As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] The last hurrah before the NeXt generation arrives.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I hope they money hat 4-5 long-dead/dormant franchises to exclusive NX status just to see if they can set a record for most blood vessels ruptured at a time. I think this will do:
    • BG&E 2
    • Eternal Darkness 2
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
    • Grim Fandango 2
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4

You're not thinking big enough. For maximum salt:

Half-life 3, NX exclusive.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    If 'announcement in 2016' is indeed real, I could well imagine an announcement around Thanksgiving. Maybe even do it on Black Friday.

• CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Axen wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I hope they money hat 4-5 long-dead/dormant franchises to exclusive NX status just to see if they can set a record for most blood vessels ruptured at a time. I think this will do:
    • BG&E 2
    • Eternal Darkness 2
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
    • Grim Fandango 2
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4

Throw in exclusivity for new Mega Man and Konami titles for good measure.

But wait, there's more!

Jet Force Gemini 2
    Quest 2
    F-Zero NX

Basically just all the games from the N64 era. :razz:

'Member the N64? Ooh, I 'member!

'Member Buck Bumble?
    'Member Glover?
    'Member Chameleon Twist?

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I remember finally seeing Quest 64 being available to rent in Blockbuster and being very disappointed in it.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jet Force Gemini being a VC game would be far more worth it

edited October 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6msx021jZc

I like this rumor, because it will be easy enough to verify soon. And if true, all the hints Ubisoft has been dropping lately might suggest the NX reveal is actually coming really soon (which is to say, it makes sense they'd tease that stuff just before an official announcement, which the rumor says will be during the NX reveal)

Edit:
    I remember finally seeing Quest 64 being available to rent in Blockbuster and being very disappointed in it.

I think I actually rented that piece of garbage twice, maybe because I couldn't believe it was so bad the first time I had to give it another chance (to be fair too, my second time I actually made real progress in the game, where the first I don't think I got far at all before losing interest). The one thing that always struck me about that game was how bad the battle transitions felt. You'd be walking along and suddenly get jerked into battle, to the point you would keep moving halfway through the "battle circle" before realizing it.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I beat Quest 64, I remember enjoying it, don't remember much else though

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Brainleech wrote: »

*cough*

Replaying this last year, it didn't really hold up that well.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

*cough*

Replaying this last year, it didn't really hold up that well.

This applies to more "beloved classics" than most care to admit.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    TDawg wrote: »
    To be fair, the Smash Bros. Miiverse stage is also pretty cool when it isn't just plastering vulgarities all over your screen.

Like a lot of Nintendo ideas, Miiverse is a great idea that needed to be implemented just a bit more thoroughly to be really fucking great, and instead was just kind of...a thing???

Miiverse is not something Nintendo ever wanted to make. Much like Nintendo's smartphone games and the quality of life products that never went anywhere, it is something they only created in order to placate their habitually uninformed stockholders.

The transition period from the Wii to the Wii U was the heyday of Facebook games like Farmville, and all the business publications were in a tizzy about how "social media is the future of gaming". So of course, Nintendo's stockholders started harassing them at their quarterly conferences to get on board the social media bandwagon. Nintendo created Miiverse so they could have something to point to and say, "Look, we have our own social media network now! Quit asking about it!"

Of course, social media gaming turned out to be just another fad and everyone stopped caring a few years later. But Nintendo was still stuck with Miiverse, an embarrassing relic with no real purpose.

Ivan Hunger on
    edited October 2016
    To be fair, the Smash Bros. Miiverse stage is also pretty cool when it isn't just plastering vulgarities all over your screen.

Like a lot of Nintendo ideas, Miiverse is a great idea that needed to be implemented just a bit more thoroughly to be really fucking great, and instead was just kind of...a thing???

Wait? There's a time when it's not full of vulgar posts? I've literally never seen that. Granted, it doesn't help that I like to play Zero Suit Samus (or as Miiverse likes to call her, Birthday Suit Samus, usually with lots of naked boob drawings and such). I'm quite sure there is no one moderating those posts because they are awful.

