As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Brussels Bombings] 31~ Dead, 250~ Injured

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
edited March 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
Good news, everyone: explosions occurred in Brussels Airport today & a metro train, killing at least 21~ people as of this writing and maiming at least 55~ others. Because why try to enjoy life when you can waste it building & planting bombs?

:|
Alex Rossi wrote:
I could feel the building move. There was also dust and smoke as well...I went towards where the explosion came from and there were people coming out looking very dazed and shocked.

The thinking here is that it is some kind of terrorist attack - that hasn't been verified by any of the authorities here at the airport.

There are early reports of Arabic shouting before the bombs exploded. That may just be imagined, or perhaps people making an improper biased causal link, but it's also pretty reasonable to suspect Wahhabi involvement right now.

This also comes a few days after the capture of Salah Abdeslam, who was involved in the Paris attacks.

Best wishes to the injured, condolences to the families of the fallen, all the world to the first responders.

Terrible way to start the week.

EDIT: And now a further explosion has been reported at a metro station in the capital.

Early reports are that the bomb went off in a train, and there are apparently photographs of people coming out of the metro covered in the blood of the presumably dead. I would request that nobody post those photographs or links to them here, please.

How much worse does Tuesday get? Well, let's find out.

With Love and Courage
The Ender on

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Terrible news and a horrible tragedy. Again. Purely armchair strategising but I would not be surprised if this was the remainder of Salah Abdeslam's cell mobilising quickly after the raids earlier this week as they must surely expect a raid to come through their own window sometime soon.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Not fun to wake up to this.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Belgian authorities are saying explosions at airport were suicide bombings. Metro station that was bombed is stones throw away from European Commission Headquarters and European Union Council building.

From euobserver:
    euoberver wrote:
    Belgium's prosecutor said two suicide attackers struck at Zaventem airport on the outskirts of the city, killing at least 13 people and injuring 35 more.

Another blast caused casualties at the Maelbeek metro station in the EU district in central Brussels. Some local reports suggested 10 people had been killed.

Map courtesy of BBC:

_88891444_bombthree.png

I know a few people living in Brussels who do EU related work, grateful it looks like they are all ok.

wilting on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    This is a shitty thing to wake up to.

TV news report right now is talking about how the Brussels airport and metro station were already on "high alert" because of the Abdeslam arrest, looking out for members who might be passing through to scatter.

But what does high alert mean, security wise? it's hard to imagine what can be meaningfully done to prevent something like this.

This is only going to further inflame nativist and right-wing political parties in Europe.

I feel sick.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    The fact that they could actively do this in response to the Paris attacker getting swifted just a couple of days ago says some particularly not good things. Especially in the context of the Paris attacker ability to avoid detection.

I imagine the Police and intelligence services are having to ask themselves some serious questions.

• Options
    Casualties revised down to about 10-11~ for the airport, and early reports suggest 10~ at the metro station.

Apparently the airport bomb was set-off at a check-in desk.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Leitner wrote: »
    The fact that they could actively do this in response to the Paris attacker getting swifted just a couple of days ago says some particularly not good things. Especially in the context of the Paris attacker ability to avoid detection.

I imagine the Police and intelligence services are having to ask themselves some serious questions.

Swifted?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

TV news report right now is talking about how the Brussels airport and metro station were already on "high alert" because of the Abdeslam arrest, looking out for members who might be passing through to scatter.

But what does high alert mean, security wise? it's hard to imagine what can be meaningfully done to prevent something like this.

This is only going to further inflame nativist and right-wing political parties in Europe.

I feel sick.

High alert usually means things like dogs on patrol and a few extra security staff looking for suspicious activity.

I think you're absolutely right; there's limited things one can reasonably do to try and prevent this kind of attack if someone wants to do it.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

I feel sick.

Yeah, I'm actually kind of surprised it took this long (in the West, anyway, don't forget the Moscow attack several years ago) for someone to just attack the pre-security area of an airport. It's almost like there isn't anything you can really do at the target location to stop a truly determined attacker.

Brussels is a really underrated city, hopefully they rebound quickly.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

American airlines, specifically.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

I feel sick.

Not just Europe. Prepare for the "serious foreign policy" people to start falling in behind Trump.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    wilting wrote: »

Good.

That is very good.

BRB I'm going to go drink some bleach.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TV news saying at least 21 dead (11 at airport, 10 at metro), 55 wounded

The anchors are really latching on the official statement that Brussels was "hit by blind attacks", being critical that the attacks should have been anticipated because of the Abdeslam arrests

How though?? How do you prevent an attack at crowded transport hubs without shutting down the city and raiding everyone who looks kind of brown?

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Belgian royal palace has been evacuated.

EDIT: TV news now saying at least 30 dead.

Hakkekage on
  • Options

The anchors are really latching on the official statement that Brussels was "hit by blind attacks", being critical that the attacks should have been anticipated because of the Abdeslam arrests

How though?? How do you prevent an attack at crowded transport hubs without shutting down the city and raiding everyone who looks kind of brown?

Some of it is just Monday Night Quarterbacking bullshit. People who want to pretend that perfect security is a realistic goal / expectation.

Some of it is people who think that racial / religious profiling is an acceptable price to pay (well, for other people to pay) for whatever marginal increase in security it would provide.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »

Swifted?

Apologies. arrested.

