As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Do you have a frosting recipe that's giving you trouble, or are you looking for a frosting recipe for a specific purpose?

I have a wilton recipe, I'm open to other recommendations, and have general "how do I shot web" questions.

Long story short I'm going to attempt white chocolate buttercream frosting. I've never made frosting before and am not much of a baker.

The general questions are things like "shortening vs butter" my wife (the baker, for whom I'm doing this as a surprise), says for a white buttercream it's best to use shortening and butter flavor, since actual butter yellows it.

Then there's milk vs heavy whipping cream? Maybe a mix of both? Uhh... meringue powder? Should I, and how?

Here is the Wilton recipe, but they've got several, that use different things. And then there's the tips I've picked up from my wife that I know she prefers to do.

So I guess mostly I'm curious has anybody ever made white chocolate buttercream frosting before, how did it go, and what if any tricks do folks recommend?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Do you have a frosting recipe that's giving you trouble, or are you looking for a frosting recipe for a specific purpose?

I have a wilton recipe, I'm open to other recommendations, and have general "how do I shot web" questions.

Long story short I'm going to attempt white chocolate buttercream frosting. I've never made frosting before and am not much of a baker.

The general questions are things like "shortening vs butter" my wife (the baker, for whom I'm doing this as a surprise), says for a white buttercream it's best to use shortening and butter flavor, since actual butter yellows it.

Then there's milk vs heavy whipping cream? Maybe a mix of both? Uhh... meringue powder? Should I, and how?

Here is the Wilton recipe, but they've got several, that use different things. And then there's the tips I've picked up from my wife that I know she prefers to do.

So I guess mostly I'm curious has anybody ever made white chocolate buttercream frosting before, how did it go, and what if any tricks do folks recommend?

does it need to be perfectly white or are you going to dye it? if you're adding coloring, a paste or whatever, it would generally be strong enough to cover the color of what butter is in there. if you want pure white wedding cake style frosting then you'd want to avoid butter, yeah

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oof. I can't really help you with the whiteness part, as the only buttercream frosting I've ever made is a French style from The Cake Bible that contains egg yolks, so it's aggressively yellow. I will say that if you're going to substitute shortening for butter in something like icing, I'd go with stick margarine rather than anything in a tub. It's going to give you the closest texture to butter in the end product. Using something like Crisco in place of butter will result in a greasier texture than stick margarine.

I've never made a buttercream with meringue, but I have used both meringue powder and real meringue in royal icing. You just mix the powder with water and whip it up until it forms stiff peaks. Just like egg whites, but less temperamental. There are a lot of people who insist that true meringue tastes better in icing, but I've never been able to tell much of a difference. In the context of buttercream, I would only bother with a meringue base if you're planning on doing fancy piping. Meringue gives you a lighter, firmer icing that holds its shape better, but also forms that slight "crust."

Similarly, using whipping cream instead of milk should give you a denser and more flavorful icing, but you're not going to be piping any perfect roses out of it. Milk will make it easier to whip air into the icing, adding lightness and firmness, making it better for shaping.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I have two 6.5lb briskets in the smoker right now. Been going for a few hours. They smell SO GOOD.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I have two 6.5lb briskets in the smoker right now. Been going for a few hours. They smell SO GOOD.

I'm glad you made enough to share with the thread

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I still intend to smoke some ribs before grilling weather is gone for the year.

I found a rather labor intense method of using my tiny charcoal grill as a smoker you see, hopefully I can pull it off.

Edit : okay looking at the weather I guess I'll try to do this on Friday or Saturday finally. Hopefully my thermometer will work. And these ribs aren't too big for my grill given I am only using half of it. And that I have enough charcoal.

I have a pre-made Kansas city style rub set aside. You guys think I should thaw these starting tonight, brine them in the next few days and give em the rub the night before? Also what kind of sauce should I grab for them since I just realized I don't have any?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »

I found a rather labor intense method of using my tiny charcoal grill as a smoker you see, hopefully I can pull it off.

