As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    After a long hiatus, I finally had the chance to cook a new dish today, when I made my friend's slow cooker beef stew recipe:

fvwM4ps.jpg?1

Prep took a while, but it was well worth it as the end result was delicious

xet8c.gif

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I slow-cooked a pork roast with potatoes, carrots, and turnips the other day. Used a fair amount of sage in the seasoning and then again in the gravy from the cooking liquid/drippings. I'd never had turnips other than in neeps and tatties at Irish restaurants, turns out I really like them just roasted up! The whole thing was quite a success.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    So I posted about it a while ago but now that I'm moved I got started this weekend:

I am making a dish from every country, in order alphabetically, once a week

This week I started with an Afghanistani dish called Kabuli Palau:

(I forgot to take a picture so I pulled the one from the recipe I used)

Kabuli-Palau-6802.jpg

Its a rice pilaf with a cardamom/cumin spice and chicken thighs with fried carrots and raisins

It was super good and something I'd have never made if I wasn't doing this weird challenge so it was a huge success!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Well, that makes my shrimp etouffee seem like baby stuff.

Enlong on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Well, that makes my shrimp etouffee seem like baby stuff.

it really wasn't that hard! Its just fun to try out stuff I've never heard of before

Shrimp is pretty hard to get right!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So I posted about it a while ago but now that I'm moved I got started this weekend:

I am making a dish from every country, in order alphabetically, once a week

This week I started with an Afghanistani dish called Kabuli Palau:

(I forgot to take a picture so I pulled the one from the recipe I used)

Kabuli-Palau-6802.jpg

Its a rice pilaf with a cardamom/cumin spice and chicken thighs with fried carrots and raisins

It was super good and something I'd have never made if I wasn't doing this weird challenge so it was a huge success!

This is a really really cool idea

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    frozen fruits are great, especially if you use them for smoothies and the like, really no noticeable difference between frozen and fresh in that scenario

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Frozen fruit and veggies are amazing for making baby food.

You just toss it all in a blender and zhhuuuuusssshhhh it up.

and then you freeze them back again.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    do things like bell pepper or celery freeze well?

I like having celery around for cajun dishes, but I never make enough quickly enough that an entire grocery-store bundle of celery will survive to all be used.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I like having celery around for cajun dishes, but I never make enough quickly enough that an entire grocery-store bundle of celery will survive to all be used.

Not sure about celery, but one of our frozen foods companies down here have frozen chopped bell peppers. I use them during winter when bell pepper prices down here range about $4/each.

Same company does frozen onions, frozen mushrooms, frozen pumpkin as well.

a big big big life saver during winter for me

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Sal wrote: »
    After a long hiatus, I finally had the chance to cook a new dish today, when I made my friend's slow cooker beef stew recipe:

fvwM4ps.jpg?1

what's the recipe?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular

I'm pulling this out of my ass but if you want them to be crunchy I'd say no, but if you are going to cook them until tender or soft anyway it should be fine

• Options

fvwM4ps.jpg?1

what's the recipe?

Click the picture!

xet8c.gif

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey guys anyone have a good idea of the ratios of butter and eggs and milk to the flour in a brioche? Or just a good recipe that would be simple to follow and doesn't assume I have a fucking kitchenaid because those are fucking expensive.

I have a hankering for do some baking and a big batch of brioche dough to split in half sounds really good right now. Have to buy butter and eggs though.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Do you have a hand mixer? With Brioche, you work the softened butter into the sponge. You could do it by hand but I suspect your arm will fall off if you do try it.

Edit: The recipe would help. I use the King Arthur recipe.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/brioche-recipe

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Making brioche by hand is less painful than whipping cream by hand, even though it takes much longer. I have a brioche recipe at home that works by hand or with a stand mixer. I'll try to dig it up once my kids are asleep, but that'll probably be 4+ hours from now.

• Options
    Hrm yeah that probably would be tough by hand.

I could do it but yeah maybe I should save up for a stand mixer finally.

They are so much money though... I don't think a cheap one would cut it for brioche like, at all.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

They are so much money though... I don't think a cheap one would cut it for brioche like, at all.

Yeah, I bought a cheap stand mixer to help with my cheesecake addiction.
    It's a passable hand mixer, but the stand is just... should have saved my money for a good one.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Uriel wrote: »

Richard Bertinet has a great method for mixing and kneading high-moisture doughs without a stand mixer. If you've got a laminate counter, the slap-and-fold method should work for you. Here's one of his brioche recipes, or you can check out his book Crust from your local library.

That being said, if you do much baking a stand mixer is a wonderful investment. My mom's whole side of the family pitched in to buy my wife and I a 6 quart Kitchenaid for our wedding, and it's one of my most prized possessions. If you're on a budget, Hamilton Beach makes a 4 quart stand mixer for $80 that ranks right up there with $350 mixers in the Consumer Reports rankings.

Edit: the main difference between the budget mixer and the Kitchenaid is that the cheap one has a smaller bowl and doesn't have an adapter port for fancy attachments like a pasta roller that I've never used anyway. The mixing action and power are, judging from what I've read, pretty much the same.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I should probably look into that hamilton beach one.

Or finally save up for the kitchenaid I have been eyeballing for years.

I would bake so much bread with a stand mixer available.

A simple dough isn't hard without one but like I don't experiment much with different moisture levels and ingredients since I still do only one every few months.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Bread sponges will change your life, dawg. I'm gonna go make one right now, this conversation has got me so worked up.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Shit I started looking up baking stuff and ended up tossing some dough together to make a small sandwich loaf for tomorrow.