Warlock82 on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Miiverse is not something Nintendo ever wanted to make. Much like Nintendo's smartphone games and the quality of life products that never went anywhere, it is something they only created in order to placate their habitually uninformed stockholders.

You seem to have some fascinating exclusive insights into the upper echelons of Nintendo's management, on top of the ability to see the future.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Hold on, is Miiverse considered a failure now? I thought it was generally considered a success. (Not that I've posted anything since maybe Splattoon)

In other news 'Emily Rogers' is saying this week and next should be interesting.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/788089430770749441

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Oh yeah it was garbage. Seriously, there were a finite amount of healing items!

But the sequel sounded very, very promising!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited October 2016
    Maz- wrote: »

You seem to have some fascinating exclusive insights into the upper echelons of Nintendo's management, on top of the ability to see the future.

Not so exclusive, considering Nintendo publishes their Q&A sessions publicly on the internet after each quarterly stockholder conference. Anybody can read them.

Not sure what you mean about being able to see the future, unless you consider the inevitable downfall trendy casual gaming fads like Farmville to be a bold prediction. Frankly, I think that fact is obvious to everyone except business analysts.

Ivan Hunger on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular

Quest 64 felt kind of like it oozed with potential, it was just being made by people who had no idea what they were doing because it had never really been done before. A sequel would have needed a ton of reworking to actually be a worthwhile game, but it feels kind of disappointing that that reworking never actually happened.

The environment design in particular left me with an itch that was never fully scratched until I played Skies of Arcadia.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Quest 64 felt kind of like it oozed with potential, it was just being made by people who had no idea what they were doing because it had never really been done before. A sequel would have needed a ton of reworking to actually be a worthwhile game, but it feels kind of disappointing that that reworking never actually happened.

The environment design in particular left me with an itch that was never fully scratched until I played Skies of Arcadia.

Very much why I was excited for the sequel. It sounded like they were reworking pretty much everything that sucked. More of a open world focus, actual currency and equipment shopping, save points scattered all over, either less random fights or you could see the enemies in the over-world I forget which. Plus you would have been able to pick between two characters, a magic wielding boy or a sword swinging girl.

Despite hating Quest 64 everything I had read on the sequel actually made me excited for it. :(

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Not so exclusive, considering Nintendo publishes their Q&A sessions publicly on the internet after each quarterly stockholder conference. Anybody can read them.

Not sure what you mean about being able to see the future, unless you consider the inevitable downfall trendy casual gaming fads like Farmville to be a bold prediction. Frankly, I think that fact is obvious to everyone except business analysts.

Nintendo do have to placate their shareholders to a certain extent. I can't quite judge Kimishima yet, but I highly doubt Iwata wouldn't have pushed Nintendo towards new streams of revenue (mobile, amiibo, QoL, theme parks, licensing etc) unless he really felt they were worth pursuing.
    Seems like Nintendo just can't win in the eyes of some people - when they're successful, it's always just a "fad" or they're just following a trend or they're only doing it because they have to and not because they want to, and when they're not successful it was obvious from the start and anyone could've seen it coming or whatever.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699

Nintendo do have to placate their shareholders to a certain extent. I can't quite judge Kimishima yet, but I highly doubt Iwata wouldn't have pushed Nintendo towards new streams of revenue (mobile, amiibo, QoL, theme parks, licensing etc) unless he really felt they were worth pursuing.
    Seems like Nintendo just can't win in the eyes of some people - when they're successful, it's always just a "fad" or they're just following a trend or they're only doing it because they have to and not because they want to, and when they're not successful it was obvious from the start and anyone could've seen it coming or whatever.