Edit : okay looking at the weather I guess I'll try to do this on Friday or Saturday finally. Hopefully my thermometer will work. And these ribs aren't too big for my grill given I am only using half of it. And that I have enough charcoal.

I have a pre-made Kansas city style rub set aside. You guys think I should thaw these starting tonight, brine them in the next few days and give em the rub the night before? Also what kind of sauce should I grab for them since I just realized I don't have any?

What kind of Ribs?

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

What kind of Ribs?

Baby back. They are smaller so I figured they would fit better.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    So I'd start thawing around Tuesday if you're cooking Friday. Trim off any extra fat and wash them off in the sink. Coat with a thin layer of olive oil then rub down with dry rub an hour or two before smoking and call it good. I'm not a big believer in brine though. Maybe a half hour or so before they are done, pull them off and sauce them, then throw them back on to finish if you want wet ribs. I prefer sauced baby backs, but all other ribs and meat I just prefer dry rub.

I like sweet baby ray's original sauce if I'm buying from a store. There is a local bbq place here in town that makes a bitchin' honey bourbon bbq sauce though and I grab that when I can.

Everybody is different though!

webguy20 on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    man

i wish brisket was a readily available cut of beef down here.

i think i did see some at the halal butchers though.

might have to go back.

• Options
    Spoilered for Meaty Goodness. It was quite tasty. Wish I could find a full sized 12-16lb brisket though. A lot of the butcher shops just stock the flat.
    l22mukbad2ix.jpg

tu8uqxvqvqfb.jpg

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That is a good-looking-ass brisket

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    unf.

that's not fair.

• Options
    It was stupid good. I cooked a 2nd one so it's going to be brisket mac and cheese tomorrow, brisket scramble on Tuesday, and brisket sandwiches for lunch. :)

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    brisket...

I dunno i guess people tend to overcook them? Had it a few times, they all looked pretty much like the pictures above.

But still felt dry.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Brisket is the most challenging cut to get right in a smoker.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Don't forget, when you put air into the butter it'll lighten the colour, plus you're putting in white chocolate and icing sugar which will pull the colour back as well.

I'd just not worry about it really.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The main difference I've noticed between shortening and butter in frosting is a shortening based frosting is a lot more shelf stable and you don't have to worry about keeping the cake chilled like you would if you use butter.

• Options
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Brisket is the most challenging cut to get right in a smoker.

It just takes soooooo long. My smoker is a hot smoker, and runs at about 285-300, and these small briskets still took about 5.5 hours to get to 190f. There is so much that can go wrong during a long smoke.

I think my favorite thing to smoke right now is tri-tip, with baby back ribs coming in a close second. I smoked Turkey last year for thanksgiving and that turned out pretty damn good. Lots of prep work on that though.

• Options
    I just want a good braised brisket, swimmingin delicious juices and surrounded by potatoes and carrots and all kinds of veggies, ready for the slicing and the eating on a gorgeous Shabbat night.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Hey cooking thread

did you know that eggs can freeze solid if your fridge is too cold? I didn't!

This post brought to you by bugboy's ruined dinner plans

BugBoy on
  • Options
    and real honest to goodness corned beef brisket.

not this corned silverside stuff that we have down here that has the strangest texture and just not the right consistency and ARGH I miss Jewish Deli Foooooddddddddd

• Options
    Brisket day 2. Mixed in with some cracker barrel Mac and Cheese along with broccoli and extra colby jack. Crushed some croûtons on top and damn tasty!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    and real honest to goodness corned beef brisket.

not this corned silverside stuff that we have down here that has the strangest texture and just not the right consistency and ARGH I miss Jewish Deli Foooooddddddddd

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/10859409/#Comment_10859409

• Options
    yes, thank you.

now maybe you could convince butchers over here that brisket is a cut of meat?

because I still haven't been able to find it (not that I've looked too hard in a while)

Or I can just be patient until October and get some when I go back to the states and get some Deli

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Today I baked something from scratch for the first time ever.

It was banana bread.

It's delicious. I'm so happy with myself.

Spoiler for huge and tasty.
    2hh7mxhmlhsx.jpg

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    That looks excellent!