Woops. It's rising now and already smells great.

I will post a photo or two after it bakes and after I taste it tomorrow (if I can resist the fresh bread somehow)

Here goes the second rise!

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Hmm it is ballooning up a bit on one side. I think I might have done a better job getting air out of it before the second rise. Needs a few more minutes still but it smells amazing.

Here it is out of the oven cooling

I really need a wire rack.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    God fresh bread is the best!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I'm letting this bread cool which I don't usually have the self control to do.

Gonna give it an hour to an hour and a half before cutting it just to taste and check the crumb.

Then it is put away for tomorrow. I hope I can keep some around till Sunday evening actually. My brother is a home made bread fiend though.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    J9Crq0ol.jpg

I made a 'graveyard' cake based on the Milk Bar chocolate malt cake.

Problems were had: couldn't find acetate sheets anywhere to save my life, the amount of malt fudge sauce the recipe made was not adequate to the cake in my opinion, and also fuck handling these marshmallows, what the hell

But everyone said it tasted great, the presentation was ~vaguely~ amusing at least and most of it got eaten, so there's that!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options

fvwM4ps.jpg?1

Yo, I used all the ingredients in this recipe minus the flour, because I didn't want to be bothered to cut up a roast, and it turned out amazing. I just seared the roast sans flour and placed it atop the vegetables, and added the seasonings into the liquid portion. It obviously wasn't quite as thick without the flour, but the roast was still super flavorful despite having less surface area seared. I just shredded it with two forks and mixed it back in with the broth/veggies.

• Options
    @jgeis that's awesome! It always feels so rewarding to deviate from a recipe and have it turn out delicious

This week I made some vegetarian curry using cauliflower. I was worried that it might be somewhat bland but it turned out to be quite flavorful:

iA04S4U.jpg?1

xet8c.gif

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Cauliflower curry is pretty good. Try pre-roasting it in a very hot oven for 10 mins before adding it to the masala.

V1m on
  • Options
    Yo I just want to drop in and say that if you roast broccoli with olive oil and just a liiiiittle too much salt at 450°F for 25 minutes, the floretes taste like broccoli potato chips.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Pumpkin-sage ravioli with sauteed kale, grated romano and lemon zest. Very taste!

irl7cunp1w95.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    lack of wild picked mushrooms, 8/10

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    lack of wild picked mushrooms, 8/10

After reaching 34 degrees the other day, the season is mostly over for me this year =(

Won't begin again until late April or so (possibly earlier for a few species).

So this post isn't a total bust though, here is all my left over Hen of the Woods!

20lc5r3l68ww.jpg

This doesn't count the three bags I gave to friends and family and the one bag I ate.

I've been rehydrating them and adding them to Ramans. The texture isn't the greatest, but the flavor is fantastic.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Yellow coconut curry tonight with a side of tri-color quinoa!

Chicken, sweet potatoes, yellow and green squash, onion, cashews, pineapple.
    Yellow curry paste, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, turmeric, curry powder, cumin, coriander, cloves, cayenne pepper. Small sprinkle of brown sugar. Coconut milk, tablespoon of hiqh-qual chicken bullion for added flavor. Added a tablespoon of corn starch at the end to thicken everything up.

I couldn't find my recipe pad, so I winged it based on memory and tasting now and then, and it came out delicious! :D Forgot to buy fish sauce however. That's never been a main flavor component that I can tell, though, so it ended up just fine without.

6ylf5jkqatls.jpg

NightDragon on
  • Options
    oh man that looks yum

• Options
    ND you said you were doing Blue Apron right?

How was that?

(or anyone doing blue apron/other similar ones)

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    ND you said you were doing Blue Apron right?

How was that?

(or anyone doing blue apron/other similar ones)

I only tried it for a week. If I wasn't unemployed I'd consider doing it every now and then - it's significantly more expensive than just buying the ingredients yourself, so it's not something I'd do regularly.

For the week that I actually tried though, I really liked it. Mainly because it forced me to try some recipes that I never would've considered otherwise that I ended up really, really liking. Each recipe comes on a full page, so you can keep it around and make the meal again easily.

I found the time estimates to be wildly off (apparently this is pretty common) for both prep and cooking time - they may say "10 minutes of prep!" but it will take you 20-30 minutes. Cooking you kinda have to play by ear too...they suggested something like "yeah sautee this raw corn with other ingredients for a few minutes and it's done!" and that was very far from the truth haha. If you've cooked before this won't really be a problem, you'll be able to tell when things are finished cooking - but just something to be aware of. I've heard from some people that the portions aren't large enough, but I also didn't really have a problem with that. For some of the more "dense" meals (like gnocchi) portions were absolutely not a problem for me.

It's definitely worth it to try out, at least...if for nothing else than to discover new recipes. You're able to skip weeks entirely, and swap out some of the choices during weeks, so you get decent variety. Not sure how they are long-term (if they reuse certain things too often or not, for instance) but overall, yeah, I enjoyed it and I'd be totally into doing it again at some point in the future.

• Options
    I see.. I see..

Seems like there's not really much advantage other than delivered right to my door at a premium, and, giving recipes I might not try otherwise.

I guess it might get me to do the "well I've already spent $X dollars on this, I should use it" guilt trip thing. Now to decide if that's something I'm interested in doing or not.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.