Iwata always struck me as someone who preferred to create trends, rather than follow them. Sometimes that paid off for him, like with touch screens or motion controls, and other times it didn't, like with 3D visuals or the gamepad.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Very much why I was excited for the sequel. It sounded like they were reworking pretty much everything that sucked. More of a open world focus, actual currency and equipment shopping, save points scattered all over, either less random fights or you could see the enemies in the over-world I forget which. Plus you would have been able to pick between two characters, a magic wielding boy or a sword swinging girl.

Despite hating Quest 64 everything I had read on the sequel actually made me excited for it. :(

Since there's almost certainly never going to be any other place for it, did anyone focus on Fire or Wind? I did Earth and Water, and felt like I ended up with all of the really critical tools, while the points I dipped into the others didn't give me anything.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There is now an actual NX thread, so all NX talk needs to go there.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The last hurrah game, Color Splash, gave me a frustrating turn today, all because i got the second paint star in Cherry Lake, thinking that was what you were supposed to do, which screwed me up pretty good because then i got to the stage with the giant locked gate and didn't know what to do, and only got more frustrated as i followed a faulty train of logic that eventually ran out until a walkthrough showed me that it was possible to get the first star in there.

Hopefully i can avoid this madness in the future now that i know that the first star is, in fact, meant to be taken first. Which i should have known from the beginning.

Mr Khan wrote: »
    The last hurrah game, Color Splash, gave me a frustrating turn today, all because i got the second paint star in Cherry Lake, thinking that was what you were supposed to do, which screwed me up pretty good because then i got to the stage with the giant locked gate and didn't know what to do, and only got more frustrated as i followed a faulty train of logic that eventually ran out until a walkthrough showed me that it was possible to get the first star in there.

Hopefully i can avoid this madness in the future now that i know that the first star is, in fact, meant to be taken first. Which i should have known from the beginning.

To avoid getting stuck I usually consider:
    1. Is there a star I haven't got in this level?
    2. What does Huey say when I press up on the D-Pad in this level?
    3. Is there an icon for something to do in this level? (i.e. Rescue Squad guys)
    4. Does the Rescue Squad leader in Prisma Port say there are missing Squadies in certain levels.
    5. What does the Know-it-all Toad in the trash say?
    6. Is there a letter from someone asking me to do something?
    7. Finally, is there a plot point that feels unfinished? (i.e. What happened to the guy in his boat, etc)

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah, Huey's hints aren't always helpful for specific puzzles, but he's great at telling you when you need to go somewhere else for a while.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I go to the Trash Toad for boss hints only.

Well, I've only done one boss so far, but he's really helpful if you don't wanna mess around.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Finally unwrapped my copy of Watch Dogs despite having bought it over a year ago.

...and somehow four hours blew by and I didn't notice it. An interesting little game that has the usual open world issues. The online invasion stuff is nerve wracking so I'll have to turn that off next time I play.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Goodnight, Wii U, you beautiful bastard.

It makes me so sad, ugh. Guess I better pick up the last few games to round out my library before prices skyrocket.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    Ah well, Color Splash is a good way to go out, I feel.

Agree. Almost done but the final boss is being a pain. Need to get my blocking timing down better.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular

I know it wasn't the last game released, but I think Tokyo Mirage Sessions will be my last U purchase.

Color Splash will be mine unless there's a particularly good indie or VC game to get.

I could also pay for some Pokken Tournaent DLC if they ever make that happen.

Stardew Valley is coming later this year, so there's that.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Stardew Valley is coming later this year, so there's that.

2016's GOTY, to boot.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Our family just got the Lego Dimensions base set because it was 50% off on Amazon. My son now has the big poster of all the sets and is making a list of all the ones that he wants.

What have we done?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Our family just got the Lego Dimensions base set because it was 50% off on Amazon. My son now has the big poster of all the sets and is making a list of all the ones that he wants.

What have we done?

Keep an eye out for sales; those things get discounted all the time.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'd love Lego Dimensions, but Disney Infinity almost killed me... can't fall down that rabbit hole again.

...But they have Gremlins, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    and here... we... go...

This discussion has been closed.