As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    So I have a hookup for free Refractory sheet board. Not sure exact type but looking through it should suit my temperature needs just fine (Bismuth and Aluminum). I'm still looking at burners, may swing by Lowes/Home Depot tomorrow to see what is available as far as burners go. This may be moving ahead quicker than I thought which is good because I've been kind of in planning stage for too long and I think its just time to start working on this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Z2FQ/ ??

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    @Radiation you could use a weed burner to fire a forge/foundry, but it'd suck down a lot of gas and you'd need to modify it so you can control the air intake. if you're just melting bismuth and aluminum you don't much need to worry about getting as much heat out of the thing as you can, but it makes sense to overbuild it now rather than try to kludge later on if you decide you want to cast copper or brass or bronze

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I think Bronze may be a bit away for me. I do want to be able to control temperature somewhat in the forge so I do want to be able to dial things in as needed. Also I won't be too bent out of shape if this requires a rebuild later down the line as I see things aren't working or as I research. Again, material is free as the guy tosses out the scraps usually and this gives me an easy test bed.

I did initially think about a weed burner as I've used those in the past and one of the youtube videos had a guy use one.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    also for bismuth, you need to be really careful about the environment you melt it in. it oxidizes really easily, so if your burner is running lean you'll lose a whole lot of what's in your crucible each time you heat it up

you actually might be better off just using a hot plate or camp stove

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Did some work on the used dolls I've collected from Ebay. Basically looking more closely at what I've got, removing clothes and accessories, deciding if I want to keep the factory hair and boil washing those, and cleaning off some factory faces. The line of dolls I've been working with is called Monster High, and I'm really starting to understand why these are popular dolls to repaint. First of all, they're ball jointed, which makes them a lot more posable than the fashion dolls I had as a kid. On top of that, though, the manufacturers didn't just have one doll form with pallet swaps - each doll has it's own sculpt, which i find amazing. Not just head sculpts, either - hand sculpts and body sculpts are varied as well. I even found one among my ebay cache that was a head shorter than all the rest.

So yeah, easy to see why these dolls are popular in general and popular for painting. Mattel didn't go as lazy with these as they might have, and that's appreciated.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    got a question. i been laying in the pattern on my mokume gane billets with a carbide cutter on a dremel, but it just takes goddamn forever. i'm not particularly averse to spending a long time on something, but to make this thing anywhere near profitable i need to cut the production time down a lot. anyone know of a rotary tool that's more powerful than a dremel but isn't a full-on die grinder?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I really liked the die grinder at work and could get fairly precise with it. Why are you adverse to die grinder?

Is it really curved? Is there a scroll saw for metal?

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    it's a flat sheet that i'm carving lines into the face of, like the one a page back, i can't think of a way to use a scroll saw to do it. i suppose a die grinder would work though it's pretty big, but i'm using pretty small bits so i reckon i might need to get a smaller collet

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You could get a CNC engraving setup, but that's really expensive.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    do you need a deep carve, and is accuracy a needed thing? because if not, the chisel side of a riveting hammer (or even just a chisel) might do the job.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    i actually have tried both, neither worked i think because neither actually removes material, they just leave a divot that gets filled in when i flatten the billet back out. we just ordered a beefier rotary tool which i think will work better, now just gotta wait for it to show up

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I know it's not exactly best practices but have you tried the edge of a bench grinder wheel?

• Options
    now that is an interesting idea. i think i'll give that a shot

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Ah, I thought you might have. I have no other ideas.

No wait, have you considered acid etching? You're doing it for texture, or something else?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    By acid etching, I mean marking the piece up with a particular type of marker (certain ones work better as a resist) and immersing it into heated ferric chloride for at least 45 minutes. That method produces wavy patterns in the etch, while non-heated bubbling produces a cleaner etch.

Edit: Staedler markers, green and red specifically, are the ones I was taught work best among markers as resist

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    etching might work, i think i'm gonna try that. i have some ferric chloride i got to try as a patinator and it worked really well. i used to use sharpie as a resist when i was building guitar pedals, i think i'll try that tomorrow

also we have a new addition to our workshop

7m7O0JQ.jpg

weirdo nerd included for scale

• Options
    Ah, I see you grow your beard wide. My own grows long.

