As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Season 11 on 7/20, Challenge Rifts & Necromancer - Patch 2.6 IS LIVE

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    unRdEyA.png

the story of diablo 3 is a complicated one

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    the story of diablo 3 is a complicated one

Your avatar matches the post perfectly

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Even if they never removed the RMAH it was pretty obvious the bottom was going to drop out. If it existed today their would be item farmers all over the world playing 12-14 hours a day.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The smart ones would just be using bots... like they do today.

D3:ROS was real great for two years there... now that the tap of content is pretty much peetered out its hard to come back to it. Seasons are a good excuse to play a little bit here and there I guess but now that i have all the stash pages I don't think I'm going to worry about finishing anymore of them any time soon. Guess we'll see how much stuff the necro will introduce.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    D3 story is very bad. D3 gameplay since Reaper of Souls has been nothing but excellent. I guess the biggest criticism now is that it's getting long in the tooth. But for a game you only pay for once they've supported it really well.

We really could use another expansion or a new game, but honestly I wonder if they'll make any more major Diablo content. Necromancer I guess, but I mean mostly new content.

I'm thinking that further D3 content is going to rely on how well Necromancer sells.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    If they kept changing the meta with new sets, kept adding more legendaries to vary the play style, that would be enough "new meta" for me.

But coming back for multiple seasons and its like "oh still the EXACT SAME builds for every class" ? Fuck that. Its old and its boring.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    If they kept changing the meta with new sets, kept adding more legendaries to vary the play style, that would be enough "new meta" for me.

But coming back for multiple seasons and its like "oh still the EXACT SAME builds for every class" ? Fuck that. Its old and its boring.

yeah, or at least take a real balance pass at the worst performing set each time. wizards are particularly bad at set balance right now

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I wish they would go back to what they said long ago which is to have one set for each class that is on par with each other. That way everybody can have fun and not have to group up to push higher ones as a support class.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    It's unfortunate in retrospect that they crammed a ton of huge changes and new builds into just three consecutive patches.

Seasons 3-5 were very exciting because of that. And 6 too, even though it was pretty much "5 with bigger numbers".

So now, on top of many players running out of tabs to get, we are heading into "season 6" for a fourth time, with everything they've indicated for "2.5" coming season 10 at the earliest. No necro until probably 12.

I hope the necro won't be too little too late for most folks. It'd be great for them to get some revenue and hopefully keep the patches coming. Would love to see the hearthstone model here, getting something every 3-4 months... paid, free, paid, free, etc.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    To be perfectly honest I think they took D3 too far. This game had a good run, and RoS was a really good revamp that they literally supported for years. At this point, whatever resources they dedicated to Necro and all this other stuff could've been better spent elsewhere.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Honestly at this point D3 is a fine game to hop onto every so often, maybe play a few days to complete your seasonal journey, and then move onto other things. RoS did a lot of things to improve the game, and give it a few more years of mileage than it ever would have achieved had it stayed the course of vanilla. I know I was done with the game until they announced Loot 2.0, and then the removal of the auction house. However, now several years removed from that point, and many additions since, it's pretty clear that D3 has had it's run. There's just not enough depth to character building, or the loot itself to sustain the game in the same way something like D2 has.

I like the game. I think it's moment to moment combat is the best the genre has ever seen. It has an extremely high level of production and polish that few companies can match. However, for my money, limiting character building, and balancing around sets is a huge dagger in the heart. I know they've tried to bandaid this with LoN, but ultimately there's very little room to experiment and come up with your own thing. Blizzard clearly decided that sets and set bonuses would be the end all be all. To the point where seasons seem like repeats if they aren't changing set bonuses, or adding new sets. I have major problems with itemization that I could write a novel about, but ultimately I think the focus on sets has hurt the game's longevity for me above all else.

I had fun coming back this season and doing a multishot DH for a few days and pounding out my season journey. I doubt I'll go back for this season, and maybe not the next. Which is fine. I've been on and off with this game since closed beta. I'll certainly buy the Necromancer pack and play it. I'd probably buy additional packs if they decide to make more. Like I said before: D3 plays extremely well. It's just a lot of the stuff going on beneath the combat that is kinda shallow for me.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I've pretty much had my fill of D3, but it was a fun ride for a while. Would really have loved for seasons to have a bit more variety in them. Probably just going to wait for next expansion/sequel at this point.

I will take this opportunity to mention that Path of Exile is also a great ARPG and they have really cool twists introduced with each new "league" (or season).

