As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live] GO TO NEW THREAD HOMIES

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I don't understand the time limit crying it was a central mechanic in the first game , it gave everything a sense of urgency. Either way I won't be getting four , after three what I wanted was a game that wasn't brain dead and easy .

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Yeah Dead Rising 3 already removed a lot of the annoying dumb things from previous dead rising games. Its not a serious franchise at all and it was kind of a huge dichotomy in dead rising between the super serious cut scenes and the dumb fun gameplay.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    It also looks like they didn't learn their marketing lessons from the first time. Focussing on the swearing and extreme radical stuff and not the great story and mechanics under the hood, this is what's turned people off the first time!

I think leading up to release they should do a trailer giving the story premise and you must fight for survival on a planet that wants to kill you. And then just end it with the elevator scene of two gruff military dudes...

I mean at its core it's about how being an asshole hurts those around you, especially being a drunken asshole. That's a pretty deep message for a shooter

Being an asshole is bad is a deep story? I would say super not.

For a shooter it was, and for the kind of shooter the marketing billed it as it definitely was. Chiefly it was the fact that the main character had an actual developed arc that he went through over the course of the game, wherein he changed as a person, which at the time was pretty rare for a comedy-based cheesy shooter, and I'd argue is still praiseworthy now

Meh. This was the same console that had the infinitely superior Spec Ops: The Line and all three Bioshocks. Your bar for what is good in a shooter's story is just sitting on the ground, unlifted.

Keep in mind, the gameplay was aces. Sense of humor was hit and miss but it DID hit here and there. But emphasizing the story would be just a really bad move.

Comparing Bioshock to Bulletstorm is like comparing How The West Was Won to Blazing Saddles.

• Options
    I don't understand the time limit crying it was a central mechanic in the first game , it gave everything a sense of urgency. Either way I won't be getting four , after three what I wanted was a game that wasn't brain dead and easy .

Because they give you this super fun playground to dick around in, and then put really narrow time limits in the game that take away from the fun open world gameplay.

"Man I'm so glad I missed out on content because it was time centric."

Said no one ever.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Because they give you this super fun playground to dick around in, and then put really narrow time limits in the game that take away from the fun open world gameplay.

Said no one ever.

Except you didn't miss out on anything it was very doable to do everything in the time limit. And if you wanted to just goof off you ignored the story for that playthrough and did whatever. But you are right removing any semblance of challenge is the best way to make people buy it.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Meh you can totally ignore the time limit and survivors in DR1, save for the story missions you had to do to further the game.

Honestly I atill dicked around plenty in the first games, it's not some hard rule you have to save everyone and do every side bit in the game, you totally fart around and just fuck with zombies.

To me, the first game nailed that cheesey, unintentionally campy tone of older zombie flicks. The overdone acting, the weird psycho battles, and using everyday items to dispatch zombies. There was tension when you run down on health, have limited items, and need to desperately make it to the next save spot. It was fun, even if people complained non-stop because they simply wanted a different game. There's plenty of games with swaths of dumb zombies to eaily kill; Dead Rising made the game about the survivors, not the zombies, which all good zombie media does.

DR4 lost me when the stupid selfie shit started popping up. It's like every tryhard game of 2016 had to shove that in there.

• Options

Said no one ever.

Except you didn't miss out on anything it was very doable to do everything in the time limit. And if you wanted to just goof off you ignored the story for that playthrough and did whatever. But you are right removing any semblance of challenge is the best way to make people buy it.

No need to be a dick about it man. You liked the time limit, I didn't, and was glad when it was effectively removed on 3 and just being gone in 4 means I can play the game how I want without some time limit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    so they took out all the bad parts of Dead Rising

sounds great to me

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    can we ban the term tryhard? ugh, when Brad says it on stream it's bad enough

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I like the selfie stuff? I mean it'll lead to some hilarious photos on my bone to share with the bros. I guess I played dead rising for a completely different reason.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I like the selfie stuff? I mean it'll lead to some hilarious photos on my bone to share with the bros. I guess I played dead rising for a completely different reason.

This is how I feel. 1 had you getting bonus points for taking pics of zombos with buckets on their heads. Just seems like a corny and fun progression of that.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    can we ban the term tryhard? ugh, when Brad says it on stream it's bad enough

Wouldn't say ban it, but I find "tryhard" to be such a lazy dismissive. It's down there with "haters."

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

This is how I feel. 1 had you getting bonus points for taking pics of zombos with buckets on their heads. Just seems like a corny and fun progression of that.

