As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] The last hurrah before the NeXt generation arrives.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    This is what I have wanted ever since I first bought the old school grey brick Gameboy and would sit around drawing concepts of the perfect home/portable hybrid.

Don't fuck this up Nintendo.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Going full-on pessimism on this one.

My biggest complaint is the size of the hardware. This is the first handheld from Nintendo in quite literally two decades that I won't be able to slip into my pocket every morning on the way out the door.

The loss of the stereoscopic tech and second screen are also giant steps back.

I'll still be purchasing one as a means to an end, but man this seems like a step back from what the 3DS offered and ironically more or less a beefed up Wii U.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    I like it. I would have preferred the X2 instead of the X1 but that's fine.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So have they said if it's backwards compatible with WiiU stuff yet?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

If you can figure out a way to jam a CD into that cart slot :P

I mean, it *could* be but it's super unlikely to me. We don't even know that the screen is a touch screen - it likely isn't.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Nothing yet.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

That was created by Bobkins. So that's proooooooobably a big hint.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    It looks like output to TV is only available when the portable screen is in the dock, so there would be no way to run dual-screens like the WiiU does.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Pokemon snap is on vc now, right?
    Anybody tried it?

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Pokemon snap is on vc now, right?
    Anybody tried it?

It's out everywhere but North America

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Quick Tokyo Mirage question. How is the DLC included in the Limited Edition?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Quick Tokyo Mirage question. How is the DLC included in the Limited Edition?

You get a card with download codes for them. If you want to skip any of the three, you just don't redeem the code.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Sorry, I should have phrased it differently. How is the quality/fun of the DLC?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    The costume set from different Altus games is pretty sweet, although the main one I really use is the samurai outfit on Touma from SMT4.

The XP/skill grinding ones are handy for keeping people properly leveled.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    After finishing up Pikmin I decided to pick up Zombi U again over the weekend - I had tried it for maybe half an hour just after getting my Wii U a year and a bit ago but didn't really give it a good shake.

I played for a bit on Friday night, died a few times through making mistakes (it's pretty good at making me panic and forgot how to attack haha) but was getting through up to a point, then just kept dying and dying again.

Played again from the start yesterday to see if it was easier getting to that point with a bit of a stash of ammo and nope, kept dying repeatedly.

Not sure if I just need to get better at the mechanics of it or I'm doing something wrong, but not sure if I'll pick it up again.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Which part did you get to @McFodder. The game is definitely hard. I think it's very much like Dark Souls hard.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Zombi U is all about getting all the supplies you can and playing slowly and methodically. You can't rush into situations where there are more than two zombies. And even then, depending on the type, just a couple zombies can be dicey. Those ones with riot gear in particular can be really troublesome.

I would suggest getting really good with the cricket bat earlier on and focus on attacking in situations that are disadvantageous to the zombies. Like if they have to climb over or under something to get to you or you can catch them unaware. If there is ever a very clustered crowd best to get the fuck out of dodge and retreat a bit in hopes that they thin out. Also, best to always have multiple escape routes. But you should definitely try playing a bit more because once you get into the grove of it that game is pretty amazing.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Speaking of which: I might have to replay through ZombiU. Easily one of my favorite survival horror games.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was only an hour or so in, really the first time you actually need to fight a bunch of zombies
    when they attack the safehouse, so about the second or third mission.

Think I was just in the wrong frame of mind and got a bit frustrated with it. It's a fair while since I've played anything 'actiony' but I'll give it another shot.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Don't be afraid to back away. Try to funnel them so it's one on one. And don't corner yourself

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    ZombiU is one of my favorite Wii U games for sure.

I remember dying for a really stupid reason after a nigh-flawless Hardcore run and it really pissed me off.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Be warned that if you're too careful, the game will just start cheating to try to kill you.

I had zombies spawn directly behind me during a cutscene, as well as spawning inside completely empty, closed rooms.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Just had a hard lock while playing Watch_Dogs. The only other games I remember that happening with was ZombiU and Disney Infinity. What's with Ubisoft games and hard locks?

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    All of their developers went to the School of Hard Locks hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    a+ humour would steal and tweet for thousands of likes

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I now bought the Lego Dimensions Midway level for me...errr....my son. I saw what they had in there and had to get it.
    And the Weeping Angels level is way creepy. Yeesh.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    McFodder wrote: »
    Yeah, I was only an hour or so in, really the first time you actually need to fight a bunch of zombies
    when they attack the safehouse, so about the second or third mission.

Think I was just in the wrong frame of mind and got a bit frustrated with it. It's a fair while since I've played anything 'actiony' but I'll give it another shot.

Just to give you a heads up: That's one of the hardest parts of the game. I'm pretty sure I died there too... But also keep in mind that dying doesn't REALLY do anything unless you die twice then I think you lose all your stuff.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I now bought the Lego Dimensions Midway level for me...errr....my son. I saw what they had in there and had to get it.
    And the Weeping Angels level is way creepy. Yeesh.

I got that one recently, too, but I don't think I'm that far yet.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Skyward Sword. I finally grabbed this now that it's on the shop.

What's the big hoopla about this one? I get it's a bit blurry... But I really like the sword controls so far. Does it get worse at some point?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »

What's the big hoopla about this one? I get it's a bit blurry... But I really like the sword controls so far. Does it get worse at some point?

The controls are the big hangup for many people. If you're enjoying the controls then you'll more than likely enjoy the game.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

pumpkin balancing

aside from that, the game is top notch

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    The sword controls can be finicky, that's about it, but it can be frustrating when you gotta hurry and cut something a certain way for like a boss fight and it doesn't do it right

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

A prime example of The Zelda Cycle™ and the internet generally being populated by idiots who blow the few issues it does have way out of proportion.

It's my favorite 3D Zelda game.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I thought Skyward Sword was aces.

The sky world is disappointingly empty, but that's about it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

A prime example of The Zelda Cycle™ and the internet generally being populated by idiots who blow the few issues it does have way out of proportion.

It's my favorite 3D Zelda game.

Nah, the controls really sucked and made it unplayable for me.

I didn't blow anything out of proportion as I didn't need to.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The sword controls can be finicky, that's about it, but it can be frustrating when you gotta hurry and cut something a certain way for like a boss fight and it doesn't do it right

Yeah, this is basically it. There are times when you'll need to do specifically a right->left swing or something like that, and you have a split second to do it in, and getting the sword in position to do it triggers a sword swing in the opposite direction, and now you took damage. You just have to train yourself to always bring the remote to a ready position you can go into any direction from.

Other than that, I had no problems with the controls. It's a very good game, I think it's probably the strongest zelda.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Nah, the controls really sucked and made it unplayable for me.

Other than that, I had no problems with the controls. It's a very good game, I think it's probably the strongest zelda.

Skyward Sword in a nutshell.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it was too easy to ha e your controls mis-calibrated which is why many people hate the game. They always worked good for me, so I loved it. Except the sky, the sky was butts with nothing to do in it. Also the harp was the dumbest instrument they've done. "Strum back and forth making awful noise until the game pretends you played a masterpiece" is not the best implementation.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
This discussion has been closed.