I find this interesting and amusing

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    mine grows

mangy

=/

• Options
    Ah, I see you grow your beard wide. My own grows long.

I find this interesting and amusing

it is Unruly

• Options
    DildoOfCarthageDildoOfCarthage Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Taking a little break from knitting a million hats to do a different kind of tedious, eye straining knitting for a craft show coming up.

S1IHDN8.jpg

Note to self: don't finish a strip of 4-in-1 and then decide to make it 8-in-2 as an afterthought.

DildoOfCarthage on
  • Options
    you should rivet them all

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The latest Humble Book Bundle is Cosplay themed with multiple guides up for grabs, like Adam Savage's mold making primer, Punished Props Foamsmith tutorial, and guides to small electronics and making a kitchen vacuu-former.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Ah man all the fun ones are way up there

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    The latest Humble Book Bundle is Cosplay themed with multiple guides up for grabs, like Adam Savage's mold making primer, Punished Props Foamsmith tutorial, and guides to small electronics and making a kitchen vacuu-former.

I... Might need to get in on that

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Thank you for pointing this out! I went for the first two tiers. I don't do cosplay but molding, wearable electronics, and weathering are topics I'm interested in.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    @Caulk Bite 6 good call once again on the ferric chloride etching, i'm just testing it right now but it looks like it's gonna work

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Cool, glad to be of help.

By the by, what metal were you patinating with ferric chloride? I only heard of it as an etchant, so it never occurred to me to use it for patina

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    i was using it on copper and brass. it did a pretty good job of differentiating between the two because the stuff seems to react much less with brass, i'm not sure how well it'd work on just one metal

• Options
    I'm guessing you weren't immersing and heating it before, then?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    So I'm finishing up my son's Halloween costume, and I'm rather proud of what I've built. Would it be alright to post pictures in this thread or should I go into a more appropriate thread as we get closer to the holiday?

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Please to be making post

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    So I'm finishing up my son's Halloween costume, and I'm rather proud of what I've built. Would it be alright to post pictures in this thread or should I go into a more appropriate thread as we get closer to the holiday?

you can also put it in the Halloween thread which already exists for maximum coverage

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I've finished my first doll face:

FHdUCW9.png

I also dressed her up in some of the clothes that came with the dolls, since I haven't finished any clothes of my own design yet. I did make an edit to those shoes, though: they had an awful neon green paint on them and I removed that. They seem much more stylish this way.

Also from this photo you may notice I tried my hand with making a light box. I'm not sure I'm using it right? I don't think I have enough direct light. Here it is without the lightbox:

IUYYAdc.png

I haven't made a wig yet. I'm putting that off. I did actually buy some flocking to try other hair techniques on these dolls, but the type of flocking I bought requires me to make an electrostatic device so the hair stands up when I apply it (fo' real).

The next doll I'm going to paint is this one:

FATFS5k.png

This is a doll I bought new, so I'm keeping her hair this time. You may notice that with this scuplt, the eyelid is raised. Not sure if I'll like that or not when I get to painting.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    A lady in my knitting group made this "smitten"

It's sort of a joke item "for couple who can't stop holding hands"

kvf5m7hso91s.jpg

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    amazing

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    i have so many things to block....

including 2 shawls. so nervous about it for some reason

edit: things are now blocking! i'll take photos when the baby lets me. Kinda proud of myself!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    In today's class, we learned how to make hinges! I did not make one myself, because I couldn't think of anything to do, but I have the knowledge of it, now

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    have i mentioned how much i love my cats?
    KB3CkC8l.jpg
    she is either smug or completely smitten with me, because she is sitting inches away from the evidence and just so happy to see me.

(this one doesn't have the brainpower for any ill intent. no, she got to wrassle with some weird-smelling string and decorate the house, and oh, hey, the tall one is here!)
    at least i have a ball-winder. i just wish i could get away with leaving yarn vulnerable without a house goblin running merry with it.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular