cause some degenerate situations—such as a player becoming nearly un-killable if he or she had several Orbs of Harmony buffs active at the same time. Also, much like Lúcio, we felt like Zenyatta could activate Transcendence too frequently considering its impact on a game, so his Ultimate cost has been scaled up to accommodate.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    so does that mean if you put two orbs of discord on the same person the effect doesn't stack?

the wording is a bit unclear but I think that's what it means

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    So It Goes wrote: »
    so does that mean if you put two orbs of discord on the same person the effect doesn't stack?

the wording is a bit unclear but I think that's what it means

From the quote: "Developer comments: Zenyatta’s “orb stacking” could cause some degenerate situations—such as a player becoming nearly un-killable if he or she had several Orbs of Harmony buffs active at the same time."

I don't think stacking a Discord (from enemy) and harmony (from friendly) would be problematic or require some sort of change, it only really got out of hand when you stacked the same buff (multiple Zenyatta's on a team)

But yeah multiple Discord's should also not stacks now as of the change.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

That's totally projecting your own bias into this minor backstory about a game with talking apes etc.

Your wife will kill you in your sleep, too!

Why the hell am I STILL not in the beta?!

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Dys wrote: »

That's totally projecting your own bias into this minor backstory about a game with talking apes etc.

Your wife will kill you in your sleep, too!

Bitches be crazy.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    14357 wrote: »
    Yeah. I think you can get his Overwatch skin by pre-ordering or something?

This is for the Origins Edition, which I think isn't exactly a pre-order bonus since you can buy it at any time.

APrTGN4.png

exis on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Massive 1.5GB patch coming down the pipe. Get ready for some stuff.

FYJY8P0.jpg

Donnicton on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    http://us.battle.net/foru
    ms/en/overwatch/topic/20742805135
    New Feature: Highlights
    To complement our Play of the Game feature, personal gameplay “highlights” may now be surfaced to players via the main menu after they’ve completed at least one match. The game can currently store up to five of the most recent highlights from your active gaming session.

Please note that there is currently no way to export your highlights from the game client and that all highlights will be reset whenever you log out.
    Updated Feature: Play of the Game
    Overall, the Play of the Game feature has been a lot of fun and well-received by the community. However, there are still a lot of improvements we’d like to make so that the gameplay highlighted at the end of each match is more varied and interesting to watch.

To that end, we will now be capturing different types of gameplay during a match—based on four new categories—and then comparing those moments against each other to find the best Play of the Game for that round of play. The new Play of the Game categories available in this patch are as follows:

High Score: This category is intended to feature large multikills and quick killstreaks. The larger the multikill, the quicker kill streak, and the closer one is to an objective will all increase a player’s “High Score” score. (Note: This is the category under which all existing Plays of the Game would fall.)

Lifesaver: This category is intended to feature situations where one player is able to save another player (or players) from imminent death. For example: If a Reinhardt has an enemy pinned, and that enemy’s teammate stuns or kills the Reinhardt, the teammate would be awarded a large amount of “Lifesaver” score.

Sharpshooter: This category is intended to feature difficult or skillful kills. For this category, the game will be looking at factors like movement speed, the distance at which the attack occurred, whether or not the attack was a headshot, and if the victim of the attack was in the air at the time, etc. Each of these variables will increase a player’s “Sharpshooter” score.

Shutdown: This category is intended to feature moments in which one player kills another player (or players) right as they were about to do something particularly impactful. An example of this would be if a Widowmaker snipes a Lúcio in the middle casting Sound Barrier for his team. In this instance, the game will predict how impactful that Sound Barrier would have been and then award the Widowmaker player an appropriate “Shutdown” score in return.

The player who has the highest score in any one of these four categories at the end of the match will receive the Play of the Game. If the winning Play of the Game category is Lifesaver, Sharpshooter, or Shutdown then the category name will be called out during the highlight intro. If the winning category is High Score, however, no callout will be provided.

With these additions, we’ve also retuned some of the existing Play of the Game ratings to make it more viable for other abilities gain the spotlight—like Mercy’s Resurrect.

Sharpshooter and Shutdown sound like amazing categories that will produce Plays of the Game to be proud of.
    “Healing Done” has replaced “Final Blows” as an available end-of-match medal

Yay!

Rius on
This discussion has been closed.