• Options
    yes, thank you.

because I still haven't been able to find it (not that I've looked too hard in a while)

Or I can just be patient until October and get some when I go back to the states and get some Deli

It can also be called the point end? Your best bet if you want to give it another go is to show up with the picture of the cow and maybe a photo of what the cut looks like.

• Options
    There in the city that does brisket in an open sandwich.

It is ridiculous, there is enough meat in there to make you feel ill.

I want to go there again now.

• Options
    I am going to be trying to make pork schnitzel tonight.

Hopefully I can get the chop thin enough without a proper meat mallet.

• Options
    A rolling pin or a stout glass bottle can do the trick.

• Options
    Cool. Those things I have.

I will post later tonight with the results as I have never made it before.

• Options
    Also a big can of soup or veggies can substitute as a mallet. It's more work, but it works.

• Options
    As promised here are those pork schnitzel I made.
    14192627_10154805323648676_1257001380940824341_n.jpg?oh=0c45fb5e54951d812aa9dbead5c2b05e&oe=5842D6EF

Pretty tasty. Next time: Less Oil, more seasoning, Lower Heat, thinner pounded.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    yes, thank you.

It can also be called the point end? Your best bet if you want to give it another go is to show up with the picture of the cow and maybe a photo of what the cut looks like.

Honestly if you've got a good butcher you can ask them to cut it for you specially and reserve it next time they carve up a cow. Silverside is definitely not brisket though.

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    I need some help!

I'm going back to uni soon, and last year my diet was dull while I was there. I'm not expecting it to be thrilling this year as I'm still a poor student paying London rent, but I'm hoping to add a dish or two to my uni menu.

I'm pretty much veggie (especially at uni) and I hate nuts and mushroom just to make things more difficult. My first thought was lentils, I know I like them but i never buy them to cook with. What colour though? Could I make some sort of lentil stew? Also good veggie curry recipe would be lovely. My cooking facilities are pretty bad at uni, I also tend to only have one saucepan. Which was fun when someone stole it near the end of last year. I could stretch to two saucepans as I know only having one is ridiculous.

I've looked at recipes online, but I'm pretty rubbish at working out what is going to be tasty and what isn't. Also healthy would be better than not thanks to some health issues.

Basically I'd like to stock up on some ingredients and try a few things while I'm still at mums, so any suggestions would be great!

• Options
    I'll try and remember to write up my chicken curry recipe when I get home

only needs one pan and one pot (or one pan and steam in a bag rice)!

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    Thank you! I do eat quorn etc when I make a chilli so I can happily substitute meat for that with other meals too. God I hope there's good freezer space in my new place.

• Options
    Angelina wrote: »
    Thank you! I do eat quorn etc when I make a chilli so I can happily substitute meat for that with other meals too. God I hope there's good freezer space in my new place.

oh you can sub out the chicken with cauliflower or sweet potatoes and it'd be great!

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Angelina wrote: »
    I need some help!

I'm going back to uni soon, and last year my diet was dull while I was there. I'm not expecting it to be thrilling this year as I'm still a poor student paying London rent, but I'm hoping to add a dish or two to my uni menu.

I'm pretty much veggie (especially at uni) and I hate nuts and mushroom just to make things more difficult. My first thought was lentils, I know I like them but i never buy them to cook with. What colour though? Could I make some sort of lentil stew? Also good veggie curry recipe would be lovely. My cooking facilities are pretty bad at uni, I also tend to only have one saucepan. Which was fun when someone stole it near the end of last year. I could stretch to two saucepans as I know only having one is ridiculous.

I've looked at recipes online, but I'm pretty rubbish at working out what is going to be tasty and what isn't. Also healthy would be better than not thanks to some health issues.

Basically I'd like to stock up on some ingredients and try a few things while I'm still at mums, so any suggestions would be great!

I'm out on my mobile now, so i'll post it when i grt home, but i've got a great pasta recipe that i've pretty much been living off. It's a tomato sauce with sauted broccoli.

It's just always nice. Also makes enough for lunch the next day.

This discussion has been closed.