Exactly. Then again I played the shit out 3 and loved it, and that game was so far from the first game it might as well have been a new franchise.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tryhard is a mixed use word. Used derogatorily it's dumb. But if you say to me, "Hey, are we playing tryhard tonight or screwing around?" that is a meaningful question.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Don't get me wrong, I think DR4 is probably still going to be fun- just not the flavor of fun I like from Dead Rising games. It's become Just Another Zombie Game to me, like Dead Island, Dying Light, L4D, etc. I am glad you guys are happy with where the series is headed, I just became less and less excited the more I saw of the game. I mean, why bother going back to Willamette with Frank while simultaneously alienating a lot of people who loved that first game by tossing out mechanics that made DR stand out in a sea of similar titles.

Like, if someone plops a copy in my lap, I will play it. It's just clearly trying too hard to advertise itself as a return to form while also being the opposite of that. It's just very interesting to me how mixed up the marketing and direction of the game is. It's like "fan favorite Frank is back! (except he's 50 now and as a different voice actor) Back in Willamette for the first time in 10 years! (except we've significantly altered the map and look of the mall) Relive the nostalgia of DR1! (except it plays nothing like that game silly no one liked that game)"

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Weren't most of those games out after Dead Rising? And they are first person shooters that never pushed the amount of zombos that Dead Rising did. Like for me the amount of zombies on screen has always defined dead rising, and the 4th one looks to have that in spades.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    "You cant redeem this Xbox Live Card because your set language does not match"

For fucks sake Microsoft, stop with all your meaningless stupid shit.

Card is bought in denmark, I'm danish, who gives a flying fuck about which language is set, you imbeciles.

Tangentially related, I redeemed a 12 month Live card last week, but my Xbox is still saying "You expire this year, renew now!"

But then when I login to Xbox.com, it shows I redeemed the card and I'm set through 2017

There's always a long delay on that for some reason. Last time I renewed it didn't go away until my sub was supposed to expire.

• Options
    Shit, H Jay, your post reminded me I wanted to get Dying Light and forgot to during the sale.

• Options
    Shit, H Jay, your post reminded me I wanted to get Dying Light and forgot to during the sale.

Such a fun game, like early on night time is freaking terrifying, than later on... Its still fucking terrifying!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I think DR4 is probably still going to be fun- just not the flavor of fun I like from Dead Rising games. It's become Just Another Zombie Game to me, like Dead Island, Dying Light, L4D, etc. I am glad you guys are happy with where the series is headed, I just became less and less excited the more I saw of the game. I mean, why bother going back to Willamette with Frank while simultaneously alienating a lot of people who loved that first game by tossing out mechanics that made DR stand out in a sea of similar titles.

Like, if someone plops a copy in my lap, I will play it. It's just clearly trying too hard to advertise itself as a return to form while also being the opposite of that. It's just very interesting to me how mixed up the marketing and direction of the game is. It's like "fan favorite Frank is back! (except he's 50 now and as a different voice actor) Back in Willamette for the first time in 10 years! (except we've significantly altered the map and look of the mall) Relive the nostalgia of DR1! (except it plays nothing like that game silly no one liked that game)"

I think you were trying too hard with this post. :P

• Options
    no u

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Yeah Dying Light was a lot of fun

I beat it, but I never tried it again though after that big update they added that had vehicles I think

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Has anyone tried Final Fantasy on the X1? We're there any issues? Just want to check before buying it.

• Options
    Despite running at only 900p, it actually runs the smoothest of all console versions- including the Ps4Pro

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Final Fantasy on the X1? We're there any issues? Just want to check before buying it.

Just took a break from a 2 hour session, and I ran into 0 issues. Granted, it's only 2 hours of playtime, but still... no framerate or graphical issues that I've noticed. Load times run a bit long, but I've only had 2 loading screens so far. Also the game is FUCKING AWESOME! Combat is so much friggin fun. Highly recommend FFXV!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Dying Light has the best co-op, its so fun and easy and is pretty much a gold standard for me in co-op implementation

Also all the clips so far for DR4 have turned me off, not for any of the above reasons, but mainly because they look incredibly glitchy and the animations are shockingly poor. Like I get it, lots of zombies, but i expect more at this stage. In most clips the large majority of zombies either clip and disappear or dont react to being hit, or all react in the exact same way. Im sure itll be ok in the game, but when youre showcasing your game and you cant even hide the glitches it sends alarm bells off in my head

Prohass on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I think what some might be missing is that Frank West being some washed up old man guy taking shitty selfies as awkwardly as possible in a desperate effort to stay relevant is part of the joke

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    I think what some might be missing is that Frank West being some washed up old man guy taking shitty selfies as awkwardly as possible in a desperate effort to stay relevant is part of the joke

Oh no, I get it

It just doesn't feel like the Frank from DR1... at all. Frank didn't care about anything other than being a good journalist and helping people in the first game. Now? He's cracking jokes and taking selfies with zombies. In DR1 Frank wasn't the joke, nor were the zombies - everyone else is. Yes, you can put on goofy outfits and put buckets on zombie heads. But that ws a fun distraction, not the meat of the game.