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    So hm, a bunch of unexpected set changes appeared in the new PTR patch:

Wastes 6pc: Whirlwind gains the effect of the Dust Devils rune and Dust Devils all Whirlwind damage is increased to 2500% weapon damage by 400%
    ( nerfs nados but shifts a ton of damage to the barb )

Rolands 4pc: buffed from 750% to 1250%
    Rolands 6pc: buffed from 10% DR per stack to 15%

Marauder 6pc: buffed from 800% to 1200%

Inna's 6pc: buffed from 50% damage per ally to 100%

Arachyr 6pc: buffed from 1500% damage to 2400% damage

Delsere 6pc: buffed from 2000% in slow time to 2800% in slow time

Also a pretty nice change to go along with the increase in density, "...the experience and Greater Rift progression awarded for defeating many smaller monsters has been increased"

Noggin on
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Well, that seals Arachyr as being the firebats set of choice.

Might make the WW ring worth using on barbs now.

Makes Marauder competitive with 5 sents down.. well, it already did more damage when you had all 5 down, the pain is still managing the sentries and moving quickly. UE still does that better, but I'm sure someone will figure out a way to do higher rifts now with marauder.

Can't comment on sader, don't play it enough, but numbers look nice :/

Don't think Innas buff will make it competitive, but I'm probably wrong, I don't know much about monks either haha.

Won't change a thing for Delsere, still not a good set compared to FB for groups, Archon is still too strong to give up imo.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Ya, it's a good thing wizards have 4 sets so they can play Spectral Blades, Archon, Archon, or even Archon.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Roland's probably needs the buff. The set's pretty bad. It's basically impossible to kill anything without the Shield Glare flail.

Hopefully it's helpful. I'm kind of tired of getting through a GR with time to spare only to find it takes forever to kill the boss because I have no single target damage.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    The wastes change is kind of funny sad too

Because even though it makes more sense, the set dungeon is going to suck even more with weaker tornadoes

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Oh shit. Wasn't considering that. Yeah, RIP Wastes. Perhaps it'll force them to change the dungeon requirements to something less silly. I still don't know why rend is even the 2pc bonus if it interrupts your WW to use it.

Just change it to:
    2pc: rage gen
    4pc: damage reduction can stay
    6pc: new bonus

Removes the need to be locked in to the BK weaps for WW too

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    While I don't think 400% is tuned high enough, that is how wastes should have worked from the very beginning. The all of the power is in the nados not the barb was terrible, terrible design.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    how to fix wizards (a short guide)

FUCK CHANTODOS

BUFF THE REST

tyvm

• Options
    Ya, I think that should probably be 600 or more, but I'm very glad to see it move to the barb anyway.

I hope they get it to a good place. Free Might into Wastes would breathe some life back into season 9 for me.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Arachyr History:

6 pieces: [The damage of your creature skills is increased by 500%. Creature skills are Corpse Spiders, Plague of Toads, Firebats, Hex, and Piranhas.] (2.3)

Damage bonus increased from 500% to 800% (2.3.0a)

Damage bonus increased from 800% to 1200% (2.4)

Damage bonus increased from 1200% to 1500% (2.4.1)

Damage bonus increased from 1500 to 2400% (2.4.3)

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    edit - removed misinformation, below still applies :razz:

As usual, diablo math remains an insane mess.

Noggin on
  • Options
    I thought skull grasp got made into a straight multiplicative buff a few patches ago?

• Options
    edited December 2016
    edit - bad math!

Noggin on
  • Options
    it used to be additive, they changed it to multiplicative

• Options
    edited December 2016
    So do you know how it affects dust devils then? I couldn't find a definitive answer.

That'd mean now it's either 1360% on barb and 10,000% on tornadoes.... or 1360% on barb and 2500% on tornadoes.

Likewise the new one would be 6800% on barb and 2400% on tornadoes... or 6800% and 600%.

OR it could get even weirder and the 6pc and skull grasp are additive to each other and then it's only 2720% & 600% or 2720% & 960%....
    Noggin wrote: »
    As usual, diablo math remains an insane mess.

Noggin on
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    see317 wrote: »
    D3 story is very bad. D3 gameplay since Reaper of Souls has been nothing but excellent. I guess the biggest criticism now is that it's getting long in the tooth. But for a game you only pay for once they've supported it really well.

We really could use another expansion or a new game, but honestly I wonder if they'll make any more major Diablo content. Necromancer I guess, but I mean mostly new content.