Strong network of intelligence, and all the work that goes around that, same that most other countries do. They should have been on high alert, and actioning everything that they had. Especially with something like a suicide bombing. A knife attack, or car, yes, there's only so much you can do to avoid someones who's self radicalized then done that. A suicide bombing though? There's more to that, and there is prevention work that you can do.

But I guess we've got to look at this in the context of Belgium being a serious hot bed of extremism, who generates the highest per capita number of IS fighters, whilst not really being in a position of having the police or security services with the experience or knowledge to deal with that (IIRC the NYPD and Met Police Force have more officers than their entire country).

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

the answer is you don't

we have never found an effective response to guerilla tactics in any era of history

• Options
    Radio is saying at least 28 dead, now. Not sure where they're getting this.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, AP seems to have mistranslated a statement by a Belgian spokesperson talking about the amount of wounded people at the metro station into "police station". A few outlets have picked it up, but if you hear about wounded at a police station near the EU quarter or an attack on a police station, that's an error.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Radio is saying at least 28 dead, now. Not sure where they're getting this.

Numbers are fluctuating pretty wildly right now; I think I'll wait an hour or so to update the tally.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

From the BBC:
    The information we have so far suggests the bombings at Brussels airport happened before any security checks, in the public drop-off area. So it doesn't look like a security lapse at the scanning area.

There is a limit to what you can do at airports to stop this sort of attack. Prevention is more reliant on getting intelligence beforehand. American Airlines has told us they were not the nearest check-in desk.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I feel sick.

Not just Europe. Prepare for the "serious foreign policy" people to start falling in behind Trump.

Can we please not?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    On NPR just now the Belgium news was apparently saying there might be 2 metro stations, but the second is unconfirned

• Options
    Huge jump in injured numbers. 136 injured they're saying now

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

From the BBC:
    The information we have so far suggests the bombings at Brussels airport happened before any security checks, in the public drop-off area. So it doesn't look like a security lapse at the scanning area.

There is a limit to what you can do at airports to stop this sort of attack. Prevention is more reliant on getting intelligence beforehand. American Airlines has told us they were not the nearest check-in desk.

Yup. There's little doubt in my mind that they walked into the airport and then specifically chose to target the American Airlines desk to maximize the antagonism of the act.

*drinks bleach*

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    On NPR just now the Belgium news was apparently saying there might be 2 metro stations, but the second is unconfirned

Please no. Just no.

No more Goddamn bombs.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Its at least close to 20 killed though. From the Airport and the Metro combined.

But an exact number will be hard to get until all the wounded get out of surgery. There are probably a few there that where reported as dying.

At least that's the hope.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That seems to be what CBS was reporting were probably controlled explosions by the bomb squad

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I was watching some of the coverage on BBC1 and had to turn it over. It's disgusting how aggressively the anchors and reporters push people to describe in detail how terrible the sight was and how upset they were.

"There was lots of blood wasn't there." "Tell us about all the glass and smoke." Eugh.

Stay safe anyone in the area.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

From the BBC:

Yup. There's little doubt in my mind that they walked into the airport and then specifically chose to target the American Airlines desk to maximize the antagonism of the act.

*drinks bleach*

But the BBC says the opposite? That AA wasn't the nearest check-in desk.

• Options
    If they flushed a cell like they were saying, there's a good chance this could have been much worse, no matter how bad it gets. Having access to this level of explosives means that a well planned attack could have thrown deaths into triple digits.

Not a lot of comfort, but some.

• Options
    edited March 2016

From the BBC:

*drinks bleach*

But the BBC says the opposite? That AA wasn't the nearest check-in desk.

My understanding of the article, and I could be wrong, is that the AA wasn't the nearest check-in desk but it was still the one the bomber targeted? I.E., he could've chosen a closer target, but instead chose to walk further into the airport to explode in front of an AA desk?

EDIT: No, I'm wrong. AA has been pretty adamant that it didn't occur at their check-in.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    If they flushed a cell like they were saying, there's a good chance this could have been much worse, no matter how bad it gets. Having access to this level of explosives means that a well planned attack could have thrown deaths into triple digits.

Not a lot of comfort, but some.

Yeah, it seems pretty likely that a cell accelerated their plans in light of the capture of Abdeslam - especially since the media reported that he was willing to talk.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    :( Fuck

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton speaks to TODAY by telephone in the wake of apparent terror attacks that have killed at least 26 in Belgium and says the number of casualties is "deeply distressing." She says that we have to work more closely with European allies to track potential terrorists and that the "dream of a whole, free Europe" at peace is one that "should not be walked away from," but we do have to be realistic about how people move from place to place. She acknowledges that Americans have a right to be frightened after San Bernardino but that experienced military leaders say techniques like waterboarding are not effective: Officials "do not need to resort to torture, but they are going to need more help." She says "terrorists are not stupid" and are adapting: "We've got to work this through consistent with our values."

(Phone in interview)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I am following BBC live updates here if anyone else is interested

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-35869266?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

NY Times: What we know (warning, some photography that may be distressing, no gore though): http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/23/world/europe/brussels-attacks-what-we-know-and-dont-know.html?_r=0

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I look forward to the days when these events are remembered with the same intensity as the horse drawn carriage bomb detonated on wall street by Italian anarchists.

• Options
  • Options

Many fall in the face of chaos, but not this one. Not today.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Mr Rogers wrote:
    When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping'.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png