Meh, I dunno, if you don't care about spoilers you should watch the first 30 mins here:
    https://youtu.be/AXyagyVX3Lg

Not only does the humor fall flat, but the combat looks like a joke. Zombies pose no real threat to you, can't grab you, and you tear through them effortlessly like paper mache. If mindlessly slaughtering dead corpses that don't even hurt you is fun, I guess it just isn't my kind of fun.

The Frank I know doesn't go for fist bumps or make cringey jokes about mini-golf. It's like a bad fanfic turned material and it just doesn't work for me.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I feel like I'm the only person who hated all the characters in dead rising, like from the get go they were all terrible, annoying, unfunny and uninteresting. I liked dead rising 1 because it was a zombie game in a mall with lots of zombies, way more than any other game (which is a big thing for a zombie based game to have), but pretty much every time a cutscene started I mentally checked out. I never understood the love for frank

Prohass on
  • Options
    Firewatch is $12. Anyone here played it? It has reviewed well anyways

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Firewatch is $12. Anyone here played it? It has reviewed well anyways

I really liked it - very much a walking simulator game, but I loved the conversations, and the unfolding story.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Oh no, I get it

It just doesn't feel like the Frank from DR1... at all. Frank didn't care about anything other than being a good journalist and helping people in the first game. Now? He's cracking jokes and taking selfies with zombies. In DR1 Frank wasn't the joke, nor were the zombies - everyone else is. Yes, you can put on goofy outfits and put buckets on zombie heads. But that ws a fun distraction, not the meat of the game.

Meh, I dunno, if you don't care about spoilers you should watch the first 30 mins here:
    https://youtu.be/AXyagyVX3Lg

Not only does the humor fall flat, but the combat looks like a joke. Zombies pose no real threat to you, can't grab you, and you tear through them effortlessly like paper mache. If mindlessly slaughtering dead corpses that don't even hurt you is fun, I guess it just isn't my kind of fun.

The Frank I know doesn't go for fist bumps or make cringey jokes about mini-golf. It's like a bad fanfic turned material and it just doesn't work for me.

Frank was a huge joke. I've covered wars you know was basically a Nic Cage quote. Then they followed that up with Dead Rising 2 Off the Record where Frank is a fat washed up loser. Seems to me like you invented an interpretation unsupported by the game. Frank seems cooler in this than he ever has before. He has a protégé hanging on his every word for Pete's sake.

• Options
    The internet made him the joke, the devs just owned that and ran with it. I never got the impression that Frank was inherently supposed to be funny. Kinda like how Ash in the first Evil Dead was acting in earnest, but they made it intentionally hokey for Army of Darkness.

I never played Off the Record, but at the very least in the first game the humor was much more oblique and up to interpretation.

Again, everyone has their own opinion and I respect that people are looking forward to the game; this is just my impression of what I've seen so far. I've been having a much better time playing the remaster of DR1 than I did watching any of the new stuff coming out for 4.

• Options
    I also think a lot of it has to do with swapping from a Japanese studio to Western ones, which I think changed the tone a lot from DR2 onward. 2 introduced alot more of the wackier stuff like vehicles, combo weapons and zombies as entertainment.

• Options
    My less than two month old GoW4 XBone S console just died... gotta send it in for repair, and won't get it back for 14-21 days. Goddang Microsoft doesn't even send a box for shipping... Sony does, ya jerks!

Unhappy! >:[

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Merry Christmas.

• Options
    The disk drive on my 360 finally died. Almost seems more economical to just get anothe 1 instead of a 360. But still plenty of disc games not bc

• Options
    hmm... how did the xbox s fail? what failed on it, Skull?

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    My less than two month old GoW4 XBone S console just died... gotta send it in for repair, and won't get it back for 14-21 days. Goddang Microsoft doesn't even send a box for shipping... Sony does, ya jerks!

Unhappy! >:[

That's weird, I remember getting a box to send mine back in back when my 360 RRoD'd.

• Options
    hmm... how did the xbox s fail? what failed on it, Skull?

I was playing Final Fantasy, and then from somewhere inside the console there was a high pitched "beeeeep" and it sounded like the disc drive was going "click click click" and then the console locked up. Did a hard reset, and it wouldn't boot up anymore. It just makes that clicking sound and doesn't boot up/play any audio or video.

Something in there failed. I was able to get the FF disc out, at least.