I'm thinking that further D3 content is going to rely on how well Necromancer sells.

Both D3 and ROS sold very well. I don't think the hesitation to commit on their end is really an economic concern, D4 or another expansion would do fine. I think it's more about whether they could refine or improve the experience in some way to make it more compelling, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of drive at the company to do that at the moment.

Roz on
  • Options
    I did some ww testing and confirmed that skull grasp does multiply both.

So... (spoilered for maaath)
    ...the correct numbers are:
    live: 1360% barb and 10000% dust devil
    PTR: 6800% barb and 2400% dust devil.

It's a little tricky because tornadoes don't always pop up a number and when they do it seems to be the sum of 2 ticks.

I was also thrown off because WW was doing 300k on live and 600k on ptr (without 6pc). I confirmed that all gear and stuff was the same, and even that a bash on either version did 177k, then noticed that on ptr the numbers were coming less often, so again it appeared to be a sum of 2 ticks.

So finally, the damage comparison between the two checked out with the percentages, 5x more barb damage for 4.16..67 less on tornadoes.

300k whirlwind on live varied between 1.5mil and 3mil on ptr.

5million dust devil on live became 1.2million on ptr.

tldr... the numbers don't look great, but it still feels a lot smoother and more in control.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Arachyr History:

6 pieces: [The damage of your creature skills is increased by 500%. Creature skills are Corpse Spiders, Plague of Toads, Firebats, Hex, and Piranhas.] (2.3)

Damage bonus increased from 500% to 800% (2.3.0a)

Damage bonus increased from 800% to 1200% (2.4)

Damage bonus increased from 1200% to 1500% (2.4.1)

Damage bonus increased from 1500 to 2400% (2.4.3)

RoS in a nutshell. Remember, 6 piece sets weren't even a thing in 2.0.1, our idea of a cool set bonus was stuff like "Call of the Ancients last until they die." Then in 2.2 they went really crazy and added a 6 piece bonus with a whopping +100% damage.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    After managing to find the three items I need to try out a slightly modified setup, I did this
    kXcj1qy.jpg
    The grift was actually really good both with enemy variants and density, I can probably go one or two higher with one of the same or similar quality.

butts
  • Options
    Season 8 ending December 30th

Season 9 starting January 6th

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Some PTR Hotfixes going out:

Barb:
    Whirlwind - Dust Devils damage increased from 120% to 180%
    6pc Wastes: Increased from 400% to 800% @HexDex !

edit - that puts the barb's WW about 22% higher than current tornadoes, with only about a 33% nerf to tornadoes.

Doc:
    Spirit Barrage - Phantasm
    Fixed an unintended interaction where Phantasm would benefit from additional bonus damage when prematurely detonated and modified by both the Barber and Gazing Demise (12/16)

Juggernaut monsters now take 30% extra damage from all sources (to offset Trapped not working on them)

15% damage nerfs to succubi, khazra spears, and ice porcupine icicles

Greater rifts:
    - Greater Rifts now spawn Hellhide Tremors, Disentombed Hulks, Sand Dwellers, and Colossol Golgors with other monsters in somewhat larger groups (12/16)

- Greater Rifts now spawn somewhat fewer Sand Wasps and Fallen Grunts on floors where they appear (12/16)

Noggin on
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Anyone want to help me unlock the stash tab for the season? :( I'm a hoarder.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Nice. 800% is much closer to the mark. I can live with that. Now if they can just get rid of rend for something useful....

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I don't know what this is, as I've only recently started playing again. Want more stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I don't know what this is, as I've only recently started playing again. Want more stuff.

Every season there are a number of challenges. Once you complete a certain level of challenges the game rewards you with a new tab in your shared stash. By completing seasonal challenges you can eventually get 10 tabs in your shared stash.

• Options
    After seeing a WW video, it looks like it may still just be a speed torment build and not really for pushing.

I was wondering why they were using avalanche, but...

220% per second rend * 6 from 2pc * 3 from 4pc = 3960% damage / second

1320% per second volcano * 3 from dread iron = 3960% damage / second, no fury cost

and they wonder why people call for them to balance the SKILLS instead of multipliers

lol

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Does Avalanche have a cast time? If no then that's a huge benefit for the skill over fucking rend.

butts
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    They took a good portion of D3 and put it in WoW. Probably the best spells in the game right now.

oHw5R0V.jpg
This discussion has been closed.